PDA

View Full Version : DeAndre Jordan RFA

PaulGeorge
06-14-2011, 05:04 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

DeAndre Jordan | Clippers TopEmailCommentsAccording to Alex Kennedy of HOOPSWORLD, the Clippers have extended a qualifying offer to DeAndre Jordan, making him a restricted free agent.

This was an expected move, as the team is looking to pair the young, defensive-minded center with Rookie of the Year Blake Griffin going forward as a strong frontcourt duo.

But it's possible the Clippers may have some competition for his services, other offers of which they'll be able to match and retain Jordan.

The Rockets -- with Yao Ming's future uncertain and Brad Miller injured -- could be in need of a center. Portland -- depending on whether they retain Greg Oden or not -- could aso be interested in a center.

The Heat and Knicks will be in the market for centers this offseason, but likely won't be able to offer anything the Clippers wouldn't look to match.

-- Ryan Corazza
-----------------------------------------------------------------

From the games I saw he looked like an awesome center. very athletic and can def D up allstar bigs. Clips are always trading away talent and takin in questoinable players.

CooperManning
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Would love to have him, but we have to pay Roy next summer and there's no sense in having like 80 mil tied up between two 5s. Hopefully the Clips will overpay Jordan and pave the way for EJ to come to Indy.

OakMoses
06-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Would love to have him, but we have to pay Roy next summer and there's no sense in having like 80 mil tied up between two 5s. Hopefully the Clips will overpay Jordan and pave the way for EJ to come to Indy.

We could always not pay Roy.

PacerPenguins
06-14-2011, 05:54 PM
i would love to have deAndre

Pacer Fan
06-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Offer 5yr. 35-40mil.. This will atleast push the Clippers into over paying him. If not, Pacers will have a very nice start to 11' in the front court. Heck of a 1-2 punch. Would Love to have him.

esabyrn333
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Could you start DeAndre next to Roy I would love to see that D @ Power atheletic game with Roy's O

Doddage
06-14-2011, 07:11 PM
If Sterling's not a stingy idiot, Jordan won't be going anywhere next season.

mikeyism
06-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Here is the scouting report from Hollinger:

+ Big lefty who can get deep position and make short-range shots.

+ Has no shooting range or ball skills; worst foul shooter in captivity.

+ Size adds defensive value but needs better focus and coordination.

Jordan's free throw stroke doesn't look that bad -- certainly it seems better than Chris Dudley's or Ben Wallace's. But the ball don't lie: Jordan stands at 38 percent for his career, on a pretty large sample of 237 free throw attempts. Based on this data, hack-a-'Dre is an outstanding strategy at the end of quarters, where teams can essentially give themselves a 2-for-1 with a bad Clippers possession in between. Not enough opponents take advantage of this option.

Jordan is a good finisher around the basket and can get deep post position, plus he ranked 17th among centers in Rebound Rate. But the free throws are indicative of his lack of focus and iffy work ethic, traits that also get him in trouble on defense. The other issue is his propensity for turnovers -- only three centers produced a worse Turnover Ratio.

Dr. Awesome
06-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Offer 5yr. 35-40mil.. This will atleast push the Clippers into over paying him. If not, Pacers will have a very nice start to 11' in the front court. Heck of a 1-2 punch. Would Love to have him.

I'd be okay with that, I mean its definitely overpaying, but we could run him at PF for times and have a young twin towers. I still think the Clippers would match which is why I'd offer that, to throw them off...

cdash
06-14-2011, 07:34 PM
Too many people are trying to fit square pegs in round holes by putting another center next to Roy in the froncourt. It wouldn't work. It's a nice thought, and would be worth a shot if the guy was on a minimum or rookie contract, but throwing serious money at DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler (two guys with virtually no offensive games, for the record) hoping it would work out is not a wise use of our cap space. I know we need a defensive minded, athletic defender next to Roy as much as anyone else, but this is not the route to take.

