PDA

View Full Version : Granger and Infero for Jefferson?

PacerPenguins
06-19-2011, 09:47 PM
http://www.buzzcrunch.net/2011/06/2011-nba-trade-rumors-–-jazz-shopping-jefferson/

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979465193

i wouldnt do it..... maybe if it was inferno granger and 15 for jefferson and 3 .... but idk

Psyren
06-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Al Jefferson has made every team he's ever been on worse.

Absolutely, 100%, no question about it, NO!

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 09:51 PM
no. No. NO! Jefferson is a horrible fit next to Hibbert. If it included #3 I still don't know if I'd do it.

BringJackBack
06-19-2011, 09:51 PM
I don't trust either source, and my common sense tells me that this would never happen.

ECKrueger
06-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but NO.

Shade
06-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Not this again... :picard:

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
If this would happen I would try to trade Jefferson for Josh Smith.

Smoothdave1
06-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Considering the article said the Jazz "signed Al Jefferson", I don't know how much stock I would put in this rumor.

Jefferson is a solid player, but we could have had him a couple of years ago for Granger straight up. I honestly think that Bird will hold out for more. I think he wants the package of an expiring contract, pick and a young player for Granger. For example, if Utah were to offer say Okur, #3 and Hayward, maybe Bird pulls the trigger?

I would tend to guess that Bird might try and pry someone like Millsap or Favors away, though.

Jrod Jones
06-19-2011, 10:02 PM
For example, if Utah were to offer say Okur, #3 and Hayward, maybe Bird pulls the trigger?

Ew.

xBulletproof
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
We didn't make the the deal with Minnesota, why would we with Utah? Unless we truthfully believe Paul George is a SF.

ECKrueger
06-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Double ew.

rock747
06-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Dear lord, when I saw this thread I thought Richard Jefferson. The Al Jefferson trade doesn't seem as bad now...

definetly wouldn't do it though.

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
I want Favors so bad. But Utah most likely wont give him up as he is their future.

Isaac
06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Al Jefferson has made every team he's ever been on worse.

Absolutely, 100%, no question about it, NO!

Could that have to do with the fact that the teams he joined lost Kevin Garnett and Deron Williams the season he arrived?

I actually agree with your premise but still. Al Jeff is one of the best post scorers in the league. I would still rather have Milsap though.

pwee31
06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
So we've heard Granger to the Wolves for Rubio, Beasley and #2, and we've heard Granger and Dahntay for Al Jefferson?

So the Pacers are being very active, and everyone is asking for Granger.

I predict the Pacers will.... draft a player at #15 and #42

Heisenberg
06-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I want Favors so bad. But Utah most likely wont give him up as he is their future.
Utah wants Danny we start with Favors + 12 at the very least. No reason to bring in Jefferson w/o keeping Danny, wouldn't want him then. I doubt Utah even has much interest in Danny.

Anthem
06-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Absolutely not.

Kemo
06-19-2011, 10:30 PM
HELL NO!! ...... and uhhhmm... HELL NO...

ChristianDudley
06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
I watched the Jazz quite a bit last season, and what I really noticed near the end of the season is that Big Al seemed to quit on his team, and that was back when they were fighting for one of the last playoff seeds. That makes my answer say NO to him as I didn't like what I saw when the team needed him to step up the most. However, I'd much rather have Paul Millsap.

jeffg-body
06-19-2011, 10:46 PM
No thanks on Jefferson but I'd do a Granger+15, Rush for Favors+12 if it works cap wise.

vnzla81
06-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Hell yes, a 20/10 center that nobody can't stop for Danny? :signit:

edit: if we can get one of their picks and get Jimmer, I would call it a success.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm not sold on Jefferson, but I recall reading/hearing that he can do whatever he wants in the post offensively, he obviously can rebound (though as we've learned, rebound stats can be very deceiving), and while people knock his defense, I took a gander at his stats on Synergy, and here's what I found:

Overall, his opponents shot 38.5% from the field against him. 43.1% in isolation, 50% when he guarded the ball handler in a pick and roll (though this is only 4 times all season, they made two shots), 35.5% in the post, 35.7% on pick and rolls where he guarded the roll man, 43.1% against spot up shooters, 40% off screens, and 22.2% on hand offs. The only area he got torched was when spot-up shooters from the 3 point line got him; they hit 44.7% from out there. But is that really surprising that a lumbering C/F struggles against guarding the 3 point line?

Where's the terrible defense there?

xBulletproof
06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm not sold on Jefferson, but I recall reading/hearing that he can do whatever he wants in the post offensively, he obviously can rebound (though as we've learned, rebound stats can be very deceiving), and while people knock his defense, I took a gander at his stats on Synergy, and here's what I found:

Overall, his opponents shot 38.5% from the field against him. 43.1% in isolation, 50% when he guarded the ball handler in a pick and roll (though this is only 4 times all season, they made two shots), 35.5% in the post, 35.7% on pick and rolls where he guarded the roll man, 43.1% against spot up shooters, 40% off screens, and 22.2% on hand offs.

