PDA

View Full Version : Boston looking to trade out of 1st round

SMosley21
06-11-2011, 04:48 PM
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/214078/Celtics_May_Look_To_Trade_Out_Of_First_Round

It's looking very likely that the Celtics trade their way out of this upcoming draft.

Consider the following quotes, all of which come straight from Boston GM Danny Ainge:

"It's not a strong draft. There's not a lot of players who could change a franchise."

"The last thing I wanna do...because we're trying to win...is put inexperienced players under Doc. It's a delicate balance."

If the Pacers were to go with the best player available at 15, it likely won't be a big man (which we "need"), so this could be a chance to get back in the first round, albeit late, with the 25th pick and snag a guy like a Jeremy Tyler to fill that need. We've got the kind of cap space now that we could buy the pick from Boston if we chose to, or we could just trade them a couple future 2nd rounders (2012, 2014)

CooperManning
06-11-2011, 04:58 PM
This seems so possible for us, especially considering Larry's Boston connection.

http://i.imgur.com/EK3j5.png

Hard times for backup 2s on that roster. Rush + cash anyone?

Doddage
06-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Rush for the 25th pick? Gives them some youth and a player who fits their style of play. Maybe being a part of that culture would bring out the best in Rush and he'd be able to fill the role that Posey did in 07-08 as a defensive ace off the bench.

Meanwhile for us it'd free up some minutes at the wing spots and give us a chance to look at a prospect we like. An interesting player like a Reggie Jackson or JaJuan Johnson might be available at that pick.

Doddage
06-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Hard times for backup 2s on that roster. Rush + cash anyone?
Heh, didn't see your post before I posted mine. Looks like we're on the same wavelength. ;)

BornReady
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
count me in!

judicata
06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
I seriously doubt we're going to find a big man that fills a need on this roster at 25 in the weakest draft in a decade.

cdash
06-11-2011, 05:22 PM
If we get that pick, I think it would be a perfect spot to take JaJuan Johnson. At that point, he's a no brainer.

owl
06-11-2011, 05:38 PM
If we get that pick, I think it would be a perfect spot to take JaJuan Johnson. At that point, he's a no brainer.

I will be very surprised if JJ does not go before 20. I just don't see any bigman after the first 10 picks who does all the thing he does.
But if he is there at 25 and the Pacers have that pick, you are right, it would be a no brainer.

cdash
06-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I will be very surprised if JJ does not go before 20. I just don't see any bigman after the first 10 picks who does all the thing he does.
But if he is there at 25 and the Pacers have that pick, you are right, it would be a no brainer.

I think in a normal year, he is a second round pick. But this year? Somewhere in the 23-30 range sounds about right. I think he's a bit underrated on the mocks at this point, but I don't think he rises into the top 20.

ECKrueger
06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I would be pumped to get JJ at 25.

PacerGuy
06-11-2011, 06:43 PM
At 1 " taller, 40+#'s heavier & 3 yrs. younger, am I the only one who would lean towards J.Tyler @ 25 over JJ?

esabyrn333
06-11-2011, 07:05 PM
At 1 " taller, 40+#'s heavier & 3 yrs. younger, am I the only one who would lean towards J.Tyler @ 25 over JJ?

I would much rather have Jeremy Tyler than JJ. Personally I am hoping we take Tyler at 15 honestly. Other than Tyler I just don't see anyone worth taking a shot at with 15. Maybe Selby, but I personally don't think most of the guys people are talking about will be anything more than the 9th or 10th guy off the bench for a team

BringJackBack
06-11-2011, 07:13 PM
I think this pick is ours to lose. We have all the pieces to get this; Second rounders, Brandon Rush or Dahntay, money, or rights to our guys overseas.

pacer4ever
06-11-2011, 07:14 PM
I think this pick is ours to lose. We have all the pieces to get this; Second rounders, Brandon Rush or Dahntay, money, or rights to our guys overseas.

Then Memphis offers OJ Mayo for #25

whats indy counter :hmm: I dont think it is ours to lose many other teams have better assets.

BringJackBack
06-11-2011, 07:17 PM
...And why would they trade Mayo for the #25 pick? I think you're trying too hard to play devil's advocate here. It's essentially 2nd round talent in a decent draft.

WE are the team with the assets now. Cap space, young players, picks, and projects galore.

pacer4ever
06-11-2011, 07:25 PM
...And why would they trade Mayo for the #25 pick? I think you're trying too hard to play devil's advocate here. It's essentially 2nd round talent in a decent draft.

