PDA

View Full Version : Gortat for #2 pick?

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 02:13 PM
@MGortat Marcin Gortat
About that trade for mr. Williams??? Its front office people decision but i will always be part of suns army. Its bizness its ok.

Chad Ford

“Phoenix is in hot pursuit of Williams and may have interest in a deal that would send Minnesota center Marcin Gortat and the No. 13 pick for the No. 2 pick and Nikola Pekovic.”

Wow. It kind of reminds me of AD for #5

vnzla81
06-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Damn, Phoenix is trying to steal something here.

Pacer Fan
06-19-2011, 02:23 PM
I know wolves do some really suspect moves, but this would take the cake! I can't believe wolves would do this!

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 02:25 PM
I know wolves do some really suspect moves, but this would take the cake! I can't believe wolves would do this!

I wouldn't be surprised if this trade happens, the Wolves are run by Kahn.

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 02:33 PM
@mfeter: “If it’s about the gossips, then they’ve just told in News in TVP 1 (Polish nationwide channel) that it’s possible that you’ll play with Rubio...Because you are considering changing clubs"

@Gortat: “Yeah I’ve already heard that I’m supposed to move somewhere“

DemonHunter1105
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
How the hell can we not trump this is the real question. Before we talked that trade to death about getting this pick and Rubio while having to include Danny and people balked. If this is anywhere close to true, couldn't we make a package of Tyler, #15, and filler(Rush)? Maybe include DC, although I am not wanting to do that.

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Jerry Zgoda: Re: #Timberwolves-Pau rumors. They're definitely interested, but not for KLove, probably not for No. 2 and certainly not for both

No truth to this if they aren't willing to do it for Pau Gasol no way they would do it for Gortat. Gortat is no where near that valuable.

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this trade happens, the Wolves are run by Kahn.

Kahn hasn't been bad in the trade market he has actually made a few decent trades. The draft is where he leaves you scratching your head and signing a few free agents.

ballism
06-19-2011, 02:42 PM
No truth to this if they aren't willing to do it for Pau Gasol no way they would do it for Gortat. Gortat is no where near that valuable.

They refused a Gasol trade?

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
They refused a Gasol trade?

it is rumored that they offered Gasol for #2 and they said no. But it is also rumored that they wanted K love along with #2 and the Wolves said NO. So i don't really know what was truly offered if anything. But that doesn't surprise me if they didn't want to trade #2 for Pau.

Shade
06-19-2011, 02:50 PM
:khan:

:50cent:

ensergio
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Gortat isn't a bad player.

Pacersalltheway10
06-19-2011, 02:54 PM
Gasol for #2 pick AND Love is a lot different than Gortat for #2

Shade
06-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Gortat isn't a bad player.

But he also isn't worthy of a #2 pick in any draft I can ever think of.

Shade
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Gasol for #2 pick AND Love is a lot different than Gortat for #2

If it's just #2 for Gasol, I think that would be a good deal for both teams.

PR07
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Gortat's a solid starting center in this league, but for a #2 pick? No way, even in this draft.

ensergio
06-19-2011, 03:02 PM

It's all relative. Gortat > S. Swift, Thabeet, Jay Williams and maybe E. Turner.

Shade
06-19-2011, 03:03 PM
It's all relative. Gortat > S. Swift, Thabeet, Jay Williams and maybe E. Turner.

None of those guys were worthy of #2 picks, either. Do you think any of them would have still been taken #2 in retrospect?

Btw, Jay Williams suffered a severe injury that ended his career, and the verdict is still out on Turner.

PR07
06-19-2011, 03:04 PM
To be fair, Jay Williams was still worthy of a #2 pick. He just made a very dumb decision off the basketball court.

Also, jury's still out on Evan Turner.

Shade
06-19-2011, 03:05 PM
To be fair, Jay Williams was still worthy of a #2 pick. He just made a very dumb decision off the basketball court.

Also, jury's still out on Evan Turner.

I was actually editing those points into my post as you posted. ;)

ensergio
06-19-2011, 03:06 PM
None of those guys were worthy of #2 picks, either. Do you think any of them would have still been taken #2 in retrospect?

How would you know that D. Williams, Kanter, Irving or B. Knight are worthy of #2 picks? In his moment these players (Swift, Jay Williams, Thabeet, etc...) were solid bets.

PR07
06-19-2011, 03:08 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'd have to bet that someone like Kanter will at least have the career of Gortat. When you factor in age and contract, why not just draft him?

ensergio
06-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I'd have to bet that someone like Kanter will at least have the career of Gortat. When you factor in age and contract, why not just draft him?

Nice discussion. Kanter COULD be a great player; but he could be, with his youthness and all, a disappointment (remember, he is the prospect with less video and competition).

There is no final argument here. Maybe Kahn want a solid player next to Love and Beasley, and can't afford a bust.

He isn't batting for homeruns.

Justin Tyme
06-19-2011, 03:22 PM
This is actually a good trade for Minnesota. They despartely need a center, and Gortat fills the bill. He played well with the Suns last year. Then to get the #13 pick gives them chances at players like Burks, Marieff Morris, Singleton, Montiejunas, Vucevic at the #13. Couple that with their #20 pick, and they have a nice draft and added a good Big in Gotat. Khan had best jump on this deal quickly.

