PDA

View Full Version : Vogel's Lead Assistant

wseward
06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Brian Shaw will interview with Frank Vogel and Larry Bird this week for the Pacers lead assistant coach position, according to a source.

BringJackBack
06-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Change the thread title name. It's Shaw that will be the lead assistant. -_- :laugh:

Anyways, dude, this is potentially a GREAT hire!!! Holy balls I had no idea this was possible!

wseward
06-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Thread title changed.

I am excited for it as well, just worried he could bolt after the year is over but we can always find a replacement.

I do love the young duo of Vogel and Shaw at the helm.

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I like Shaw he can shoot good in warmups still lol

I dont know what he will bring basketball wise and i have no clue why he chose to leave LA did they not want him back?

MrSparko
06-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Mike Brown probably wanted to bring his own people in.

graphic-er
06-19-2011, 11:58 PM
I think it actually makes sense for Shaw who in the past might been seen as a guy who rode Phil's coat tails to success over the past few years. If he comes here and help revive the Pacers franchise then then he will be seen as a guy who will get alot of credit, much like Mike Brown did with RC.

rock747
06-19-2011, 11:59 PM
Just read this.... this would be a very good hire. If vogel doesn't work out, we have a young head coach right behind him.

Hicks
06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Shaw owes this franchise some good fortune. Guy had knack for being a pain in our *** as a player seemingly everywhere he played!

Heisenberg
06-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Bring the Rifleman with him

granger33
06-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Be great to nab him. I thought he was going to be a HC next season so to have him under Vogel would be terrific

Trophy
06-20-2011, 12:14 AM
That would be a great hire and hopefully we get it done.

I've liked Shaw even to be a head coach.

He has a lot to bring to this team.

Heisenberg
06-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Hell, bring that entire staff. Shaw, Hamblen, and Person. Shaw's interviewing, Hamblen "would be interested," Chuck's Chuck, our money's as green as anyone else's.

I'm being serious, bring em all.

Sookie
06-20-2011, 12:28 AM
This would be fantastic. Honestly, we could have the guy that Kobe Bryant wanted as a coach..as our assistant coach. Think about that.

It's a good combination of respect from the players, because of what the guy has done, but not enough to overstep Vogel, because Shaw is an assistant coach.

It also shows, once again, that Vogel tends to do what is right for this franchise. Just like not squeezing unnecessary wins out of the team at the end of the season, he hires someone that would make firing Vogel if needed, pretty easy. (I hope it's not needed, and I don't think it will be..but that's a great assistant hire.)

Will Galen
06-20-2011, 12:33 AM

I dont know what he will bring basketball wise and i have no clue why he chose to leave LA did they not want him back?

I read the Laker's were cleaning house to get rid of all Phil Jackson's influence.

imawhat
06-20-2011, 12:40 AM
I'm not sure what Shaw can add to the team, but I'm glad we'd be able to get one of Phil Jackson's top assistant as our assistant. Go Frank!

ECKrueger
06-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Ya, you have to think one of Phil's guys, and the guy supposed to take the LA job would be a pretty solid head assistant. I am pretty pumped.

CableKC
06-20-2011, 01:05 AM
I know what Chuck Person brings to the table ( and, BTW...why isn't he in coming in for an interview given his defense and his ties to the Organization in the past ?), but I have no clue what Brian Shaw is other then being named as a Head Coaching Candidate for the last couple of seasons for whatever reason ( presumably for being Phil Jackson's Assistant ).

What does Shaw bring to the table as an Assistant Coach?

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 02:27 AM
I know what Chuck Person brings to the table ( and, BTW...why isn't he in coming in for an interview given his defense and his ties to the Organization in the past ?), but I have no clue what Brian Shaw is other then being named as a Head Coaching Candidate for the last couple of seasons for whatever reason ( presumably for being Phil Jackson's Assistant ).

What does Shaw bring to the table as an Assistant Coach?

Hopefully a little bit of Phil Jackson.

Phil thought of him as the heir apparent, Kobe wanted him too. Add the success the Lakers have had with him on the bench, well thats enough for me to want him.

Midcoasted
06-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Hopefully a little bit of Phil Jackson.

Phil thought of him as the heir apparent, Kobe wanted him too. Add the success the Lakers have had with him on the bench, well thats enough for me to want him.

Man if we land him we will have a really strong staff with him and Vogel. Vogel is such a good head coach.

