PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard will become a Free Agent in 2012

A.B.Hollywood
06-13-2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/13/dwight-howard-free-agency-future/index.html?ls=iref%3Anbahpt2

Start the "How can we make him a Pacer" stuff now...

And to be clear, we can't. But have at it anyways.

graphic-er
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Please send him out West, improves the Pacers chances to moving up next year in the playoff seeding.
Trade him to Portland for Alridge, and Batum.

Wage
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
If another free agent feeding frenzy like the LeBron, Wade, Bosh sweepstakes is on the horizon, it makes our cap space that much more valuable (assuming no radical CBA changes). It also makes it imperative we do not waste our money signing someone like Nene, Chandler, or Crawford this off season.

Eleazar
06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Imagine if it was possible to add Howard and Gordon.

itzryan07
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
idc if we aren't even close to getting him, save the money we have and try. U never know what could happen. And if this season is better than last years than even better. Since he is going to be a FA and the Magic front office said they have no interest in trading him then its not like he can go to LA for sure. The only way he goes there is by trade.

pwee31
06-13-2011, 03:28 PM
It'll be a Carmelo situation where the Magic will keep trying to convince Howard to sign the extension until they realize he's bolting and then they'll try to get back the best deal possible while hoping to unload another bad contract in the process.

Unless the CBA somehow works a franchise tag into the mix, I think both Chris Paul and Dwight Howard will be playing for new teams.

And no the Pacers don't have a chance. They don't have a billionaire Russian owner to go with the move to New York and minority owner that's a hip hop mogul.

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
If another free agent feeding frenzy like the LeBron, Wade, Bosh sweepstakes is on the horizon, it makes our cap space that much more valuable (assuming no radical CBA changes). It also makes it imperative we do not waste our money signing someone like Nene, Chandler, or Crawford this off season.
Here is my prediction. IF the new CBA is like the one we have now then there will be a sign and trade so the Magic won't lose out on their number one asset and Howard can get paid the most he can ala Melo. (great minds think alike, Pwee31)

Certainly the Magic will want to get big assets in return to which we won't be able to compete with and in the end our salary cap situation won't matter much.

"IF" he goes somewhere I think it would be to the Lakers or to a top tier contender and the Pacers are on the outside looking in.

Sandman21
06-13-2011, 03:31 PM
If a hard cap gets put into a play in the CBA negotiations, all bets are off. We absolutely should take a shot at it if he goes into FA.

Wage
06-13-2011, 03:36 PM
"IF" he goes somewhere I think it would be to the Lakers or to a top tier contender and the Pacers are on the outside looking in.

Even if the Pacers wouldn't be a realistic destintation, having cap space allows us to become great facilitators for teams that do think they have a shot. During the last big free agency period teams like New York, Chicago, and Miami were paying people to take assets off their hands.

graphic-er
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Do you think Dwight Howard is looking for the most money. I don't think he gives a damn about the money, sure he wants a fair market rate, but he wants a team that can contend.

croz24
06-13-2011, 03:42 PM
we most definitely have a chance if it comes down to cap space and the ability to put pieces around howard. indiana may be a financial small market, but it is a huge market in terms of passion and love for the game. it is imperative we do not go on a spending spree this offseason and save it for the 2012 class.

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 03:43 PM
If a hard cap gets put into a play in the CBA negotiations, all bets are off. We absolutely should take a shot at it if he goes into FA.
IF there is a hard cap then there has to be a transition period to implement it. He could easily sign during that period of time (2-3 years) for the max in a sign and trade to a team well over the cap as long as that "team" has the assets the Magic want. All bets are off at this point. (I wrote that before I saw your post sandman, freaky)

Sandman21
06-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Plus if he were to come here, this would soon be HIS town with Manning in the twilight of his career.

Really?
06-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I think "and to be clear we can't" part summed it all up... seriously...

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 03:48 PM
Even if the Pacers wouldn't be a realistic destintation, having cap space allows us to become great facilitators for teams that do think they have a shot. During the last big free agency period teams like New York, Chicago, and Miami were paying people to take assets off their hands.
True but that means most of "those" teams don't have many assets to take off their hands anymore. Realistically were talking about Beasely, Hinrich types which are good but not something that we couldn't get with our capspace in the FA market.

ChristianDudley
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't think Dwight is all about the money like a lot of the top players out there are...I truly think he just flat out wants to be on a winning team that plays TEAM basketball--none of this "I want my 33 shots a game, jacking up horrible shots each possession" stuff like Carter has done in the past back when he was with the Magic, or what Arenas does, and some of his other teammates do. Dwight's not a selfish player and he's probably the best superstar out there in terms of carrying himself off the court--he's not the "money mind" like LeBron who gives the finger to the rest of the world every time he has a chance. Dwight does talk to the refs a bunch, but most of it he is actually in the right as for some reason, he doesn't get calls like Kobe/LeBron/Rose/Wade/etc do--the refs just let Dwight get tackled time after time now.

