PDA

View Full Version : Increased draft trade activity?

pwee31
06-13-2011, 05:43 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2011/06/12/eurocamp-day-2/

TREVISO, Italy – NBA executives are increasingly predicting increased trade activity centered around the draft as the looming lockout puts teams on the clock to face the unusual prospect of needing to do an offseason of work within a short time.

“Trades could be explored more,” one front-office veteran said Sunday on the second day of Eurocamp about 20 miles north of Venice, the largest annual international scouting session in preparation of the draft. “Whether that happens or not remains to be seen. But, yeah, I definitely think the lockout could prompt people to make a lot of moves they might ordinarily wait on.”

The concern for teams in this case isn’t the length of the lockout that in all likelihood will begin July 1. The issue is the amount of time they will have once the work stoppage, if it happens, is settled. Or won’t have – if the labor dispute carries deep into the regular season, general managers will have much less time than usual, perhaps just a couple weeks, between the time the lockout is settled and the start of the renovated schedule. Having more of a preferred roster in place by the end of June, rather than the usual schedule of being able to make adjustments throughout the summer, will complete a lot of the work now.

“It could accelerate the process a bit,” one executive said of teams looking to make moves heading into the draft and the June 23 night itself.

Others agree. The premise is especially interesting in this of all years, with a draft so poorly regarded around the league that any picks being moved would be in a buyers’ market. Now, if teams genuinely are getting more aggressive in anticipation of a lockout, the mood changes.

There have already been a lot of calls directed at clubs late in the lottery, with one executive suggesting that, based on the needs of the suitors, shooting sensation Jimmer Fredette is a likely target. The possibility of a pick being moved goes all the way to No. 2, where the Timberwolves continue to have conversations but know the best offers probably won’t come until the final days before the draft.

Looks like teams may try to jump ahead of the Pacers for Fredette.

I personally see 3 teams being really active with trade talks, based off their draft selection, or upcoming free agency.

Utah Jazz: AK47 is a free agent. If they take a big, then Okur, Jefferson, Millsap, or Favors will likely be moved.. with Jefferson and Millsap being the most likely.

Minnesota Timberwolves: The Wolves have a lot of young players that can play the same position. Love, Beasley and Randolph can all play PF. Wes Johnson, Beasley and Randolph can all play SF, and then you have Rubio, Flynn and Ridnour at PG... something has to give... RIGHT?

Memphis Grizzlies- They don't have a 1st round draft pick, but they have a ton of wings coming off a nice playoff run. You would think they have to sign Gasol after the run they made without Rudy Gay. Wings include Gay, Mayo, Allen, Young, Battier, and Henry. You would think they look for depth up front somewhere.

Will Galen
06-13-2011, 06:14 PM
I read earlier today that Sac is interested in Jimmer, so now interested teams have to do better than 7th. That's Sac's pick.

If Bird's really high on Mayo he could offer Memphis the 15th pick.

pwee31
06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
I read earlier today that Sac is interested in Jimmer, so now interested teams have to do better than 7th. That's Sac's pick.

Jimmer had a good workout with the Kings, but it will all depend on what happens with the other PGs ahead of him. Irving and Knight will likely be gone, but if Kemba Walker is still on the board, then Jimmer falls to the late lottery to either the Jazz or Suns.

I think Mayo may have been a trade deadline opportunity only. It was rumored the Bulls offered more than the Pacers for Mayo, and they just didn't want to trade him there. After his playoff performances, I'm sure they'll be more suitors, and I'm sure Memphis will be more reluctant to give him up.

Cactus Jax
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
I have this odd feeling that Kemba Walker is going to fall in this draft a fair bit, not a ton but past Sacramento which was kind of where his safety net was, and a few other teams not looking for guards. I don't see him making it to 15 by any means but might be able to trade up to like 10 or so and get him.

pwee31
06-13-2011, 06:36 PM
I think Kemba lands at #5 to Raptors or #7 to the Kings. I hear his floor is MJ and the Bobcats at #9.