Cactus Jax
06-20-2011, 02:58 AM
The Pacers will take the entire Lakers coaching staff from last season, minus Phil, Kobe will demand to be traded to the Pacers, and it all leads to

:trophy:
:devil:

Day-V
06-20-2011, 03:28 AM
The Pacers will take the entire Lakers coaching staff from last season, minus Phil, Kobe will demand to be traded to the Pacers, and it all leads to

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/G4RAWZone/aguycandream.png

Let's make it happen. The jersey looks great!

t1hs0n
06-20-2011, 03:33 AM

Nah, we just draft marshon brooks who's game "is a lot like koby's"

pianoman
06-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Just woke up to this awesome news! If Shaw is interviewing here for a lead assistant's role for a coach who hasn't coached an entire season, you have to think that Frank has really impressed in the short time he's had as head coach. I wouldn't be surprised if Frank did bring in Shaw, Hamblen, Person to fill out his staff. Hell, Kareem isn't with the Lakers anymore, bring him in too!

glazedham42
06-20-2011, 07:38 AM
Shaw will DEFINITELY have some great experience with handling the egos and personalities of NBA guys. Think about all the egos he had to deal with in LA as an asst.

PR07
06-20-2011, 08:53 AM
This would be a pretty good hire I think. Shaw should be a head coach somewhere some day (similar to how Mike Brown was our lead assistant).

indygeezer
06-20-2011, 09:03 AM
Does he know anything other than the Triangle?

Justin Tyme
06-20-2011, 09:25 AM
LOL! LOL! LOL!

I really have no problem with the hire, but laughing at the idea of another Celtic Green connection at coaching. Bill Lamibeer's biggest mistake was never having played a minute in a Celtics uniform. Yes, I one who would like to see Lamibeer as a Pacers coach. Him working with the BIGS and Shaw with the guards could really help the Pacers youth growth.

With Scott being a former guard, both PG & SG, I would hope he could work with Collison, George, and Stephenson to hone their skills. To be quite honest, Shaw just might be the best thing to happen to bring forth the talent many feel Stephenson has.

Being a former Terre Haute native, I would be all in favor of bringing in Frank Hamblen as well.

Really?
06-20-2011, 10:17 AM

I think it would have kind of been weird there with Kobe endorsing Shaw and Brown being the head coach with Shaw as the lead assistant.

Interesting thought just popped into my head (sorry if someone else already said this) but could Bird be putting a plan together where if Vogel didn't do to well by mid season he could fire him and just promote Shaw to head coach, especially seeing that Shaw was a head coaching candidate this year.

duke dynamite
06-20-2011, 10:18 AM
No, but I bet he knows the "Flying V".

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fdejJGbaRV8/TBcKlh8Lg0I/AAAAAAAAAt8/VEiUHkb3Lc8/s1600/Picture+65.png

Unclebuck
06-20-2011, 10:43 AM

He played 14 years in the NBA and only 3 years did he play in the triangle system

Granted he coached 6 years under Phil Jackson

From what I've read and seen he is very, very good relating to the players

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Just read this.... this would be a very good hire. If vogel doesn't work out, we have a young head coach right behind him.

That actually might be a negative instead of a positive. He has less head coaching experience than Frank does. Also, if he is next in line, will he be loyal to Frank? I would really prefer an older Dick Harter "type" of coach who is not a threat but can help Frank along. But, as long as the next assistant is not a younger guy it could still work out.

jcouts
06-20-2011, 11:58 AM
I'd personally be thrilled to have Shaw as the lead assistant.

I really wonder how much his ties to Bird from their time together as teammates on the Celtics from 88-91 had to do with him coming in for the interview.

Phree Refill
06-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow. I never thought i'd be so excited over an assistant coach's interview. But if we can snag the Laker's brain trust from the last few years it would be one of the most solid offseason moves we could make... regardless of what we do player wise.

Hicks
06-20-2011, 12:39 PM
Would anyone not be happy about this?

I hope this works out.

Trophy
06-20-2011, 12:43 PM
I remember watching something about him on NBA TV.

It was pretty upsetting and after seeing that, he became one of my favorite coaches in this league and the fact that he can wind up on Vogel's staff is great.

He won't tolerate any crap from players and he'll be like what Clark is for this team and its players.

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 12:44 PM

I hope this works out.

If they dont get an assistant with some head coaching experience to go with him - Im not happy.

Someone on the staff needs to be experienced. Vogel has more experience than Shaw. Hopefully, they will get an older coach to go with them and it will all work out fine. Guess I should wait to see who the rest of the staff is before getting excited or complaining!