I would LOVE for Dwight to be a Pacer, but I'm not going to put all my hopes and dreams on it as it probably won't happen in my opinion. The Pacers may give them their sales pitch when he becomes a free-agent, and they rightfully should if they have the money to spend on him at that point in time, but I'm not expecting Dwight to put on a Pacers uniform anytime soon. I just hope he doesn't become a Laker. I think he'd be great for the Heat, though, if they got rid of Bosh and then maybe even get rid of Wade. Just seeing LeBron and Dwight on the same team, plus a few good 3-point shooters like the Heat have in James Jones, Mike Miller, and others, that team would kill I personally think. I don't really want Dwight to play with LeBron, though, as I think DH's attitude might head south. I wish DH the best as he truly is one of the good guys in this league that you just can't help but to root for.

graphic-er
06-13-2011, 04:01 PM
we most definitely have a chance if it comes down to cap space and the ability to put pieces around howard. indiana may be a financial small market, but it is a huge market in terms of passion and love for the game. it is imperative we do not go on a spending spree this offseason and save it for the 2012 class.

Passion and Love for the game? Maybe college but not the pros.
What metropolitan area have you lived in over the past 5 years? The Indianapolis area overall does not care about the Pacers anymore. This fanbase is the ultimate front runner type. Heck last year they actually had some trouble selling out a Colts playoff game against the jets because the Colts weren't actually considered the favorite to win the superbowl anymore. I thought that the city had become a football town but last years playoff game really exposed this city. They have become so spoiled for having contenders for so many years in both football and basketball, anything less just isn't impressive.

pacer4ever
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
They should trade him for LBJ asap

Tom White
06-13-2011, 04:19 PM
They don't have a billionaire Russian owner to go with the move to New York and minority owner that's a hip hop mogul.

That really helped New Jersey a lot this year, huh? Remind me just how many stars they landed?

Trophy
06-13-2011, 04:20 PM
They should trade him for LBJ asap

That actually would balance out Miami's chemistry.

Wade and Howard together would make a nice duo like when Wade played with Shaq. I think they can win a few championships together.

Realistically, that's not happening though. At least not at this point. We'll see next year.

pwee31
06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
That really helped New Jersey a lot this year, huh? Remind me just how many stars they landed?

They traded for Deron Williams, and if they get help around him, he's likely to stay in New Jersey/Brooklyn.

And I'm pretty sure players will be more willing to go play with Deron Williams in New York, than Danny Granger in Indiana.

And I like Danny Granger, and love my Indiana Pacers

Wage
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
True but that means most of "those" teams don't have many assets to take off their hands anymore. Realistically were talking about Beasely, Hinrich types which are good but not something that we couldn't get with our capspace in the FA market.

I guess it really depends on who "those" teams would be for Howard. Either way, getting a player like Beasley for free, or a first round pick to take Hinrich beats the hell outta signing a guy like Nene to a huge contract.

PR07
06-13-2011, 04:35 PM
The best chance we'd have is to trade for him midseason, and hope that with him, we could make a strong enough impression as a contender to convince him to stay.

Of course, any deal would probably center around Hibbert and one or two of our other core players, and if the Lakers get involved, they might be able to trump anything we have if Bynum gets dangled.

righteouscool
06-13-2011, 04:36 PM

Like Barkley said during the Bulls series, the Pacers team as currently constructed would be a contender with a superstar level talent. Imagine a defensive line up with George-Granger-Howard-Hibbert. That is a ton of length and defensive ability on the perimeter/lane. Not to mention the inside-out game with Granger George and Hibbert Howard.

Oh man, Howard would be a dream come true with this current team. . .

mattie
06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
The Pacers have absolutely no chance of trading for Howard. That's just beyond the "accepted limitations" (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6648606/absurdity-nba-half-court-rule) as Klosterman would say. The problem is we have so few assets and so many other teams have so much more to offer.

As I've said, the best chance for Indiana to obtain Howard, is to keep all their cap space, win close to 50 games with a much more developed Paul George, and consistent Roy and DC play every night. That would make us an attractive spot, because howard would get a nice max contract to play on a team that one 50 games without him. He'd be playing with Roy who he always speaks very highly of, as well as up and comer George with the established shooting of DG.

It is an attractive destination. I doubt he does it, as many others have stated, but if he hasn't been traded to the lakers prior to his free agency, I strongly believe Indiana would be one of the top destinations so long as our team had improved with our current crop of talent and we kept our cap space.

PR07
06-13-2011, 04:45 PM
The Pacers have absolutely no chance of trading for Howard. That's just beyond the "accepted limitations" (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6648606/absurdity-nba-half-court-rule) as Klosterman would say. The problem is we have so few assets and so many other teams have so much more to offer.

So few assets? We have one of the better young centers in the NBA, an all-star caliber swingman, and a guy in PG that would probably be a Top 7 pick in this draft....not to mention a fairly good young PG.

You could make the case that we probably wouldn't be willing to give this group up to gut our roster for Howard, but I don't believe for a second that we don't have the assets.

Who are these mystery teams that would offer so much more? The Lakers with Bynum? Ok, name me a few more.

mattie
06-13-2011, 04:49 PM
So few assets? We have one of the better young centers in the NBA, an all-star caliber swingman, and a guy in PG that would probably be a Top 7 pick in this draft....not to mention a fairly good young PG.

You could make the case that we probably wouldn't be willing to give this group up to gut our roster for Howard, but I don't believe for a second that we don't have the assets.

Who are these mystery teams that would offer so much more? The Lakers with Bynum? Ok, name me a few more.

