PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Foster negotiating to sign with Lakers?!

docpaul
06-18-2011, 03:27 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/GangPham/status/82151444094001152

The Los Angeles Lakers in talks of signing free agent Center Jeff Foster from the Indiana Pacers. He made $6.6 Million in 2010-2011.

This would crush my spirit a bit, if true. Especially given the fact that all the Lakers could offer is the MLE. Any shot at a sign and trade?

Young
06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
They can't even talk with free agents until after the draft and that's if a CBA is in place.

TMJ31
06-18-2011, 03:30 PM
Oh Jeff, say it ain't so... My poor little soul couldn't take it!

OakMoses
06-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Good for Jeff. I love him, but I don't particularly want him on the Pacers next year, and I'd love to see him play for a team that has a real chance to do something.

PR07
06-18-2011, 03:32 PM
This would really stink. Not only would Foster be leaving, but he'd be playing for the one team in the NBA I absolutely can't stand. I'd rather see him in a Spurs' uniform.

pacer4ever
06-18-2011, 03:32 PM
this is tampering if they have talked with him!!!!

Which i doubt they have this is the Lakers wanting him not Jeff wanting to go to the Lakers. I would assume though he would be interested in the Lakers.

ECKrueger
06-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Please, dear god, no. I may be forced to hate Jeff if he went to LA.

BornReady
06-18-2011, 03:37 PM
as long as he doesn't sign with the heat...

TMJ31
06-18-2011, 03:47 PM
as long as he doesn't sign with the Lakers or the Heat...

fixed.

Smoothdave1
06-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Let's take a minute and look at the source: a 20 year old on twitter with 200 followers. Really?

Ozwalt72
06-18-2011, 03:55 PM
20yr old lakers fan

yeaaaaaah

Justin Tyme
06-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Good for Jeff. I love him, but I don't particularly want him on the Pacers next year, and I'd love to see him play for a team that has a real chance to do something.

Absolutely. If he can get the MLE from some team, he had best get it. He was overpaid the last 2 years as a Pacer. At 34YO he isn't worth much more than the vets min.

OakMoses
06-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Absolutely. If he can get the MLE from some team, he had best get it. He was overpaid the last 2 years as a Pacer. At 34YO he isn't worth much more than the vets min.

He's not getting the MLE from anyone. He's a guy who can give you 15-20 really good minutes for about 60 regular season games and who will really show up during playoff time. That's worth $2-3 million to me if I'm a contending team. Lets not forget that he was the best big man for us during the playoffs by a very wide margin.

CooperManning
06-18-2011, 04:02 PM
Would love to see Jeff back on the Pacers next year, but I wouldn't blame him at all for going to the Lakers or Celtics. Heat would be unfortunate.

vapacersfan
06-18-2011, 04:06 PM
this is tampering if they have talked with him!!!!

Which i doubt they have this is the Lakers wanting him not Jeff wanting to go to the Lakers. I would assume though he would be interested in the Lakers.

Happens all the time.

Agents runs into a old buddy who also happen to be a GM at a bar/restuant/concert/etc. Might just throw something out like "Man, I have got a client who can not wait to talk to you about a new job" and the GM would say "You know we cant talk till after X date" Bam, seed planted and agent got what he wanted.

As for the topic at hand, hate to see it happen but I love what Jeff has done for this franchise and I would not begrude him at all for waning to move on

speakout4
06-18-2011, 04:07 PM
As much as i really like and appreciate Jeff we need to make the break with all FAs.

Kegboy
06-18-2011, 04:26 PM
As much as i really like and appreciate Jeff we need to make the break with all FAs.

This.

vapacersfan
06-18-2011, 04:30 PM
:-o

A KEGBOY SIGHTING!!!!

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/7/129046854936150110.jpg

owl
06-18-2011, 04:37 PM
All free agents except Jeff in my book. Signed for the right price.

ballism
06-18-2011, 04:42 PM
They can't even talk with free agents until after the draft and that's if a CBA is in place.

That tweet could also be understood as internal talks within Lakers.

Will Galen
06-18-2011, 05:03 PM
That tweet could also be understood as internal talks within Lakers.

This is more likely than the Lakers negotiating with Foster. As has been said Jeff is ours until July 1, and then if there's no new bargaining agreement by then, then they can't negotiate with him then either.

Trophy
06-18-2011, 05:30 PM
A lot of things are shocking me here. :-o

ballism
06-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Let's take a minute and look at the source: a 20 year old on twitter with 200 followers. Really?