Do us all a favor .... what were Troy Murphys numbers? lol

Hicks
06-19-2011, 10:52 PM
To put that in some perspective, Roy Hibberts DefFG%'s are worse across the board. Considerably.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Do us all a favor .... what were Troy Murphys numbers? lol

I mean I can look, but I doubt it means hardly anything considering how little he played this year. Maybe I should look for his 09-10 %'s?

righteouscool
06-19-2011, 10:53 PM
This makes no sense. What do we do with Hibbert then?

I'm pretty sure you would give Danny up for almost anything at this point.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Troy Murphy during his last year with Indy: 44.9% overall, 37.9% iso, 20% P&R Ball Handler (though only 5 attempts all year), 56.5% in the post (OUCH!), 43.9% P&R Roll Man, 41.9% spot up, 39.1% off screen, and 50% hand offs. 41.6% for overall 3 point FG%.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 10:56 PM
As for me, I'm still holding on to the belief that you can play a large PF with an even larger (or, more accurately in our case, taller and longer) C, so I'd try a power lineup with Jefferson at the 4 and live with it defensively; dare teams to shoot over us over the long haul.

vnzla81
06-19-2011, 10:56 PM

Overall, his opponents shot 38.5% from the field against him. 43.1% in isolation, 50% when he guarded the ball handler in a pick and roll (though this is only 4 times all season, they made two shots), 35.5% in the post, 35.7% on pick and rolls where he guarded the roll man, 43.1% against spot up shooters, 40% off screens, and 22.2% on hand offs. The only area he got torched was when spot-up shooters from the 3 point line got him; they hit 44.7% from out there. But is that really surprising that a lumbering C/F struggles against guarding the 3 point line?

He plays good defense his problem is that he never had the chance to play with a power forward that could play D(Love,Milsap)

vnzla81
06-19-2011, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=righteouscool;1252954]This makes no sense. What do we do with Hibbert then?

Trade him for another player? :confused:

I'm pretty sure you would give Danny up for almost anything at this point.

Al Jefferson is not almost anything, he is a 25 years old center that nobody in the NBA can guard one on one, 20/10 centers are harder to find that guys like Danny.

CableKC
06-19-2011, 11:07 PM
As for me, I'm still holding on to the belief that you can play a large PF with an even larger (or, more accurately in our case, taller and longer) C, so I'd try a power lineup with Jefferson at the 4 and live with it defensively; dare teams to shoot over us over the long haul.
Control of the paint is something that I'd love to have. If we are to keep Vogel and continue "Smashmouth Basketball", I want to have a Frontcourt that can dominate and control the paint on the defensive end. Having a Frontcourt duo of Jefferson and Hibbert is certainly tempting given their ability to block shots.

The only part that I'm trying to figure out is that if picks aren't involved...then how can this trade work out? Just a regular trade not involving picks under the old CBA?

CableKC
06-19-2011, 11:11 PM
He plays good defense his problem is that he never had the chance to play with a power forward that could play D(Love,Milsap)
Is he more of a Center or PF?

Cuz....he'd certainly play some PF minutes next to Hibbert who does a very bad impression of a PF.

vnzla81
06-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Is he more of a Center or PF?

Cuz....he'd certainly play some PF minutes next to Hibbert who does a very bad impression of a PF.

He could play either position depending of who is playing center or power forward with him, if I was the pacers and I get Al, I would trade Hibbert for a center or power forward that could play D or sign one(Varejao,Chandler,Jsmith)

CableKC
06-19-2011, 11:29 PM
I can certainly live with a PF/C rotation of Hansbrough and Jefferson.....which would REALLY solve A LOT of problems for Hansbrough in the rotation....the real question is whether Jefferson can play next to Hibbert. On paper....if we had a perimeter scoring PF...I'd go with Hansbrough defending that type of Player ( seriously, he's not super athletic...but perimeter scoring PFs aren't used to having an aggressive and strong Player like Hansbrough defending them that really gets in their grill ).

On the offensive and defensive end, could Players like Hibbert and AlJeff share the space effectively?

Hicks
06-19-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm not high on him, but I could see Atlanta taking Hibbert for Josh Smith, and then of course Josh fits (theoretically, anyway) well next to Al Jefferson.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 11:31 PM
On the offensive and defensive end, could Players like Hibbert and AlJeff share the space effectively?

I think so; sure. There's two sides to every half court, and there's always the option of going high-low.