PR07
06-20-2011, 12:59 PM
I feel like Shaw has a lot of experience. It not be as a head coach, but the guy has been around plenty of NBA locker rooms and should earn the respect of the players having been an NBA player himself.

Young
06-20-2011, 01:19 PM
This would be a great hire. After Mike Brown was hired as the Lakers head coach the thought crossed my mind that Brian Shaw would be excellent to have in Indiana but I never thought it was possible. I really thought he would get a head coaching job somewhere.

The Pacers are a team on the rise. This will help Shaw become a head coach. Like others on here I would be happy if Frank Hamblen and Chuck Person were brought in as well.

CableKC
06-20-2011, 01:23 PM
I remember watching something about him on NBA TV.

It was pretty upsetting and after seeing that, he became one of my favorite coaches in this league and the fact that he can wind up on Vogel's staff is great.

He won't tolerate any crap from players and he'll be like what Clark is for this team and its players.
If this is the case, then I would have no problem having Shaw on the Coaching Staff.

BillS
06-20-2011, 01:32 PM
If they dont get an assistant with some head coaching experience to go with him - Im not happy.

Someone on the staff needs to be experienced. Vogel has more experience than Shaw. Hopefully, they will get an older coach to go with them and it will all work out fine. Guess I should wait to see who the rest of the staff is before getting excited or complaining!

So you won't be happy unless they get a head coach who isn't good enough to be a head coach today for some reason?

I can't think of any other former head coach who would be willing to come back as an assistant. Someone qualified who has head coaching experience would be more likely to come in AS head coach and have Vogel as lead assistant.

Speed
06-20-2011, 01:43 PM
As long as Shaw and Vogel are on the same page and the hierarchy isn't in question, I am really excited about it. I have no reason to believe that will be a problem, just observational concern based on the experience of both coaches. Shaw, obviously, has eyes on being a Head Coach someday, I just want to make sure its realized this isn't they day.

graphic-er
06-20-2011, 01:44 PM
Lets hope we don't here some rumor through the vine that Bird and Morway some how screwed this up. Its seems like a no brainer. Would be great to have this guy in house and Vogel named coach before the draft.

MyFavMartin
06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Whose the guy working for Dallas with RC that was mentioned? Would he be redundant to Person (defensive coach)? What does Shaw do so well that makes him a good tab, other than manage egoes (as I don't see egoes as a problem with this team, other than maybe Lance)?

The Sleeze
06-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Whose the guy working for Dallas with RC that was mentioned? Would he be redundant to Person (defensive coach)? What does Shaw do so well that makes him a good tab, other than manage egoes (as I don't see egoes as a problem with this team, other than maybe Lance)?

Dwayne Casey, but he was just hired as the Raptors head coach.

Brad8888
06-20-2011, 01:58 PM

I hope this works out.

Flox (although Shaw was a three point shooter), O'Bird...that's about it from what I can tell.

Brad8888
06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/G4RAWZone/aguycandream.png

Let's make it happen. The jersey looks great!

Wonder what he would look like in the newly designed unis that were designed by others here on PD earlier this spring?

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 02:09 PM
So you won't be happy unless they get a head coach who isn't good enough to be a head coach today for some reason?

I can't think of any other former head coach who would be willing to come back as an assistant. Someone qualified who has head coaching experience would be more likely to come in AS head coach and have Vogel as lead assistant.

We have a head coach with very minimal experience. Shaw has no experience. He could be a great hire, we just need someone to help Frank along. If you remember, Bird had a very experienced AC - Harter, and one AC with very little experience - Carlisle. That seemed to be a great match for an inexperienced coach.

If Vogel was a veteran coach, I would be ok. But let me make this point loud and clear, I am not going to get too excited or upset over an assistant coach. We need players!

graphic-er
06-20-2011, 02:16 PM
We have a head coach with very minimal experience. Shaw has no experience. He could be a great hire, we just need someone to help Frank along. If you remember, Bird had a very experienced AC - Harter, and one AC with very little experience - Carlisle. That seemed to be a great match for an inexperienced coach.

If Vogel was a veteran coach, I would be ok. But let me make this point loud and clear, I am not going to get too excited or upset over an assistant coach. We need players!

I thinkn Shaw has plenty of experience. I mean what do you think Phil Jackson did all those years in LA. He certainly didn't coach X's and O's. Half the time he just sat on the bench with his head down. It was said that many times during the game he wouldn't even call a huddle during a timeout.

