PDA

View Full Version : Robert Horry's daughter has passed away

Basketball Fan
06-14-2011, 02:14 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-06-14/robert-horrys-17-year-old-daughter-passes-away-from-rare-disease

Ashlyn Horry, the 17-year-old daughter of former NBA player Robert Horry, died today from “severe respiratory issues and a host of other complications requiring a six month stay in Texas Childrens Hospital’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit,” according to a report posted on Black Sports Online.

Ashlyn underwent numerous tests and multiple surgeries, according to the report, and nearly died on several other occasions. She was diagnosed with a chromosome abnormality so rare it did not even have name.

Robert Horry played for 15 seasons in the NBA on four different teams -- he Rockets, Suns, Lakers and Spurs. He was on seven championship teams -- two in Houston, three in L.A. and two in San Antonio

IndySDExport
06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
How Awful. My thoughts and prayers are with the Horry family.

Kid Minneapolis
06-14-2011, 02:21 PM
:( Horrible news...

Trader Joe
06-14-2011, 02:24 PM
Extremely sad, but I have a question, why was she in a neo-natal ICU when she was 17 years old?

TMJ31
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
As much as I despised Horry on the court, as a new dad I cannot even begin to imagine the heartbreak he must be going through right now...

My condolences to Robert and his family. They will be in my prayers and thoughts.

Shade
06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Very sad to hear this. No parent should ever have to go through the loss of their child.

RIP Ashlyn

90'sNBARocked
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I wish Horry would take this to LeFoul James and show him that life is not all about YOU, and it can be come unbearable in a second

Robert, God bless , I dont even know what to say except she is better off now

90'sNBARocked
06-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Extremely sad, but I have a question, why was she in a neo-natal ICU when she was 17 years old?

must be an error

neo-natal is for babies I believe

JB24
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
My condolences to RH and his family. Can't imagine a worse feeling than out-living your own child.

Basketball Fan
06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah I didn't notice the NeoNatal thing until now that is odd.

DGPR
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm very sorry for the Horry family, that must be the worst thing to have to go through.

Bball
06-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Tragic. Sad news.

Peck
06-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I wish Horry would take this to LeFoul James and show him that life is not all about YOU, and it can be come unbearable in a second

Robert, God bless , I dont even know what to say except she is better off now

Not really the right time IMO to express this thought. I don't like LeBron either but I am certain that even he would understand that actual life is more important than what goes on in life.

I know you meant well and were coming from a good place, but this just isn't the time. :twocents:

90'sNBARocked
06-14-2011, 05:24 PM
Not really the right time IMO to express this thought. I don't like LeBron either but I am certain that even he would understand that actual life is more important than what goes on in life.

I know you meant well and were coming from a good place, but this just isn't the time. :twocents:

point taken, didnt look at it like that

naptownmenace
06-14-2011, 05:45 PM
So sad. She has been sick and fought the odds for several years.

I remember that the reason Horry left LA and signed with the Spurs was so he could be closer to Houston where his daughter was receiving medical care.

Basketball Fan
06-19-2011, 01:23 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/06/18/robert.horry.letter.to.ashlyn/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Ashlyn's Smile: Robert Horry's letter to his daughter

Posted Jun 18 2011 9:50PM

Dear Ashlyn,

Your beautiful smile has always been my inspiration. Although I am the father, you were my teacher, my hope and incentive, and my role model -- to your brother Camron and mother, Keva, as well.

Born with courage and determination, you confronted and overcame the challenges of 1p36 deletion syndrome, a rare and disabling genetic disorder. My admiration for you is only outdone by your dazzling smile, immortal in my heart.

I know you were constantly in pain, but you always endured with a smile. You were physically challenged, but it never prevented you from spreading warmth and love with pride and confidence.

I wanted you to join the play of the other children on holidays, but that was my hardship -- you enjoyed the laughter and seized every moment.

The appreciation of life, however brief it may be, was your gift to us, your loving family. And we will always remember that endearing smile, a smile that was contagious and admired by all.

Houston was your home, the place where you underwent care and treatment and offered the same with your striking and infectious smile. My NBA career was a challenge because it kept me away from home, but no matter where I played -- Los Angeles or San Antonio -- my heart always remained in Houston. And I couldn't wait to visit so I could hold you. Daddy-daughter time was precious; I treasured our moments together and held onto your irresistible smile, my inspiration.

My retirement finally enabled me to join you, and I witnessed the fighter spirit daily. The things we take for granted -- breathing, eating, walking -- were your obstacles. But you faced every challenge with courage and that charming smile that made everything better.

You only had seventeen short years, not nearly enough time for me, but when I get angry, I think of your smile and the cheer you shared with everyone around you.

On this day, Father's Day, your spirit is watching over me and making sure we are all safe and warm. I know you are smiling on life, love and family, and waiting for us to join you. There will come a time when we will again see that engaging smile that brought us so much joy each day of your life.

In your loving memory, we will persistently seek to increase awareness of 1p36 deletion syndrome through your foundation. We will bring hope to others around the world, to the children who suffer from the same genetic disorder, and to those parents and families who share the same desperation.

As the clock ticks, we will nudge medical science with your courage and determination and hope and pray that your eternal smile will offer the comfort that inspired me each day of your beautiful life.

I will always love you.

Love, Dad