PDA

View Full Version : Euro Camp day 1 article DX

Really?
06-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Wow this was a very uninspiring video for both Dontas and Biyombo... I think even more for Dontas, one thing that they said was that Dontas track record shows that he can shot although he missed a lot of shots today, but the energy that he showed was what worries me. I think he will definitely drop.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2011-adidas-Eurocamp-Day-One-3746

Checkout the article and videos and let me know what you think, thanks.

PR07
06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Boy, is Biyombo's offensive game rough. Go to the 18 second mark.

That's clearly never going to be his strength, but is anyone else worried that this could be another Saer Sene?

Kstat
06-12-2011, 11:08 AM
I can't imagine Ben Wallace or Dwight Howard looking any better at the same age doing offensive shooting drills.

You don't draft the guy to be a jumpshooter.

pwee31
06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I can't imagine Ben Wallace or Dwight Howard looking any better at the same age doing offensive shooting drills.

I can't imagine Dwight Howard missing layups coming out of high school. He doesn't get drafted before Okafor if that was the case

Kstat
06-12-2011, 11:15 AM
He pretty much was. Howard was strictly a dunk machine until his 20's.

PR07
06-12-2011, 11:18 AM

Yeah, it's not like he was just missing jump shots. He was missing point blank layups, the kinds that a starting center on a 5th grade team may miss.

While it's true no one will be drafting him for his offensive repertoire, he can't be a complete offensive liability either outside the glass. Our big man rotation already consists of two "don't really have to guard" big men in Foster and McRoberts. Do we really need another?

dal9
<object style="height: 360px; width: 560px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rDqJGJwAU0M?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rDqJGJwAU0M?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="560" height="390"></object>

I think the girl at 1:00 scouted Maceo Baston for us.

pacers74
Biyombo looked better in the video of the Nike Camp back in April. He defense looked great, but that was also against graduating high school kids. I was hoping he would fall to us and now he probably will. I am not sure if I were Bird if I would take a chance on him now. He is going to be a BIG project. He can't even shoot free throws right now. They looked horrible. If he is really 18 he could get better and pan out in a couple of years, but he could go the way of Sene too.
That all being said, I will not be mad if he is there and Bird takes a chance on him. Maybe he could play next year and be our defense and rebounding guy. Think Jeff Foster with far less offense.

pwee31
06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
<object style="height: 360px; width: 560px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rDqJGJwAU0M?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="560" height="390"></object>

I think the girl at 1:00 scouted Maceo Baston for us.

:laugh:

Kstat
06-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Yeah, it's not like he was just missing jump shots. He was missing point blank layups, the kinds that a starting center on a 5th grade team may miss.

While it's true no one will be drafting him for his offensive repertoire, he can't be a complete offensive liability either outside the glass. Our big man rotation already consists of two "don't really have to guard" big men in Foster and McRoberts. Do we really need another?

I've seen him make enough thunder dunks at the rim for me to believe he's going to miss point-blank shots in the NBA.

ballism
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Our big man rotation already consists of two "don't really have to guard" big men in Foster and McRoberts. Do we really need another?

It would be nice to have a "can guard someone" big man in the rotation.

No offense to Foster, he's trying as hard as he can for his age and back.

ballism
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
against Sarra Camara and Team 4

Btw, that's an awesome name for a player.

Can someone get Sarra Camara, Jaka Lakovic and Bismack Biyombo on the same team please? I want to listen to that broadcast.

imawhat
06-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Boy, is Biyombo's offensive game rough. Go to the 18 second mark.

That's clearly never going to be his strength, but is anyone else worried that this could be another Saer Sene?

That's a fear, but it looks like he offers more than Sene right off the bat. I've only seen limited video on him, but I'll say it again because it's worth repeating: he has amazing defensive instincts.

You put him in the NBA and he's instantly in the top 1/3 tier of defenders. He may have foul trouble issues, but he's the kind of guy that will make opponents think twice before driving into the paint. His standing reach just measured higher than Dwight Howard and Greg Oden and he's on the same level athletically. The only difference is that he appears to be able to guard on the perimeter and possibly better than those two on pick and rolls. I'm really hyping him up, but he has all NBA defense potential.