The problem is two fold:

First, Bynum and Pau Gasol are better than any possible combination of players that we could offer for Howard.

Secondly, if we did give up players, than we would also be giving up any possibility of resigning Howard. He's not going from one small market to another just to lose.

I was merely pointing out what could possibly attract Howard to signing with us. The scenario in which he would sign us would be if he had not been traded and reached free agency in 2012. Again, the Pacers would have to grow up into a 48-52 win team that could attract him into thinking it would be a championship team with his addition.

No way would Howard resign with the Pacers after giving up the little talent we do have.

Shade
06-13-2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/13/dwight-howard-free-agency-future/index.html?ls=iref%3Anbahpt2

Start the "How can we make him a Pacer" stuff now...

And to be clear, we can't. But have at it anyways.

Sure we can, if he wants to come here. We have the money.

Shade
06-13-2011, 05:00 PM

That's been my pipe dream for a while now. I honestly don't think there are any two players I want to add to this roster more. :drool:

Shade
06-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Do you think Dwight Howard is looking for the most money. I don't think he gives a damn about the money, sure he wants a fair market rate, but he wants a team that can contend.

Maybe we can convince him to come here if we beat Orlando in the playoffs. ;)

owl
06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I think "and to be clear we can't" part summed it all up... seriously...

Heck,why even get out of the bed in the morning. Just give up.

Pacersalltheway10
06-13-2011, 05:04 PM
If we could get a commitment from Eric Gordon and the clips won't waste their time if he is really set on coming home, I think we have a good shot at Howard if we save up our cap space.

DC
Gordon
Granger and George
Howard
Hibbert

The key to getting Howard is Eric Gordon IMO

Or trade Granger for Howard in sign and trade and use extra cap space to fill out the roster better.

Pacersalltheway10
06-13-2011, 05:13 PM
If we just let everyone expire the next 2 years we would have 40 million in cap space. Max contract for Gordon would be like 14 million , 16 million I think for Howard. Leaves 10 million to fill 5 roster spots, If the next cba doesnt change max contracts much.

mattie
06-13-2011, 05:16 PM
This is my full scenario that leads to Howard signing with the Pacers:

First Orlando as a team has a better season. With a little bit of urgency coming into Howard's last year, Orlando replaces Boston as the 3rd best team in the East and they win 55 games. With Howard once again having a dominant season, the front office as well as Howard are a little more confident going into the post season.

Leading up to the trade deadline, with the season going so well, Orlando opts not to trade Howard.

Against Boston, Howard's teammates once again blow and he loses in the first round. Howard is not happy.

Howard is not resigning with Orlando.

As a 5th seed, Indiana over achieves with a 48-34 record, and loses a close series to the Knicks in a 7 games series. Indiana is seen as an up and comer.

Paul George establishes himself as the starting two guard averaging 14-15ppg and showing he could be a future star.

Roy Hibbert has his first consistent season, playing strong D, and above average offensive play.

After, weeks and weeks of absurd media attention, Howard is shown at a press conference with Larry signing the largest contract in the NBA.

CFH sells out immediately.

I cry.

LBJ and Wade cry.

OKC cries.

Indianapolis celebrates.

End of story.

pwee31
06-13-2011, 05:22 PM

First Orlando as a team has a better season. With a little bit of urgency coming into Howard's last year, Orlando replaces Boston as the 3rd best team in the East and they win 55 games. With Howard once again having a dominant season, the front office as well as Howard are a little more confident going into the post season.

Leading up to the trade deadline, with the season going so well, Orlando opts not to trade Howard.

Against Boston, Howard's teammates once again blow and he loses in the first round. Howard is not happy.

As a 5th seed, Indiana over achieves with a 48-34 record, and loses a close series to the Knicks in a 7 games series. Indiana is seen as an up and comer.

Paul George establishes himself as the starting two guard averaging 14-15ppg and showing he could be a future star.

Roy Hibbert has his first consistent season, playing strong D, and above average offensive play.

After, weeks and weeks of absurd media attention, Howard is shown at a press conference with Larry signing the largest contract in the NBA.

I cry.

LBJ and Wade cry.

OKC cries.

Indianapolis celebrates.

End of story.

Where's the part where your alarm clock goes off?

Peck
06-13-2011, 05:37 PM
I know this won't be popular with some of you seeing as how he is now the focal point for almost all of our ills but I'll say it anyway.

Thank God for Danny Granger.

He signed with us and did not make us go through any form of free agency when his value was at an all time high & he knew the team would struggle.

He even signed a contract that was either right at or maybe even below market value of a player of his caliber.

He has his faults but I'm still proud to say that Danny Granger is a Pacer and that he has been loyal to our club even though his tenure here has not been marked with success.

Let's hope we are both rewarded.

As to Howard? My only hope is that he does not end up on the Lakers. I am sick to death of the Lakers getting every big man in the NBA to come to their team. I honestly would rather him go to Miami and win with the other big three than to have to have another 10 year Laker dynasty.

Heisenberg
06-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Well, couldn't hurt to offer him a max deal if we still have the money. He ain't gonna sign it but it at least lets people know we're serious I guess.

mattie
06-13-2011, 06:19 PM
We should research the following: How many times superstars have switched teams via free agency. How many times there have been small market teams with cap space. And how many teams those teams had talent to go with that cap space as well.

