PDA

View Full Version : uh-oh, everybody practice those mid range jumpers

Lord Helmet
10-13-2004, 09:36 PM
They are just doing it in the NBDL?....Right?....Right? :shudder:

SoupIsGood
10-13-2004, 09:37 PM
That's stupid.

They might as well come out and say they're restricting the three pointer to "Miller time". What's this five minute hogwash.

sweabs
10-13-2004, 09:37 PM
Great idea :unimpressed:

Lord Helmet
10-13-2004, 09:43 PM
Please tell me they are only doing this in the NBDL.Just considering doing this in the NBA is stupid.

ChicagoJ
10-13-2004, 09:51 PM
I like the three-point shot a little less every season. I'd like to see how this expiriment turns out. Assuming Reggie walks away after this season, there's nobody else on the Pacers roster that I'd want shooting a three pointer period, except if its the last play and we're down by three.

SoupIsGood
10-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Damn Btown is angry.

If the three pointer is restricted to the last five minutes...

Would Peja ever make another three in his life?

TheSauceMaster
10-13-2004, 10:14 PM
I like the idea , tired of hearing so much about the 3 pt shot , let's get back to driving to the basket and mid range jumpers.

To some people all that matters is the 3 pt % , just like when Sjax was rumored to be traded to us one of the first things pointed out was his 3 pt % .

It maybe a long , long time before we ever have someone who can shoot a 3 pt shot like Reggie.

sweabs
10-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Why did nba.com just put out a little section on their website dedicated to "the trey - the history of the 3 pointer"?

beast23
10-13-2004, 11:07 PM
I think it's one of the dumber suggestions I've heard in a long, long time. There are several reasons why I have that opinion.

1. The fans are behind the 3. Remove the 3 and you may be killing some of their interest in the game, leading to a decrease in fans.

2. The 3 brings a certain balance to the game and the offensive sets. Remove the 3 and it makes any jump shot equivalent to a dunk. In my opinion, that forces more of the game into the paint, resulting in a much higher emphasis on big men. Therefore, it narrows the scope/complexity of the game.

3. I believe it would result in even less scoring. At least a minority of fans would react unfavorably to that .

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2004, 11:43 PM
I hate ANYTHING which changes the rules from one part of the game to another.

Basketball's basketball - if they don't like the 3-pt shot, get rid of it altogether.

I like what it says about the NBA though: "We don't have players who can shoot so we'll just make it so shooting doesn't matter."

Profoundly idiotic IMO.

Kegboy
10-14-2004, 12:12 AM
Now guys, you always got to be so negative.

Look at it this way. If they do this, than Reggie will forever be the career 3pt leader. :p

They damn well better wait until Reggie retires, though, or I'm buying a gun.

Just saying...:maniac:

Anthem
10-14-2004, 12:31 AM
I have a hard time taking this seriously...

The NBA has "considered" a lot of things that never went anywhere. I'm not going to worry about it.

SoupIsGood
10-14-2004, 12:35 AM
I want a 4-pointer.

:p

Ultimate Frisbee
10-14-2004, 02:32 AM
they should just double the value of the shots.. that would increase scoring...

Young
10-14-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't mind this idea if it goes thourgh although I must say i'd want them to change it back in a couple of years but hell then everyone like Antonie would just go back to jacking up 3s.

But I do think this is a good idea.

I think it will be even more interesting to see how many more teams use zone now.

ABADays
10-14-2004, 09:36 AM
So they would consider this but have the refs call more fouls to increase the offense? Ummmm - ok!

BillS
10-14-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, let's go back to NBA basketball pre-3-pt-shot, where nothing happened beyond 10-feet from the basket. See if we can get 10 guys crammed into the area just around the lane, where defenders are called for fouls if they breathe hard on someone going by.

Right, that'll work.

Hell, why not just make defense illegal and rename the game "48-minute H-O-R-S-E"?

Explain to me why not having a 3-pt shot suddenly makes a mid-range jumper start appearing on highlight shows? All that will happen is that no one will shoot anything but slams.

Hicks
10-14-2004, 10:51 AM
Plus, think about having 10 guys packed in near the lane like that, with the current 3-second rule still in place. Bah.

McKeyFan
10-14-2004, 11:50 AM
I hate ANYTHING which changes the rules from one part of the game to another.

So, which way?
Do you want it removed altogether? Or left alone?

Young
10-14-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah, let's go back to NBA basketball pre-3-pt-shot, where nothing happened beyond 10-feet from the basket. See if we can get 10 guys crammed into the area just around the lane, where defenders are called for fouls if they breathe hard on someone going by.

Right, that'll work.

Hell, why not just make defense illegal and rename the game "48-minute H-O-R-S-E"?

Explain to me why not having a 3-pt shot suddenly makes a mid-range jumper start appearing on highlight shows? All that will happen is that no one will shoot anything but slams.

- The NBA isn't saying you can't shoot 3s, but you wont get 3 points for them. As you know.

The NBA is trying to increase the FG%. I think. Improve shot selection. Because players like Antonie Walker and Paul Pierce jack them up alot.

And why does highlights matter? ESPN won't like it but who cares?

And lastly most players either dunk or jack up 3s anyway so them dunking more wouldn't be to noticed. That's what today's game is, fast break and dunking and flashy AND1 type stuff.

I think this rule will just make players think twice about shooting from long range which is good. Because part of what made Michael so great is he was excellant at selecting shots. He knew what he could hit 3s but also understood he was much better from mid-range. Thats one of the things that seperates MJ from todays stars like Kobe and TMac.