PR07
06-19-2011, 11:31 PM
I'm not high on him, but I could see Atlanta taking Hibbert for Josh Smith, and then of course Josh fits (theoretically, anyway) well next to Al Jefferson.

I'd rather make that trade, keep Granger, and then go all-in for Marc Gasol.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 11:32 PM
I'd rather make that trade, keep Granger, and then go all-in for Marc Gasol.

And then Memphis matches on Gasol, and we lose. ;)

BringJackBack
06-19-2011, 11:37 PM
When I think of Jefferson/Hibbert I think of Gasol/Bynum.. And those are some great thoughts to have. If we could snag him for anything but Granger/George/maybe Hibbert I'd have to do it.

Trader Joe
06-19-2011, 11:39 PM
The guy went to Utah, and the went in the dump. And the guy he replaced was someone I'm not totally sold on, Boozer. But clearly Utah was better with Boozer.

CableKC
06-19-2011, 11:55 PM
I think so; sure. There's two sides to every half court, and there's always the option of going high-low.
Thanks....next question....Not only does he have to fit in next to the Frontcourt ( Hansbrough and Hibbert ), it's been often said that one of the reasons why DC isn't as effective in Indy as he was in New Orleans was because the Team didn't really have a solid "Pick and Roll" guy to pair with.

How good of a "pick and roll" Big Man is AlJeff?

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 11:59 PM
I'd rather do Granger to Jazz, Jefferson to Atlanta, and Josh Smith to the Pacers trade.

Hicks
06-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Thanks....next question....Not only does he have to fit in next to the Frontcourt ( Hansbrough and Hibbert ), it's been often said that one of the reasons why DC isn't as effective in Indy as he was in New Orleans was because the Team didn't really have a solid "Pick and Roll" guy to pair with.

How good of a "pick and roll" Big Man is AlJeff?

That, I have no idea.

Sookie
06-20-2011, 12:38 AM

Right, I know everyone likes Roy in the low post, but I think he's better when he works both. He passes well from the high post (doesn't seem to get as flustered) and he has a nice shot from there, even though it didn't seem to show up this season.

Plus, two bigs can definitely play there. It makes things a little more difficult for players to drive, but most of our perimeter players would rather stay out on the perimeter anyway. :laugh:

CableKC
06-20-2011, 01:00 AM
I'd rather do Granger to Jazz, Jefferson to Atlanta, and Josh Smith to the Pacers trade.
Between the two....I know that Josh Smith is the household name that everyone would prefer.....but if had to choose between the two....I'd prefer AlJeff as he's better suited to play next to Hibbert AND Hansbrough in the Frontcourt...whereas I wouldn't be enamored with a Hansbrough/JoshSmith Frontcourt.

For me, Josh Smith maybe a better highlight reel waiting to happen and would be a solid Forward to add to the rotation....but for me, it's a matter of flexibility where AlJeff better complements our likely frontcourt.

JB24
06-20-2011, 01:21 AM
Can Jefferson play with Hibbert? I don't see any way he doesn't get murdered by most starting fours in today's league. There's a reason his team's use him as a center even though he's clearly undersized.

Taterhead
06-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Bigs are way more important than SF's. We have a good replacement for Danny already in Paul George. If we could get Gordon Hayward in the deal it would ease the pain of losing 2 wings like Danny and Dahntay.

Al Jefferson is 26 years old, and averaged 19 and 10 last year. We've been wanting a PF that can play C, and he is about as good as we can hope for.

We should bring him in and slim him down and turn him loose on the PF's in the east. He played PF in Boston early in his career. There's no reason he couldn't now.

Can Jefferson play with Hibbert? I don't see any way he doesn't get murdered by most starting fours in today's league. There's a reason his team's use him as a center even though he's clearly undersized.

Because there aren't any good centers. We have a good center to pair him up with for once.

Al played PF to start his career when he was in Boston, for what it's worth.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 02:33 AM
I am actually looking forward to the lockout so these "rumors" stop...

Peck
06-20-2011, 02:38 AM
Oh good lord no.

I have watched a defensive battle between Troy Murphy & Al Jefferson & for the life of me I could not figure out who cared the least between them.

Here is actual video of Al playing defense.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IQRjLClOrvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

vnzla81
06-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Yep we don't need this guy

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wit1KmUhx0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Foul on Smits
06-20-2011, 07:09 AM
I rather trade Granger for a Jefferson Starship reunion concert.

Frostwolf
06-20-2011, 07:37 AM
al is slow slow slow. al-roy would be one of the slowest frontcourts in the league. al also doesn't play great defense.

Frostwolf
06-20-2011, 07:50 AM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wit1KmUhx0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

we don't need this guy either.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XKus4uXLyrY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hicks
06-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Oh good lord no.

