PDA

View Full Version : A Letter to My Young Pacer Core:

PacerGuy
06-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Dear Young Pacer Core,

Did you watch the NBA Finals? - Did you watch the Post Game? - Did You Listen? - Did you learn?

Last night I watched & listened to Magic Johnson talk about how players need to get better by developing or improving on one skill every summer. (Are YOU?) I listen to Magic talk about the pain he felt for "losing the championship" for his Laker's in '84, & how he watched tape all summer identifying weaknesses & how he worked hard to improve himself for the next season. (Have YOU?) Then, I listened to John Berry talk about Kobe Bryant, who was already a star, wanting to be the best player he could be so he went out on his own to seek out Hakeem Olajuwon to learn how to be a better post player! (What would make YOU better, Who have YOU called?). Next I to listen to J.B. & Magic together both poke holes in LeBron James game & show where he had not worked on or developed certain areas, ie: a post game, that hurt him & his team. They criticized his willingness to listen to others & to accept being challenged. (What/ Who are YOU ignoring?) In summary their message was:
If YOU want to be Great, YOU must seek it, because Greatness will not find You.

Roy:
Last week I heard you on 1070 mention Alanzo Morning & Dikembe Mutombo as fellow Hoya C's that you might like to see as assistant coaches. (Have YOU called them? Have YOU sought them out?) You have 3 of the great big's as fellow Hoya's in Alanzo, Dikembe, & Patrick, but I have never heard you mention any connection to them in the off-season. Why?
If YOU want to be Great, YOU must seek it, because Greatness will not find You!

Paul:
I am glad to see you working w/ Danny & I hope he is helping you with your jumper, but what else do you want to improve? (Who have YOU sought out?) The summer is your time to improve & get better, the season is the time to show it. As a rookie you played well, but there is so much more you need to learn, so many areas you need to grow (What have YOU been challenged with?). By your supporters you have been compared to T-Mac, but T-Mac never was not known to put in the extra work needed to be great, and while he was an All-Star & made lots of money, he was never a winner. (How hard are YOU willing to work? How do YOU want to be remembered?)

DC/ Tyler/ Lance & more:
If the "Best player in the League" can fall so easily because of a lack of personal growth & a lack of teamwork, then anyone can. Teamwork is so important it will ultimately defeat talent. Last year there were issues in the locker room, something winners do not have. (What are YOU committed to do to become the best teammate YOU can be?)

Guys, this last year you brought "Pacer Nation" much enjoyment and helped us discover our pride, but we have been burned in the past. We need YOU to want greatness as much as WE want it. If you can do that, YOU will have US all the way! I look forward to the 2011-2012 season (when ever it starts) to see YOUR answers reflected on the court & on the scoreboard.

Good luck - Now get to Work!!!
-PacerGuy

Kstat
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm sure they will all be very inspired by the pep talk...

pacer4ever
06-13-2011, 09:35 PM
:laugh:

Isaac
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Wait... so you want to be great, then you lick the salt, and then the lime?

presto123
06-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Yeah but that would spoil my summer vacation.

BornReady
06-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Wait... so you want to be great, then you lick the salt, and then the lime?

you forgot something VERY IMPORTANT in between the salt and lime :P

Kstat
06-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Isn't there supposed to be a coconut involved at some point?

Day-V
06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
At least his letter wasn't an open one.

Constellations
06-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Let's get drunk.

Kemo
06-14-2011, 03:33 AM
you forgot something VERY IMPORTANT in between the salt and lime :P

"put de lime in de coconut, drink 'em bot togeder,
put de lime in de coconut, I drink 'em bot' down." ??

lol

Indra
06-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the pep talk, Coach.

glazedham42
06-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Nice letter Kareem. :D

xIndyFan
06-14-2011, 07:57 AM
fwiw, paul george was on a segment of pacer's crate at the colt/pacers softball game. one of the questions he answered was what he was working on this summer. he gave four things he was working on.

1) mid-range shooting. especially in the mid-post. think that is the thing danny does when he posts. if it is, i am really glad to see paul working on it. starting to use his height advantage. shooting over those undersized 2's guarding him. being a better scorer.

2) ball handling. paul has a pretty good handle, but he is a little loose. good to see this. hope some of the time is working on his left hand.

3) better defender. wonder if it is mainly learning to stay on the ground? or post defense? he didn't say. but if he can get better at this, he will be awesome.

4) get stronger. lol, the welcome to the NBA. everybody needs to get bigger and stronger.