I bet that would tell us if Indiana is a true player.

Heisenberg
06-13-2011, 06:23 PM
We should research the following: How many times superstars have switched teams via free agency. How many times there have been small market teams with cap space. And how many teams those teams had talent to go with that cap space as well.

I bet that would tell us if Indiana is a true player.We're not. I don't subscribe as strongly to the "players won't come here" idea as much as most. But Dwight Howard isn't signing here.

mattie
06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
We're not. I don't subscribe as strongly to the "players won't come here" idea as much as most. But Dwight Howard isn't signing here.

Based on what? I'd completely buy into that as well, but the only reasoning I've ever got is, "NBA players need big markets."

I just don't see any evidence that argues either way why players in general would desire huge markets. Shaq, 'Melo yes. But who else?

I could see a preference, but if every other circumstance makes a smaller market more attractive, I cannot see a player like Howard going to a bigger market, just for the simple reason that it is bigger.

Again, considering the plausible yet uncertain circumstance came to be: Pacers win almost 50 games with a ton of cap space to boot, why wouldn't Howard sign here, unless there was a better offer somewhere else?

Trophy
06-13-2011, 06:33 PM
We have a better chance of landing Eric Gordon who would actually like to come here from a large market.

Getting Dwight Howard isn't happening and pretty much the majority of the league and conclude they won't be getting him either. It'll probably be the Lakers and the Magic will make a trade. Both sides get good value.

Brad8888
06-13-2011, 06:37 PM
Maybe we can convince him to come here if we beat Orlando in the playoffs. ;)

:laugh:

Always a surefire way to get a dominant center to join your team...I really enjoyed when Shaq came and played for the Pacers after we beat Orlando...he was a real beast for us...

PR07
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
The problem is two fold:

First, Bynum and Pau Gasol are better than any possible combination of players that we could offer for Howard.

Secondly, if we did give up players, than we would also be giving up any possibility of resigning Howard. He's not going from one small market to another just to lose.

I was merely pointing out what could possibly attract Howard to signing with us. The scenario in which he would sign us would be if he had not been traded and reached free agency in 2012. Again, the Pacers would have to grow up into a 48-52 win team that could attract him into thinking it would be a championship team with his addition.

No way would Howard resign with the Pacers after giving up the little talent we do have.

Lakers wouldn't offer both Gasol and Bynum, Orlando doesn't have that much leverage if Dwight is going to leave.

Dwight wouldn't sign here as a free agent.

mattie
06-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I hate conventional wisdom. Someone has said "Dwight won't sign here" probably 300 times in 2 months. I literally haven't seen a single reason why. No one can come up with any reasons why. Only, "he won't."

Ok.

PR07
06-13-2011, 07:06 PM
I hate conventional wisdom. Someone has said "Dwight won't sign here" probably 300 times in 2 months. I literally haven't seen a single reason why. No one can come up with any reasons why. Only, "he won't."

Ok.

Why would he?

A) There will be other teams with money with more stars or that are simply better.

B)There will be other teams with more attractive weather and city-life.

C) When has Indiana ever landed a big time free agent in the NBA?

mattie
06-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Why would he?

A) There will be other teams with money with more stars or that are simply better.

B)There will be other teams with more attractive weather and city-life.

C) When has Indiana ever landed a big time free agent in the NBA?

A. what teams have more money and more stars???
B. Orlando has great weather. He wants to leave. Sounds like he cares about winning more than weather.
C. Indiana has NEVER had the cap space to chase a big time free agent when they were available. It's unprecedented. I think stars won't mind since Indianapolis currently has the best offensive player in the NFL and the best defensive player in the NFL.

Pacersalltheway10
06-13-2011, 07:12 PM

Ok.

I think It's a possibly at least that he could sign here but here are a few reasons why people might think that.

1: Pacers aren't currently contending: but that could change in the next 2 years

2: It's a small market team: but if the next CBA has a hard cap and revenue sharing that will not matter much.

3: he's a superstar and if there is a choice between teaming up Kobe or Deron and Granger, he'd take Kobe and deron: people assume that all superstars have the same personality. Nobody knows what teams Dwight wants to go to. Maybe he wants to be the man on an up and coming team instead of a groupie ring chaser. One thing is for sure: Dwight doesnt have the same personality of Lebron James.

Trader Joe
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I'll be shocked if he ever makes it to free agency. We should be making sure we have our noses in the middle of all the scuttle butt surrounding him and maybe we'll get lucky.

PR07
06-13-2011, 08:12 PM
A. what teams have more money and more stars???
B. Orlando has great weather. He wants to leave. Sounds like he cares about winning more than weather.
C. Indiana has NEVER had the cap space to chase a big time free agent when they were available. It's unprecedented. I think stars won't mind since Indianapolis currently has the best offensive player in the NFL and the best defensive player in the NFL.

A. The Knicks and the Nets could/will.

B. If he's going to trade in the weather, it would have to be a sure fire contender. You really see the Pacers as that in just a year? Is he really going to trade all that in just to play with Danny Granger?

C. Comparing the NFL to the NBA is apples to oranges, and both WERE DRAFTED by the Colts anyways, so that point makes no sense.

