PDA

View Full Version : Miami/Dallas Free Agents

pizza guy
06-13-2011, 01:24 AM
I just checked the free agents for the Finals participants and was a little surprised by how many there are. There are always plenty of guys who win a ring with one team and then get overpaid/overvalued and wind up on a different team the next year. And, since Miami didn't win, they'll probably have anyone and everyone outside of the Big 3 for sale.

My question, then, is whether or not the Pacers (who have the money to spend) go out and get any of these guys. And, if they do, will any of them actually improve the team enough to maybe get past the first round?

Dallas
UNRESTRICTED
Jose Juan Barea
Caron Butler
Brian Cardinal
Tyson Chandler
DeShawn Stevenson
Peja Stojakovic

Miami
RESTRICTED
Mario Chalmers

UNRESTRICTED
Mike Bibby
Erick Dampier
Eddie House (P)
Juwan Howard
Zydrunas Ilgauskas (P)
James Jones (P)
Jamaal Magloire

If any of these guys are off the market for whatever reason, I pulled the info from HERE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12), the ESPN list of Free Agents that has been updated June 3.

Personally, I'd take a flyer on JJ Barea, Tyson Chandler, Mario Chalmers, and maybe Juwan Howard.

Thoughts?

ballism
06-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Step 1. Sign Chandler, Butler and JJ Barea.
Step 2. Trade Granger, Hibbert, Hansbrough, Posey and picks till 2020 for Dirk, Terry and Carlisle.
Step 3. ????
Step 4. Profit.

pacer4ever
06-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Brian Cardinal Max Contract please!!!!!!!!!!!

ballism
06-13-2011, 01:30 AM
Ohh yeah, how could I forget the Cardinal!...

pacer4ever
06-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Step 2. Trade Granger, Hibbert, Hansbrough, Posey and picks till 2020 for Dirk, Terry and Carlisle.
Step 3. ????
Step 4. Profit.

Can we add Mark Cuban in somehow?

KingGeorge
06-13-2011, 01:32 AM
There is no way that Dallas lets Tyson Chandler walk away. I wouldn't mind having JJ Barea as a backup PG, but he will probably be overpriced after his success in the playoffs. The only other player I would be interested in is Caron Butler, but he will be overpriced as well and has too many injury concerns.

Midcoasted
06-13-2011, 01:42 AM
Without Barea, I don't think the Mavs would have won that easily tonight. He was lights out. He has been all year. I think there is no way Cuban will let him walk after the show he put on tonight.

He would be intriguing, but with him out of the picture, I think the only ones that even jump out at all are Butler and Chandler. They just seem like good players that will want to be overpaid like most big men. Maybe Cardinal.

The rest of that heap, you can keep.

Heisenberg
06-13-2011, 02:44 AM
I'd be first in line to buy a Brian Cardinal Pacers jersey.

But please do not consider signing him Larry.

Shabazz
06-13-2011, 03:01 AM
You have to think Cuban will spend whatever it takes to keep the team together for another run next year. Get Butler and Haywood back to 100%, and you have a really tough team for next season. I would also guess that they will attempt to groom Barea to eventually replace Kidd in the next 2-3 years.

Are most of those Miami free agents guys who chose to sign for the veteran's minimum because they thought they would get a ring out of it?

owl
06-13-2011, 07:58 AM
New CBA will determine a lot. I think the league is trouble because the owners are divided against themselves much less able to negotiate with the players.

Justin Tyme
06-13-2011, 08:55 AM
New CBA will determine a lot. I think the league is trouble because the owners are divided against themselves much less able to negotiate with the players.

Very valid point. You have big market teams vs small market teams. Teams, like the Pacers who are in good cap shape, aren't going to want to let the big spenders get a free pass for their over spending. Why have to play by the rules only to have the rules changed to help the rich?

If Sterns allows this to happen, he needs to be FIRED immediately if not sooner. How many of the 30 teams does it take to fire/replace the NBA commish?

