PDA

View Full Version : Tbird 2011 NBA draft analysis #8: Jimmer Fredette

RoboHicks
06-16-2011, 08:30 PM
Tbird 2011 NBA draft analysis #8: Jimmer Fredette
Written by thunderbird1245

Link (http://www.pacersdigest.com/wordpress/?p=506)

Tonight we head to Utah, to put the sharp shooting point guard from Brigham Young, Jimmer Fredette, under the scouting microscope. Already in this series we’ve taken an in depth look at 7 prospects: Nikola Vucevic, *Alec Burks, Chris Singleton,* Tristan Thompson, Klay Thompson, Marcus Morris, and Jordan Hamilton. Fredette makes the 8th in the series, and has long been thought of to be a target for Larry Bird at pick #15. With this examination, I am trying to go study him hard and try and clarify how good he will be at the pro level. You can read my breakdown, and then decide for yourselves.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——-

Measuring in at 6’2 1/2, and around 195lbs, Fredette measures in about average in terms of height and weight. He has a wingspan of 6’4 1/2, which isn’t freakish at all but is a respectable number for an NBA point guard.

His athleticism is a major question mark, just from a pure God given talent aspect. In terms of the natural gifts of sheer quickness, height, and leaping ability, he probably is just average at best for an NBA point guard. But he has several hidden talents athletically that help him…..he is very quick and tight with the dribble, his technique and footwork are above average, his anticipation and awareness are very good as well. He has quick hand/eye coordination, doesn’t waste alot of steps offensively, and plays the game very smartly when his team has the basketball. His effort and energy are above average, and he has a charisma and flair that is hard not to appreciate.

Fredette is coachable it appears, and has been taught the fundamentals well. He has had definite high quality training during the draft process, and that has given him the ability to impress in these workout type settings more than most originally thought he would. He oozes confidence, and has the sort of personality that makes people like him, both with his teammates and especially with his fan base, which is considerable. Fredette probably is one of the most popular players for young kids in whatever community may select him.

His quickness defensively in college is his biggest knock, and he clearly didn’t defend well at all at BYU. Mostly, he gave poor effort, not naturally bending his knees and getting in the most basics of a defensive stance. He definitely saved his legs for the offensive end at BYU, but won’t have that kind of luxury in the NBA.* Still, I think he possesses the prerequisite athleticism and speed to play the position, so in my judgement he will be a better (not great by any stretch) defender at the pro level playing fewer minutes with less responsibility.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ————————

Since I mentioned some of this above, let’s talk defense first with Jimmer Fredette.

Fredette was poor in college no question. He gave poor effort guarding the dribbler, stood straight up away from the ball, didn’t fight hard thru screens, didn’t contest jump shots well…..basically the entire litany of defensive coaching checkpoints Fredette would have to be rated “below average”.* He was a guy the BYU coaching staff had to hide defensively to keep him fresh, and a guy the opponent tried to attack if possible.

Fredette has poor balance on this end, which makes him slow. He reaches with the wrong hand often, and gets his weight out on his toes making him unable to move with a quick twitch. His total inability or willingness to bend his knees and get in a stance when in an off ball position makes him slow to drop his hips and close out on people. By standing straight up too much he struggles to get around screens, and he lacks the athletic talent to be able to offset that bad habit. When guarding the ball he is better than advertised, but as soon as his man gets rid of it out of his stance goes Jimmer, making him very vulnerable to face cuts, follow/screen situations, or for quick flare screens directed at him.

The question you have to ask yourself as a front office guy, scout, or coach is: can this be fixed, and are we the people who can do it? Because if Fredette can’t play better defense than he has in college, then he can’t play. So by taking him, you have to be confident that you have the motivational skills, teaching ability, right system, and right personnel and style of play that will help him hide his defensive flaws.

I think Fredette can be coached up to an average NBA level defender, in my judgment. Being in better condition, playing fewer minutes, and becoming more focused on that end is what he needs to be able to do to get better. The ideal team will somewhere on the floor at one of the other 4 positions have some way above average defender to pair with him, to help balance out his flaws and making all the parts fit together in an optimum way. If you can use him correctly, I think Fredette’s defense could be decent enough to make him a legitimate NBA starting point guard in time, but right now he isn’t there yet.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ————————-

While his defense will likely get better as an NBA player, it is also likely that his offensive game will get a little worse as he plays much higher competition.