I beg to differ IMO the talent that will be there at 25 wont be much different than the 7th pick. That is why i consider it a weak draft there isn't much difference in talent in the middle of the draft IMO. There is a big drop off in talent after the top 3 picks. This draft is deep with decent players IMO just not with a lot of impact star potential players. I could see Donatas Motiejunas go as high as 8th and i could see him also going 20th. This draft is deep in a sense.

Is 25 worth OJ ? No but they would most likley get better offers than future 2nd round picks IMO.

Tom White
06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Hard times for backup 2s on that roster.

It is even harder to figure out who there front court players are going to be, isn't it? Perkins, O'Neal & O'Neal are all gone. Glen Davis will likely get all the minutes he can handle.

Tom White
06-11-2011, 07:41 PM

So then why use any of those assets on the 25th pick in a weak draft?

Do you not think the Pacers could fare better through other means?

There is enough youth on this team as is. They could use a veteran or two.

BringJackBack
06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
^Of course, but the options are there now, and they weren't before

imbtyler
06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
If Doc doesn't want inexperienced players, there's a chance Boston will want out of the second round too. If they'll take expiring Posey back, send both him and Rush for #25 and #55. If Draft Express is moderately accurate, Greg Smith might be available that late, and he might be a project or trade asset. Also...

EVEN IF HE IS AVAILABLE, DO NOT DRAFT BEN HANSBROUGH WITH THE 55TH PICK.

Tom White
06-11-2011, 08:35 PM
EVEN IF HE IS AVAILABLE, DO NOT DRAFT BEN HANSBROUGH WITH THE 55TH PICK.

Why?

Anthem
06-11-2011, 10:02 PM
I'd like to think Rush is worth more than the 25th pick in the worst draft of the decade.

imawhat
06-11-2011, 10:07 PM
For those more familiar with both players: what are the differences between Ed Davis and JaJuan Johnson? They sound like very similar players, so I'm wondering how Ed was drafted higher in a stronger class than this year's.

owl
06-11-2011, 10:10 PM
Pacers are losing Dunleavy,Ford,Mcoberts and Jones and maybe Foster. That is 5 players to replace.
Two draft picks and three veterans would fill out the roster. Next year the Pacers
could lose Posey,Price and Rush. I see room for two first round picks.

pacer4ever
06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
I'd like to think Rush is worth more than the 25th pick in the worst draft of the decade.

this is the 1st draft of the decade :laugh:

this draft cant be worst than the 2000 draft. or can it?

CooperManning
06-11-2011, 10:40 PM

But it's not like there won't be players with potential at 25. Guys like Tobias Harris, JuJuan Johnson, Reggie Jackson, and Jeremy Tyler could be there. If we get Marshon Brooks at #15 there will be a SG logjam. Trading Rush for one of those guys would be well worth it, IMO.

BornReady
06-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Then Memphis offers OJ Mayo for #25

whats indy counter :hmm: I dont think it is ours to lose many other teams have better assets.

If Memphis offers Mayo for 25, why wouldn't they just take 15, Rush, AND McRoberts from us?

ChristianDudley
06-11-2011, 11:21 PM
I'm surprised the Celtics don't want to try to at least draft a big man, preferably for them a center, and see if he turns out because Krstic has left to play overseas, Shaq has retired, and JO might even retire this summer. Whatever floats their boat, though.

imbtyler
06-12-2011, 03:29 AM
I'm surprised the Celtics don't want to try to at least draft a big man, preferably for them a center, and see if he turns out because Krstic has left to play overseas, Shaq has retired, and JO might even retire this summer. Whatever floats their boat, though.

I don't see any "big man" talent being available at 25, besides Jeremy Tyler. He might even count as an "experienced player" to Doc, in the sense that he played ball overseas. Of course, Doc may also be a purist, and none of that foreign :bs: makes a difference to him.

jpatt34
06-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Rush for the 25th pick? Gives them some youth and a player who fits their style of play. Maybe being a part of that culture would bring out the best in Rush and he'd be able to fill the role that Posey did in 07-08 as a defensive ace off the bench.

Meanwhile for us it'd free up some minutes at the wing spots and give us a chance to look at a prospect we like. An interesting player like a Reggie Jackson or JaJuan Johnson might be available at that pick.

Why is everyone trying to get rid of Rush. He's one of our best defenders and 3 point shooters we have. He might not put up stellar numbers offensively but he doesn't hurt the team to me.

Doddage
06-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Why is everyone trying to get rid of Rush. He's one of our best defenders and 3 point shooters we have. He might not put up stellar numbers offensively but he doesn't hurt the team to me.
You're better off asking that same question to Larry Bird himself, who for the past two years at the trade deadline had deals lined up to move Rush.

xBulletproof
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Rush is never mentioned as part of our core and they keep trying to move him. Its clear we aren't keeping him past this year. Might as well try to move him for something useful beyond this year. Problem with this idea is that Boston has no way to match Rush's contract. They're not under the cap so they can't just absorb his salary for the pick.