I have watched a defensive battle between Troy Murphy & Al Jefferson & for the life of me I could not figure out who cared the least between them.

Here is actual video of Al playing defense.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IQRjLClOrvw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll go with the Synergy stats over what you saw in one single game.

Besides, if you were playing against Troy and that Pacer team in a regular season game, maybe you wouldn't completely give a damn, either. ;)

Gamble1
06-20-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks for pulling up the defensive numbers on Al. Personally I am torn with a trade like this. I think Danny is valueable but I am not sure if Al is more valueable in the long run. A trade like this is an effort to make us play like Memphis where Hibbert is a weaker version of Gasol and Al is bigger version of Zach.

All things considered its not the best duo but its not bad either and in the low post it would work well.

Right, I know everyone likes Roy in the low post, but I think he's better when he works both. He passes well from the high post (doesn't seem to get as flustered) and he has a nice shot from there, even though it didn't seem to show up this season.

This was my initial thought too. You have to switch it up with Hibbert and Al if its going to work.

Looking at Roy:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width="100%" bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot selection <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Shot</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Jump</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>39% </TD><TD align=right>.257 </TD><TD align=right>72% </TD><TD align=right>12% </TD><TD align=right>2.2 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Close</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>47% </TD><TD align=right>.545 </TD><TD align=right>45% </TD><TD align=right>8% </TD><TD align=right>5.6 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Dunk</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>10% </TD><TD align=right>.897 </TD><TD align=right>71% </TD><TD align=right>2% </TD><TD align=right>1.9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Tips</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>4% </TD><TD align=right>.385 </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>.4 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Inside</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>61% </TD><TD align=right>.590 </TD><TD align=right>49% </TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>7.9 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot clock usage <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Secs.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>0-10</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>28% </TD><TD align=right>.544 </TD><TD align=right>50% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>3.3 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>11-15</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>31% </TD><TD align=right>.411 </TD><TD align=right>61% </TD><TD align=right>11% </TD><TD align=right>2.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>16-20</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>26% </TD><TD align=right>.483 </TD><TD align=right>53% </TD><TD align=right>8% </TD><TD align=right>2.7 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>21+</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>15% </TD><TD align=right>.372 </TD><TD align=right>51% </TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>1.3 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Crunch</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>41% </TD><TD align=right>.441 </TD><TD align=right>52% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>4.0 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Now AL:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width="100%" bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot selection <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Shot</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Jump</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>63% </TD><TD align=right>.418 </TD><TD align=right>64% </TD><TD align=right>5% </TD><TD align=right>8.5 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Close</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>26% </TD><TD align=right>.585 </TD><TD align=right>50% </TD><TD align=right>13% </TD><TD align=right>5.0 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Dunk</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>.973 </TD><TD align=right>81% </TD><TD align=right>3% </TD><TD align=right>1.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Tips</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>5% </TD><TD align=right>.478 </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Inside</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>37% </TD><TD align=right>.629 </TD><TD align=right>52% </TD><TD align=right>10% </TD><TD align=right>7.5 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot clock usage <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Secs.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>0-10</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>27% </TD><TD align=right>.559 </TD><TD align=right>46% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>4.9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>11-15</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>24% </TD><TD align=right>.497 </TD><TD align=right>72% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>3.9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>16-20</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>28% </TD><TD align=right>.496 </TD><TD align=right>67% </TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>4.4 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>21+</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>21% </TD><TD align=right>.413 </TD><TD align=right>49% </TD><TD align=right>8% </TD><TD align=right>2.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Crunch</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>48% </TD><TD align=right>.460 </TD><TD align=right>60% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>7.2 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Clearly AL and Hibbert play better in close but both like to take a jumpers especially AL which is why I would use him in the pnp and pnr plays with Collison.

I highly doubt this trade happens but if it did I think it wouldn't be all that bad for the Pacers especially if we could sign or trade for a good sg/sf. Maybe Jason Richardson would keep everybody honest on the double teams down low.

Jim R
06-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I'd hate to see the Pacers put much effort toward Al Jefferson, and I'm not what can be called a Danny Granger fan.

Peck
06-20-2011, 12:33 PM
I'll go with the Synergy stats over what you saw in one single game.

Besides, if you were playing against Troy and that Pacer team in a regular season game, maybe you wouldn't completely give a damn, either. ;)

Oh I've seen Al play a lot more than one game & I'll stand by my impression that Al cares about defense as much as Brandon Rush cares about being heavily involved in the offensive sets.

Peck
06-20-2011, 12:37 PM

We need him like we need this guy.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nCwuhHef5mo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

naptownmenace
06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
The guy went to Utah, and the went in the dump. And the guy he replaced was someone I'm not totally sold on, Boozer. But clearly Utah was better with Boozer.