Heh...
Man, if we already have a topic on random tweet from random Lakers fan, what will we do after July 1.

Basketball Fan
06-18-2011, 05:54 PM
20yr old lakers fan

yeaaaaaah

True but how many 20 year olds would care about Jeff Foster of all people no offense but this isn't a name like Shaq we're talking about here.

Seems too random to be made up and this is the first I've heard about it.

BlueNGold
06-18-2011, 05:57 PM
While I like Jeff Foster the person and what he brings in terms of post defense, I'm not a big fan of his game overall. I think his rebounding is not quite what it used to be which was a huge part of his game. Still good, but not great. Anyway, you have to respect what he has done for the Pacers and he remains a solid big...probably the toughest big we have on the team. There were many times last year where Hibbert was not getting it done and Foster came in and shored things up. Is it disappointing that the Pacers don't have a better option at C? You bet. But that's the state of things and probably will remain that way this year. I think we still need Jeff Foster because a better option at backup C does not exist.

ballism
06-18-2011, 06:00 PM
True but how many 20 year olds would care about Jeff Foster of all people no offense but this isn't a name like Shaq we're talking about here.

Seems too random to be made up and this is the first I've heard about it.

There was a guy this season who bothered to pretend to be Troy Murphy just to mess up with TJ Ford on Twitter.
Don't put anything past a college kid :p

Shade
06-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I've never been a big Jeff Foster fan, but that would still suck.

Sparhawk
06-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Highly doubtful. I'm sure that Jeff feels a sense of loyalty to the organization, and he'd probably opt for a sign-and-trade rather than just straight up signing with another team.

cdash
06-18-2011, 07:12 PM
This rumor is hogwash, but still, it's likely I am going to have to start resigning myself to not seeing Jeff Foster in a Pacers uniform again. Sad, he's one of my favorite Pacers ever. His toughness will be missed. Ask the Bulls.

Tom White
06-18-2011, 07:13 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/GangPham/status/82151444094001152

This would crush my spirit a bit, if true. Especially given the fact that all the Lakers could offer is the MLE. Any shot at a sign and trade?

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think maybe sources should be looked at a bit closer before posting. I mean, look at the guys pic. It doesn't really shout out "insider with info" now does it?

HC
06-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't mean to be harsh, but I think maybe sources should be looked at a bit closer before posting. I mean, look at the guys pic. It doesn't really shout out "insider with info" now does it?

indeed

LA_Confidential
06-18-2011, 08:03 PM
I hope he does go elsewhere. He has been loyal enough, he deserves a real opportunity. Besides I wanna see him gone because we wouldnt miss much anyway. He is not a player that produces wins so what do we have to lose? Veteran leadership you say? Posey is old as dirt too so there you go.

Larry Staverman
06-18-2011, 09:00 PM
He is not a player that produces wins so what do we have to lose?

As far as I'm concerned he earned his entire salary with those 2 shots he put on Rose in the playoffs

Justin Tyme
06-18-2011, 09:08 PM
As far as I'm concerned he earned his entire salary with those 2 shots he put on Rose in the playoffs

That's easy for you say since you aren't the one paying all those MILLIONS!

speakout4
06-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I hope he does go elsewhere. He has been loyal enough, he deserves a real opportunity. Besides I wanna see him gone because we wouldnt miss much anyway. He is not a player that produces wins so what do we have to lose? Veteran leadership you say? Posey is old as dirt too so there you go.
Foster is supporting cast and will help others produce wins. You can't compare Jeff to Posey. Both are veterans but Jeff is a pacer and Posey is just a short term rental.

Pacer Fan
06-18-2011, 11:03 PM

Still didn't produce wins, Think Rose got the last laugh!!

Pacer Fan
06-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Lies! Can't negotiate yet!

joeyd
06-18-2011, 11:21 PM
The rumor seems to be unfounded. Jeff has said he wants to come back to the Pacers. Here's evidence: he has been attending at least some of the workouts over the past few weeks. Not even the players currently on the roster are being forced to attend these, to my knowledge, let alone someone about to become a free agent.

I think Jeff's opinion is being valued, and I also think he is trying to get a look at the potential draft picks, seeing as he has a vested interest in the Pacers getting a good pick if he stays here.

pacer4ever
06-18-2011, 11:33 PM
The rumor seems to be unfounded. Jeff has said he wants to come back to the Pacers. Here's evidence: he has been attending at least some of the workouts over the past few weeks. Not even the players currently on the roster are being forced to attend these, to my knowledge, let alone someone about to become a free agent.