Indy1831
06-14-2011, 07:44 PM
I love Roy, and Im not saying Jordan is better but if we could sign Jordan I would consider moving Roy in the draft to move up for a Williams or Knight. Problem is we would mortgage a lot on a possibility because we could not sign Jordan until a week after the draft which means trading Hibbert w/ no guarantee Jordan signs here.

I think Hibbert, Rush, 15 could get us close to top 5.

CooperManning
06-14-2011, 07:51 PM
I love Roy, and Im not saying Jordan is better but if we could sign Jordan I would consider moving Roy in the draft to move up for a Williams or Knight. Problem is we would mortgage a lot on a possibility because we could not sign Jordan until a week after the draft which means trading Hibbert w/ no guarantee Jordan signs here.

Outside of Kyrie and D. Williams, who in the 3-8 range would you trade Roy and #15 for? I don't think there's anyone in this draft worth that much.

Indy1831
06-14-2011, 07:56 PM
Knight & Williams only. We cant get Irving. I think #2 could be in play for that offer. But again, Im not sure I'de be willing to play that kind of poker, then get burned and not have Hibbert or Jordan.

Indy1831
06-14-2011, 08:01 PM
This is a fantastic lineup w/ tons of room to grow.

Jordan/Foster
Hansbrough/McRoberts
Granger/Posey
George/Jones/Stephenson
Collison/Knight/Price

Year 2 for Knight, I consider moving Collison which will be a valuable piece and Brandon becomes starter.

Completely hypothetical though.

Hicks
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Too many people are trying to fit square pegs in round holes by putting another center next to Roy in the froncourt. It wouldn't work. It's a nice thought, and would be worth a shot if the guy was on a minimum or rookie contract, but throwing serious money at DeAndre Jordan or Tyson Chandler (two guys with virtually no offensive games, for the record) hoping it would work out is not a wise use of our cap space. I know we need a defensive minded, athletic defender next to Roy as much as anyone else, but this is not the route to take.

Why do you feel that way? Do you think they can't guard power forwards better than, say, Jeff Foster does?

Pacersalltheway10
06-14-2011, 08:03 PM
If we want to trade Roy we better be getting Marc Gasol or Nene

Pacer Fan
06-14-2011, 08:05 PM

I agree with the C/PF and if it takes 11+ mil to get chandler at his age, then I don't want him.
But...
Pacers need someone to come off the bench and Pacers was just paying Foster 6.6mil. and was playing Bob at times. Hibbert only plays approx. 25 mpg. So, we get slap jacks for the other 23 mpg to save acouple million? And if Hibbert gets in foul trouble or gets hurt...we play who? Let's actually try to spend some of the salary to make Pacers solid and a much better team. If Pacers can get Jordan for 7-8 mil. I see know down side in that. We can't get another center that good at age 22 with his skill set. I don't see it happening in a trade unless it's a expiring dump that just messes with team chemistry.

cdash
Why do you feel that way? Do you think they can't guard power forwards better than, say, Jeff Foster does?

I think they can do it, but you limit their effectiveness that way. You make them play PF and chase around the many, many perimeter oriented 4s, it will pull them away from the basket and vastly diminish their effectiveness. Lord knows you can't switch it and pull Roy away from the basket. At that point, you take away the best part of their games and they contribute very, very little on the offensive end. Not only that, but you are paying them a premium to do it.

Indy1831
Gasol Ide rather have over Jordan but not Nene. But I cant see Gasol or Nene leaving.

Not high on Nene hes 29 with a surgically repaired blown out knee who is wanting a 6 year deal at prob around 14 or 15 MIL a season. If he were 25 I would pay him, but Nene is going to be way over paid the last 3 years of that deal.

Where as Gasol is 26 and Jordan is 22.

If your going to pay someone, pay someone who will live the life of the contract.