Utah was still in the playoff picture when they pushed Sloan out the door and then traded Deron Williams. I guess if you want to blame that on Al Jefferson you can but that doesn't make it true.

Deron Williams if healthy for a complete season, is worth at least 30 wins. He's an elite PG.

Also, how can anyone blame Al for the crappy teams he played with on a rebuilding Celtics and Minnesota team?

This trade would actually be a good one for the Pacers, especially if they get the #3 or the #12 draft pick along with Al Jefferson.

vnzla81
06-20-2011, 01:07 PM
We need him like we need this guy.

Al is ten times a better defender than Troy, I remember when people said the same thing about Zbo and now everybody likes him.

Trophy
06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
If we were to get Al Jefferson in a reasonable deal, I'd do it and not look back.

His defense isn't God awful. Not very good either, but he plays the post well against defenders, he'll get a ton of rebounds. I actually see a lot of ZBo in him.

He'd be a nice fit here, but again I wouldn't make an unreasonable offer for him.

We've been rumored to get him between his time in Minnesota and now with Utah.

PR07
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
If I traded for him, I'd want to add him to play alongside Granger.

And then Memphis matches on Gasol, and we lose. ;)

Very true. Maybe we get lucky with a consolation prize of Nene or Tyson Chandler though? :buddies:

MyFavMartin
06-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for pulling up the defensive numbers on Al. Personally I am torn with a trade like this. I think Danny is valueable but I am not sure if Al is more valueable in the long run. A trade like this is an effort to make us play like Memphis where Hibbert is a weaker version of Gasol and Al is bigger version of Zach.

All things considered its not the best duo but its not bad either and in the low post it would work well.

This was my initial thought too. You have to switch it up with Hibbert and Al if its going to work.

Looking at Roy:

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width="100%" bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot selection <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Shot</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Jump</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>39% </TD><TD align=right>.257 </TD><TD align=right>72% </TD><TD align=right>12% </TD><TD align=right>2.2 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Close</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>47% </TD><TD align=right>.545 </TD><TD align=right>45% </TD><TD align=right>8% </TD><TD align=right>5.6 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Dunk</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>10% </TD><TD align=right>.897 </TD><TD align=right>71% </TD><TD align=right>2% </TD><TD align=right>1.9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Tips</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>4% </TD><TD align=right>.385 </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>.4 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Inside</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>61% </TD><TD align=right>.590 </TD><TD align=right>49% </TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>7.9 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot clock usage <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Secs.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>0-10</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>28% </TD><TD align=right>.544 </TD><TD align=right>50% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>3.3 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>11-15</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>31% </TD><TD align=right>.411 </TD><TD align=right>61% </TD><TD align=right>11% </TD><TD align=right>2.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>16-20</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>26% </TD><TD align=right>.483 </TD><TD align=right>53% </TD><TD align=right>8% </TD><TD align=right>2.7 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>21+</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>15% </TD><TD align=right>.372 </TD><TD align=right>51% </TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>1.3 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Crunch</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>41% </TD><TD align=right>.441 </TD><TD align=right>52% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>4.0 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Now AL:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width="100%" bgColor=#000000><TBODY><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot selection <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Shot</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Jump</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>63% </TD><TD align=right>.418 </TD><TD align=right>64% </TD><TD align=right>5% </TD><TD align=right>8.5 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Close</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>26% </TD><TD align=right>.585 </TD><TD align=right>50% </TD><TD align=right>13% </TD><TD align=right>5.0 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Dunk</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>.973 </TD><TD align=right>81% </TD><TD align=right>3% </TD><TD align=right>1.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>Tips</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>5% </TD><TD align=right>.478 </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>0% </TD><TD align=right>.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Inside</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>37% </TD><TD align=right>.629 </TD><TD align=right>52% </TD><TD align=right>10% </TD><TD align=right>7.5 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD><TD width="50%"><CENTER>Shot clock usage <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 width=290 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR bgColor=#e5e5e5><TD bgColor=#33cc33 width=50><CENTER>Secs.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Att.</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>eFG%</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Ast'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Blk'd</CENTER></TD><TD width=48><CENTER>Pts</CENTER></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>0-10</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>27% </TD><TD align=right>.559 </TD><TD align=right>46% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>4.9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>11-15</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>24% </TD><TD align=right>.497 </TD><TD align=right>72% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>3.9 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>16-20</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>28% </TD><TD align=right>.496 </TD><TD align=right>67% </TD><TD align=right>6% </TD><TD align=right>4.4 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#ffffff><TD><CENTER>21+</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>21% </TD><TD align=right>.413 </TD><TD align=right>49% </TD><TD align=right>8% </TD><TD align=right>2.8 </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#f0f0df><TD><CENTER>Crunch</CENTER></TD><TD align=right>48% </TD><TD align=right>.460 </TD><TD align=right>60% </TD><TD align=right>7% </TD><TD align=right>7.2 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></CENTER></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Clearly AL and Hibbert play better in close but both like to take a jumpers especially AL which is why I would use him in the pnp and pnr plays with Collison.

