PDA

View Full Version : Vogel to be announced coach once assistants are named!

PacerPenguins
06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
UPDATE No. 2: According to Mike Wells of The Indianapolis Star, Bird will officially make Vogel the head coach once he has named his assistants.

Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated also added this via Twitter on Friday: "Pacers likely to remove interim tag from Frank Vogel next week, sources say. Staff, salary only real hurdles left in the process."

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

LetsTalkPacers
06-10-2011, 04:23 PM
:dance:I was worried I wouldn't be able to do a Frank the Tank chant:dance:

But seriously I feel good about this. I know a lot of fans including myself had questions about his ability to police the locker room, but with the right assistants this should be great.

Ownagedood
06-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the update!

He and the Pacers will grow together. I think he has tons of potential, glad Bird and staff are giving him his shot he deserves.

presto123
06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOO......FREAKIN..............HOOOOOOOOO OOO!!!!!!!!

Day-V
06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
STAY TUNED!

Dr. Awesome
06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Day after announced:

"Indiana Pacers head coach Frank Vogel arrested in cocaine scandal."

Really?
06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
This is kind of weird... How do you go about hiring assistants by saying... I have the job I just have to wait til I get all of my assistants including you... Seems like it would make a assistant think twice about wanting to work with that organization, atleast good assistants that is.

CooperManning
06-10-2011, 05:16 PM
This is kind of weird... How do you go about hiring assistants by saying... I have the job I just have to wait til I get all of my assistants including you... Seems like it would make a assistant think twice about wanting to work with that organization, atleast good assistants that is.

A co-sign from Larry Bird goes a long way, I'm guessing.

90'sNBARocked
06-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Day after announced:

LOL

sources say Zach Randolph set the whole thing up, aided by Shawn Williams

Jammal Tinsley was riding "shotgun"

Really?
06-10-2011, 05:24 PM
A co-sign from Larry Bird goes a long way, I'm guessing.

Forget a co-sign... show me the contract...show me that you are committed to this coach, if you aren't committed to him than why would I believe that you are committed to me. Assistant coaches have to be looking for financial stability... who would you go work for, a guy like Mark Jackson who already has the job, or take the chance on Vogel an the Pacers who haven't even hired him yet... I bet the two head coaches are looking at a lot of the same candidates for their assistant jobs.

I guess I am just not to hopeful with this style of front office moves.

LetsTalkPacers
06-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Day after announced:

"Indiana Pacers head coach Frank Vogel awarded medal for cocaine bust."
Fixed:D

Kid Minneapolis
06-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Forget a co-sign... show me the contract...show me that you are committed to this coach, if you aren't committed to him than why would I believe that you are committed to me. Assistant coaches have to be looking for financial stability... who would you go work for, a guy like Mark Jackson who already has the job, or take the chance on Vogel an the Pacers who haven't even hired him yet... I bet the two head coaches are looking at a lot of the same candidates for their assistant jobs.

I guess I am just not to hopeful with this style of front office moves.

That's the spirit! Let's go Pacers!

pacers74
06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
I hope he gets more than the 1 year deal that was talked about.

vnzla81
06-10-2011, 05:48 PM
So we waited all this time for nothing? :unimpress

Kemo
06-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Awesome news .. Let us hope it is true , and that Frank gets to officially be the next Indiana Pacer's HeadCoach...

This upcoming year will probably be one of the most anticipated Pacer's seasons in awhile for me.

To me, it is the season that we will start to see everything CLICK into place with our player's chemistry and development as a TEAM..

NewEra
06-10-2011, 06:04 PM
Seems to me that Vogel could have been birds 2 or 3 option and he couldnt get his first bigger name options.

Major Cold
06-10-2011, 06:42 PM
No we waited all this time for Vogel. That is why we waited.

Really?
06-10-2011, 07:21 PM
That's the spirit! Let's go Pacers!

Forget about the spirit.. that is just hoping... but we all still do live in reality... and to add if they are just offering a 1 yr contract how does that look to assistant coaches... I believe that it just gives a less desirable situation for a assistant coach to go to...

I am always a pacers fan but I still have to think logically...

Bball
06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe this doesn't mean Vogel to be named HC contingent on his assistant hires but instead means Vogel IS the head coach and as soon as he picks his staff the team will do final negotiations on salary (knowing the full staff at that time and what it will cost) and then announce Vogel an the staff all at once....

As long as they have a ballpark on the salary and budget for the coaching staff to where they know they are close and somewhat flexible then that approach would be workable.

Sookie
06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
:D :D :D :D :D

Where's that happy dance smiley...

Seriously..great decision Larry.

It's not only a good decision for the team, but IMO, Vogel earned a chance, and it's the right thing to do too.

Sandman21
06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
You mean this happy dance?:D
:dance3::dance3::dance3::dance3:

Hicks
06-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Day after announced:

:laugh:

Hicks
06-10-2011, 11:26 PM

Huh?

BillS
06-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Huh?