Unclebuck
06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Chandler would be great to have. he's a gamble though because of injury history and my guess is he'll really want to stay with the mavs and the mavs will pay him a lot to keep him, so any other team would probably have to offer him a huge and long contract.

So I don't see him as a realistic possiblity

Speed
06-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Hard cap is the only way Cuban doesn't/can't keep almost every guy on this years team. Really no one I want on Miamis.

PacerPenguins
06-13-2011, 09:55 AM
i want chandler..... or have barea to back up DC

pacergod2
06-13-2011, 09:56 AM
When Cuban was talking last night, he mentioned a couple of the players by name and he named four of the five starters, with the only one who he left out being Tyson Chandler. I don't think Chandler is petty, but something small like that can go a long way to taking a contract elsewhere, especially if you've already won a ring and there is more money on a different table.

vnzla81
06-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Tyson doesn't seem as a possibility to me, but out of the rest of the free agents I would try to sign Barea and Butler.

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 10:30 AM
When Cuban was talking last night, he mentioned a couple of the players by name and he named four of the five starters, with the only one who he left out being Tyson Chandler. I don't think Chandler is petty, but something small like that can go a long way to taking a contract elsewhere, especially if you've already won a ring and there is more money on a different table.
I highly doubt Cuban lets him walk but he may be forced to if the CBA includes a hard cap. I like Chandler but paying him 12 mill or more is way too much. He is though the type of player we need to get past the Bulls.

MyFavMartin
06-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I thought it was accurate and a big compliment that Indycornrows made the comparison of Matt Howard to Brian Cardinal. Matt probably won't be drafted and I'd love to see the Pacers be the first to offer a contract.

Otherwise, yes, Barea was lights out shooting, but I really thought Terry was tremendous last night. As for guys I'd want to see in a Pacers uniform: Chandler, hands down. He can work the low post while Roy is at the shoulder with the ball. I'd love to get Butler too but my priority would be Tyson... And if we get someone like Marshon Brooks, I'm not sure we need another wing. I think we should be conservative with the cap space as the CBA may phase in a hard cap that might make capspace very valuable in the next year or two. If that's the case, go after Chandler only ($12 million or less).

I like James Jones but don't see much PT for him on this team. His outside shooting is very good.

MillerTime
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
If we even got Chandler, what would happen to Hibbert?

There is no way we can start them both

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 10:50 AM
If we even got Chandler, what would happen to Hibbert?

There is no way we can start them both
Why? Chandler is as quick as Pau Gasol and Lakers start him at pf a lot.

Chandler is one of the few guys I think we could start at pf next to Hibbert.

cdash
06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
For the price it would cost to get these guys, I'll pass. Yeah Chandler would be nice but he's a center, not a power forward, and you would be signing him when his value is at an all time high. Barea is nice, but again, he is going to cost a lot more than he's worth and we don't really need another tiny body in the backcourt.

Unclebuck
06-13-2011, 11:15 AM

I heard him on NBATV after the game last night and the only player he mentioned was Chandler. He was with C. Webb and Greg Anthoiny and Matt Winer

CableKC
06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Butler is the only Player that would fill a need for us if we could live with a wing rotation of Granger/PG/Butler. Barea would be nice but at most he would be a backup. But I would not want to have 2 PGs that are 6 feet tall.

pwee31
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Interesting chat note

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1689

jim in toronto:
why did heats not sign dirk over bosh

Bill Ingram:
Bosh was part of the package . . .and Dirk wasn't leaving Dallas. Miami didn't want Bosh, really, but he was forced on them. They've been talking to teams like Phoenix and New Orleans already about upgrading their PG position in exchange for Bosh, and I'd expect to hear a lot more of those rumors . . .especially if the Hornets wind up moving to KC. Chris Paul won't have any loyalty to KC.

cory in dallas:
what heats major thing to do this summer you think and when will we get 5 way of fixing heats and 1 for dallas

Bill Ingram:
I think we see the HEAT trade Chris Bosh to Phoenix for Steve Nash. Haslem can give you Bosh numbers if playing with Nash, and they need a real playmaker making the decisions down the stretch of games. The HEAT also have interest in CP3, but unless the team leaves New Orleans Chris is staying put.

