View Full Version : Once again....Pacers get no respect

jkimb950
10-13-2004, 03:43 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/previews/indiana.htm

(how do I make it a hyperlink?)

hyperlink?

ChicagoJ
10-13-2004, 03:48 PM
use [ url] and [/ url] (without the spaces) around the link.

scar
10-13-2004, 03:52 PM
I just love how they always talk about Ron Artest reverting back to his old ways. They seem to think that if he does that, Rick will just continue to play him like Isiah did.

And I also love how they like to talk about Tinsley being so weak offensively, but never talking about how solid of a defender he is and how he can shut down people like, I don't know, Chauncey Billups.

This article is just a repeat of what people have been saying about Indiana for years. They never talk about how Tins is one of the top play makers, they just want to talk about his lack of offense. I for one, am happy we have Tins and there aren't a whole heck of a lot of point guards out there I would rather have.

ChicagoJ
10-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Here's the article...

HoopsHype - NBA Season Previews - Indiana Pacers
Indiana Pacers (61-21) ....

ADDITIONS: John Edwards (Kent State), Desmon Farmer (USC), Eddie Gill (New
Jersey), David Harrison (Colorado), Stephen Jackson (Atlanta) and Rashad
Wright (Georgia).

SUBTRACTIONS: Kenny Anderson (Atlanta), Jamison Brewer (New York), Primoz
Brezec (Charlotte) and Al Harrington (Atlanta).

STRENGTHS: Great defense ... Ron Artest can shut down pretty much any
perimeter player in the league ... Jermaine O'Neal is an intimidating
presence in the paint ... Team defense is very good ... The offense is not
that good, but both O'Neal and Artest can score in bunches when inspired
... Outside shooting will improve with the addition of Stephen Jackson ...
They are loaded at the wings and have a lot more size than the average
team in the Eastern Conference ... Very consistent squad ... No room for
stupid mistakes with a coach like Rick Carlisle.

WEAKNESSES: Point guard play remains a big issue ... Jamaal Tinsley is
just no match for the elite point guards in the Eastern Conference ... He
is often erratic and his jump shot is usually off ... Obvious weakness at
center ... Jeff Foster is a serviceable big man, but hardly a starter in
this league ... Scot Pollard and David Harrison are not expected to bring
much to the table ... Ron Artest doesn't seem to realize Jermaine O'Neal
is the first offensive option on the team ... He makes too many bad
decisions on the offensive end ... Could become a distraction for the team
if he reverts to his old ways ... The Pacers barely get easy baskets in
the open court ... They almost never try to run the fast break ... Their
halfcourt offense might not be a beautiful thing to see some nights.
PROJECTION: 2nd in the Central Division / 4th in the Eastern Conference

Tell us what you think about this preview. E-mail us at
HoopsHype@HoopsHype.com

EDIT - I don't see where this is "no respect". Its a reasonably well-balanced assessement. Perhaps a little harsh on Tinsley but he's got to prove he can maintain his regular season/ November play when it counts in the playoffs. Second in the division seems right to me (we do play in the same division as The Champs, so what do you expect?)
Ooops. The boss interrputed me mid-sentence.

fwpacerfan
10-13-2004, 04:04 PM
I kind of like that the Pacers don't get much respect. I think the team rallies around the 'underdog' role. It's been obvious in the preseason stuff I've read so far that the journalists are still re-hashing each other's articles and NO ONE has actually done any of their own research.

Eindar
10-13-2004, 04:05 PM
4th!? ROFL

Behind Detroit, Miami, and....who? Miami is laughable enough, but the next set of playoff-caliber teams is Milwaulkee, New York, and I guess New Jersey, Washington, and Cleveland?

I'm guessing the idiot who wrote this thinks the Knicks will have a better record than us at the end of the regular season. Maybe IT wrote this article.

scar
10-13-2004, 04:08 PM
4th!? ROFL

Behind Detroit, Miami, and....who? Miami is laughable enough, but the next set of playoff-caliber teams is Milwaulkee, New York, and I guess New Jersey, Washington, and Cleveland?

I'm guessing the idiot who wrote this thinks the Knicks will have a better record than us at the end of the regular season. Maybe IT wrote this article.

Keep in mind that whoever wins their weak division will have a spot ahead of whoever comes in 2nd in the Central. Indy could be 4th and be the 2nd best team in the whole league. This is something I think should be fixed by the NBA.

SkipperZ
10-13-2004, 04:10 PM
i think they meant 4th seed as in playoff seedings.

I dont think anyone expects us to actually be a worse team or get a worse record than anyone other than detroit or miami this year in the east.

DisplacedKnick
10-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah - they better mean seeding. In The EC there are 3 teams and then the pack.

Actually, IMO there are two teams, then Miami, then the pack.

ChicagoJ
10-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Keep in mind that whoever wins their weak division will have a spot ahead of whoever comes in 2nd in the Central. Indy could be 4th and be the 2nd best team in the whole league. This is something I think should be fixed by the NBA.

Fixed? This is exactly what they want - for a team's "division championship" to have some meaning. I don't think the league would view this as a "problem" that needs to be fixed.

Arcadian
10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
I enjoyed the line about Artest "Does crazy things very often." Do they mean sky diving, running with bulls, selling appliances at low prices?