See, if you take time to think about a decision and then make a decision that everyone wanted you to make, you are clearly stupid for considering your options. It's only if you make an immediate decision that people DON'T like that a quick decision is bad, so you should take the time to not take the time to poll the people who make snap decisions based on things you don't want to make decisions on.

Is that clearer? :hippie:

Shade
06-11-2011, 08:23 AM
In before "Vogel sucks! We should have gotten Mike Brown!"

:p

Shade
06-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Forget about the spirit.. that is just hoping... but we all still do live in reality... and to add if they are just offering a 1 yr contract how does that look to assistant coaches... I believe that it just gives a less desirable situation for a assistant coach to go to...

I am always a pacers fan but I still have to think logically...

Well...not all of us...

NuffSaid
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
LOL

sources say Zach Randolph set the whole thing up, aided by Shawn Williams

Jammal Tinsley was riding "shotgun"

You guys crack me up. :D

LetsTalkPacers
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Well...not all of us...
I know I dont. reality is scary.

Speed
06-15-2011, 07:47 AM
On JMV, Yesterday Rakestraw had Denari on who is going to host the show today (Wed). Rakestraw asked him if they could announce Denari's secret guest. Denari said no, since it depends on other stuff happening? Wonder if they were talking about Vogel and if they are going to announce it today? Just a guess.

pwee31
06-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Every time this thread is bumped, the title makes me think Vogel has named his assistants and the announcement is coming soon.

All this false hope

D-BONE
06-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Dwayne Casey?

I doubt it, but, man, the snail's pace makes me wonder.

Hicks
06-15-2011, 09:07 AM
On JMV, Yesterday Rakestraw had Denari on who is going to host the show today (Wed). Rakestraw asked him if they could announce Denari's secret guest. Denari said no, since it depends on other stuff happening? Wonder if they were talking about Vogel and if they are going to announce it today? Just a guess.

A nice thought.

Then again, maybe it's something like seeing if Clark Kellogg is free.

Tom White
06-15-2011, 09:18 AM
A nice thought.

Then again, maybe it's something like seeing if Clark Kellogg is free.

Or, it may not have to do with the Pacers at all. Perhaps Jim Irsay, depending on how busy he might be with NFL negotiations, or Rick Carlisle, depending on his Mavs schedule. Something like that.

duke dynamite
06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
"Let's do this."

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/3/27/a84/327a845e-2cdf-11e0-8fbf-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4d4619f9f331d.image.jpg

PR07
06-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't the Pacers announce his hiring in a press conference rather than a radio show?

Really?
06-16-2011, 12:44 PM
This is so stupid, lol so umm with Vogel, if he doesn't get the assistants that Bird wants what is the back up plan...? It is getting so late in the offseason that soon a lot of good candidates will already have jobs...

Pacersalltheway10
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I had a dream last night that Terry Porter was announced as the lead assistant coach.

mildlysane
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
In before "Vogel sucks! We should have gotten Mike Brown!"

:p
Vogel sucks! We should have gotten Mike Brown! :eek::laugh:

pacer4ever
06-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Vogel sucks! We should have gotten Mike Brown! :eek::laugh:

:laugh:

graphic-er
06-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Damn, how long does it take to find a veteran assistant coach. Lester Connor? Keith Smart? I mean there must be dozens of guys in this league who have been assistants for a number of years and even brief stints as head coaches.

pacergod2
06-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Patience is a virtue, my friends.

Really?
06-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Damn, how long does it take to find a veteran assistant coach. Lester Connor? Keith Smart? I mean there must be dozens of guys in this league who have been assistants for a number of years and even brief stints as head coaches.

Hard to sell them to be your assistants when you don't even have a job, lol... had to say it...

pacer4ever
06-16-2011, 10:29 PM
I ask if this was a common occurrence in the NBA at my meeting tonight for SMWW and Irving Roland says he wasn't surprised. With a young coach like frank that they would make him get good assistants. He also said Byron Scott couldn't bring any assistants he wanted to Cleveland they chose all but 1 for him. The guy also thinks Mark Jackson will have a very tough adjustment from a broadcaster to coach. He thinks he will probably be very successful because being a player and a coach is very different.

Really?
06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
I ask if this was a common occurrence in the NBA at my meeting tonight for SMWW and Irving Roland says he wasn't surprised. With a young coach like frank that they would make him get good assistants. He also said Byron Scott couldn't bring any assistants he wanted to Cleveland they chose all but 1 for him. The guy also thinks Mark Jackson will have a very tough adjustment from a broadcaster to coach. He thinks he will probably be very successful because being a player and a coach is very different.

Difference seems that the other teams actually hired the coach first... maybe I am wrong though... How is the class going by the way, who id u decide to do your analysis on?

xIndyFan
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
maybe the delay hiring a new coach is more about timing and less about who is hired.

CBA negotiations are not ending anytime soon. hiring a coach is about the only thing a team can do during the lockout. so maybe the pacers are just waiting to take care of the coaching situation later.

it seems obvious that bird is the guy picking players. and seems he doesn't draft players based on the coach or coaching style. so the need for a coach right now is pretty low. seems he is just waiting to take care of this after the draft and during the summer when there is nothing else to do.