He was a dynamic offensive weapon at BYU, scoring in a variety of ways. He has every combination of dribble moves you’d want….he can cross you over, he can step back dribble, he can use the in/out bounce, he can go between his legs, he can go behind the back, and he can do any of these moves in any combination. The question a fine offensive player in the league has to answer is: “Can he get anywhere he wants to go with the dribble?”. In Fredette’s case, he can. The question is, can he score or dish once he gets there?

I think he will struggle scoring against help once he gets into the paint. Though he has the skills to shoot the floater and the teardrop shot, he isn’t going to be able to pull up and shoot over long armed athletic guys in the NBA at a high enough level to merit doing so. Instead he is going to need to be able to draw those people to him and then make the proper pass. At BYU, Jimmer often made the extraordinary pass…..but then he’d turn it over the next time trying to make another highlight play instead of just making the simple play. His judgment wasn’t always the greatest as a passer, but then again he didn’t have alot of talent playing with him either.

His calling card will be his range, ability to space the floor, and the ability to create a shot for himself and others up against the shot clock. But how good are those skills really?

Maybe Jimmer can shake and bake his way to shirk his man and get off a 28 foot jump shot whenever he wants….but I am not sure that is all that important a skill. In fact I think it is just as likely that when he fires one of those up that you’ll be shaking your head instead of clapping for him as a fan of the team he ends up on. So I see his ability to free himself off the dribble for a wild jump shot alot like I view being able to juggle, or say the alphabet backwards………a neat skill to be sure but one that doesn’t necessarily help me win.

But he will be deadly in a catch and shoot situation for sure as a spot up guy. And no one in the league will double off him to help dig the post, or to defend a driver. A creative coach can run offensive sets for his team to use Fredette in a way that really puts the defense in a tough spot. Any ball screen for him has to be carefully defended, and you can arrange the chess pieces on the floor to get him catch and shoot opportunities. He can be a great post feeder, as any 2 man game with him on the same side as your post guy is going to require alot of defensive planning.

Speaking of the ball screen, he does have very nice quick feet technically speaking coming around the corner. He gets low with his dribble, and is able to turn the corner and rise quickly into his shot. He does at times shoot the ball slightly after the apex of his jump, but that seems to be especially when he is tightly guarded and/or tired.* Like I have talked about before, he does a nice job of making that last dribble a hard bounce,letting him rise and flow with good rhythm. And because he gets low with the dribble and has a tight handle, he can split the trap on ballscreens as well, something some point guards hize cannot do well. And his crossover is good enough that he is always a threat to “turn down” the ballscreen, and instead refuse it and take it himself for a bounce or 2. At the NBA level, I think the way to guard him best in ballscreen situations will be to force him away from it and try and make him a driver, hoping his lack of elite athleticism gives him trouble trying to finish in traffic.

Many many people think he would be best served playing in a really up tempo system, but I totally disagree with that. I think* a team that plays half court oriented defense would help protect him best, and then a team would need to be creative offensively to take advantage of his outstanding shooting skills.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ————————

So what do we have in Jimmer Fredette?

I think Fredette is a below average defender currently, who is likely to improve in that area but never be better than average in that regard. Offensively I think his range is a major weapon, but not so much his ability to create his own shot off the dribble….in my view he will be much better in a slower set play type of situation that maximizes his ability to space the floor. Hopefully a team might have an extra ballhandler, which will let you play him off the ball some. And if a team has a wing capable of being able to “cross matchup” with him……. (in other words, a wing who can guard a point guard so he can guard a weak wing if the matchup lets you do that)……. that is even better.

I think eventually in the right situation and personnel groupings that Fredette can be an NBA starting point guard someday. But, chances are IF he is your starting point guard, you might not be that good of a team and your front office will always be looking for someone better to replace him.

In the perfect world, I think Fredette should be a back up point guard with a really creative coach and good defenders around him, playing 16-20 minutes a contest to begin with as an offensive boost type spark.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ————————–

What does Indiana do at #15 if Fredette is still on the board? I think they probably would take him. But should they?

As most of you know, I highly value defensive point guards…I think in my view of basketball that defense begins at the point of attack, so in my way of looking at the world Jimmer Fredette isn’t a “Tbird” kind of point guard.