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 02:53 PM
I thinkn Shaw has plenty of experience. I mean what do you think Phil Jackson did all those years in LA. He certainly didn't coach X's and O's. Half the time he just sat on the bench with his head down. It was said that many times during the game he wouldn't even call a huddle during a timeout.

How many games has Shaw been a head coach? So, he has no HC experience and cannot possibly help Vogel with those issues. But the biggest worry I have would be loyalty. He would not be there to help Frank, he would be there to take his job as soon as he could. So in essence, he would have inscentive to hinder Frank, not help him.

PR07
06-20-2011, 02:57 PM
How many games has Shaw been a head coach? So, he has no HC experience and cannot possibly help Vogel with those issues. But the biggest worry I have would be loyalty. He would not be there to help Frank, he would be there to take his job as soon as he could. So in essence, he would have inscentive to hinder Frank, not help him.

I think Shaw's biggest concern right now is finding a coaching job. He either is or soon-will-be jobless and that's incentive enough to try to make it work with the Pacers. The best way to get to greener pastures is by acting like a professional.

flox
06-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Flox (although Shaw was a three point shooter), O'Bird...that's about it from what I can tell.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1241152&postcount=40

So my question now becomes: how attractive of a place is Indiana really to coach?

I wouldn't be upset if we managed to pluck Shaw out of this. If we rehire Vogel and plug in Shaw as an assistant with the promise that he gets the first crack if Vogel doesn't work out..I'd be all over that right now.

glazedham42
06-20-2011, 03:02 PM
There's no singular recipe for building a great team. If there was, everyone would be doing it. To me, if you want to build a successful team you grab the good pieces that are available to you when you can. Brian Shaw is a great piece for our team. I think he would make a really nice addition to our bench.

glazedham42
06-20-2011, 03:06 PM
How do we know for sure that Vogel is going to be in this meeting? Is it possible that Shaw is interviewing for the head coaching position?

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 03:13 PM
I think Shaw's biggest concern right now is finding a coaching job. He either is or soon-will-be jobless and that's incentive enough to try to make it work with the Pacers. The best way to get to greener pastures is by acting like a professional.

I hear you on that! I am not against Shaw, I was just pointing out some potential negatives that may come with him. There will be positives too. I just cant get over how Vogel is searching for candidates because he has too, not because he wants too.

Unclebuck
06-20-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't see it mentioned in this thread, but Chuck person has been offered an assistant coaching position with the Lakers. No word yet on whether he will accept.
Don't forget Chuck was on the Pacers staff when Mike Brown was our lead assistant

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6679750&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

Hicks
06-20-2011, 03:59 PM

What issues do you have in mind that only a former head coach can know or offer advice about?

For that matter, aren't you forgetting that Larry Bird (Head coach for 3 years) is available for advice?

Hicks
06-20-2011, 04:00 PM
How do we know for sure that Vogel is going to be in this meeting? Is it possible that Shaw is interviewing for the head coaching position?

Well for sure nobody knows, but I think it's pretty damned reasonable to assume Mike would know the difference between the two.

Tom White
06-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Lets hope we don't here some rumor through the vine that Bird and Morway some how screwed this up. Its seems like a no brainer. Would be great to have this guy in house and Vogel named coach before the draft.

So you're still on that "knock the FO at every damn opportunity" wagon, huh?

You need to get a new act.

Heisenberg
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I do think it'd have to be made abundantly clear that Shaw'd be Frank's assistant.

Maybe I've gotten cynical, but I kinda think Shaw'd want to come here because Frank's probably going to be cheap (read: fireable) and he'd be an obvious choice to take over. Hope that's not the case, hope he would just enjoy working UNDER Frank.

BillS
06-20-2011, 04:37 PM
What issues do you have in mind that only a former head coach can know or offer advice about?

For that matter, aren't you forgetting that Larry Bird (Head coach for 3 years) is available for advice?

While I don't agree that only a head coach is experienced enough to be an assistant to Frank, I am certainly one of the "needs more experience" promoters.

While LJB is available for advice on long-term issues, he isn't going to be in the huddle for in-game situations.

In disagreement with troyc11a, I believe Shaw has the right kind of experience to add to Vogel's base, as much due to his playing career veteran status as it is due to any longevity as an assistant coach. Because of that, he meets my personal experience criterion as someone with the ability to help our players and staff learn from other people's mistakes instead of having to make their own.