Offensively it could go either way. Remember when Al Harrington got here? He had one of the most broke jumpshots I've seen but he improved after his rookie season. Antonio Davis was a dunks/rebounds/blocks guy his first season with us, but by his third season he was considerably improved in his free throw shooting and his 10-12 ft. jumper. Even Dale Davis improved a bit. But then you have guys like Shaq, Ben Wallace and Jeff Foster who never really improved their shooting. I'm not sure how to judge which direction Bismack will go. Hand size appears to be an issue with the players mentioned above. It looks like Bismack might have an issue with his hands which is negative in the post/rebounds but good for shooting.

I think he fills one of our biggest needs right now. If he develops the rest of his game he'll be very good.

Really?
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
I think teams interested in him will bring him in for private workouts... His offense is horrible yes we all know that, and he is manly there for his D. I bet most teams would like to see how his D is against NBA level players with better post moves and more quickness than some of the guys that he has been playing against.

Not sure if he will be super good or horrible. I will say that I doubt that he will be dunking on people in the NBA like he has done so far... but I guess only time will tell...

SMosley21
06-12-2011, 01:22 PM
That's a fear, but it looks like he offers more than Sene right off the bat. I've only seen limited video on him, but I'll say it again because it's worth repeating: he has amazing defensive instincts.

You put him in the NBA and he's instantly in the top 1/3 tier of defenders. He may have foul trouble issues, but he's the kind of guy that will make opponents think twice before driving into the paint. His standing reach just measured higher than Dwight Howard and Greg Oden and he's on the same level athletically. The only difference is that he appears to be able to guard on the perimeter and possibly better than those two on pick and rolls. I'm really hyping him up, but he has all NBA defense potential.

Offensively it could go either way. Remember when Al Harrington got here? He had one of the most broke jumpshots I've seen but he improved after his rookie season. Antonio Davis was a dunks/rebounds/blocks guy his first season with us, but by his third season he was considerably improved in his free throw shooting and his 10-12 ft. jumper. Even Dale Davis improved a bit. But then you have guys like Shaq, Ben Wallace and Jeff Foster who never really improved their shooting. I'm not sure how to judge which direction Bismack will go. Hand size appears to be an issue with the players mentioned above. It looks like Bismack might have an issue with his hands which is negative in the post/rebounds but good for shooting.

I think he fills one of our biggest needs right now. If he develops the rest of his game he'll be very good.

http://i52.tinypic.com/kezxar.jpg

Sparhawk
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
I just don't see how teams in the lottery can take a chance on a huge project like Biyombo. I could see the Pacers, since they are already a playoff team, so they don't necessarily need him to come in and play big minutes right away.

Right now, if he's available, I'm not even sure I'd want the Pacers to draft him. Not unless they can buy another pick in the first round.

SMosley21
06-12-2011, 01:29 PM

Other than the fact that Biyombo might actually be the same age as Dwight Howard RIGHT NOW. Some are saying that he could actually be anywhere between 23-26 years old currently. I'm not buying that the dude is only 18, at all.

xBulletproof
06-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Other than the fact that Biyombo might actually be the same age as Dwight Howard RIGHT NOW. Some are saying that he could actually be anywhere between 23-26 years old currently. I'm not buying that the dude is only 18, at all.

Reminds me of when the Braves got Rafael Furcal and everyone thought he was 18 and would project to a power hitter to go with his speed. Power that never manifested because he was probably already 23 years old or so.

pacer4ever
06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Reminds me of when the Braves got Rafael Furcal and everyone thought he was 18 and would project to a power hitter to go with his speed. Power that never manifested because he was probably already 23 years old or so.

Almost all Dominicans lie about there age because if Furcal was 23 he is considered a fossil in prospect terms and most teams wont sign you at that age. Hopefully Starlin Castro is only 21 but it doesn't really matter. I dont blame these players for not telling the truth.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZyjbG4gWgU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

pacer4ever
06-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Biyombo looked better in the video of the Nike Camp back in April. He defense looked great, but that was also against graduating high school kids. I was hoping he would fall to us and now he probably will. I am not sure if I were Bird if I would take a chance on him now. He is going to be a BIG project. He can't even shoot free throws right now. They looked horrible. If he is really 18 he could get better and pan out in a couple of years, but he could go the way of Sene too.
That all being said, I will not be mad if he is there and Bird takes a chance on him. Maybe he could play next year and be our defense and rebounding guy. Think Jeff Foster with far less offense.