Really?
06-17-2011, 08:30 AM
maybe the delay hiring a new coach is more about timing and less about who is hired.

CBA negotiations are not ending anytime soon. hiring a coach is about the only thing a team can do during the lockout. so maybe the pacers are just waiting to take care of the coaching situation later.

it seems obvious that bird is the guy picking players. and seems he doesn't draft players based on the coach or coaching style. so the need for a coach right now is pretty low. seems he is just waiting to take care of this after the draft and during the summer when there is nothing else to do.

I see your point but the only thing is the longer that you wait the more good candidates for head coaches and assistant coaches goes away, with all the jobs that still need to be filled you don't want to end up with the bottom of the barrel as your coaching core especially when you are trying to build on success from last year.

Larry Staverman
06-17-2011, 09:49 AM
The idea that Bird and Morway are wasting time and letting other good candidates get away or that Vogel is jacking around and not getting assistants lined up is nonsense.

These guys know exactly what they are doing and have a plan they are executing.

My guess is they have pretty much verbally assured Vogel the job is his and he has most if not all of his assistants lined up but may be waiting on the final word from someone. Most likely they are waiting for a specific time to announce to the public for reasons not known to fans but strategically chosen by the front office.

Just because fans are not informed of the every day inside operations of the franchise does not mean that they are not hard at work taking care of business.

Speed
06-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I think its a financial issue possibly too, why pay Terry Porter now, when you can wait. Seems petty, but no one knows how long the lockout will last.

wintermute
06-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I think its a financial issue possibly too, why pay Terry Porter now, when you can wait. Seems petty, but no one knows how long the lockout will last.

It's easy enough though, to write contracts that say coaches don't get paid during the lockout, or are paid just 10% or whatever. Other teams have done this apparently.

Really?
06-17-2011, 10:36 AM
The idea that Bird and Morway are wasting time and letting other good candidates get away or that Vogel is jacking around and not getting assistants lined up is nonsense.

These guys know exactly what they are doing and have a plan they are executing.

My guess is they have pretty much verbally assured Vogel the job is his and he has most if not all of his assistants lined up but may be waiting on the final word from someone. Most likely they are waiting for a specific time to announce to the public for reasons not known to fans but strategically chosen by the front office.

Just because fans are not informed of the every day inside operations of the franchise does not mean that they are not hard at work taking care of business.

They are letting good candidates get away... If you are trying to line him up assistants then sign him and work with him to get it done, whats up with all the games if he is "pretty much verbally assured"...

Lol I don't even thing it is that strategic, if he has all but one then I am pretty sure if that falls through then u can get another... from what Bird is saying it doesn't seem like they are not releasing it to the public at a specific time because of strategy, but just that he is waiting for Vogel to get his assistants.

We don't need to know the everything from the inside operations but it seems pretty simple, u make it publicly known that u are going to hire this guy once he gets assistants that u like, and if not I guess u have to go for another coach, and by waiting around candidates that you were looking at have already taken other jobs..

The Sleeze
06-17-2011, 11:27 AM
I think it is a combination of Larry Bird wanting to be in complete control of the draft, and Herb wanting to wait to see about the lockout.

NBA.com - League sources believe the Pacers' interim coach Frank Vogel will ultimately get the job on a permanent basis after leading Indiana to the playoffs and a good showing in the first round against Chicago. But he will have to change his staff, with the idea being to hire younger assistants who will reinforce the more positive message Vogel used after taking over for Jim O'Brien. There is certainly no hurry to reach a deal with anybody in Indiana, though, by owner Herb Simon, with the lockout looming.

Really?
06-17-2011, 11:32 AM
I think it is a combination of Larry Bird wanting to be in complete control of the draft, and Herb wanting to wait to see about the lockout.

NBA.com - League sources believe the Pacers' interim coach Frank Vogel will ultimately get the job on a permanent basis after leading Indiana to the playoffs and a good showing in the first round against Chicago. But he will have to change his staff, with the idea being to hire younger assistants who will reinforce the more positive message Vogel used after taking over for Jim O'Brien. There is certainly no hurry to reach a deal with anybody in Indiana, though, by owner Herb Simon, with the lockout looming.

Humm that is interesting... different approach than what has been talked about. especially with the younger assistants... I think this makes more sense than a lot of things I have heard... thanks

Heisenberg
06-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Humm that is interesting... different approach than what has been talked about. especially with the younger assistants... I think this makes more sense than a lot of things I have heard... thanks
Really? Makes no sense to me. We all know Larry's disposition to structured practices and players working hard, hiring some cheerleaders isn't going to lead to that. Maybe someone got wind of Frank liking JB Bickerstaff, who's young and known as a player's coach, and just ran with it.

ECKrueger
06-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Check out PG's twitter picture, he stated once again that he is #teamvogel.

O'Braindead
06-17-2011, 05:44 PM
It's been a week.