So I dont see how this is plausible.

Justin Tyme
06-12-2011, 09:34 AM

Same reason Bird has tried to trade him the last 2 trade deadlines.... he can't be counted on except to be inconsistant. Mr. Inconsistantcy can't be counted on to show up but every so often.

Justin Tyme
06-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I don't see Boston as the only team that will try and trade or sell their 011 1st pick. I could see Chicago looking to trade or sell either or both their #28 & 30 picks.

PR07
06-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I wouldn't trade Rush just for the sake of trading him, but if we can get some value back? Sure, why not?

Doug
06-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Just by virtue of being a proven NBA player, Rush is very likely better than anybody we'd get at 25. It's kind of a crap shoot down there, especially in a weak draft.

If I have 25, I'd be looking to trade it for a couple of second rounders. You double your chances of "getting lucky" without having the guaranteed salary. And there's a good chance that whoever you want at 25 will be there anyway.

The only way I'd trade or buy 25 is if the 2nd guy on my draft board dropped all the way down there. And even then I'd hard about it.

pwee31
06-12-2011, 11:50 AM
I know there hasn't been any talk recently, but I still think the Pacers are looking to trade out of the 1st round.

With the uncertainty of the CBA, and not knowing exactly what the cap space will be like, might the Pacers try and add veteran talent through trade in the draft themselves?

Not sure if the Mayo deal is still out there, but I think we have plenty youth on the team. Adding another young rookie, would be nice, especially if Bird thinks they can play of have an impact, but I still wouldn't rule out a trade

SMosley21
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Rush is never mentioned as part of our core and they keep trying to move him. Its clear we aren't keeping him past this year. Might as well try to move him for something useful beyond this year. Problem with this idea is that Boston has no way to match Rush's contract. They're not under the cap so they can't just absorb his salary for the pick.

So I dont see how this is plausible.

This is the exact reason why I proposed buying the pick from Boston, or offering future 2nd rounders. Financially, that's pretty much the only way this deal happens, unless we're taking back a player from Boston.

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Actually, trading Boston Rush for 25th pick would work. Boston can use their trade exception on Rush and be done with it. No cash consideration or player return needed. Rush would be a perfect fit behind Allen.

ksuttonjr76
06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Personally, I don't want anything to do with this draft. Instead of acquiring picks to play craps, I rather see Indiana get rid our picks for players already in the NBA. As somone stated before, we don't need to get any younger. We need to start acquiring proven/veteran talent to insert into our lineup.

Why we want to keep wasting our time in getting picks for a worthless draft is beyond me.

JB24
06-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Actually, trading Boston Rush for 25th pick would work. Boston can use their trade exception on Rush and be done with it. No cash consideration or player return needed. Rush would be a perfect fit behind Allen.

Yep. Problem is, they'd be giving up the pick and paying around 4.5 million dollars in salary and tax for Rush next season. I think there's better deals to be had if i'm Ainge.

CooperManning
06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Personally, I don't want anything to do with this draft. Instead of acquiring picks to play craps, I rather see Indiana get rid our picks for players already in the NBA. As somone stated before, we don't need to get any younger. We need to start acquiring proven/veteran talent to insert into our lineup.

Why we want to keep wasting our time in getting picks for a worthless draft is beyond me.

Get vets now so they can lose to the Heat for the next three years? This team's still building, IMO. Going 37-45 for the 8 seed doesn't put us in win-now mode. Let's let our head coach get his first full NBA season under his belt. And the #15 pick isn't going to get that great of a vet in return. Our patience will be rewarded a few years from now.

Eddie Gill
06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
I really like what I've seen/read abot Jeremy Tyler. Dude seems to have a really solid head on his shoulders.
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/scott_howard_cooper/06/07/jeremy-tyler/

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 02:30 PM
Yep. Problem is, they'd be giving up the pick and paying around 4.5 million dollars in salary and tax for Rush next season. I think there's better deals to be had if i'm Ainge.

There's no problem...Rush's salary is just under 3 mil. Boston needs to fill 8-10 roster spots. At 72mil before filling these spots you actually think they care about Rush's luxury tax...:laugh: They will be lucky to find a better deal trading the 25th pick in this draft. Rush was 13th pick in a much better draft.

xBulletproof
06-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Based on Rush's 2 million dollar salary of last year, yes. Based on his 2.9 million dollar salary for next season, no. I don't believe it still works.

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Based on Rush's 2 million dollar salary of last year, yes. Based on his 2.9 million dollar salary for next season, no. I don't believe it still works.