Hicks
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM
I think they can do it, but you limit their effectiveness that way. You make them play PF and chase around the many, many perimeter oriented 4s, it will pull them away from the basket and vastly diminish their effectiveness. Lord knows you can't switch it and pull Roy away from the basket. At that point, you take away the best part of their games and they contribute very, very little on the offensive end. Not only that, but you are paying them a premium to do it.

I guess I feel like this kind of a mismatch is given more importance than it deserves. Besides, most of those "stretch fours" couldn't stop a guy like Jordan from finishing around the hoop, either, so it goes both ways.

Pacer Fan
06-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Pacers could always do that next year with Roy or Jordan in a much better draft. Just a thought!

cdash
06-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I guess I feel like this kind of a mismatch is given more importance than it deserves. Besides, most of those "stretch fours" couldn't stop a guy like Jordan from finishing around the hoop, either, so it goes both ways.

No, it doesn't. Have you watched that guy? He has no offensive moves whatsoever. The only reason he scores is because his man drifts over to help on Blake Griffin. He will score on put backs and garbage plays and what not, but Jordan is not a guy who takes advantage of having slightly smaller guys guarding him. He just doesn't have an offensive game.

Indy1831
06-14-2011, 08:12 PM
No, it doesn't. Have you watched that guy? He has no offensive moves whatsoever. The only reason he scores is because his man drifts over to help on Blake Griffin. He will score on put backs and garbage plays and what not, but Jordan is not a guy who takes advantage of having slightly smaller guys guarding him. He just doesn't have an offensive game.

This is true but when compared to a Tyson Chandler for example with similar range we are talking about a 22 vs 29 year old.

A LOT of time for Jordan to work on his offensive game. He is a center without a doubt though, but I think there can be teams and matchups where Hibs and Jordan could play together like Gasol/Bynum or Duncan/Splitter.

Hicks
06-14-2011, 08:16 PM

I didn't say he would score off of a move, I said he would finish. In other words, if he gets to/around the rim, a stretch four is likely going to get the ball tattooed on his head, as opposed to being able to prevent the dunk or layup attempt. I did not in any way mean to suggest a set play revolving a one on one scoring situation.

Roy's a willing and able passer. Either they just glue to the jumbo PF, or they double off, Roy finds him, and he finishes rather easily.

Otherwise, it's like any big without a scoring game, you have him out there moving and screening to go along with the junk yard plays. I'm just saying he's likely to have an easier time doing that with a stretch four guarding him rather than a center.

pacer4ever
06-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Jordan isn't going anywhere nuff said him and Blake are BFF's and perfect next to each other.

pacer4ever
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM

He is a dunk machine besides that his offense is very poor he can score in the post but not very often. He is perfect with Blake. He is a shot blocker and re bounder.

Pacer Fan
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Jordan isn't going anywhere nuff said him and Blake are BFF's and perfect next to each other.

Thanks for ruining my moment, I owe you one!;)

ballism
06-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Jordan isn't a good defender to begin with, his main value is in protecting the rim. I don't see how putting him 15-20 feet away from the basket helps your defence. He doesn't have an extreme lateral quickness, nor does he run the floor like a power forward. If I'm the opposing team, I just keep switching untill someone gets past Jordan and then all kinds of options open up.
Heck, some teams wouldn't even have to switch, Bosh or Blake or Josh Smith would just keep getting past him.
Running teams would play 3 on 4 or 3 on 5 for a few extra seconds while Jordan / Hibbert run back, most possessions.
And if you have two behemoths like Memphis, just punk the heck out of Hibbert / Jordan, it's not exactly the most intimidating duo under the basket either when it comes to establishing positions and D.

cdash
06-14-2011, 08:57 PM
He is a dunk machine besides that his offense is very poor he can score in the post but not very often. He is perfect with Blake. He is a shot blocker and re bounder.