Having said that, I do think overall he will help us more than AJ Price probably. Plus, if Stephenson ever panned out, Fredette would be an interesting player to play with him. And, the tremendous defender that I think Paul George can/will be does let you have some leeway, as I mentioned above. For instance, if we were playing Chicago again, you could put Fredette on one of their wings (Watson, Korver, Bogans etc) and let Paul George guard Rose. Most teams don’t have that kind of flexibility, but we do. So, I can see an argument to be made for taking Fredette, and if all the guys I like better are gone at that point I won’t be complaining as I watch the draft next Thursday. I just won’t be jumping for joy.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————— ————————-

Current NBA comparable: in prime Mike Bibby.

Bibby was a poor defensive starter, but a high quality offensive player for some really good teams in Sacramento. I wasn’t a fan because I didn’t think he guarded well, but Bibby has had a nice career no question.

Former NBA comparable: this is too easy: a smaller Danny Ainge

As always, the above is just my opinion.

Tbird

http://www.pacersdigest.com/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/add-to-any/share_save_171_16.png (http://www.addtoany.com/share_save)

pacer4ever
06-16-2011, 08:34 PM
wow he stole my comparison Mike Bibby in his prime:mad:;)

so question for TBird is Reggie Jackson your kind of pg? ( i would think so but don't want to put words in your mouth)

Justin Tyme
06-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I have no desire to see Fredette in a Pacers uni. I can only continue to hope he's drafted prior to the Pacers.

Pacersalltheway10
06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
And watch Jimmer get burned by Korver, Bogans, and Brewer because they can shoot right over him?

thunderbird1245
06-16-2011, 08:48 PM
And watch Jimmer get burned by Korver, Bogans, and Brewer because they can shoot right over him?

Any shot Brewer or Bogans takes is one less shot taken by Derrick Rose.....that would be the theory anyway.

Didn't say it was a perfect plan, but if you have Jimmer playing for you that is what you would have to match up like.....Rose would make him look silly.

Pacersalltheway10
06-16-2011, 08:57 PM
But it's back where we started with Collison, if it wasn't for Korver and their shooters we could have possible won that series.

CableKC
06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Unless #15+BRush moves up high enough to get him....Jimmer will not be on the board when we draft.

Kid Minneapolis
06-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I have a few guys in mind, and Fredette is one of them. He'd be a massive fan favorite, and bring revenue into the Pacer franchise via ticket sales and television exposure, so I'll forgive him if his defense isn't up to snuff... which I'm not entirely sold that he's going to be all that bad anyway.

trailrunner
06-16-2011, 10:23 PM
Fredette sort of reminds me of a taller Billy Keller. I watched Keller destroy many teams in the fourth quarter of close games.

Young
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Unless #15+BRush moves up high enough to get him....Jimmer will not be on the board when we draft.

I hope you are right.

For those that say he would be a huge fan draw, why? Wasn't the same thing said about Tyler? Tyler had a much better college career than Jimmer and he didn't fill up Conseco.

I think Jimmer has a place in the league. The guy can simply shoot. He will instantly become one of the best shooters in the league and there is a need for that. With that said I think that there will be better options for the Pacers at 15.

I agree with Tbird that your point guard needs to be good on defense. The number of point guards who can score has increased over the past 5-10 years. You have to be able to defend them and I just don't believe Jimmer can do that.

Kid Minneapolis
06-16-2011, 10:37 PM
I hope you are right.

For those that say he would be a huge fan draw, why? Wasn't the same thing said about Tyler? Tyler had a much better college career than Jimmer and he didn't fill up Conseco.

Why? Hansbrough has *already* become a fan favorite. He's not "filling up Conseco", but our ticket sales did go up. Our merchandise sales went up. We made the playoffs with Hansbrough providing the kick in our pants down the stretch.

Hicks
06-16-2011, 10:43 PM

I don't think it's that simple. Usually shooters don't like to be crowded, so unless Jimmer is running out at them, I don't think this is a huge concern.

Plus, what tbird said. One less shot D Rose is taking.

PR07
06-16-2011, 11:02 PM
It's a moot point because he apparetly has a promise from Utah. If he's there though, it should be a no-brainer (although maybe Marshon Brooks).

eldubious
06-16-2011, 11:03 PM
If the draft sites are accurate, the Pacers are torn between Burks and Brooks.
Brooks is instant offense with hopes of becoming a lockdown defender. Even without defense, Brooks could be another Jamal Crawford. With defense, Brooks very well could be Josh Howard in his prime.

Burks is a playmaking SG with an inconsistent jumper. At worst, Burks could be Marquise Daniels. If Burks develops a consistent jumper, he could be just as good as Evan Turner.