Since86
06-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Becoming a NBA head coach is kind of like becoming a scientologist. You have to get "accepted" into their ranks, and then pay your dues (or money if we're talking about scientology) in order to get the Secret Books of Experience.

And then I hear they take in you to this special place and implant certain philosophies into your brain. So like, if you wanted to play an uptempo pace, they'll inject you with the same crap they gave JOb and D'Antoni. Or if you can choose the Rick Carlisle path or the Phil Jackson etc.

Do you happen to think these guys do this stuff on their own? Hell no. It's all a secret fraternity. You have to become a Stern "Made Man" before you really know anything about basketball.

PaceBalls
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Shaw a protege of Phil Jackson and the triangle offense? And isn't Vogel a protege of Pitino/O'brien's? I would think that Vogel would want assistants that are familiar with the Pitino coaching style.

It's always good to have guys who can look at your system objectively, but you would think getting people with experience in your strategies would be very important. Or maybe Vogel is going to scrap the 15 years of tutelage he went through and try something completely new... which wouldn't make much sense. I mean why bring him back if you want him to coach a style he is unfamiliar with.

All these well known assistants are great and all, but getting big names isn't what it's about.

Maybe I am putting too much emphasis people being from the same schools of strategy. :shrug:

Heisenberg
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Kinda wish the Bucks would just get it over with and go ahead and fire Skiles so we could hire him to coach the D.

Scot Pollard
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Hell, bring that entire staff. Shaw, Hamblen, and Person. Shaw's interviewing, Hamblen "would be interested," Chuck's Chuck, our money's as green as anyone else's.

I'm being serious, bring em all.

The Lakers had Jim Cleamons and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on their staff too.

LA_Confidential
06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
I am more than excited by this bit of news. Shaw was Phil's Michael Corleone for some time. I believe he is well equipped to run his own show so i have no doubts he'd be a slam dunk hire at his own position.

Loyalty is a factor but hey, I dont hear anyone else giving Shaw a shot at the moment. He's an experieced coach, head coach or not. He knows what it takes to win. He's been around guys with ferocious work ethics and its been said that he is well respected league wide.

Sandman21
06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Shaw, Rifleman, Hamblen, heck, even Kareem if we can get him (not likely) Bring em all in!

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
While I don't agree that only a head coach is experienced enough to be an assistant to Frank, I am certainly one of the "needs more experience" promoters.

While LJB is available for advice on long-term issues, he isn't going to be in the huddle for in-game situations.

In disagreement with troyc11a, I believe Shaw has the right kind of experience to add to Vogel's base, as much due to his playing career veteran status as it is due to any longevity as an assistant coach. Because of that, he meets my personal experience criterion as someone with the ability to help our players and staff learn from other people's mistakes instead of having to make their own.

You are not disagreeing with me at all. I do not think that Shaw is a bad hire, nor do I disagree that he could add to "Vogel's base." My personal opinion is that there needs to be a more experienced guy on the staff as well. Not "in replace of" Shaw, but "in additions too" him.
And, I was pointing out potential problems because this is a discussion board. Nobody can guarantee that any or all of my concerns will or will not come true. That's why this is a board, to discuss the issues.

Smoothdave1
06-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I would gladly take Shaw as he's known for being able to relate to the players and get a lot from the players he coaches. My understanding was that he was very involved with a lot of the Laker coaching decisions under Phil (along with Chuck).

Also, if I remember correctly, Shaw was a finalist to become the Pacers Head Coach the year we hired JOB.

Ideally, I would love to see the Pacers keep Vogel as HC, bring in Shaw as an assistant, bring in an older coach like a Frank Hamblen or Dick Harter-esque type coach and then maybe a guy like a Terry Porter, Sam Mitchell, Chuck Person, Terry Stotts, Mike Woodson, etc.

I could see the Pacers doing something similar to the Colts where they had Dungy as head-coach and Caldwell as Associate Head Coach if and when we hire Shaw.

cdash
06-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Haven't read this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but here's an idea for an experienced assistant that packs a punch locally: Keith Smart.

Ozwalt72
06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Shaw a protege of Phil Jackson and the triangle offense? And isn't Vogel a protege of Pitino/O'brien's? I would think that Vogel would want assistants that are familiar with the Pitino coaching style.
:shrug:

Argh!

You've stumbled upon my genius plan! It would revolutionize basketball to a degree that is absolutely beautiful. Picture this if you will: Elements of the triangle offense infused with the greatest shot in the sport.

The Trifecta offense, where the only shot is the three point shot.