Stryder
10-15-2004, 08:00 AM
If they do this, it'll be a gimmick.

And gimmicks are not good for sport.

Period.

Fool
10-15-2004, 08:59 AM
When do they start painting the 5, 10, and 15 point circles on the floor like in all-star competitions?

ChicagoJ
10-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Mixed Reviews for NBDL 3-Point Experiment

By Conrad Brunner | Oct. 14, 2003
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The NBA's decision to implement an experimental rule in the NBDL eliminating the 3-point shot until the final 5 minutes of regulation and overtime was met with mixed reviews from the Pacers.

"Being a 3-point shooter, I think it kind of (stinks)," said Reggie Miller. "I don't know how they thought of this. Stu Jackson (NBA vice president) must be bored there on Park Avenue or wherever the NBA offices are. Thatís incredible. I don't see how it has any bearing on the game. They're trying to change and try some new things but I truly do not understand it."

Teammate Ron Artest had a warmer reception to the proposal.

"It's different. It's kind of cool," he said. "I think the mid-range game is a lost art and instead of taking that long shot, maybe guys will step in a little bit and it'll help the game because mid-range is an important part of the game."

Franchise President Larry Bird, one of the most legendary long-range shooters in league history, said he was in favor of the idea of trying some new rules, but doubted this one would ever find its way into the NBA.

"I don't think it'll ever happen in this league," Bird said. "Fans like the 3-point shot and if you've got the line out there, they're going to shoot 'em, anyway. It's probably something that will never make it to our league but you've got to experiment and try to make the game better. I'm all for that."

Jackson said Thursday the rule is not even on the table for consideration of use in NBA games but, because scoring and the overall flow of the game have declined in recent years, the league is willing to experiment at the NBDL level.

"If you look at the game overall, including the collegiate and high school level since the inception of the 3-point shot, it's being taken with an increasing amount of frequency which, in part, has driven shooting percentages south," Jackson told The Associated Press. "The three has become a real focal point of offenses and we would like to turn the clock back and see what the game is like without it and the effect it has."

Coach Rick Carlisle said he had some misgivings about the need for the rule but would be intrigued by its overall effect.

"I don't see anything wrong with experimentation," he said. "If you can find out some things that are relevant to making the game better, then that's good. It would be hard to imagine basically having the defensive rules we have now and not having a 3-point line. There are some people that believe taking away the 3-point line would increase ball and player movement. It probably would be an interesting thing to look at.

"You just would hope that the results in the D-league situation would translate to our league. I'm not necessarily sure that they would because the players are so different. But it would be interesting to see what the effects on scoring are and I'm sure that's why they're doing it."

ChicagoJ
10-15-2004, 10:19 AM
Pacers dive into 3-point debate
Though NBA isn't going to limit 3-pointers to last 5 minutes of games, the idea has players and coach talking.

By Sekou Smith
sekou.smith@indystar.com
October 15, 2004

The NBA said Thursday it had no plans to limit the 3-point shot to the final minutes of games, but the fact that it was an issue one day earlier shocked its greatest 3-point shooter.

"Being a 3-point shooter, I think that kind of sucks," said Indiana Pacers guard Reggie Miller, who has made an NBA-best 2,464 in his career. "I don't know how they thought of this. Stu Jackson must be bored up there on Park Avenue or wherever the NBA offices are."

The league announced Wednesday that it was considering getting rid of the 3-point shot until the final five minutes of games in its National Basketball Development League in an effort to increase shooting percentages.

Jackson, the NBA's senior vice president for basketball operations, made it clear Thursday that that the experimentation would not be considered for the NBA.

"(The rule) has never been discussed by the competition committee," Jackson told The Associated Press.

Still, Miller said after practice Thursday that he had a hard time understanding how the shot became an issue.

"That's incredible and I don't see how that has any bearing on the game, counting them in the last five minutes," Miller said. "You know they're trying to change and trying some new things. But I truly don't understand it."

Since the inception of the 3-point shot, during the 1979-80 season, the number of shots from that distance has risen steadily. Last season, teams made just 34.7 percent from that range.

Jackson said the frequency of the shot, from the high schools to the pros, has driven shooting percentages "south."

"The 3 has become a real focal point of offense, and we would like to turn the clock back and see what the game is like without it and the effect it has," he said.

While he doesn't support tweaking the rule, Pacers coach Rick Carlisle is not opposed to experimentation.

"If you can find out some things that are relevant to making the game better, then that's good," Carlisle said. "There are some people that believe taking away the 3-point line would increase ball and player movement. It would be an interesting thing to look at.

"You would hope that the results in the (developmental) league situation would translate to our league, but I'm not so sure they would because the players are so different."

Jackson has an ally in Pacers All-Star forward Ron Artest, who said the idea seemed kind of "cool."

"It's different," Artest said. "I think the midrange game is a lost art, so to speak, and it needs to come back. So instead of taking that long shot, maybe some guys would come in a little bit. It would help the game out a bit."

How it would help is the question.

Is the goal better shooting? More scoring? Or a combination?

Carlisle, a noted student of the game, has a radical idea of his own.

"That's not my belief, but if you believe an increase in scoring would make the game better, the easiest thing to do would be to make the rim bigger," he said. "I've been saying that for two years."

Etc.

Jonathan Bender is back with the team but hasn't practiced the past two days and is not expected to play in the team's exhibition game Saturday at Memphis. . . . Carlisle said Jermaine O'Neal's availability for Saturday's game essentially will be "up to O'Neal." O'Neal injured his foot during workouts in August.

Call Star reporter Sekou Smith at (317) 444-6053.