TheSauceMaster
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
use [ url] and [/ url] (without the spaces) around the link.

If you use firefox get this BBCode extension http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=128&vid=870

Then all you have to do is right click and do whatever you like ;)

ON Topic :

We never get any respect why should it changed :confused: I like being the underdog , like a vulture circling it's prey waiting for the right moment to attack. :devil:

Lord Helmet
10-13-2004, 05:32 PM
We will prove people wrong again this year don't worry.Anyway this type of "No respect" just makes us play even harder.And don't think we don't have people that like us, just ask Sir Charles he picked us to win the East 2 years ago :o That is one reason I love TNT because we don't get dissed as long as Charles is in the room. :laugh: :cool:

Unclebuck
10-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Reading that article if I did not know better I would have thought the Pacers won maybe 45 games last season.

Why can't people see how good a defender Foster really is. Maybe because they don't watch the games

Homedoggie, I'll be the first to admit that Tinsley's defense was much better last seaon, but it is still below average.

scar
10-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Then why is it that whenever we play Detroit, Billups has such a hard time? I always thought he was going a decent job. I love Tins. He has enough talent that he can penetrate with sub speed without getting hacked. He has an amazing ability with the ball. The last person the Pacers had that could even drive was Travis Best.

scar
10-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Oh, and I don't mean disrespect to Ron Artest's driving abilities going to the hoop, I mean Best was able to dribble his way into the lane, where as Ron bulldozes. :p

Natston
10-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Maybe because they don't watch the games

A lot of sport journalists don't watch the games. At best they go off of what others tell them and they don't watch the games either.

scar
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Maybe because they don't watch the games

A lot of sport journalists don't watch the games. At best they go off of what others tell them and they don't watch the games either.

Yeah, that's very true. And very evident at times. They like to go by steriotypes. Stephen A. Smith does it, when he calls the Spurs a boring team with no enthusiasm, going no where.

ESPN basketball converage is nothing compaired to TNT's Magic Johnson, Ernie Johnson, Kenny Smith, and Charles Barkley. I think most of all, I like how they keep it real. They have fun with it. And Barkley has been a real Pacer pusher for quite some time. I remember when the Pacers faced the Sixers with Philly being the 1st seed and Indy being the 8th. Barkley said Indy would win that first game. And they did.

But Barkley isn't always right. When he's wrong, it's funny. Like saying Yao Ming will never score more than 20 points per game and then having to kiss a donkey. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

dipperdunk
10-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Why can't people see how good a defender Foster really is. Maybe because they don't watch the games

Guys like Foster never seem to get their due. Is he an elite or all-star center? No.

But he does bring many intangibles to the game that are essential for winning teams. The 1983 76ers were loaded but they had an unknown player named Marc Iavaroni who was the starting power forward who did all the little things to help the team win but if you ask some old time 76ers fans they will probably tell you incorrectly that Bobby Jones was the starter. Guys like that never get the credit but are a vital part of championship caliber teams; Kurt Rambis and AC Green were the same type of players with the great Jabbar/Magic/Worthy Lakers teams.

I can't remember the exact playoff game last season I think it may have been game 1 against the Pistons but in the last 2 minutes of the game Foster had a huge offensive rebound on hustle and on the same offensive possession he set a pick to free up Reggie for a game winning three pointer. On the next defensive possession he closed out on a 3 pt. attempt and got a hand in the shooters face to force the miss. The only thing that will show up in the box score is the rebound but those type of plays are the key difference between 60 win teams and 40 win teams.

dipperdunk
10-13-2004, 07:34 PM
Sorry double post.

SoupIsGood
10-13-2004, 09:34 PM
If Foster averaged over 1.5 blocks a game he would be seen as an excellent defensive player by the media. By since he doesn't, he sucks.

ChicagoJ
10-13-2004, 09:54 PM
I'm still bitter that the 1999 team was widely believed during the lockout, preseason and early in the shortened regular season to be the best team in the league but didn't come close to winning a championship.

Kegboy
10-14-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm still bitter that the 1999 team was widely believed during the lockout, preseason and early in the shortened regular season to be the best team in the league but didn't come close to winning a championship.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

In my lifetime, we've been the favorites, the media's darling, once, and only once, in '99. Everybody was talking about all the players working out together during the lockout and how, with Jordan gone, we were gonna roll through the league. And we blew it. Absolutely blew it.

I will NEVER complain about us not getting enough hype. About the only way you can motivate multi-millionaire players these days is to play the underdog card. IMHO, the more we're dissed, the better.

clownskull
10-14-2004, 01:16 AM

You took the words right out of my mouth.

In my lifetime, we've been the favorites, the media's darling, once, and only once, in '99. Everybody was talking about all the players working out together during the lockout and how, with Jordan gone, we were gonna roll through the league. And we blew it. Absolutely blew it.

I will NEVER complain about us not getting enough hype. About the only way you can motivate multi-millionaire players these days is to play the underdog card. IMHO, the more we're dissed, the better.

i gotta agree there. sometimes i get annoyed by the lack of respect the pacers get. however, i find it all the more satisfying and funny when all the media "experts" on t.v. and in the press make stupid comments about the team and are proven wrong.