PDA

View Full Version : The Lorbek and Stanko thread

Ozwalt72
06-15-2011, 12:31 PM
To avoid derailing the T-Bird's prospect thread more-so, there should be a thread to discuss these two players. It looks as if at least one of them will be coming over. We had a thread with some good insight on both not THAT long ago, but I figure something fresh is due. And it's the offseason, so deal with it.

Draft Express profiles for both:

Stanko: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Stanko-Barac-249/

Lorbek: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erazem-Lorbek-30/

They've both turned into solid European big men. Lorbek is listed at 6'11" 246lbs or so, and Stanko is 7'1" 230, though he looks heavier than that in highlight videos.

Unfortunately neither are great rebounders, but have some NBA skills that look to translate.

Erazem supposedly has an out for the NBA this offseason and Barac's buyout is a reported 1.5 million. So it is possible (if unlikely) that both could join the team this year.

(Buyout info lifted shamelessly from other threads. Sorry guys.)

naptownmenace
06-15-2011, 12:50 PM
There was a really good thread about Stanko earlier this year.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=60464

Also you can check out the highlights from Stanko's impressive 2 games against the Spurs this past preseason.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/video/2010/10/22/barachighlights2010-1445724

That thread gave birth to this awesome visual:

Finally got this put together...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5292/5497209618_271ddfc17d_z.jpg

Ozwalt72
06-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Yes and that thread was what I found stanko buyout info in, but I figured rather than revive the dead, we begin anew...thanks for linking it, I meant to.

PaceBalls
06-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I am more excited about getting Lorbek and The Stank here than I am about our draft pick.
Unless of course we end up with the 2nd pick. DWilliams is going to be an All Star within 3 years.

naptownmenace
06-15-2011, 12:59 PM
For the record, I'm definitely in the "Sign Stanko" camp. He still has starter potential because he can defend and has good footwork on offense. At the least he'll be a good backup to Roy for 10 - 15 minutes.

I'm lukewarm on Lorbek though. He hasn't shown nearly as much improvement.

Pingu
06-15-2011, 01:41 PM
I was watching Lorbek just yesterday in the Spanish basketball league finals. While I don't necessarily think that he has the physical tools to make it in the NBA, I say you still have to bring him over for summer league/training camp. Now the question is whether this could be done without having to sign him to a long term contract.

I mean, he's one of the better PFs in Europe. You have to take a closer look at him in an NBA context before you give up on him.

Midcoasted
06-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Do you guys think since a Euro big man (Dirk) just won a very highly rated NBA finals, that it gives our FO pull for bringing over our Euro big men?

Stanko is definitely the perfect back-up center for us. Tough, can defend, and his rebounding may be better than believed.

Lorbek is a greatly respected power forward in Europe. He shot the three at like 44 percent for most of his career over there. He could really be a good change of pace when Hansbrough rests. Hansbrough attacks the basket, Lorbek comes in, speads the floor and busts some threes. I think Murphy may be Lorbek lite, not the other way around. LOL.

We may be set at big man this year if we can lure them over finally. They are the huge wildcard that could turn us into a true competitor.

Between Lance, Lorbek, and Stanko, and Price, that is some strong second round talent. If they ever play for us and live up to their potentials, Larry Bird may be looked at as the best drafting president in the NBA in the next few years.

Ozwalt72
06-15-2011, 01:48 PM
I say you still have to bring him over for summer league/training camp. Now the question is whether this could be done without having to sign him to a long term contract.

Basically, no, you can't. That's what makes it difficult.

ballism
06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
I wonder about price. Neither would be at rookie scale. Are we ready to spend some 3-4 mil a year on either of them, for 3 years or more?
It's not like signing a Solo and then forgetting about him when he fails.
Lorbek is probably the better player right now, but he's basically a slightly taller Hansbrough without the motor. Redundant for us.
Stanko, I'm not sure he's ready for 15 minutesi in the NBA yet, or whatever we need to rest Hibbert.

Ozwalt72
06-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Thing is, i doubt either Lorbek or Barac are much more than 3rd and 4th bigs. Bring Foster back, and one of the two could probably be effective paired with him. And I think Barac could be a decent fit with Hans. Do either of them match well with Hibbert? I think Barac is an interesting compliment to Hibbert as a backup. The little I've seen of him seems like he uses his size, doesn't get into the air like Hibbert has been prone to do and is very good at keeping his arms vertical. Not sure there is enough rebounding or athleticism to run Hibbert out there with either, but that's not a deal breaker.

Ozwalt72
06-15-2011, 01:59 PM
I wonder about price. Neither would be at rookie scale. Are we ready to spend some 3-4 mil a year on either of them, for 3 years or more?
It's not like signing a Solo and then forgetting about him when he fails.
Lorbek is probably the better player right now, but he's basically a slightly taller Hansbrough without the motor. Redundant for us.
Stanko, I'm not sure he's ready for 15 minutesi in the NBA yet, or whatever we need to rest Hibbert.

Stanko might not be ready for all of the backup minutes behind Hibbert, but bringing him in now would have its advantages. One, Foster is still productive. Two, it would get him in the system under a new (if Vogel, sort of) coach that will allow him time to learn the system and adjust to NBA basketball. I think 3 mil a year for 3 years under the current CBA would be solid.

Eleazar
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Stanko might not be ready for all of the backup minutes behind Hibbert, but bringing him in now would have its advantages. One, Foster is still productive. Two, it would get him in the system under a new (if Vogel, sort of) coach that will allow him time to learn the system and adjust to NBA basketball. I think 3 mil a year for 3 years under the current CBA would be solid.

I agree. I'm not sure about bringing them both over, but I think bringing Stanko over this season is a good idea while we still have Foster. Give the guy a year to adjust then see where he is the following. Under the current CBA the third season would be a team option. The new CBA throws a wrench in it though, and I wouldn't expect the Pacers to decide to bring either over until the new CBA a signed.

Pingu
06-15-2011, 02:21 PM
The whole CBA thing actually makes bringing either Stanko or Lorbek over this year much more difficult, if not impossible.

Both players play in the Spanish league, which starts around early October. The CBA issue presumably would have to get resolved fairly early, and before early October anyway. I can't imagine either player being willing to leave their current team to go play in a league which might not have a season.

Kemo
06-15-2011, 06:35 PM
I can't imagine either player being willing to leave their current team to go play in a league which might not have a season.

I totally can see that.. but I've heard stranger things...but
Rubio is .. and he is a bigger euro name ..

All I know , is that there needs to be a stipulation added in to bringing Stanko over..

And that would be that "Stanko" has to be the name on the back of his jersey .. heh

How awesome would that be ? lmao .. His nickname could be "Big Stank"

I am serious though about his first name being the name on his jersey tho..

Would that be unprecedented? I seem to recall a few other players in the past with names other than their last names on the back... maybe false memories I dunno.. maybe someone with more knowledge about it could chime in ..

ballism
06-15-2011, 06:39 PM
It's not a sure thing yet that Rubio is coming over either. Nor the euros from this year's draft.
There are ways to figure it out - if the euro team and the player are willing - say remake the euro contract so as to give a chance to leave in mid year just for next year for a bigger buyout.
But overall, it is a problem.