Since86
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Haslem isn't going to put up Bosh numbers. I love the Bosh jokes as much as the next guy, but there are clearly a few levels between him and Haslem.

vnzla81
06-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Haslem isn't going to put up Bosh numbers. I love the Bosh jokes as much as the next guy, but there are clearly a few levels between him and Haslem.

If Nash could make scrubs like Fryes and Warrick look amazing I wouldn't be surprise if he makes Haslem looks like a thougher version of Bosh.

edit: By the way I would hope the Nash to Miami trade doesn't happen because I like Nash and I don't want to see him playing with the Miami clowns.

imbtyler
06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
Step WIN
Step 4. Profit.

Fixed.

righteouscool
06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Chris Bosh might be one of the most underappreciated players in the league.

ballism
06-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Interesting chat note

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=1689

Yuck. I would have to root for the Heat next year if they get Nash.
Mental toughness standpoint, he'd help a lot. Shooting, dimes, they wouldn't blink against the zone no more.
LeBron/Wade would have a lot of adjustment to do though.

Bosh + Miller's bad deal for Nash + Gortat + Dudley? Or Grant Hill in a separate sign and trade instead of Dudley. I guess that would make some sense.

ballism
06-13-2011, 12:33 PM

It happens when you get severely over-appreciated for many years. Especially if you never won a playoff series and start celebrating multiple future titles.

Since86
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
If Nash could make scrubs like Fryes and Warrick look amazing I wouldn't be surprise if he makes Haslem looks like a thougher version of Bosh.

I guess I didn't realize averaging 21points combined between the two is amazing.

Frye averaged 12.7pts this year, and he averaged 12.3pts his rookie year playing 9 less minutes.

Warrick averaged 8.4pts this year, which is the lowest PPG average he's had since his rookie year 7 seasons ago.

dal9
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM

and rightfully so!

but more seriously, i don't think this is on Bosh--he played like a solid third option throughout the finals

on the trades, I don't see it...trading big for small is rarely good, and especially in the Heat's case...they need to up the frontcourt, not the backcourt...

Trophy
06-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I have no interest in the 12 other roster fillers on Miami.

I see a bunch of guys from Dallas to re-sign. Especially Tyson Chandler and possibly JJ Barea. For how many years is the question depending on if they will try and go after a big named FA in the future.

I've heard Dallas would like to bring back Caron Butler. I think that'd be a smart decision. They didn't have much depth behind Shawn Marion.

Kraft
06-13-2011, 01:43 PM
For all the grief Chris Bosh took all year, I grew to like him more and more as the playoffs went on ... at least when it comes to basketball. At least in the games I was able to watch closely, he was the guy trying to settle teammates down in the timeouts. His post-loss comments weren't supremely tactless like some others.

Jon Theodore
06-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Yeah I think Bosh is much more of a professional than LBJ or Dwade. HE almost choked Chalmers for being an idiot in last nights game, it was great.

Pacer Fan
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Chandler for 8mil per for 3 years. Pass on the rest. I'd Rather have Rookies then those choices.

spreedom
06-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I think Butler comes back as well, but probably in a bench role, since Marion complemented Dirk's game so strongly. I guess it really depends whether he is going to be agreeable to playing that role and whether or not he can be effective in more limited minutes.

I could honestly see the Mavs trying to package Beaubois/Haywood for a top-flight SG as well. That seems to be the only real weakness on the roster right now.

Anthem
06-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Nash for Bosh would be awesome. Yet another heat player that requires the ball to be effective.

PR07
06-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Nash is on the decline, and during the regular season, that would be a terrible backcourt defensively. I know Wade is really good when he tries, but he doesn't always try during the regular season.

Sookie
06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Nash for Bosh would be awesome. Yet another heat player that requires the ball to be effective.

I was just going to say..did they not learn anything about style of play?

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Most pg's need the ball to be effective. ;)

Constellations
06-14-2011, 01:05 AM

http://i56.tinypic.com/207kvo5.jpg