Pacersalltheway10
06-13-2011, 08:17 PM

B. If he's going to trade in the weather, it would have to be a sure fire contender. You really see the Pacers as that in just a year? Is he really going to trade all that in just to play with Danny Granger?

C. Comparing the NFL to the NBA is apples to oranges, and both WERE DRAFTED by the Colts anyways, so that point makes no sense.

But Peyton and Freeney have had chances to leave Indy.

Pacer Fan
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM

for my understanding, The Colts have or would have Franchise tag Peyton and Freeney. They don't have a choice.

righteouscool
06-13-2011, 08:43 PM
^ doesn't matter, you can only franchise tag one year. The colts are a well run football team that has been in super bowl contention for the last ten years. that's why neither of them has really considered leaving. they also get a ton of money in endorsements anyways. well, peyton does at least.

mattie
06-13-2011, 08:52 PM
they also get a ton of money in endorsements anyways. well, peyton does at least.

No they don't. You have to play in LA or New York to get endorsements and advertisements. True story. Ask NBA.com. Or another good source is ESPN.com/NBA

Sandman21
06-13-2011, 08:53 PM
NBA.com forgot the green type. :D

PR07
06-13-2011, 09:00 PM
^ doesn't matter, you can only franchise tag one year. The colts are a well run football team that has been in super bowl contention for the last ten years. that's why neither of them has really considered leaving. they also get a ton of money in endorsements anyways. well, peyton does at least.

Actually, you can franchise tag as many times as you want. It just gets more and more expensive every time.

However, I would consider the rest to be true. Not to have a Pacers vs. Colts war, but comparing the Colts and Pacers' success the past decade is night and day, the Colts have been a consistent Super Bowl contender every year. There's a reason Peyton and Dwight didn't want to leave and that because:

1) The Franchise Tag
2) No other better contenders
3) They were drafted as Colts and probably wanted to retire as Colts, wearing one jersey.

righteouscool
06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Actually, you can franchise tag as many times as you want. It just gets more and more expensive every time.

However, I would consider the rest to be true. Not to have a Pacers vs. Colts war, but comparing the Colts and Pacers' success the past decade is night and day, the Colts have been a consistent Super Bowl contender every year. There's a reason Peyton and Dwight didn't want to leave and that because:

1) The Franchise Tag
2) No other better contenders
3) They were drafted as Colts and probably wanted to retire as Colts, wearing one jersey.

Interesting, I guess I just assumed that because I don't think I've ever seen someone get franchised multiple years.

graphic-er
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
I'd also come down on the side of slim to no chance DH would choose to sign in Indiana even if we were a 50 win team and the 5th seed next year. But I can't help but notice the low self esteem we place on our city. We are the lowly Indiana Pacers surrounded by nothing but cornfields, why would any big name superstar want to sign with us. Maybe there is some truth to it all, but one thing for sure is that no big name player has actually left the Pacers. We have always traded them away. So when ever a player has had a chance to re-up their contract and stay in Indiana they have chosen to do so.
I think that says alot about our city and franchise. Reggie chose not to become a knick. JO signed a max deal with us. Rik Smits signed with us, when he probably could have had his choice of teams to play for being a gifted 7-4 center. Stephen Jackson was saying that he wanted to retire a Pacer the year we traded for him, and of course Danny Granger signed his extension with us.

Indianapolis is the NBA city where you can walk around openly and not be hassled by the Media or fans.

I'm not even sure I buy the idea of we would have to over pay somebody to come here, when was the last time a big name free agent took so much less money to play in the big market that people thought, man that team really got a good deal on him!

Young
06-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I really doubt Dwight signs with Indiana.

There are some pretty good players here but my guess is he will try to go somewhere there is another star. Maybe Dwight and Chris Paul sign with the same team or he goes to the Nets to play with Deron Williams. Maybe he goes to the Celtics. KG and Ray Allen will be free agents in 2012 too (according to hoopshype) and will not demand the big money they do now.

There is plenty to be excited about as Pacer fans. This team just doesn't have enough to excite the very best players in the world and there is no shame in that. Indianapolis just isn't a city for celebrities. It might sound nice to us to not have the media everywhere but maybe the players enjoy the attention.

Dwight Howard would be great to have but I really don't think there is a good chance he signs with Indiana.

15th parallel
06-13-2011, 11:32 PM
In terms of chances, we really do have a chance. But for the Pacers to be an attractive team for Howard, the team should be an East contender in the coming season, barring lockout. That means getting into the playoffs at least in top 5 or 6, and getting at least as far as the 2nd round with a good showing.

The Pacers must show Howard that he has help here, and that he's the only missing piece to get the championship. While many teams will try to trade for him, Orlando will have a hard time trading him because he's a franchise player at center (which is currently a rarity), and that he's a high-risk trade on other teams in terms of how willing is he to stay for other teams should they trade for him (a scenario like Melo).

Haywoode Workman
06-13-2011, 11:45 PM

I cry.

LBJ and Wade cry.

OKC cries.

Indianapolis celebrates.

End of story.