I highly doubt this trade happens but if it did I think it wouldn't be all that bad for the Pacers especially if we could sign or trade for a good sg/sf. Maybe Jason Richardson would keep everybody honest on the double teams down low.

I'd rather have a big guy that shoots closer to the basket than Al.

thefeistyone
06-20-2011, 01:36 PM
I hate to give up Granger, but if we got back the #12 pick, i think i would pull the trigger.

We've got what most of us think is Grangers replacement in George. I know some of you you guys are sold that he's a 2, but i think his natural position in at the 3. You could use the 12th to pick up a back up swingman.

Jefferson can play the 4 and 5, he's still pretty young, and he's got a great offensive skill set. His defense probably isn't as bad as some of you lead on. I've followed Utah for a while, guys like jefferson don't grow on trees. They are way harder to come by than a 3 that settles for jump shots and plays average at best D.

Justin Tyme
06-20-2011, 01:43 PM
we get lucky with a consolation prize of Nene

He's supposedly will sign with Denver b4 the 30th.

Gamble1
06-20-2011, 01:57 PM
Well there are 2 reasons why a big guy doesn't shot close to the basket. One is the system and the other reason is the player. IN 08/09 Al had 49% of his shots up close so I think he not capable of playing down low more.

Certainly I think Vogel would force feed him the ball down low.

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Well there are 2 reasons why a big guy doesn't shot close to the basket. One is the system and the other reason is the player. IN 08/09 Al had 49% of his shots up close so I think he not capable of playing down low more.

Certainly I think Vogel would force feed him the ball down low.

No way I trade Granger for Fat Albert!

troyc11a
06-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Hey man, you know better than to use stats on this board. The facts just get in the way here.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Utah was still in the playoff picture when they pushed Sloan out the door and then traded Deron Williams. I guess if you want to blame that on Al Jefferson you can but that doesn't make it true.

Deron Williams if healthy for a complete season, is worth at least 30 wins. He's an elite PG.

Also, how can anyone blame Al for the crappy teams he played with on a rebuilding Celtics and Minnesota team?

This trade would actually be a good one for the Pacers, especially if they get the #3 or the #12 draft pick along with Al Jefferson.

Utah was going down before Sloan and Williams left. They were playing terrible before that happened.

And really, posting highlight clips to say we need this guy? I can put together highlights of Rasho and make it look impressive.

naptownmenace
06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Al Jefferson was in the best shape of his life last season and can drop 20 (even 30) and 10 on multiple nights. I'm really starting to understand that Indiana Pacers fans have an unfair bias against PFs that can score.

You guys must not remember this:

http://www.nba.com/video/games/pacers/2011/02/25/0021
Jazz-Pacers notebook

By John Oehser, for NBA.com
Posted Friday February 25, 2011 10:31PM

THE FACTS: Al Jefferson's huge fourth quarter helped the Utah Jazz hold off the Indiana Pacers Friday night. Jefferson, who scored 16 of game-high 30 points in the final period, shot 14 of 26 from the field and added eight rebounds as the Jazz maintained a lead throughout much of a 95-84 victory in front of 16,205 at Conseco Fieldhouse in downtown Indianapolis.

or This:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpYxTHKzJSE?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EpYxTHKzJSE?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Hicks
06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey man, you know better than to use stats on this board. The facts just get in the way here.

:rolleyes:

LA_Confidential
06-20-2011, 04:31 PM
In a heartbeat. Al fits the mold of Player X that we have been wanting for quite some time now. In any deal where we gave up Danny I just hope that we milk it for all its worth.

I have no problem with trading our streaky shooting, part time defending, questionable leadership skilled best player for a legitimate 20/10 BIG who would without make us a more physically imposing and dangerous team than Danny does.

BTW, Roy would stay right here in INDY. Teams would fold much quicker if they had to bang with Al, Roy AND Tyler over 48 mins.

vnzla81
06-20-2011, 04:33 PM
By the way I don't understand the Al/Troy comparison, one guy scores most of his points inside and the other relys on jumpers and three pointers, if I was going to compare somebody to Murphy I would say that him and Dirk are similar and as we know Dallas won the Championship with him as the PF.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Is Al Jefferson a franchise player? No. I don't think he makes this team any better. Is he really a level above Granger? I don't see it. When you talk about best PF/C's in the league, Jefferson doesn't come up.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 04:35 PM
By the way I don't understand the Al/Troy comparison, one guy scores most of his points inside and the other relys on jumpers and three pointers, if I was going to compare somebody to Murphy I would say that him and Dirk are similar and as we know Dallas won the Championship with him as the PF.