The Suns get #2, Pekovic, and 2.5 cap relief. If the Suns do this trade, they really must like Derrick Williams!

Justin Tyme
06-19-2011, 03:24 PM

You are overlooking it's Gortat and the #13 pick, not just Gortat only.

imawhat
06-19-2011, 03:30 PM
We could certainly get #2 if all it takes is Gortat and a 13.

wintermute
06-19-2011, 03:48 PM
AD for #5 is a good comparison. Big guys are always valued, maybe overvalued. There simply aren't enough starting quality centers to go around.

I like the deal for Minny. They have enough young talent as it is, it's time they cash in on some of it. Looking at their roster, center is obviously a huge need. Which starting center can they realistically get with the #2? I'm actually a bit surprised they got Phoenix to bite.

As for Phoenix, I guess they want to give Robin Lopez another chance. Certainly Lopez doesn't have the trade value of Gortat. I suppose the Suns are doing this with an eye towards rebuilding, perhaps signaling a Nash trade to come.

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 03:50 PM
AD for #5 is a good comparison. Big guys are always valued, maybe overvalued. There simply aren't enough starting quality centers to go around.

I like the deal for Minny. They have enough young talent as it is, it's time they cash in on some of it. Looking at their roster, center is obviously a huge need. Which starting center can they realistically get with the #2? I'm actually a bit surprised they got Phoenix to bite.

As for Phoenix, I guess they want to give Robin Lopez another chance. Certainly Lopez doesn't have the trade value of Gortat. I suppose the Suns are doing this with an eye towards rebuilding, perhaps signaling a Nash trade to come.

Darko is suppose to be Kahn's manna from heaven!

on a serious note Darko didn't play half bad last year

wintermute
06-19-2011, 03:53 PM
We could certainly get #2 if all it takes is Gortat and a 13.

Really? I doubt we have the assets to get Phoenix to part with Gortat in the first place.

We could maybe offer Hibbert + #15 to Minny for #2, but from Minny's point of view Gortat > Hibbert and #13 > #15, so we'll still need to add value to even match the Suns' package.

ballism
06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
So Suns turn Hedo Turkoglu, Goran Dragic, Earl Clark and no.13...
into no.2, Aaron Brooks and Nikola Pekovic.
In only 6 month period.
That's not counting expirings for this season and next season.

This is a complete ownage from Lon Babby if this deal happens.
Too bad Suns management is peaking long after Steve Nash's peak.

Nikola Pekovic could be very solid in Suns system. He was the best center in Europe before he joined the Wolves last year, he's still young, cheap, and Wolves were just a terrible place for him.
If I had to guess, I'd guess Pekovic would be the starter eventually, not Lopez.

ballism
06-19-2011, 04:44 PM
And to go a bit deeper, Lon Babby was the agent who talked Suns into overpaying Josh Childress and getting Turkoglu.
So he completely abuses the Suns as an agent, then he somehow gets Suns GM job right after that.
And now a year later he's cleaned a lot of the Suns mess and may take another huge step with this trade.

Man, maybe Pacers should get an agent for GM job as well.

Anthem
06-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Would you take Gordat and the #13 for Danny Granger?

Shade
06-19-2011, 06:47 PM

Nope.

Sparhawk
06-19-2011, 06:49 PM

What about Gortat and next year's 1st (unprotected) for Danny.

Gamble1
06-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Didn't you just post that you don't understand why so many posters are trying to give Granger away in a trade..:confused:

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 06:52 PM

Don't you think they would be much improved next year with DG and the pick might be even higher(but i will grant you should be a lot better talent). I really might :puke: if that deal happen Gortat would just be a expensive back up.

Sparhawk
06-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Don't you think they would be much improved next year with DG and the pick might be even higher(but i will grant you should be a lot better talent). I really might :puke: if that deal happen Gortat would just be a expensive back up.

I was just having fun with it. C is just not a need a major need right now.

I'm super bored and just want the trades to start and then the draft. So ready for things to start happening.

Anthem
06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
Didn't you just post that you don't understand why so many posters are trying to give Granger away in a trade..:confused:
Oh, I certainly wouldn't do the trade. Kinda my point.

I was just surprised at the wide variety of perceived value on that #2 pick. We had people in here saying that Danny for the #2 was a steal on our part (which I thought was crazy) but now the rumor is Gortat and the #13? Those two packages aren't even in the same stratosphere.

The easiest way to tell if they're equal is to see if you'd trade one for the other. It doesn't even pass the laugh test.

CableKC
06-20-2011, 01:26 AM
Actually, Gortat is a pretty solid Center....definitely a slightly above average Starting Quality Center if you ask me.

Add in that if Jimmer falls past the Jazz, the TWolves have the option of adding yet another PG at #13 to their fleet of PGs :rimshot:.

CableKC
06-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Nice discussion. Kanter COULD be a great player; but he could be, with his youthness and all, a disappointment (remember, he is the prospect with less video and competition).