I think Jeff's opinion is being valued, and I also think he is trying to get a look at the potential draft picks, seeing as he has a vested interest in the Pacers getting a good pick if he stays here.

I think Jeff will stay and then move and work in the FO or the broadcasting team after he retires.

cdash
06-18-2011, 11:38 PM
I think Jeff will stay and then move and work in the FO or the broadcasting team after he retires.

God willing.

Midcoasted
06-19-2011, 05:31 AM
The thing about Foster is, to me it seems like he just came off his best year offensively? I haven't looked at the stats, but Foster really seemed to not be a detriment on O for the first time in his career? Can the old man have a few more tricks up his sleave?

It doesn't surprise me other teams want him after what he did in the playoffs. I just like the idea of having Jeff on our side come next years playoffs. I think we should get a few young bigs and let them get the workload, then come playoffs, have a healthy Jeff to do the dirty work in the clutch. Did we ever even try a Foster Hibbert lineup? Not enough but I guess because we don't have another legit center.

No way LA!

Ransom
06-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Doubt it's true, but at least that would solve the problem of who to root for in a Lakers/Heat series.

Hicks
06-19-2011, 11:17 AM
That's easy for you say since you aren't the one paying all those MILLIONS!

You aren't paying them either. :shrug:

Justin Tyme
06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
You aren't paying them either. :shrug:

You are absolutely correct, but then I never would have. I value my money more than some.

LOL! Apparently not so much that I didn't lose a tiddy sum the other day, b/c I didn't secure it properly. GRRRR! I'm still upset with myself for being so darn careless. I just hope who ever found it, really needed it, and not on wine, women and song.

McKeyFan
06-19-2011, 01:14 PM
It doesn't surprise me other teams want him after what he did in the playoffs.
This.

If I were a GM, I'd want Foster.

Also, remember Mike Brown has coached Foster and knows first-hand his underrated value. And Artest is there to back up Brown's opinion.

dohman
06-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Jeff has earned the right to play for whoever he chooses. He has given a long portion of his life to this franchise and if wants to live on a beach all year long and give blue steel poses he can.

Best of luck to ya Jeff. If your not in indy next year I will be a fan of your hustle and heart anywhere you go.

Will Galen
06-19-2011, 04:16 PM

I had the same opinion until you posted, but then you got me thinking about it and I then had the thought 'what does a picture have to do with it?

What the guy actually said was this, "The Los Angeles Lakers in talks of signing free agent Center Jeff Foster from the Indiana Pacers. He made $6.6 Million in 2010-2011."

Docpaul then posted, "Foster negotiating to sign with Lakers?" Which isn't exactly the same.

We know Foster wants to retire a Pacer, and negotiating before July 1 when he becomes a free agent is against the rules. So as has been discussed, the post probably means the Lakers are having discussions among themselves about trying to sign Foster.

That wouldn't be against the rules, and it's something a Laker fan with sources might hear. . . so this could be a legit piece of news.

However, since it will probably be a long time until the NBA has a new contract, what difference does it make? About as much difference as the Pacers front office discussing possible pickups.

Smoothdave1
06-19-2011, 07:29 PM
I don't doubt that other teams are interested in Foster as he could be that veteran that could help them in their push through the playoffs. However, let's look at a few facts:

-- Jeff lives in Indy year-round and has for several years. While this doesn't mean, he wouldn't leave the Pacers, it means that he likes living in Indy and my understanding was that he planned to continue to live here once his playing days ended (ala Croshere, Vern Fleming, Smits, etc.)

-- The Pacers have been very loyal to Jeff and many would argue overpaid him in his last extension. I could see a scenario playing out where he resigned with the Pacers for cheap as a "Thank you" to the franchise while not having to uproot his family

-- The source of this rumor was a 20 year old guy on twitter. As I mentioned before, he doesn't strike me as someone who might have "inside sources". He doesn't mention where he heard it or who said it, which could be that he simply made it up. I could easily go on twitter, facebook, etc. and say that the Pacers are going to sign "such and such" and it would be the same thing

-- Jeff is still under contract with the Pacers until the end of the month. Moreover, teams cannot sign any players until there's a new CBA in place

My guess is that this guy either A. Made it up or B. Was listening to sports talk or his friends and someone said the Lakers could use a guy like Jeff Foster and he ran with it

BlueNGold
06-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Foster has a lot to lose if he leaves Indy. Other than Reggie, he is right there with the longest tenured NBA Pacers. I hope he takes a position with the Pacers like Croshere...