Nicholas Sparks couldn't write a better love story than this.

mattie
06-14-2011, 12:18 AM

The Nets definitely have Cap space and Deron Williams, so I think you're right in saying they have a great opportunity. But not the only one. (By the way, there is no way the Knicks could get Dwight unless he took a serious pay cut. Unlikely)

For instance, next season the Nets will still be a **** poor team. So I still don't think they would be the most attractive destination for the simple reason that Howard will not want to play on a team that is not very good. He's not stupid, and knows it takes a team to win a championship.

If Indiana was close to 50 wins, and both Paul George and Big Roy showed marked improvement? Yes I believe he'd find this an attractive situation. Again he's not stupid.

Most players know that if they want to be in a great party atmosphere all they have to do is live there in the offseason. Like Reggie Miller. Or some of the big time Colts who spend their offseason's else where.

I'm not saying Indianapolis is destination numero uno. But I think it's ridiculous to write them off if they have a ton of cap space, and a real good team for Dwight to play with. '

There are a lot of ifs involved in attracting howard. But none of them are out of the realm of possibilities. All of them are realistic although not likely.

I cannot believe for one second that Dwight Howard would honestly look at Indianapolis and say, "oh I couldn't live there," Considering how our next season goes, He could give us a seriously hard look, and I promise you I wouldn't even be remotely surprised if he signed with the Pacers.

It's fair to say it's unlikely. There are so many things that have to happen for him to not sign with Orlando, to not already be traded, and for the Pacers to be an attractive destination. It would be a waste of time to hope he would come here only to be disappointed. No matter what the likely hood, I cannot possibly see how someone would argue, "well he's just not coming here." As if they know what he wants, or if they have the assumption that Indianapolis is the blackhole of the United States.

Eleazar
06-14-2011, 12:51 AM

I cry.

LBJ and Wade cry.

OKC cries.

Indianapolis celebrates.

End of story.

I just want to make one edit. If the Pacers and Knicks meet next season in he playoffs the Knicks are not going to win. In fact the Knicks would be lucky to win more than 1 game.

And just about every other major free agent the Colts have had. The only reason a player does not re-sign with the Colts is because the Colts don't want to re-sign them, not because the player wants to leave. There are two reasons for this. The Colts are a constant title contender because of Irsay, Polian, and Manning, and the Colts are a well run organization. Most players go out of their way to praise the Colts when they leave. 90% of players care more about winning than making a few extra bucks, especially superstars who are already guaranteed to make $12+ million a year before endorsements.

From my observations there is only one difference between the Pacers and Colts right now, and that is the winning. Just about every player that comes through here loves it here, and has nothing but praise.Not only is Indy just a good place to play as far as local fans and media goes, we also have to extremely well run organizations. That plays into our advantage.

Pacersalltheway10
06-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Danny Granger, DC, PG24, and Roy Hibbert is a more attractive team to play with than just Deron Williams and Spare parts IMO

itzryan07
06-14-2011, 01:34 AM
the big market stuff is overrated. Howard would still have the same endorsements if he went here. U guys talk like him coming here he wouldn't have none. Winning takes care of everything.

Bball
06-14-2011, 04:41 AM
I think this endorsement stuff with big markets vs small markets would be more important to bit players than it would to stars. The 6th man might have some chances to be a spokesman for Bob's Used Car Super Lot in NYC whereas in a small market you're probably going to have to be a starter for that opportunity. Good teams play on a national stage and the star players have national exposure. IMHO this big market endorsement stuff is overrated as an argument as to why a FA star wouldn't consider Indiana.

Indiana historically has not been a big name FA destination because Indiana wasn't interested in being a big name FA destination.

If Dwight Howard is a FA in 2012 and we have a solid team that looks like he could slot in and help, and if we offer him comparable money as other teams are offering.... we'll be just as likely to get him as any other team.

He will be looking at a balance of money and whatever team he feels he can fit into and have the best shot of winning. Period. ...IMHO...

But as someone else said, it's most likely that if he really is going to leave Orlando that they ultimately will look to sign and trade so they don't lose him for nothing. ...regardless of what they might say or imply to begin with...

Kemo
06-14-2011, 06:11 AM
In terms of chances, we really do have a chance.

http://www.monologuedb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/jim-carrey-lloyd-christmas-dumb-and-dumber-150x150.gif
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRx9HJ6cAs8TQdf9rSHk7rPL95FT0JEH O0XBnx_m0hhyXrRD8aeSg&t=1

glazedham42
06-14-2011, 07:51 AM
^ HAHAHAHA. Exactly what I was thinking. If Dwight came here I would cry tears of joy. It's possible if all the cards fall in the right place, but I see it as highly unlikely.

vnzla81
06-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Why would Howard come here for? We need a player better than Danny(young Rashard Lewis) if we want to convince the guy to come here.

maragin
06-14-2011, 08:29 AM
If we win the NBA championship next year, it sure would help us attract good free agents.

PR07
06-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Danny Granger, DC, PG24, and Roy Hibbert is a more attractive team to play with than just Deron Williams and Spare parts IMO

Ummm...ever heard of Brook Lopez? You know the center for the Nets that is better than Roy Hibbert. If you're going to make a comment like that, at least have it be accurate.

Ozwalt72
06-14-2011, 10:02 AM
The Net's do not have Deron Williams. You really think he'll accept his player option or sign an extension with them? My guess is he gets more fed up with them and wants to go elsewhere.

Yes, that puts Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Dwight Howard all out there for grabs.