Yeah I agree he is in the perfect situation next to Blake Griffin. It lets him concentrate on what he does best and puts no pressure on him to score or do things out of his comfort zone. At the same time, it allows Blake to not have to worry about his defense as much because Jordan will clean up some of his mess.

pacer4ever
06-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Jordan isn't a good defender to begin with, his main value is in protecting the rim. I don't see how putting him 15-20 feet away from the basket helps your defence. He doesn't have an extreme lateral quickness, nor does he run the floor like a power forward. If I'm the opposing team, I just keep switching untill someone gets past Jordan and then all kinds of options open up.
Heck, some teams wouldn't even have to switch, Bosh or Blake or Josh Smith would just keep getting past him.
Running teams would play 3 on 4 or 3 on 5 for a few extra seconds while Jordan / Hibbert run back, most possessions.
And if you have two behemoths like Memphis, just punk the heck out of Hibbert / Jordan, it's not exactly the most intimidating duo under the basket either when it comes to establishing positions and D.

I agree Deandre is a very good help defender and basket protector his IQ is poor he commits a lot of stupid fouls but he is really good at what he does. Him and Roy would be a terrible fit playing together. He would fit pretty good with Tyler but not for the price he is gonna come at.

MUpaceSIC
06-14-2011, 09:43 PM
I love how every time there is free agent news ESPN always has to throw in how the Heat and Knicks would love to have this player, but have no assets in which to obtain him.

pacer4ever
06-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I love how every time there is free agent news ESPN always has to throw in how the Heat and Knicks would love to have this player, but have no assets in which to obtain him.

The Knicks have some cap room and it was reported early in the year they would make a play for him.

Trophy
06-14-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't want to bug Donald Sterling and the Clippers FO about anyone else, but Eric Gordon.

The Clippers are extremely high on DeAndre Jordan. He's developing into a solid center and is actually a perfect fit with Griffin.

They won't break up those 2. Those positions are pretty much guaranteed to be set.

Pacerized
06-14-2011, 11:26 PM
Jordan would be way down my list of big men to pursue. I'd much rather have Kaman if the price were right.
Nene would still be my first choice of available big men. I have no concerns at all about his health when you look at his play and consistent health for the past 3 years, his health issues are behind him.
Gasol would be worth going after before Jordan and I don't think Memphis can afford to match our offer if there is a hard cap pending.
My first choice would be a true PF, 6'10" plus, who could play at center if needed. I'm so sick of small ball that I don't even want a PF with any similarities to a SF. Since no one that fits that description is available, then I'd be happy to go after a good center. You wouldn't have to play him with Roy more then 15 minutes per game and I think too much is made out starting 2 centers together, it can work and give us an advantage.

Ozwalt72
06-15-2011, 12:28 AM
I didn't say he would score off of a move, I said he would finish. In other words, if he gets to/around the rim, a stretch four is likely going to get the ball tattooed on his head, as opposed to being able to prevent the dunk or layup attempt.

I know Troy Murphy is a stretch 4, but a stretch 4 is not Troy Murphy. :D

Pacer Fan
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
The Knicks have some cap room and it was reported early in the year they would make a play for him.

The Knicks are 67mil for current year and 60mil this coming year. They are over 8 mil, then 1.5 mil respectively. No cap space to get Jordan out right.

eldubious
06-16-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't understand how teams fall in love with players after the fact. The Pacers could have easily drafted Jordan in the second round of 2009, but from what we know he wasn't even on their list. The Pacers were more enamored with Sam Young in the second round rather than taking Jordan's upside.

BornReady
06-17-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't understand how teams fall in love with players after the fact. The Pacers could have easily drafted Jordan in the second round of 2009, but from what we know he wasn't even on their list. The Pacers were more enamored with Sam Young in the second round rather than taking Jordan's upside.

as they say, hindsight is 20/20. It is easy to misjudge somebody's talent, particularly if you don't know too much about them. Their talent most likely becomes apparent as they develop. Its kind of like...looking back, would you pick a player like Monta Ellis or Manu Ginobili in the 2nd round, or would you pick them a lot earlier?