PDA

View Full Version : Our Best SFs in franchise history?

yoadknux
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
I don't know much about our history, who are our top small forwards?
And who do you think played better, prime Granger or prime Artest?

pwee31
06-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Detlef and The Rifleman are probably in consideration

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Roger Brown

Peck
06-12-2011, 05:43 PM
1. Roger Brown
2. Billy Knight
3. Danny Granger
4. Chuck Person
5. Ron Artest
6. Detleph Schremph
7. Jalen Rose
8. Derrick McKey

ballism
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
And who do you think played better, prime Granger or prime Artest?

Artest played like the best overall SF in league for a short span before Detroit.
Does it count as "prime"?
If yes, Artest.
If not, it's closer, but I'd still say Artest.

Dr. Awesome
06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Prime Artest was best SF I've seen with us. I'm only 22, so didn't see the Roger Brown years.

Sandman21
06-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Gotta go with Rajah, and his prime was 15 years before I was born. Everything I've got to go with him is old videos and the stories from the HBO documentary they made on the ABA and Terry Pluto's book. Even then, best SF this team has ever seen.

The Jackson shimmy
06-12-2011, 06:09 PM
I saw Rajah play live a ton of times. There is no question in my mind
that he was the best.

Strummer
06-12-2011, 06:17 PM
1. Roger Brown
2. Billy Knight
3. Danny Granger
4. Chuck Person
5. Ron Artest
6. Detleph Schremph
7. Jalen Rose
8. Derrick McKey

Billy Knight was a terrific scorer. He and George Gervin had some epic battles.

Interesting that a couple of hall of famers don't make your list. Alex English and Adrian Dantley. Unfortunately they didn't stick around long enough.

And Clark Kellog deserves a mention some where.

Doddage
06-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Show some love for Chris Mullin in his brief stint here.

croz24
06-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Show some love for Chris Mullin in his brief stint here.

? mullin didn't even average 9.5ppg in his 3 years with us... our best sf is far and away roger brown. you could even have the discussion that roger is the pacers greatest player.

Doddage
06-12-2011, 08:06 PM
? mullin didn't even average 9.5ppg in his 3 years with us... our best sf is far and away roger brown. you could even have the discussion that roger is the pacers greatest player.
This thread isn't about who's the best SF out of all the ones we've had. There's room for multiple answers.

Peck
06-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Billy Knight was a terrific scorer. He and George Gervin had some epic battles.

Interesting that a couple of hall of famers don't make your list. Alex English and Adrian Dantley. Unfortunately they didn't stick around long enough.

And Clark Kellog deserves a mention some where.

Crap, totally left special K off of the list. Yea he bolts up to # 4 & if injury hadn't taken away his game I suspect he would probably be 3rd.

The funny thing about Alex was that while he was with us he was a defensive & rebounding specialits. It wasn't until he teamed up with Paul Westhead that he turned into the dynamic scorer, but yes he should have been in there as well.

I'll put him between Det & Jalen.

Obviously Dantley would be way up there, maybe even # 1 but he only played here for a season so I have a problem with putting him on the list.

Granville
06-12-2011, 08:21 PM
Crap, totally left special K off of the list. Yea he bolts up to # 4 & if injury hadn't taken away his game I suspect he would probably be 3rd.

The funny thing about Alex was that while he was with us he was a defensive & rebounding specialits. It wasn't until he teamed up with Paul Westhead that he turned into the dynamic scorer, but yes he should have been in there as well.

I'll put him between Det & Jalen.

Obviously Dantley would be way up there, maybe even # 1 but he only played here for a season so I have a problem with putting him on the list.

Good mentions by everyone. I agree that Dantley and English deserve some consideration, but maybe weren't with the team long enough (unfortunately).

Wasn't it Doug Moe who got Alex scoring and not Westhead?

Sandman21
06-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Note to self: If I ever build a working time machine, go back to when the deals that sent Alex, Dantley and a certain 1984 first round pick out were made and break the time/space continuum. I might break the universe in the process, but at least those mistakes would be erased! :D

ballism
06-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Note to self: If I ever build a working time machine, go back to when the deals that sent Alex, Dantley and a certain 1984 first round pick out were made and break the time/space continuum. I might break the universe in the process, but at least those mistakes would be erased! :D

Indeed, it would've been cool to draft Sam Bowie. :signit:

Sandman21
06-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Indeed, it would've been cool to draft Sam Bowie. :signit:
We already had a young center in Stipo! :D

I can't remember where I heard this story, but apparently in 1983 (the Sampson/Stipo draft), Houston offered us their number 1 pick in 1984 (what became Hakeem) in exchange for letting them have the number 1 pick (remember that the NBA was still doing the coin flip at this time). Imagine if we had done THAT deal and not done the deal with Portland!:eek:

ballism
06-12-2011, 08:52 PM
We already had a young center in Stipo! :D

I can't remember where I heard this story, but apparently in 1983 (the Sampson/Stipo draft), Houston offered us their number 1 pick in 1984 (what became Hakeem) in exchange for letting them have the number 1 pick (remember that the NBA was still doing the coin flip at this time). Imagine if we had done THAT deal and not done the deal with Portland!:eek:

Man you are making me depressed now! :)

BobbyMac
06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
1. Roger Brown
2. Billy Knight
3. Danny Granger
4. Chuck Person
5. Ron Artest
6. Detleph Schremph
7. Jalen Rose
8. Derrick McKey

I agree. ....you hit the nail on the head! Roger was the best!

pacer4ever
06-12-2011, 09:04 PM
This thread isn't about who's the best SF out of all the ones we've had. There's room for multiple answers.

then we should say Tim Hardaway was the best pg in franchise history:rolleyes:? It is about how they played while they were here and how long they were here not their whole body of work outside of Indy IMO.

QuickRelease
06-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Dropping some Derrick McKey love. What he meant to us defensively during our contender years was invaluable.

croz24
06-12-2011, 09:12 PM

how could mullin even be considered for one of the best when his best of 3 years was 11ppg with zero defense? a guy like derrick mckey ranks much higher than chris mullin. have to measure these guys on how they played as pacers imo...

Sandman21
06-12-2011, 09:27 PM
Dropping some Derrick McKey love. What he meant to us defensively during our contender years was invaluable.

And his offense was IMO very underrated. He didn't take a lot of shots, but he made the shots he DID take count. In his entire time here, he only shot below 40% from the field for a season twice.

Day-V
06-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Gotta love Heavy D.

Doddage
06-12-2011, 10:22 PM
how could mullin even be considered for one of the best when his best of 3 years was 11ppg with zero defense? a guy like derrick mckey ranks much higher than chris mullin. have to measure these guys on how they played as pacers imo...
Mullin as a Pacer was an underrated contributor to the teams he was on. Sure, he wasn't a huge scorer, but there's no doubt that he made us a much better team when he was playing. He consistently shot a high percentage from the field and his presence allowed Reggie and Rik to play their game without having to worry about facing multiple defenders all the time.

http://i52.tinypic.com/10r8nr7.png

The way I see it, determining who's among the best at a certain position necessitates examining the impact they made when they were on the floor. Ignoring his 48% field goal shooting and 45% 3-point shooting, he made smart plays off the ball and facilitated the offense when he didn't score. You can make the argument that his defense was sub-par, but by that logic, Steve Nash wouldn't be considered one of the best PGs in NBA history. One can be an impact player without possessing noteworthy defensive talent so long as that deficiency is compensated by making intelligent plays.

I'm sure people will disagree, but I believe the Pacers needed Mullin in order to make those deep playoff runs in 98 and 99.

Eleazar
06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Mullins is in the discussion if you are judging them by their whole career, but if you are only judging based on time with the Pacers than he is in the Dunleavy category.

ensergio
06-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Watch Mullin playing with the Pacers was a joy.

Midcoasted
06-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Mullins is in the discussion if you are judging them by their whole career, but if you are only judging based on time with the Pacers than he is in the Dunleavy category.

Haha Chris Mullin will never be in the Dunleavy category. He competed at a high level deep into the playoffs with us at the end of his career and Dunleavy never did that. Per wiki:

"Mullin had a successful first season with the Pacers, coached by Larry Bird. He started all 82 games, averaged 11.3 points per game, and helped the Pacers to the Eastern Conference Finals, where they lost to Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls in seven tough games. Bird, however, began to phase Mullin out and give more time to Jalen Rose at small forward. Mullin did, however, appear in three games of the 2000 NBA Finals against the Los Angeles Lakers. After that season, Mullin was waived by the Pacers . He then once again signed with Warriors for the 2000–01 season, his last season as a player."

I think Artest could have been the best if he would have been more sane here. I'd have to probably say it is an old timer I never watched play, because outside of Artest, I haven't seen a SF play for us that was better, other than Granger. So in my lifetime Granger is a distant number 1 for us at small forward.

naptownmenace
06-13-2011, 11:40 AM
My Rankings:

1. "Downtown" Roger Brown
2. Danny Granger - MIP award winner, All-Star, Team USA Gold Medalist
3. Chuck Person - ROY award winner, leading scorer and rebounder multiple years
4. Detlef Schrempf - All-Star, 2-time 6th Man of the Year award winner
5. Billy Knight - All-Star, highest single season scoring average in Pacers NBA history
6. Jalen Rose - MIP award winner, averaged 25 ppg during 2000 Finals, leading scorer 3 seasons
7. Ron Artest - DPOY, All-Star
8. Clark Kellogg - averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds as a rookie.
9. Derrick McKey
10. Chris Mullin

ballism
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Was Roger Brown also called "Downtown"? I thought it was the other Brown, from the Sonics.

naptownmenace
06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Was Roger Brown also called "Downtown"? I thought it was the other Brown, from the Sonics.

Oops, it was Freddie Brown that they called "Downtown" because of his shooting range. :o

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/huDk4ZFy1xA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>