What? Dirk and Murphy? No, just no. Dirk has an outstanding post game. Murphy has no post game. Murphy is more Brian Cardinal than Dirk Nowitzki.

vnzla81
06-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Is Al Jefferson a franchise player? No. I don't think he makes this team any better. Is he really a level above Granger? I don't see it. When you talk about best PF/C's in the league, Jefferson doesn't come up.

Just because his name doesn't come up doesn't mean he is not good, what are you talking about?

vnzla81
06-20-2011, 04:44 PM
What? Dirk and Murphy? No, just no. Dirk has an outstanding post game. Murphy has no post game. Murphy is more Brian Cardinal than Dirk Nowitzki.

I wouldn't call a fade away jumper "a post game" he plays closer and have some moves but most of his points are jumpers and yes Troy is like a really bad version of Dirk but he is better than Cardinal.

CableKC
06-20-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't think that Al Jeff is a franchise Level Player...nor do I think that Granger is one.

As to whether he is on Granger's level...yes I do...at least in the sense that I think that both are borderline All-Star level type Players that are better suited to be a "Robin" then a "Batman".

Besides...who said that we were going to make AlJeff the Franchise Level Player....both IMHO are considered "pieces" that fit into a bigger piece of the puzzle....they just happen to be different pieces that fit different areas in the same puzzle.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 04:53 PM
Just because his name doesn't come up doesn't mean he is not good, what are you talking about?

There is a reason his name doesn't come up though. He isn't on the level of those top players.

I don't think that Al Jeff is a franchise Level Player...nor do I think that Granger is one.

As to whether he is on Granger's level...yes I do...at least in the sense that I think that both are borderline All-Star level type Players that are better suited to be a "Robin" then a "Batman".

Both IMHO are considered "pieces" that fit into a bigger piece of the puzzle....they just happen to be different pieces that fit different areas in the same puzzle.

And thats exactly how I see him as well. I asked is he a level above Granger? Which I dont think he is, they are on the same level, but going into a playoff game I would much rather have Granger than Jefferson.

I wouldn't call a fade away jumper "a post game" he plays closer and have some moves but most of his points are jumpers and yes Troy is like a really bad version of Dirk but he is better than Cardinal.

Have you watched Dirk in the last 5 years? He has a rather complete offensive skill set. He has a legit post game. He can put the ball on the court and drive too. Your acting like Dirk is this one dimensional offensive player when he just isn't. Did you watch the playoffs?

Troy is Brian Cardinal. Is he really better than Cardinal? I think Cardinal had the better season. Both are big men that can only shoot the three. Dirk can do so much more than that, stop kidding yourself.

Scot Pollard
06-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I was impressed with the game he had against us when the Jazz beat us at home.

I'd like to bring him in.

When he was with the Timberwolves, he was having an All-Star year and then tore his ACL, but is now doing as well.

Scot Pollard
06-20-2011, 04:57 PM

edit: if we can get one of their picks and get Jimmer, I would call it a success.

Yeah and get Eric Gordon at SG.

Where is the phone Bird?? :signit:

PR07
06-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Troy is Brian Cardinal. Is he really better than Cardinal? I think Cardinal had the better season. Both are big men that can only shoot the three. Dirk can do so much more than that, stop kidding yourself.

I'd much rather have Cardinal defensively too. Not that he's ever going to shut anyone down, but he plays pretty fundamentally sound defense and has a knack for getting under opposing players' skins.

LA_Confidential
06-20-2011, 05:04 PM
@ilive4sports, I painfully disagree with you. Heading into a 7 game series I would much rather have a low post nightmare on my roster than a streaky shooter. You win rings down low.

Scot Pollard
06-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Let me ask you this is he an underrated version of Al Horford?

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 05:14 PM
@ilive4sports, I painfully disagree with you. Heading into a 7 game series I would much rather have a low post nightmare on my roster than a streaky shooter. You win rings down low.

You need both. And I don't think Danny is a streaky shooter.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Let me ask you this is he an underrated version of Al Horford?

Horford is much better defensively.

LA_Confidential
06-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Having Jefferson would give us more ammo to deal witn the likes of Horford, Howard, Amare, Lopez etc.

Frankly, Hibbert/Jefferson would be the best C/Pf combo in the East.

ECKrueger
06-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I would be fine with adding Al Jeff to Danny, but not for.

spreedom
06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Having Jefferson would give us more ammo to deal witn the likes of Horford, Howard, Amare, Lopez etc.

Frankly, Hibbert/Jefferson would be the best C/Pf combo in the East.

Better than...:

Josh Smith/Horford?
Boozer/Noah?
Bass/Howard?