That's why I think the Pacers would target Jimmer as the safe pick. When compared to Brooks and Burks, Jimmer is the least risk because of his range.

Young
06-16-2011, 11:04 PM
Why? Hansbrough has *already* become a fan favorite. He's not "filling up Conseco", but our ticket sales did go up. Our merchandise sales went up. We made the playoffs with Hansbrough providing the kick in our pants down the stretch.

But did most of the tickets/merchandise sold go up because of Tyler?

I'm sure that some people would come out just to see Jimmer. I just don't think it would be enough to be a valid reason to draft Jimmer. I can see that if it was someone who grew up in Indiana or played at one of the universities. I just don't see it happening with Jimmer. I think most people know that he won't be a star in the NBA and most people won't buy tickets just because of a bench player.

Again i'm sales would jump some just because of Jimmer. I just don't believe it would be a significant jump.

PR07
06-16-2011, 11:10 PM
See, I think he's more than a bench player though, and he's probably the most well-known player in this entire draft class. That and he's a lethal shooter and can actually create with the ball in his hands too (doesn't hurt). The Pacers shouldn't draft him because of his marketability, that's more of an added bonus.

Kid Minneapolis
06-16-2011, 11:45 PM
But did most of the tickets/merchandise sold go up because of Tyler?

Who's to say? You asked if he filled seats. Our ticket sales went up. All kinds of factors to consider, but if you want me to prove that Tyler Hansbrough filled seats, then I'll ask you to prove that he *didn't*. We can't.

The only considerations were that Tyler would possibly fill seats, that he develops a rabid fanbase wherever he plays, and our seats have started to fill up. Take from that what you will.

I don't think Tyler by himself is the reason we sold more, but I do believe he certainly had a hand in it, and that he has become a fan favorite, and will continue to do so as his role becomes more prominent.

Fredette has the same effect.

I like players who attract a fan base, no matter how over-analyzed they may be. They fill seats, the Pacers make more money, and we don't have to worry about the things we've had to worry about the past 5 years with $$$ and attendance, which makes that big W-thing happen more often.

OakMoses
06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
I feel the same way about drafting Jimmer that I did about drafting Tyler: I don't necessarily want him, but I wouldn't be upset if we got him. I like him. I think he'll have a decent NBA career.

Pacersalltheway10
06-17-2011, 02:01 AM
Most people probably never even heard of Jimmer. The casual fans who we rely on for ticket sales most likely don't know much about Jimmer. They've heard his name but that's about it. Tyler was a multiple year star for UNC. Jimmer for BYU a mid major.

Speed
06-17-2011, 07:41 AM
Brooks is instant offense with hopes of becoming a lockdown defender. Even without defense, Brooks could be another Jamal Crawford. With defense, Brooks very well could be Josh Howard in his prime.

Burks is a playmaking SG with an inconsistent jumper. At worst, Burks could be Marquise Daniels. If Burks develops a consistent jumper, he could be just as good as Evan Turner.

That's why I think the Pacers would target Jimmer as the safe pick. When compared to Brooks and Burks, Jimmer is the least risk because of his range.

According to Chad Ford on the most recent Brad Van Pelt podcast, I think it was, Marshon "lit up" Burks at a recent workout in Charlotte.

As for Jimmer, great write up. I'm watching a replay of BYU double OT game early last season against South Florida, (Jimmer had a great game stat wise 32 pts, 5 steals, 4 assists, 3 boards 10-25 from the field). Jimmer is bothered with the ball under standing pressure and he can't finish, quite often. I still question his conditioning. The main disclaimer, as T Bird points out, BYU had almost no one besides Jimmer. Really bad big men. He is a good ball handler with a head of steam, but he'll be bothered by NBA level defenders when he tries to run an offense. After watching the Central Florida game, I was not really impressed, he got foul calls when he drove, but at the next level I don't think he'll get them, nor will he finish. He has good vision, which should translate. He's a good on the ball defender when he had a chance to to it, but BYU played a bunch of zone and Jimmers load on offense could let him be an intense defender.

I have no doubt he looks good in 3 on 3 workouts and drills, he has a tight handles, deceptive change of direction, and in 3 on 3 he has room to operate. Here's the issue, in 5 on 5 at the NBA level, he won't have this room. Its a completely different game 5 on 5. His skillset is perfect for 3 on 3, so I bet he does look all world. I'm not sure how effective he'll be with all of the speed and length at the next level.