I am curious who Larry Bird's 4 players are though? My guess is Jimmer, Marshon...?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At6NDy_b7eSmKTaxWao0LYI5nYcB?slug=teamre ports-2011-nba-ind

Quote To Note: “One of four guys I like will get to us (at No. 15). They’re all different sizes. I think we can use some help in every area. We’re going to get a player that will help us.”—Pacers president Larry Bird

Sparhawk
06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I do not want OJ Mayo. Please, no. I'd rather take Brooks at 15.

If we do decide to trade the 15th, I hope we end up trading Rush for a pick around 20 and draft someone like Reggie Jackson. I wouldn't mind buying an early 2nd for Jeremy Tyler.

There's still value with guys like Trey Thompkins (whose stock keeps falling, he was originally slated mid 1st round), Keith Benson, Darius Morris and JaJuan Johnson who all could go from late 1st to 2nd.

BornReady
06-13-2011, 07:23 PM
at this point in time I would easily take Mayo over Brooks :/

Anthem
06-13-2011, 07:29 PM
That's not particularly high. In fact, I can't imagine that trade going through unless Memphis was really low on Mayo.

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
at this point in time I would easily take Mayo over Brooks :/
I would to but it depends on the cost. I would do the 15th and Rush but not much more than that. Remember he is a RFA in 2012/13.

CooperManning
06-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I think Kemba lands at #5 to Raptors or #7 to the Kings. I hear his floor is MJ and the Bobcats at #9.

I am curious who Larry Bird's 4 players are though? My guess is Jimmer, Marshon...?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=At6NDy_b7eSmKTaxWao0LYI5nYcB?slug=teamre ports-2011-nba-ind

Yeah I'd guess Jimmer, Marshon for sure, Tobias Harris maybe after what Clark and Denari said about him. 4th is hard to say, but if the "all different sizes" is any indication seems like it'd be a big.

Pacersalltheway10
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Yeah I'd guess Jimmer, Marshon for sure, Tobias Harris maybe after what Clark and Denari said about him. 4th is hard to say, but if the "all different sizes" is any indication seems like it'd be a big.

Biyombo?

pwee31
06-13-2011, 08:35 PM

Yeah those might be the 3 plus one. I thought I read Jimmer, Marshon, Tristan Thompson and Faired somewhere, but the latter 2 haven't even been in for a workout?

Perhaps one could be a Euro big in Biyombo or Montiejunas?

I like to keep my eye on Chad Ford's mock draft as draft day gets closer, b/c he's usually pretty close in his projections, at least where you can see who'll be around our pick.

I expect Brooks to be there. I think Jimmer will be gone. We'll see who else we have in for workouts

graphic-er
06-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Seeing what JJ Barea did in the playoffs, Kemba Walker ought to pan out to a pretty safe pick for a back up Guard. He has the speed and shot making ability that Barea has for sure. Its amazing that a player is who 5'10" on a good day could be such a factor in winning a championship. I really hope that Jimmer is there for the Pacers though.

Young
06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Trades are very tough to make and will be especially in this draft where most teams would like to trade out of it due to the lack of quality prospects. It's a below average draft.

That is why I look for the Pacers to keep the pick. So many teams are going to be looking to trade out of it that it will be hard for the Pacers to get good value in return for the 15th pick. I think what is more likely to happen is the Pacers acquire an additional first round pick. Wasn't the pick used on Rajon Rondo obtained for cash? I think if they want they can get an additional first round pick for next to nothing.

CableKC
06-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Jimmer had a good workout with the Kings, but it will all depend on what happens with the other PGs ahead of him. Irving and Knight will likely be gone, but if Kemba Walker is still on the board, then Jimmer falls to the late lottery to either the Jazz or Suns.

I think Mayo may have been a trade deadline opportunity only. It was rumored the Bulls offered more than the Pacers for Mayo, and they just didn't want to trade him there. After his playoff performances, I'm sure they'll be more suitors, and I'm sure Memphis will be more reluctant to give him up.
That was one of the rumored reasons for the Grizzlies not dealing with Chicago, but another likely reason was because they needed more depth in the front court for the Playoffs...hence the interest in McBob. From what I was reading, the Bulls were offering Wing Players on top of multiple 1sts.

I still venture to guess that the Pacers ability to absorb Mayo's contract without sending anybody back would benefit them when it comes to the Grizzlies dealing him.