PDA

View Full Version : Drafting for a Championship (looking at previous trends)

Really?
06-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I was commenting on another thread and though about something...

Of those teams that have won championships how many had a top 2 drafted player on their team.

All that Shaq Teams 4, Jason Kidd 1, Tim Duncan 4, Hakeem Olajuwon 2, Jordan 6.

Going down the line even further I could see this trend continuing Magic, Bird, etc.

Also looking at a lot of the playoff teams this year. Take a look at the teams that were in the conference championships Lebron, Kidd(granted Dirk was the leader), Rose, Durant...

Not saying that it is a must to have a top pick on your team to win a championship but looking at the numbers it seems like teams with a top 2 pick on their teams wins the majority of the time. (the others have consisted of teams with multiple top 10 picks, Boston, Pistons)

Call it a stretch if you would like but looking at this trend it would seem the Pacers have a long way to go seeing that we have only 1 top 10 pick in George (with the exclusion of Dunleavy- underperforming FA)...

Let me know what you all think

Kstat
06-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Jordan was not a #1 or #2 pick.

If you want to get technical, the pistons had a top-2 pick in Darko Milicic, and won the championship.

ballism
06-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Most do have a high picked player, but not all are built around him, which is more important. Mavs, Pistons, even 06 Heat (Shaq was key, but Wade was arguably the better player at the end).
If it was about top 2 picks, Wolves would be a champion by now.
I do think we can build a strong contender, but it would take a youngster like PG developing into a two-way All Star, very good usage of cap, and probably a bold move sooner rather than later where we consolidate some of the assets.

ballism
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Jordan was not a #1 or #2 pick.

If you want to get technical, the pistons had a top-2 pick in Darko Milicic, and won the championship.

Heh. To push it a little further, over a 10 or so year span that most 1-2 picks tend to stick in the league, there's ~20 of them. So really, most teams have a good chance to sign themselves a Kwame Brown or Joe Smith if it comes to down that.

Really?
06-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Forgot Jordan was #3, I guess the point being that most of these teams were built around 1 top draft pick or a group top 10 picks and we are super far away from that.

And yes there are 10 top 20 picks if we go over a 10 yr period and they are still in the league, but the aspect is that these players tend to be high potential players, most who have a big chance to be a bust.

And speaking of the Wade was good but without Shaq he would have never won that championship point blank..

mildlysane
06-18-2011, 01:03 PM
Forgot Jordan was #3, I guess the point being that most of these teams were built around 1 top draft pick or a group top 10 picks and we are super far away from that.

And yes there are 10 top 20 picks if we go over a 10 yr period and they are still in the league, but the aspect is that these players tend to be high potential players, most who have a big chance to be a bust.

And speaking of the Wade was good but without Shaq he would have never won that championship point blank..
That may be true, but Shaq definitely wouldn't have won without Wade. He took over that series and willed them to victory

ballism
06-18-2011, 01:08 PM
They didn't even draft Shaq though, they got him for their previous late lotto pick who turned out good and a free agent they signed a couple years before the trade (Butler and Odom). Talent for talent, two marginal All Stars for a past his prime superstar. They would have been contenders either way, only a year or two later.

But I think the main point is, you need talent to win. Which of course is true. To be fair, we are way too far from contention atm to feel good, but we've got far too many assets to blow it up. I guess we've just got to enjoy the ride for now and hope the cap gets used well, and maybe there's a deal somewhere along the way to push us over the top.