PDA

View Full Version : Kelvin Sampson allowed to interview with the Pistons

Basketball Fan
06-10-2011, 12:49 AM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/06/09/pistons-sampson.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Milwaukee Bucks have given the Detroit Pistons permission to interview assistant Kelvin Sampson for their vacant head coaching job, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Thursday.

The person requested anonymity because of the confidential nature of the Pistons' search.

Sampson has been an assistant to Bucks head coach Scott Skiles since May 2008. Sampson joined Skiles' staff after his tenure as the head coach at Indiana University ended in scandal.

Yahoo! Sports reported earlier Thursday that the Pistons had permission to speak to Sampson.

Detroit fired coach John Kuester on Sunday, just days after new owner Tom Gores completed an agreement to buy the team.

Kuester was 57-107 over two seasons with Detroit, which failed to make the postseason in consecutive years for the first time since missing the playoffs three straight times from 1993-95.

Sampson has said he'll likely never coach in college again, and has set his sights on becoming a head coach in the NBA.

``You never say never,'' Sampson told AP in April 2009, when asked about a potential return to college. ``But I'm really excited about the NBA, and I'm excited about the possibility of becoming a head coach in the NBA one day, maybe. And if it works out, it works out. If it does, it does. If it doesn't, it doesn't.''

Sampson reportedly attracted interest from the Houston Rockets, who hired Kevin McHale last week.

Sampson resigned as the Hoosiers' coach in February 2008 and accepted a $750,000 buyout after an NCAA report accused him of major rules violations.

In 2009, Sampson unsuccessfully appealed NCAA penalties that essentially bar him from coaching in college until 2013. The NCAA penalized Sampson for taking part in more than 100 impermissible calls to recruits while coaching the Hoosiers.

Eleazar
06-10-2011, 02:03 AM
He is a good coach, and really wasn't a good fit for college anyways from what I hear. I personally don't think making too many phone calls is that big of deal, so I don't hold that against him. My problem with him as a college coach has to do with something Gordon said about him. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something along the lines of him being too worried about winning to take care of the drug problems in the locker room. I take it to also mean he cared too much about winning to care about his players getting good grades. To me that screams good NBA coach, but bad college coach. In college you need a coach who isn't just about winning, but also about helping his players to grow and mature as men. The NBA that kind of stuff doesn't really matter as much.

travmil
06-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Any team needing a disciplinarian is going to be sorely disappointed in Sampson. If what Gordon said about the drug problem is true, and Sampson let that slide in college, what will he allow in the pros?

mb221
06-10-2011, 12:03 PM
It really boggles the mind that he can go from running a program into the ground to moving up the food chain.

Kstat
06-10-2011, 12:04 PM
It really boggles the mind that he can go from running a program into the ground to moving up the food chain.

Welcome to the NBA.

cdash
06-10-2011, 12:20 PM
He's all yours, Detroit.

Kstat
06-10-2011, 12:24 PM
He's all yours, Detroit.

I'm in no rush to anoint the guy, but I didn't think he was a bad coach at OU or IU, from an X's and O's standpoint.

Would I want him coaching Michigan? Hell no. In the NBA? Might be a different story. Poppovich and Skiles were both quick to hire him and praised him when he got there. His players rave about him. It's something I'd have to think about.

BPump33
06-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm in no rush to anoint the guy, but I didn't think he was a bad coach at OU or IU, from an X's and O's standpoint.

Would I want him coaching Michigan? Hell no. In the NBA? Might be a different story. Poppovich and Skiles were both quick to hire him and praised him when he got there. His players rave about him. It's something I'd have to think about.

I'll admit to loving the guy prior to all the shenanigans coming out. I thought he was a great coach and whether most IU fans will admit it or not, so did they. We use to chant his name and all kinds of people bought the denim/tie t-shirt. I don't like the guy now, but there was a point I thought he was a very good coach.

I think he will probably do pretty well in the NBA. He's also very easy for me to hate, so Detroit would be a nice fit for him. :D

Roaming Gnome
06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't mind "denim shirt" getting the job in Detroit just because it would be kind of fun to watch the IU honks come into the Fieldhouse just to voice their dislike of the guy. It would be just like old times when Lawrence Funderburke use to come in to play the Pacers.

cdash
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM

I think he's a good coach, but he's not good enough for me to be upset about it. Plus I think Detroit is still a mess anyways so to me, it doesn't really matter who they get to coach, they are still going to struggle quite a bit.

Sandman21
06-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Man, do I really need anymore reasons to hate Detroit? :D

Major Cold
06-10-2011, 01:35 PM
He would be a good fit. He was more in the mold of a NBA coach than anything. IU fans why are you still hating. Its not like he left us sanctioned and barren of talent...wait he did.

Justin Tyme
06-10-2011, 01:56 PM
He's all yours, Detroit.

With my and many others blessing!