And PR07, really? The Brook Lopez that dominated his way to 6 rebounds in 35mpg this year? Better scorer than Roy? Yes. Better....anything else? I doubt it.

Head to head this season:

Roy 27.7mpg 18.3 ppg 61% fg 4.7 rpg 2 apg 2.3 bpg

Lopez 31mpg 20.3 ppg 52% fg 3.3 rpg 1.7 apg 1.3 bpg

PR07
06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
And PR07, really? The Brook Lopez that dominated his way to 6 rebounds in 35mpg this year? Better scorer than Roy? Yes. Better....anything else? I doubt it.

Head to head this season:

Roy 27.7mpg 18.3 ppg 61% fg 4.7 rpg 2 apg 2.3 bpg

Lopez 31mpg 20.3 ppg 52% fg 3.3 rpg 1.7 apg 1.3 bpg

I don't know where you're getting your stats, but for the regular season:

Roy Hibbert
27.7 mpg 12.7 ppg 7.5 rpg 1.8 bpg 15.96 per
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3436/roy-hibbert

Vs.

Brook Lopez
35.2 mpg 20.4 ppg 6.0 rpg 1.5 bpg 19.33 per

Where'd this phantom 18.3 ppg come from? In games they actually played one another? That's great, but give me the guy that's better for 82 games.

ballism
06-14-2011, 10:42 AM
The Net's do not have Deron Williams. You really think he'll accept his player option or sign an extension with them?

Sure they have as far as Dwight is concerned.
Dwight goes there -> Deron stays.
Why would he leave Dwight, Brooklyn and bigger money on the table? That's ridiculous.
That's the only thing that matters here in this thread.

Ownagedood
06-14-2011, 10:43 AM

I hate you for making me imagine that. ;)

All my hopes and dreams are going to be set too high now! :(

vnzla81
06-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Dwill by himself is more attractive than the whole Pacers team.

ballism
06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Why does Brook Lopez vs. Hibbert discussion matter at all? Dwight isn't going to play with either one.
If they get Dwight, they'll trade Brook Lopez.
And yes, I think Brook Lopez is a more valuable trade piece than Hibbert. At least he's younger and can clearly shoot, and it doesn't change with his mood every month.

xIndyFan
06-14-2011, 11:01 AM
. . . for the regular season:

Roy Hibbert
27.7 mpg 12.7 ppg 7.5 rpg 1.8 bpg 15.96 per
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3436/roy-hibbert

Vs.

Brook Lopez
35.2 mpg 20.4 ppg 6.0 rpg 1.5 bpg 19.33 per . . .

man, lopez sux as a rebounder.:eek: i thought roy was bad at a rebound every 3:40 of playing time. but lopez takes almost 6 min of playing time to get a rebound [5:52]. that rate would be bad for even a SF. :(

Pacersalltheway10
06-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Ummm...ever heard of Brook Lopez? You know the center for the Nets that is better than Roy Hibbert. If you're going to make a comment like that, at least have it be accurate.

The only thing Lopez is better at Roy is scoring. Ok then let me rephrase that:

Danny granger, Darren Collison, Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough are a much more attractive team to play with than Deron Williams and one-dimensional Brook Lopez and spare parts.

ballism
06-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Honestly, you want to lure Dwight Howard with Hibbert or Lopez. Come on.

PR07
06-14-2011, 12:01 PM
The only thing Lopez is better at Roy is scoring. Ok then let me rephrase that:

Danny granger, Darren Collison, Paul George, Roy Hibbert, Tyler Hansbrough are a much more attractive team to play with than Deron Williams and one-dimensional Brook Lopez and spare parts.

If you're going to start throwing around the one dimensional label, Danny, Collison, Hibbert and Hansbrough all say hi too. Just saying.

CableKC
06-14-2011, 12:04 PM
The only way that the Pacers would be involved in any Dwight Howard trade would be as a 3rd Party facilitator to make the numbers work out where we get some assets. But the only way it would work out is if it happens THIS season when we have the capspace.

Also, WHEN Dwight is traded, he'll move to the West....not to the East.

Ozwalt72
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Sure they have as far as Dwight is concerned.
Dwight goes there -> Deron stays.
Why would he leave Dwight, Brooklyn and bigger money on the table? That's ridiculous.
That's the only thing that matters here in this thread.

He wouldn't be leaving Dwight. Brooklyn, sure, bigger money...let's wait for the cba.

They can be free agents IN THE SAME YEAR.

Edit: So would they prefer the both of them and the pile of complete **** in New Jersey or paired with a borderline All-Star in Danny Granger? Now, a lot can change with a team's roster in the year before this is possible, but the Pacers would be the more attractive setting talent-wise barring some big changes in New Jersey.

Edit #2: And no, I don't honestly believe they'd come to Indy, but the Nets unless some big changes take place? I don't believe it.

Eddie Gill
06-14-2011, 01:06 PM
If we could get a commitment from Eric Gordon and the clips won't waste their time if he is really set on coming home, I think we have a good shot at Howard if we save up our cap space.

DC
Gordon
Granger and George
Howard
Hibbert

The key to getting Howard is Eric Gordon IMO

Or trade Granger for Howard in sign and trade and use extra cap space to fill out the roster better.