I think I got caught up in the 28 foot bombs watching him over the season, but when you look at him with an NBA eye, its a different perspective.

On the flip side, he's a great guy, just spectacular interview. A kid you hope your daughter brings home to meet you kind of guy.

I'd see him basically like T Bird except, I don't see him as a starter type ever. A solid back up that has to be in the right positions. I hope he goes before the Pacers, if not, its not a horrible pick in this draft at 15, but I'm not sure he beats out AJ, if AJ is 100%.

pwee31
06-17-2011, 07:54 AM
It's a moot point because he apparetly has a promise from Utah. If he's there though, it should be a no-brainer (although maybe Marshon Brooks).

http://twitter.com/#!/chadfordinsider

Jimmer Fredette wasn't initially invited to Green Room either it appears. But again, NBA still has a couple spots available.

Perhaps it was a scenario type of promise and not a promise, promise?

It will pretty much come down to what the Jazz do at #3 and the Kings at #7 I feel

Speed
06-17-2011, 07:58 AM

It will pretty much come down to what the Jazz do at #3 and the Kings at #7 I feel

Right, if Utah takes Knight at 3, they wouldn't take Jimmer at 12, but they could trade back to someone who wants him. That wouldn't surprise, someone falls in love and moves up with him as the target.

Justin Tyme
06-17-2011, 08:42 AM
McBob is from Carmel, In. For you non-Indiana residents, this is the rich suburb on Indy's north side. He was an Indiana HS Allstar, and is a fan favorite. I don't see him being a Pacer selling a hugh amount of tickets, so I don't see Jimmer being a big attendance draw attraction. I am more concerned about a players ability to help the team than putting a few extra derrieres in the seats. I have stated it b4 I don't want Bird picking Ferderette.... PERIOD!

For the last 6 plus years, the Pacers have had a poor "D" backcourt. Most of the time they couldn't stop a senior citizen BB team defensively. Whoever Bird drafts has to able to play good "D" now, and not hope and pray that the player "will learn in years" to come. Brooks, Burks, and Darius Morris should be able to defend AND score. Chris Singleton, SF/PF, can play "D". I'm tired of Bird mostly drafting players who can score, but can't play "D". Why not draft a player who can play both sides of the court and not just the offensive side like Paul George? AND yes, I'll go Rumplestiltskin if Bird drafts Jimmer Fredette, he's not what this team needs. How does he fit in with smashmouth concept of Vogel when he's soft player who will have a difficult getting off his shot? I'm not interested in a specialized 3 pt shooter as such as I watched one for over 3 years who couldn't play "D" either.

Rogco
06-17-2011, 08:47 AM
But it's back where we started with Collison, if it wasn't for Korver and their shooters we could have possible won that series.

Funny thing about that was he was just as open against the Heat and couldn't hit the ocean with a boat.

Oh and back on topic, love your reviews! Best on the net (for a Pacers fan). I would be really interested in a Tbird "who you want to draft, and why", or maybe your ideal draft for the Pacers with trades.

MillerTime
06-17-2011, 09:05 AM
Jimmer is a great shooter but is clueless on defence.

Taterhead
06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Pretty much exactly how I view him as well. I'm surprised you didn't have 4 know it alls telling you how dumb you are though.

I don't want any player that needs to be coached up to be an average NBA defender at best. And I definitely don't want somebody who showed that they did not care about defending their position. The guy couldn't even play a descent zone in college! He is probably the worst defensive player in the draft.

Despite his collegiate success, he is nothing more than a limited offensive player who can't defend any position on the NBA level. Personally, I'll pass 100 times out of 100.

Brad8888
06-17-2011, 12:06 PM
Why take him? The Pacers have already had Sarunas on the squad.

Admittedly, Fredette sounds like a stronger and somewhat quicker version of him with a better personality, but he simply sounds more like a 10 minute per backup who is immediately going to be assumed by the defenses of other teams to be the designated three point shooter. The question is, will he be quick enough to create his own space to take those shots, or will he require multiple screens to get a clean shot consistently without having to run his legs off like Reggie? I suspect that his legs would leave him as the season would progress, leaving him a weakness, even at reduced minutes.

With respect to taking Fredette at 15, I hope the Pacers make like Stockton and pass, pass, pass.

Trader Joe
06-17-2011, 12:22 PM

They have 1 shooter on the whole team. Bogans kinda, sorta got hot in game 5.