I have been saying this since i got tape on him calling his offense raw is a huge understatement. All he will be able to do his rookie year is dunk. That is all his offense ability is right now. And i really don't see it improving to much.

owl
06-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Apparently there are radiographs taken recently(in the past year)that show his growth plates are still open which would put him around 18 at the most. If they were closed he could be older. How much is anyones guess.

owl
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
I have been saying this since i got tape on him calling his offense raw is a huge understatement. All he will be able to do his rookie year is dunk. That is all his offense ability is right now. And i really don't see it improving to much.

Jeff Foster 2.0 would not be a bad pick at 15.
He would be drafted for defense and rebounding

Kstat
06-12-2011, 03:11 PM
Would you buy LeBron James was only 18 when he was drafted? Greg Oden?

I'm not saying he's telling the truth, but I love how we all become genealogists on this matter because he looks old for his age and is from Africa.

dal9
06-12-2011, 03:14 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/kezxar.jpg

explain yourself

Trophy
06-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Despite not really making anything, I loved Dontas Motiejunas's offensive footwork. Very similar to Dirk.

He's clearly not going to be a huge impact right away, but he has a lot of potential to adjust to the NBA as well as bring his European style of play over.

I wasn't too impressed with Biyombo. He looked very lost around the post causing poor misses. Now I'm not surprised why his value may be slipping a bit.

imawhat
06-12-2011, 04:53 PM

Even if he's 25, he's still right in the age range of our core group. I don't think age is as relevant as everybody makes it. It's about mileage, which I think has been proven with the careers of Garnett, Kobe, Jermaine, etc. Also, development takes its own course. Even if he's 18 he may be maxed out on developing. Or he could be 26 and will develop a ton when he's 30. I think that's been proven with Dirk the past two seasons, Nash in '04, etc.

He's instantly our best defender in the post immediately and can rebound. You put him next to Tyler and you have two guys who go really hard on both ends. Tyler is the offense and Bismack is the defense. I think they'd be a very good duo. And you can match him up with Hibbert.

I think he's a no brainer at 15, especially in this draft. I'd trade up to get him.

owl
06-12-2011, 06:44 PM
If they truly have rads of his growth plates and they are open, the discussion is pointless.
Can I thank imawhat twice, because I feel the same way about Biyombo.

bphil
06-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Gah. No Euro big men, please! Except for the occasional German of course. The rest of them are pretty much worthless in the NBA.

ballism
06-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Day 2.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2011-adidas-Eurocamp-Day-Two-3747/

One interesting part:

Meanwhile, Boris Barac – the brother of former NBAer and current Spanish ACB league player Stanko Barac – a 6'9” 1992er, could not miss. From three-point land Barac went 6/6 for a whopping 32 points. That is easily the most a player has scored in any running clock game in this camp to date. Barac went 13/19 overall and also nabbed 5 boards. Needless to say, he acquainted himself quite well with the NBA scouts in attendance. We'll need to see today if his performance was an accurate reflection of talent-level or just a game for the ages.

So, Boris Barac in round 2, and we bring in both Barac brothers next year? :)

PS: when did Stanko become a "former NBAer"?

PS2: I'm getting annoyed with poor spelling of names in these articles. Monteijunas? A zillion times in two articles in a row? I get it, some of these names are long, but if you are NBA analyst and make a living by writing these articles, come on, get it right eventually.

Kemo
06-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Would you buy LeBron James was only 18 when he was drafted? Greg Oden?

I'm not saying he's telling the truth, but I love how we all become genealogists on this matter because he looks old for his age and is from Africa.

In all fairness , from what I have seen , most africans and men over there do in fact seem to look older than they are..

Since86
06-14-2011, 09:56 AM
explain yourself

It's a picture of someone "jumping the gun."