Boston has over 3.3 mil in exceptions. Last I calculated this, Boston has about 300+k to spare for someone else too.

xBulletproof
06-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Boston has over 3.3 mil in exceptions. Last I calculated this, Boston has about 300+k to spare for someone else too.

I don't think you can combine trade exceptions. Don't believe it works that way.

Hicks
06-12-2011, 02:44 PM

This season hasn't ended yet, so we're still dealing with the 2 million dollar salary until June 30th.

xBulletproof
06-12-2011, 02:47 PM
This season hasn't ended yet, so we're still dealing with the 2 million dollar salary until June 30th.

That makes no sense, really. I wondered if that was the case, but it really doesn't make sense. When the draft happens, the season is over.

Shade
06-12-2011, 02:48 PM
I would, too. But we'd probably both be wrong.

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm not sure how the exceptions break down, I just show current exceptions of approx. 3.3 mil. I know only 1 exception can be used per player. I did't figure the 3.3 was multiple or it should have been broke down to show otherwise...I'll have to check. Maybe it wouldn't work then.

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 02:57 PM

Duh, What was I thinking...you are so right...the exception would be applied to current salary till June 30th...Thanks Hicks!:)

Hicks
06-12-2011, 03:01 PM
That makes no sense, really. I wondered if that was the case, but it really doesn't make sense. When the draft happens, the season is over.

I've just gradually gotten used to thinking of it that way, but yeah, it used to bother me, too.

That's just the NBA's calendar's begin/end date. Their "new year's eve" is June 30th, their "new year's day" is July 1st.

Pacer Fan
06-12-2011, 03:05 PM
I would, too. But we'd probably both be wrong.

I also would think the same way. I guess, one can look at Rush and maybe say he is what he is. He could be better then a rookie as a rotational player for the aging Celts and Pacers could take a chance to better the future for a guy like Reggie Jackson or a Jeremy Tyler...tough call in some peoples eyes.

Pacersalltheway10
06-12-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't see a trade for OJ Mayo during the draft. They wanted a big man for Mayo we don't have any available for trade unless they are high on Someone like J. Tyler or Tristan Thompson. the grizzlies don't even have a first round pick this year.

pacergod2
06-13-2011, 10:29 AM
A couple of points.

1. Rush would be a MUCH better player in Boston than he would here. Veteran leadership that would know how to push people. His defense would be appreciated. His outside shooting would help stretch the floor for Rondo. He would come off the bench for Allen and Pierce and play fairly sizeable minutes for them. He would be a helpful piece for Boston against Miami.

2. The #15 pick in this draft has little value in terms of the trade market. Everybody is going to be trying to trade their pick for proven players and the supply of available picks really waters down their value to the point where you almost want more picks just to take some chances on enough guys that one pans out and is worth the relatively low cost.

3. We probably don't want to add more picks this year, because we have more money than roster spots. If we bring back McRoberts and Foster and add Barac, then we only have space for two guys, drafted or signed. I would love to make a deal where we trade three or four players for one or two players. I think it would benefit our roster to do so.

Gamble1
06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
It all depends on what you wan to do this off season. IF Bird elects to sign another pf to start ahead of Hans then I would be fine with drafting Tyler.

If Bird however wants tyler to start then I think JJ makes more sense than Jermey Tyler because JJ is nba ready and would easily fullfill the backup pf position.

You can list of Tylers measurements but just keep in mind he was on of the fattest prospects in this draft and JJ measuered out to be one of the best pf athletes in this draft.

Hicks
06-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I think Rush is the kind of guy you want off the bench when you're a serious contender. If Boston has another run in them, he'd be a valuable contributor, I think.

redfoster
06-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Would love to trade BRush for this pick and take Jeremy Tyler or another intriguing big.

ECKrueger
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
2. The #15 pick in this draft has little value in terms of the trade market. Everybody is going to be trying to trade their pick for proven players and the supply of available picks really waters down their value to the point where you almost want more picks just to take some chances on enough guys that one pans out and is worth the relatively low cost.

This is exactly what I want. It would be great to have a couple picks this year.

It all depends on what you wan to do this off season. IF Bird elects to sign another pf to start ahead of Hans then I would be fine with drafting Tyler.

If Bird however wants tyler to start then I think JJ makes more sense than Jermey Tyler because JJ is nba ready and would easily fullfill the backup pf position.

You can list of Tylers measurements but just keep in mind he was on of the fattest prospects in this draft and JJ measuered out to be one of the best pf athletes in this draft.

Never really thought of it, but this makes a lot of sense. I don't think he wil ever be great, but I would love to see JJ here. With him and Hans, we'd have some pretty decorated college PFs.