Anthem
06-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Didn't think of the Mike Brown angle. Nice.

docpaul
06-20-2011, 12:32 AM
I had the same opinion until you posted, but then you got me thinking about it and I then had the thought 'what does a picture have to do with it?

What the guy actually said was this, "The Los Angeles Lakers in talks of signing free agent Center Jeff Foster from the Indiana Pacers. He made $6.6 Million in 2010-2011."

Docpaul then posted, "Foster negotiating to sign with Lakers?" Which isn't exactly the same.

We know Foster wants to retire a Pacer, and negotiating before July 1 when he becomes a free agent is against the rules. So as has been discussed, the post probably means the Lakers are having discussions among themselves about trying to sign Foster.

That wouldn't be against the rules, and it's something a Laker fan with sources might hear. . . so this could be a legit piece of news.

However, since it will probably be a long time until the NBA has a new contract, what difference does it make? About as much difference as the Pacers front office discussing possible pickups.

Yep, agreed that I slightly mis-interpreted it, but stand by the fact that this is potential news and an interesting rumor.

It's not as if Foster is the talk of the NBA... and this is why a random post like this caught my attention vs. all of the other nonsense out there. I think this one is actually plausible.

Not to mention, it got us all sizing up a 2011 team without him. :)

Heisenberg
06-20-2011, 12:33 AM
What'd we talk about in the offseason before Twitter?

duke dynamite
06-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I can't help but think this could be a boredom killer for Jeff. I mean he's really planted himself into the community here, and what the rumor says it's just "talks". I'm sure this isn't the only team that has talked to him this summer, he is a free agent afterall.

I don't think he's going anywhere.

vnzla81
06-20-2011, 08:40 AM
Who cares? Let the guy have a chance to win a championship, man some people are really dramatic :rolleyes:

owl
06-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Either way is fine with me. Jeff has earned it.

Jim R
06-20-2011, 10:02 AM

While I'm quite sure there are talks that go on behind the scenes, Jeff Foster isn't a free agent yet, and negotiations can't begin until July 1 in a normal year. This will not be a normal year, and I doubt the Lakers are going to risk tampering charges on Jeff Foster.

As for what Speakout said, the key to free agency is value, and this year's FA crop is just OK. There isn't much out there which wouldn't put the Pacers back toward salary cap hell that would justify the Pacers just letting their FA's go. I'd be surprised if the Pacers didn't bring McRoberts back.

Which of the 5's can the Pacers get which won't break the bank and can play both the 4 and 5? It has to be someone who can play with Hansbrough and Hibbert on both ends of the floor. That could certainly be Foster, but it would also be McRoberts.

If the Pacers would want to remake their front line, that would be another story, but I don't get the impression they are interested or feel they are able to do it with what is available. Otherwise, they need versatility for thei bench players.

If I were the Pacers, I'd target Carl Landry who could play both forward spots and could be a great offensive asset on their second unit.

joeyd
06-24-2011, 01:09 PM
There is a video (link was through a Pacers e-mail I received, so it's probably on the website now) taking fans into the Pacers war room prior to the draft. The interview was with the Pacers director of scouting. He mentioned that Jeff Foster was expected to be among the folks in the war room. This should further dispel the notion that he is looking to go elsewhere, and should also attest to Foster's enthusiasm to remain a Pacer and the front office's enthusiasm to work to retain him, or at the very least, to retain him as a front office guy.

CableKC
06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
If I were the Pacers, I'd target Carl Landry who could play both forward spots and could be a great offensive asset on their second unit.
The 2nd to last thing we need is a Player that can play both Forward spots ( we have Granger and PG that will take up all the SF minutes )....we need a Rebounding/Shotblocking Player that can start at the PF spot ( next to Hibbert ) and play some backup minutes at the Center spot ( next to Hansbrough ).

Unfortunately, Carl Landry is not that guy.

Ownagedood
06-24-2011, 02:02 PM
I can't remember who talked to him, but someone on here made a comment a while back that they saw Jeff on a bike while he was waiting to get back in the game..

Our member said somethin like "Hey Jeff, hope to see you back next year, we need ya!" and jeff turned and acknoweldge and said somethin like "You bet!"

Anyways, i believe he would try and sign with Indy first. He doesn't seem like a guy that would be desperately chasing a championship. But if Indy didn't give him a fair offer he would probably look around elsewhere.