There is no final argument here. Maybe Kahn want a solid player next to Love and Beasley, and can't afford a bust.

He isn't batting for homeruns.
THIS is the reason why I would understand why Kahn would do this.....not to say that Derrick Williams won't turn out to be a Star nor a solid Player for the future....but no matter what one thinks of Derrick Williams....he's still a going to be a Rookie that needs to assimilate to the NBA.

With Gortat....you know what he's capable of doing when he's finally given minutes ( Post ASB, he averaged 15/10 with the Suns playing 33mpg ). Maybe Kahn's done with rebuilding and waiting for Players to develop and he wants a "sure thing" to add to Kevin Love.

Cactus Jax
06-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Only thing I'd add is that Hibbert has got to be considered a better asset than Gortat, rookie contract compared to larger contract and a bit more productive starter.

It would kind of depend on the Cavs (apparantly not too much but maybe) but....

Would you trade Hibbert + DC for #2 if the Cavs were taking Williams, or Hibbert + PG if they're taking Irving (which would be the assumption). I'd definently say yes to a, and probably pass on b though Derrick Williams is pretty intriguing but replacing a center would be a bit much, the Wolves would have to add in the 20th pick or something.

I think all these rumors are just that, the Pacers will select a guy they like at 15 and a guy at 42, call it a night and wait for the CBA, maybe get Vogel and his coaches set up.

granger33
06-20-2011, 04:42 AM
dam some people are over rating Gortat.

Justin Tyme
06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Gortat isn't even comparible to Granger, so the trade can't even be compared. Minnie is in a huge need for a center and gets back a #13 pick too. They also get Gortat for less than 3 mil more than they are paying a non-productive Pekoviic.

The Suns are betting on Derrick Williams become a great player, and they are willing to give up Gortat and #13 for the chance to find out.

Not to mention an unprotected 1st could be worse than the current #13 the Suns offer. I'm not a big proponent to trading Granger, but when a good offer that I feel is equal value that can help the Pacers more in the future than Granger you trade Granger. I feel the Milsap, Harris, and #3 is one of those type trades. Granger for Jefferson isn't, and I'm one who has always wanted Jefferson as a Pacer.

Justin Tyme
06-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Only thing I'd add is that Hibbert has got to be considered a better asset than Gortat, rookie contract compared to larger contract and a bit more productive starter.

The Pacers can only hope when Hibbert's rookie contract is up that they can sign him to Gortat's type money!!

Justin Tyme
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
dam some people are over rating Gortat.

Or some are under rating him and Minnie's need at Center.

PR07
06-20-2011, 10:03 AM
I can understand the T-Wolves wanting a solid veteran, starting caliber player, but this the #2 pick. Even in this weak draft, I would think they could get a better deal for that type of player.

The Sleeze
06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
I can understand the T-Wolves wanting a solid veteran, starting caliber player, but this the #2 pick. Even in this weak draft, I would think they could get a better deal for that type of player.

I think they will get better deals on draft night. I think teams are hesitant because they still aren't 100% sure who Cleveland is taking with the first pick. Once Cleveland picks I have a feeling Minny's phone will be ringing off the hook.

MillerTime
06-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow thats a steal. I would trade Hibbert for the #2

imawhat
06-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Or some are under rating him and Minnie's need at Center.

Or they're underrating Kahn's love for Darko, who he called the only legit starter on the team before the start of last season.

Kahn made it clear that they want a veteran, so I expect the #2 will be traded away. I'd be surprised if they didn't go for a wing.

CableKC
06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Depends...if we needed a Starting Center and who was available at #13 ;).

CableKC
06-20-2011, 11:10 AM
Or they're underrating Kahn's love for Darko, who he called the only legit starter on the team before the start of last season.

Kahn made it clear that they want a veteran, so I expect the #2 will be traded away. I'd be surprised if they didn't go for a wing.
A Wing is easier to draft/trade for then a decent Starting Center.

MyFavMartin
06-20-2011, 01:11 PM
They could go for Brooks or Burks at 13.

Rubio/Ridnour/Flynn
Brooks or Burks/Ellington
Beasley/Wes Johson/Martell Webster
Love/Anthony Randolph
Gortat/Darko

That'd be a pretty good young group to move forward with as opposed to:

Rubio/Ridnour/Flynn
Ellington
Derrick Williams/Beasley/Wes Johson/Martell Webster
Love/Anthony Randolph
Darko/Pekovic

Backlog at SF with DWilliams and Beasely as well as Johnson and Webster. (Johnson supposedly is more SF than SG). And the C spot is extremely weak.

Guess Kahn doesn't want to roll the dice on Jonas or Kanter at C and address two needs in the same trade, C and SG.

MyFavMartin
06-20-2011, 01:14 PM
By what I've seen of his game, I don't see Derrick Williams as a PF and instead a lot like Danny - A very good SF. As Derrick Williams would be redundant to Danny and Minny would be wanting to address the C spot (and I'm not giving up Roy), I don't see Minny as a good trade partner.

Kid Minneapolis
06-20-2011, 01:15 PM

Don't forget Darko.