ECKrueger
06-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Better than...:

Josh Smith/Horford?
Boozer/Noah?
Bass/Howard?

No.
Yes.
No.

pizza guy
06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I have like AlJeff for quite some time, and I was at the Pacers v Jazz game in February. Utah's front-court absolutely manhandled the Pacers', and Jefferson was a huge part of that. I would think, based on that game alone, people would be happy to have him.

I'd do this trade because it improves the front-court, we move up in the draft, and we allow Paul George to step up and be the guy. I don't know how ready PG24 is going to be, but the consensus of this board is that he's the guy, and I think now is a great time for it.

I would love a lineup like this:

DC//AJ
Rush//Inferno
George//rookie
AlJeff//Hansbrough
Hibbert//Foster

Sign me up for that, and let's cross our fingers that Paul George is who we think he is.

pacer4ever
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
I have like AlJeff for quite some time, and I was at the Pacers v Jazz game in February. Utah's front-court absolutely manhandled the Pacers', and Jefferson was a huge part of that. I would think, based on that game alone, people would be happy to have him.

I'd do this trade because it improves the front-court, we move up in the draft, and we allow Paul George to step up and be the guy. I don't know how ready PG24 is going to be, but the consensus of this board is that he's the guy, and I think now is a great time for it.

DC//AJ
Rush//Inferno
George//rookie
AlJeff//Hansbrough
Hibbert//Foster

Sign me up for that, and let's cross our fingers that Paul George is who we think he is.

That is a 25 win team lineup IMO I would be ok with that because next years draft is gonna be very good and will have a few franchise players IMO..

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 10:28 PM

DC//AJ
Rush//Inferno
George//rookie
AlJeff//Hansbrough
Hibbert//Foster

Rush as our starting SG? woo... hoo... I'm much more comfortable starting Hans at PF than Rush at SG.

cdash
06-20-2011, 10:47 PM
That is a 25 win team lineup IMO I would be ok with that because next years draft is gonna be very good and will have a few franchise players IMO..

A year after the playoffs you are okay with a 25 win team? :eek:

Constellations
06-20-2011, 11:59 PM
:puke:

Frostwolf
06-21-2011, 12:21 AM

DC//AJ
Rush//Inferno
George//rookie
AlJeff//Hansbrough
Hibbert//Foster

paul george is still nowhere near ready to take over granger's role. people have too high and too early expectations of him - i would expect a decrease in efficiency (not the same as a decrease in numbers, but i don't expect a huge increase either) if PG were to become our first option, corresponding with a general decline in the quality of our team.

if we get al, we must keep danny. otherwise it's a lateral move at best.

ECKrueger
06-21-2011, 12:53 AM
paul george is still nowhere near ready to take over granger's role. people have too high and too early expectations of him - i would expect a decrease in efficiency (not the same as a decrease in numbers, but i don't expect a huge increase either) if PG were to become our first option, corresponding with a general decline in the quality of our team.

if we get al, we must keep danny. otherwise it's a lateral move at best.

Yes, I think he is another 'Robin' so to speak. If we can get both, great! If not, we are in the same boat. Only difference is Al is a big-man Robin and Danny is wing Robin.

Pacersalltheway10
06-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Actually I might do a Granger , Jones for Al an the #3. Then trade Jefferson to Atlanta for Josh Smith.

Granger for #3 and Josh Smith sounds pretty good. If you want more, trade Smith to Twolves for Number 2.

Granger for Derrick Williams and Kanter looks good too.

ECKrueger
06-21-2011, 01:51 AM
Actually I might do a Granger , Jones for Al an the #3. Then trade Jefferson to Atlanta for Josh Smith.

Granger for #3 and Josh Smith sounds pretty good. If you want more, trade Smith to Twolves for Number 2.

Very interesting. Unlikey, by interesting.

CableKC
06-21-2011, 02:10 AM

Just to be clear.....are you telling me that IF the Jazz were actually willing to offer Al Jeff + the #3 pick for Granger and the filler that Inferno is.....that you MIGHT actually turn it down?

Remember....MIGHT implies that you not only would say "yes" but that there is a chance that you'd actually say "no" to this deal.

kielbeze
06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Tried t post this in a new thread maybe somone else can
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/741248-nba-draft-trade-rumors-why-the-indiana-pacers-should-deal-danny-granger
I thought it was an interesting read.

vnzla81
06-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Tried t post this in a new thread maybe somone else can
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/741248-nba-draft-trade-rumors-why-the-indiana-pacers-should-deal-danny-granger
I thought it was an interesting read.

Thanks for not making a new thread that side is garbage.

kielbeze
06-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Thanks for not making a new thread that side is garbage.

I just wanted to know what PD thought about it