PDA

View Full Version : Bird on 1070 The Fan

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Said he's got the draft nailed down to three guys, one or two of which should be available to us.

Said of Paul George's potential, "the sky's the limit," which I think is funny because of Paul's Twitter bio, "don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon!".

still on, talking about Vogel now.

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Of Vogel, Bird said he wants Vogel to find a veteran to be first assistant coach, or at least in his team.

Complementing Rick Carlisle on the win, saying the Mavs had a great team, Miami was a tough opponent, but, "team basketball took them apart."

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Now simply discussing comparisons between Bird and Nowitzki.

"You gotta have ability to shoot over people, go in the post, get easy baskets, and take it off the dribble to get to the rim. Dirk's amazing at getting those shots up... It's a plus anytime you can go out from 5 feet to 25 feet, because they have to guard you at all times. He put on an amazing show, he worked very hard to get where he is."

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
On Slick Leonard:

"He's feeling great, he's getting around pretty good (sic), and we're looking to spending some time this summer."

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Bird's done. Hibbert's coming in before 4 o'clock. Then Tameca Catchings (sp) to talk about the Fever later. Denari's in for JMV.

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Elaborating on Vogel, Mike Wells tweeted (http://twitter.com/#!/MikeWellsNBA/statuses/81085142432616449):

"Bird reiterated on @1070thefan what's been written several times: He's waiting on Vogel to upgrade his staff b4 finalizing the coaching job"

ChristianDudley
06-15-2011, 04:04 PM
I bet 2 of those 3 players in the Draft he's talking about are Jimmer Fredette and Marshon Brooks. The third one I'm not sure of exactly...I have several names in mind of who it could be.

Justin Tyme
06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jimmer isn't just a smoke screen by Bird.

esabyrn333
06-15-2011, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jimmer isn't just a smoke screen by Bird.

This is what I think. I just don't believe Bird would show his hand. Luke Jackson anyone?

Unclebuck
06-15-2011, 04:44 PM
This whole coach hiring/search has rubbed me the wrong way. From the rumors of a 1 year deal, to now this, "upgrade your coaching staff and then I might hire you"

Either we want Vogel or not, if we want Vogel go ahead and hire him, he can upgrade his staff as we move forward. The whole process seems backwards.

Making Bird/Pacers look bad IMO.

if I could talk to Bird off the record I would ask him, if he wants Vogel - simple yes or no? If he says yes, if he gets better assistants. I would then say OK if he cannot get "better assistants" then you don;t want him? Is that what you are saying larry.
If that is what larry is saying then IMO he doesn't really think Vogel is the answer. Hire someone else then.

That would be like looking to hire a CEO and you are only willing to hire him if he can bring along the proper VP's.

Did DW only hire Bird after he knew Harter and carlisle were coming with him.

Was mark jackson just hired with nthe stipulation that he was bring Mike Malone along? No, because the Warriors hired him independent of jackson

DrFife
06-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Methinks one from among the guards {Jimmer, Klay Thompson, Burks, Brooks} ...
and one from among the bigs {Tristan Thompson, Markieff Morris} ... and maybe Chris Singleton, although I sense that Larry isn't interested in defenders-only (e.g., Biyombo) or motor problems (Motiejunas).

My best guess - one of the guards: Jimmer, Burks, Brooks. We'll pursue a veteran big later.

Kegboy
06-15-2011, 04:47 PM
The easy assumption is the three spoken of are Jimmer, Brooks, and Burks. Of course, we won't know until draft night if that is really the direction Larry is leaning towards.

Gamble1
06-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I bet 2 of those 3 players in the Draft he's talking about are Jimmer Fredette and Marshon Brooks. The third one I'm not sure of exactly...I have several names in mind of who it could be.
Its probably a big based on his comments before.

Hicks
06-15-2011, 04:51 PM

Hard to see it as a smokescreen when he hasn't said one way or the other that Jimmer's one of his guys. That's all been media and fan speculation, more or less.