Has Gordon ever indicated he wants to come back to Indy? I keep seeing his name thrown around (and would obviously love to have him) but I have never read anything where he alludes to coming back home.

PR07
06-14-2011, 01:17 PM
He wouldn't be leaving Dwight. Brooklyn, sure, bigger money...let's wait for the cba.

Edit: So would they prefer the both of them and the pile of complete **** in New Jersey

Once again, Brook Lopez says hi, but no continue to live in ignorance. The fact that a 23 year old center who just put up 20 and 6 is ***** is unreal.

Pacersalltheway10
06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Why would Howard come here for? We need a player better than Danny(young Rashard Lewis) if we want to convince the guy to come here.
We could realistically get Eric Gordon in the same summer. If we want Howard we need to get EJ.

ballism
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Edit: So would they prefer the both of them and the pile of complete **** in New Jersey or paired with a borderline All-Star in Danny Granger? Now, a lot can change with a team's roster in the year before this is possible, but the Pacers would be the more attractive setting talent-wise barring some big changes in New Jersey.

Edit #2: And no, I don't honestly believe they'd come to Indy, but the Nets unless some big changes take place? I don't believe it.

Lets put aside the new CBA since we know nothing yet. There may be a hard cap at current numbers, there may be a soft cap at much lower numbers, there may be something in the middle, there may be franchise tags, we have no clue.

Ok, this is purely theoretical. But right now Pacers wouldn't even be able to attempt to get them both next summer, neither could most teams. It would take some major cleaning. Like letting Hibbert go without extension, not signing any of the incoming draft picks, not signing any free agents this year except NBDL players on 1 year deals, etc. That's a complete utopia.

The best thing the Nets have going for them, they still have assets. They can do a sign and trade of Howard for Lopez and a pick for example, which isn't too shabby for a sign and trade.
Which means Nets can arrange significant salary for both Dwight and Deron. Much more than Pacers or any other team could pay them both. Which is the key.
Or they can just sign Dwight straight up and trade their assets for someone useful. Iguodala type maybe.
Nets "pile of crap" isn't big at all, they are in a great position really. And you know they are going all in, while Pacers and most other teams will take the safe approach as always.

ballism
06-14-2011, 01:24 PM
We could realistically get Eric Gordon in the same summer. If we want Howard we need to get EJ.

I don't see anything realistic about either part of that plan. :)

Pacersalltheway10
06-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know what the deal is between Dwight Howard and Indiana University? Whenever I type in Dwight Howard in google it brings up the suggestion : Dwight Howard Indiana University

Mackey_Rose
06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know what the deal is between Dwight Howard and Indiana University? Whenever I type in Dwight Howard in google it brings up the suggestion : Dwight Howard Indiana University

Dwight Howard will always be a part of the IU Basketball family.

Pacersalltheway10
06-14-2011, 03:19 PM
I don't see anything realistic about either part of that plan. :)

You cant deny EJ coming here isn't realistic. Not extremely likely but realistic especially when he has said he wants to play in the Midwest again.

ballism
06-14-2011, 04:14 PM
You cant deny EJ coming here isn't realistic. Not extremely likely but realistic especially when he has said he wants to play in the Midwest again.

He's a restricted FA next summer.
He could hate everything about LA with all his heart, it's not up to him.

cdash
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM

Absolutely nothing.

cdash
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Dwight Howard will always be a part of the IU Basketball family.

Josh Smith will be. Always.

Eleazar
06-14-2011, 05:09 PM
Has Gordon ever indicated he wants to come back to Indy? I keep seeing his name thrown around (and would obviously love to have him) but I have never read anything where he alludes to coming back home.

There is at least one person on this board who know the Gordon family personally, and according that person his family seems to believe EJ would enjoy coming back. From what has been said though it doesn't sound like he will necessarily go out of his way to play in Indy, but Indy would be at or near the top of his list.

Indy1831
06-14-2011, 07:46 PM
We're not getting Howard and if Im paying someone big money, give me someone with size and game. Gordon is good, but Ide rather pay someone w/ prototypical size.

spreedom
06-14-2011, 09:38 PM
He's a restricted FA next summer.
He could hate everything about LA with all his heart, it's not up to him.

Unless he takes their qualifying offer, which makes him a UFA the following summer. Assuming that process is still possible in the new CBA.

Eleazar
06-15-2011, 12:27 AM
We're not getting Howard and if Im paying someone big money, give me someone with size and game. Gordon is good, but Ide rather pay someone w/ prototypical size.

So you would rather take someone with less talent if they are taller and bigger? Even though the other guy is more talented, and will be a star for a long time to come?

ballism
06-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Unless he takes their qualifying offer, which makes him a UFA the following summer. Assuming that process is still possible in the new CBA.

As I said, I don't see anything realistic about that plan. :)
And how does it help attracting Dwight anyway? That's 2 years from now, Dwight is next summer.

TheDon
06-15-2011, 12:58 PM
If all the planets allign and some form of divine intervention takes place and we get howard, I will buy season tickets for the first time in my life. I also will attempt a few backflips while crying tears of joy and build a statue in Larry Birds honor. Especially if somehow we got him as a free agent where we wouldn't have to give anything up in the process other than cap space. Him playing next to Hibbert would be unreal.