CableKC
06-17-2011, 04:07 PM
They have 1 shooter on the whole team. Bogans kinda, sorta got hot in game 5.
You don't think that Korver is a shooter?

pacer4ever
06-17-2011, 04:13 PM
You don't think that Korver is a shooter?

that is who he is talking about Korver is their only shooter

CableKC
06-17-2011, 04:14 PM
that is who he is talking about Korver is their only shooter
My mistake...I thought he was referring to Bogans.

Gamble1
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Sources from the Jazz also said they wouldn't take 2 guards in the first round so take that for what its worth.

Personally it may depend on how they view Harris and Milsap. If Harris get dealt then they go pg at number 3. If Milsap gets dealt then maybe they go big.

Gamble1
06-17-2011, 04:33 PM
McBob is from Carmel, In. For you non-Indiana residents, this is the rich suburb on Indy's north side. He was an Indiana HS Allstar, and is a fan favorite. I don't see him being a Pacer selling a hugh amount of tickets, so I don't see Jimmer being a big attendance draw attraction. I am more concerned about a players ability to help the team than putting a few extra derrieres in the seats. I have stated it b4 I don't want Bird picking Ferderette.... PERIOD!

For the last 6 plus years, the Pacers have had a poor "D" backcourt. Most of the time they couldn't stop a senior citizen BB team defensively. Whoever Bird drafts has to able to play good "D" now, and not hope and pray that the player "will learn in years" to come. Brooks, Burks, and Darius Morris should be able to defend AND score. Chris Singleton, SF/PF, can play "D". I'm tired of Bird mostly drafting players who can score, but can't play "D". Why not draft a player who can play both sides of the court and not just the offensive side like Paul George? AND yes, I'll go Rumplestiltskin if Bird drafts Jimmer Fredette, he's not what this team needs. How does he fit in with smashmouth concept of Vogel when he's soft player who will have a difficult getting off his shot? I'm not interested in a specialized 3 pt shooter as such as I watched one for over 3 years who couldn't play "D" either.
So I am reading your post and I am just wondering who has Bird drafted who can't play both sides of floor. For one he hasn't been at the helm that long so most of those players aren't even developed nba players yet.

Is it Tyler, PG, Rush. I'll give you Lance but the guy still can't buy liquor.
I think "most" is the wrong word to use here personally.

The other bolded part just seems odd to me. You word it with such conviction but then you throw up a question mark????

IMO this draft shouldn't cause an over reaction because most of the players at 15 are good not great and probably will affect winning in about the same way whether thats through offense or defense.

IndyPacer
06-17-2011, 08:31 PM

I'd definitely be on board with selecting Burks. In fact, I'd be willing to trade up a bit if the price was right. Personally, I think Alec Burks could end up being one of the best players in this draft. If he adds some strength and really works on his shot, he could be quite a player. I would be surprised if he was not selected in the top 10.

I'm not as keen on Brooks. I'm not against him either, but I'd be much happier with Burks.

Kegboy
06-17-2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/30103585

Report: Jimmer Fredette invited to green room
BYU guard Jimmer Fredette has reportedly been invited to the green room for the 2011 NBA Draft. Posted by Ben Golliver.

Jimmer Fredette apparently isn't all hype.

The much ballyhooed guard was a national sensation as a senior at BYU, but many questioned how his game and physical tools would translate to the NBA level.

The early indications are that Fredette will translate at the lottery-pick level.

The Salt Lake Tribune reports (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/52028972-62/draft-fredette-green-nba.html.csp) that Fredette has been extended an invite to the green room for next week's 2011 NBA Draft.

Former Brigham Young guard Jimmer Fredette has been invited to the famed green room for the 2011 NBA Draft, which is scheduled next Thursday in Newark, N.J.

Only draft picks expected to be taken with selections 1-14 are normally allowed in the green room.
A green room invite isn't a total guarantee that you'll be picked in the first half of the first round, but those invites aren't handed out lightly.

This news will certainly fuel speculation as to where Fredette will land. Teams that have reported interest in him include the Sacramento Kings (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/SAC) at No. 7, the Utah Jazz (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/UTA) at No. 12, the Phoenix Suns (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/PHO) at No. 13 and the Indiana Pacers (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/teams/page/IND) at No. 15.

At this point, given all the buzz surrounding his draft workouts, it would be very difficult to see him falling past the Pacers, and the public pressure for the Jazz to take him at No. 12 is immense.