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 04:56 PM
This whole coach hiring/search has rubbed me the wrong way. From the rumors of a 1 year deal, to now this, "upgrade your coaching staff and then I might hire you"

Either we want Vogel or not, if we want Vogel go ahead and hire him, he can upgrade his staff as we move forward. The whole process seems backwards.

if I could talk to Bird off the record I would ask him, if he wants Vogel - simple yes or no? If he says yes, if he gets better assistants. I would then say OK if he cannot get "better assistants" then you don;t want him? Is that what you are saying larry.
If that is what larry is saying then IMO he doesn't really think Vogel is the answer. Hire someone else then.

That would be like looking to hire a CEO and you are only willing to hire him if he can bring along the proper VP's.

Was mark jackson just hired with nthe stipulation that he was bring Mike Malone along? No, because the Warriors hired him independent of jackson

I think what Bird is doing is waiting until Vogel has all of his assistants together and on display before Bird officially re-signs him, makes the announcement, etc.

MyFavMartin
06-15-2011, 05:00 PM
My speculation: Brooks, Klay Thompson and Markieff, figuring Jimmer and Tristan are gone.

Reminds me that they had Granger pegged as a Top 5 player and figured he'd be long gone, but when he was available, the Pacers obviously ignored who they thought was going to be there and went with Danny... though they did bring in Danny late based on rumors that he'd fall in the draft.

Marshon might be climbing: http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_983d0f5e-9644-11e0-9afa-001cc4c03286.html

The Bucks like him a lot,'' Cohen said. "The Bucks are now looking to bring him there (to Milwaukee) for another workout.''

90'sNBARocked
06-15-2011, 06:28 PM
Bird kills me with "I have identified 1-4 guys" says it every year

dont most GM's narrow it down to 1-4 guys?

imbtyler
06-15-2011, 06:37 PM

I'd rather Bird have a broad idea who he's drafting next week than still being absolutely oblivious or unsure who to get when our name is called.

CableKC
06-15-2011, 06:46 PM
I don't get why Jimmer would be a smoke screen....he's slated to go anywhere between #7 to where we pick...with multiple Teams ( Kings, Jazz and Suns ) having a need for a Player like him. Bird is a BPA type of guy....if Jimmer is there at 15 ( which I am beginning to doubt ), I can see him drafting him as the BPA...as much of a guy that fills a likely need.

CableKC
06-15-2011, 06:50 PM

That's what I don't get....as you said...you either want him...or you don't. All this "upgrade your staff" stuff just seems really wierd if you ask me. It just leaves the question about why this is taking so long and whether Bird is simply waiting on Dwayne Casey to interview him ( since the Finals just ended a few days ago ).

As you said...the question is easy....the answer is either yes or no.....not "if this then that" type of response. For me, Bird has always seemed to be a straight-forward type of guy....more of a "black or white' ( pardon the pun ) type of guy with little "gray area" when it comes to his responses. This is a total "gray area" type response from a "straight shooter" that is neither "yes" or "no"...which is why this whole Coaching situation is throwing me off.

vnzla81
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM

This is exactly how I feel, reason why I posted that he have waited all this time for nothing, if Bird really wants the guy he should just hire him now and stop with the BS.

Hicks
06-15-2011, 08:21 PM

If you think most GM's narrow it down to 1-4 guys, why does it kill you when Bird says the same thing?

Hicks
06-15-2011, 08:25 PM
This is exactly how I feel, reason why I posted that he have waited all this time for nothing, if Bird really wants the guy he should just hire him now and stop with the BS.

What does it matter? Say he announced Frank is our coach on June 1st. What then is different other than we're still waiting to know who the assistants are? So what?

I mean I understand the concern about whether they really want him or not, but let's be honest: If they didn't want him, they would never hire him, no matter who the assistants are.

Pacersalltheway10
06-15-2011, 09:10 PM
My speculation: Brooks, Klay Thompson and Markieff, figuring Jimmer and Tristan are gone.

Reminds me that they had Granger pegged as a Top 5 player and figured he'd be long gone, but when he was available, the Pacers obviously ignored who they thought was going to be there and went with Danny... though they did bring in Danny late based on rumors that he'd fall in the draft.

Marshon might be climbing: http://www.journaltimes.com/sports/article_983d0f5e-9644-11e0-9afa-001cc4c03286.html

I think Alec Burks might come in for a late workout now.