Love,

Jim Obrien

pwee31
06-20-2011, 09:20 PM
I think Brian Shaw would be a great hire as lead assistant. Actually excited about an assistant coach.

Would we round it out with another Lakers assistant is Shaw gets the lead assistant, or go a different direction?

Ozwalt72
06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Would we round it out with another Lakers assistant is Shaw gets the lead assistant, or go a different direction?

Well, Shaw obviously has connections of his own, but we probably wouldn't hire one of the other Laker assistants. At least in my view. Say we are fairly successful next year and Shaw finally lands a head coaching position, we are then likely out two assistants rather than one.

Sandman21
06-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Well, Shaw obviously has connections of his own, but we probably wouldn't hire one of the other Laker assistants. At least in my view. Say we are fairly successful next year and Shaw finally lands a head coaching position, we are then likely out two assistants rather than one.

I dont know, I think Hamblen might stay in his native state a little longer than that.:cool:

troyc11a
Haven't read this thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but here's an idea for an experienced assistant that packs a punch locally: Keith Smart.

I like it!
Calbert Chaney now the Head of BB operations at IU. Keith Smart on the Pacer Bench! Im lovin' it!
He is a viable candidate AND available!

rabid

It's always good to have guys who can look at your system objectively, but you would think getting people with experience in your strategies would be very important. Or maybe Vogel is going to scrap the 15 years of tutelage he went through and try something completely new... which wouldn't make much sense. I mean why bring him back if you want him to coach a style he is unfamiliar with.

All these well known assistants are great and all, but getting big names isn't what it's about.

Maybe I am putting too much emphasis people being from the same schools of strategy. :shrug:

Vogel already did a near-180-degree change from OB's strategy in only a half season (no more chucking up 3's, play "smashmouth basketball," etc). Just because Vogel worked under Pitino and OB doesn't automatically mean he wants to coach the same system. If anything I think Vogel is likely to alter his system to fit the personnel when needed, rather than try to push a certain bball ideology.

Many coaches change or evolve their philosophies throughout their careers. Phil Jackson, for example, didn't start preaching the triangle offense until he took over the Bulls in '89, even though he'd been an assistant coach and player under totally different systems.

Merz
06-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Becoming a NBA head coach is kind of like becoming a scientologist. You have to get "accepted" into their ranks, and then pay your dues (or money if we're talking about scientology) in order to get the Secret Books of Experience.

And then I hear they take in you to this special place and implant certain philosophies into your brain. So like, if you wanted to play an uptempo pace, they'll inject you with the same crap they gave JOb and D'Antoni. Or if you can choose the Rick Carlisle path or the Phil Jackson etc.

Do you happen to think these guys do this stuff on their own? Hell no. It's all a secret fraternity. You have to become a Stern "Made Man" before you really know anything about basketball.

So...is Mark Jackson going to end up with pneumonia?

cdash
06-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I like it!
Calbert Chaney now the Head of BB operations at IU. Keith Smart on the Pacer Bench! Im lovin' it!
He is a viable candidate AND available!

Yeah honestly that is what made me think of it. I was watching the press conference introducing Calbert Cheaney at IU and he was saying Keith Smart is looking around for an NBA job currently, and it just seems to be a nice fit to me.

pwee31
06-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah I was thinking Hamblen might round it out if Shaw was selected, seeing that he was mentioned even before Shaw

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah honestly that is what made me think of it. I was watching the press conference introducing Calbert Cheaney at IU and he was saying Keith Smart is looking around for an NBA job currently, and it just seems to be a nice fit to me.

It would seem that a coach with little experience would want someone with head coaching experience on the staff. I never thought of Smart at all. I actually would rather have him onboard than Shaw to be honest. But then again, I dont know any of these men and will not be in the room when they interview. I actually thought Smart got the short end in GS. Didnt they finish 10 games or so better than the year before?

Brad8888
06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1241152&postcount=40

My apologies, good sir. I stand corrected (actually sit at my computer corrected). :blush:

pacergod2
06-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Brian Shaw had a tremendous basketball IQ as a player. He was one of those guys you looked at as clearly heading into coaching. He was always adapting on court. I would love to have Shaw around. Extremely personal, yet a great competitor. He was a never the type of player with an ego that couldn't handle being a backup. I would love to have he and Hamblen.

Since86
06-21-2011, 11:38 AM
So...is Mark Jackson going to end up with pneumonia?

I was hoping more like laryngitis so I didn't have to listen to him after he flakes out.