PDA

View Full Version : Health battles of Stuart Scott and Dr Jack Ramsay put Finals in perspective

Basketball Fan
06-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Sports Media: Health battles of Scott, Ramsay put Finals in perspective

Photos
BY BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com
Behind the scenes, two prominent announcers at these NBA Finals are waging a battle with far greater consequences than anything on the court.

ABC’s Stuart Scott and ESPN Radio’s Jack Ramsay have dealt with cancer before, and they’re fighting it again. Both are undergoing chemotherapy, with Ramsay receiving his through oral medication.

Scott, 45, declined to discuss the nature of his cancer, beyond saying, “I got the tumors out in January. Now chemotherapy is killing anything that’s in there.”

Ramsay, 86, is battling brain cancer, which he confronted in 2006. “I’ve had it all over my body over the years – foot, calf, groin, lungs,” he said. “I’ve been without it two years, but it returned in March.”

But there’s not a smidgen of self-pity. “I’m 86,” he said. “I’m fortunate to be alive and working and doing something I like to do. You take what life gives you.”

Ramsay – who takes chemotherapy 21 consecutive days, followed by seven days off – still maintains an exercise regimen that would exhaust some men half his age: “I do running in place, some stretches, crunches, push-ups. When the Finals are over, I’ll get back to swimming in the Gulf or the Atlantic.”

Though private about the nature of his cancer, Scott has been very public about his ordeal on Twitter, even tweeting during chemotherapy.

He receives chemo every other week, including a session the day before Game 1 of the Finals. The next day, he tweeted, “Hope chemo queasy subsides a little. Not feeling great but it’s game time. Push ahead.”

Scott – who battled cancer in 2007 (discovered during an emergency appendectomy) – didn’t consider taking time off: “What am I going to do? Lay at home? I’ve got to live my life, and the biggest reason is my two daughters [ages 11 and 16]. I don’t want them to be scared. …

“Chemotherapy [stinks], but I think I handle it as well as, or better, than anyone. The first thing I do after chemotherapy is work out. I train in mixed martial arts. It’s my way of saying, ‘Look, I’m not going to let this get to me.’ ”

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/09/2258833/health-battles-of-scott-ramsay.html#ixzz1Ou91qVmN