Trader Joe
06-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Personally I think Bird's great at playing chicken before the draft. He landed us George last year, that buys him at least blind faith for this year, and if George really pans out then he's got 2-3 years where he could draft the Hamburgler at 15 overall and I'd say let's roll with it.

90'sNBARocked
06-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Hard to see it as a smokescreen when he hasn't said one way or the other that Jimmer's one of his guys. That's all been media and fan speculation, more or less.

Great point

its kinda of like the sterotypical assumption of Bird, like when he took Tyler

imbtyler
06-16-2011, 03:51 AM
Personally I think Bird's great at playing chicken before the draft. He landed us George last year, that buys him at least blind faith for this year, and if George really pans out then he's got 2-3 years where he could draft the Hamburgler at 15 overall and I'd say let's roll with it.

On a serious note, if we draft the Hamburglar at 15, he better be able to pass better than Collison. I mean, we all know his defense is unstoppable (15 burger steals per game, if I'm not mistaken), but if can't distribute, what's the point in drafting him?

/poorhumor

able
06-16-2011, 04:15 AM
What does it matter? Say he announced Frank is our coach on June 1st. What then is different other than we're still waiting to know who the assistants are? So what?

I mean I understand the concern about whether they really want him or not, but let's be honest: If they didn't want him, they would never hire him, no matter who the assistants are.

No, this is a "We will hire you because it seems the players and the fans want us to do and we like to sell seats, but we personally think you can not do the job.
In fact we think you are so bad we want you to hire your assistants first and if we like them we consider giving you the job.
It also makes it easier to kick you to the curb halfway along the season if we don't really like what we see."

If i was Vogel and I could get a job elsewhere, even as assistant, I'd be out in a second, never wanting to work for someone who treats me like that, certainly not after saving his puny behind by getting to the playoffs against all odds.

pacergod2
06-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I completely disagree with the sentiment that Bird doesn't intend to hire Vogel. I think he intended to hire Vogel from the start, but he wants to make sure Vogel is doing what he wants right now in getting a staff together and developing a playbook before he hires him. I don't think the franchise intended from day one to hire any coach before the lockout. I could be wrong, but I think we will defer the technical hiring and payment of our staff. It doesn't mean we don't already have a handshake agreement with him that he will be our next head coach. Vogel wants the job and will absolutely be willing to wait. If he wasn't willing to wait, he wouldn't really want the job that bad anyway. I think when Vogel contacts his guys, he can say with certainty that he has been hired already, but that anybody who joins the staff won't be paid during the lockout and is the reason behind having no announcements.

I think Bird is being extremely hands on with Vogel right now, so that we have the right mix of coaches for our players.

Here is my hopes:
Head Coach: Frank Vogel
Assistant Coach: Frank Hamblen
Assistant Coach: Terry Porter
Assistant Coach: Bill Laimbeer
Assistant Coach: John-Blair Bickerstaff
Assistant Coach: LaSalle Thompson

I could definitely see Chuck Person coming back as well. I would welcome that. I think possibly adding a few assistants who have worked together in some capacity would really help the team.

PS - Did you know that Marywood University are the Pacers as well? Intersting. I'm not familiar with the school, but whatever.

BPump33
06-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Assistant Coach: Bill Laimbeer

One of these days I'm going to get you to squash this dream. :D

Really?
06-16-2011, 01:58 PM

I think Tristian is the 3rd...

I don't think Biyombo is in consideration at all... did the pacers even send a representative over to.. the Euro camp.. I know a lot of GM's were there but I didn't hear Birds name mentioned.

Really?
06-16-2011, 02:02 PM
As I said before if Bird doesn't hire Vogel who that is left is still a backup option...

Either hire Vogel now or go after someone else.. It should be that simple... definitively don't like that way this is being handled... I know that Bird is trying to put this team in the best position if he hires Vogel but if we don't have the best assistants this year then we can just dump the bad ones and bring in new ones... I don't get it...

The Sleeze
06-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I personally think the 4 players are : Jimmer Fredette, Marshon Brooks, Tristan Thompson, and Chris Singleton

Possibly Markieff Morris in place of Singleton, but I hope not.