PDA

View Full Version : Vogel Update

wseward
06-09-2011, 07:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApJmFkGP8ztwBtwzgaTa.0e8vLYF?slug=aw-wojnarowski_indiana_pacers_frank_vogel_060911

Pacerfan
06-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Nice find. Here's the text.

Pacers look for help for Vogel

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
17 minutes ago

The Indiana Pacers have made significant progress toward deciding to make interim Frank Vogel the permanent head coach while working to strengthen his grip on the locker room, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

No final decision has been reached, but sources said most of the hurdles have been cleared for Vogel to be offered a multi-year contract in the near future.

Bird and Vogel have met several times in recent weeks, and have targeted several assistant coaches – including Terry Porter and J.B. Bickerstaff – that the Pacers would like to surround Vogel.

Indiana hasn’t completely ruled out waiting longer and meeting with outside candidates, but management and Vogel have been increasingly in agreement on how to proceed forward together. Dallas Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle has urged Bird – a close friend of his – to consider assistant coach Dwane Casey, but that appears a more unlikely route.

The biggest issue had been the organization’s concern over Vogel’s ability to police the locker room and command the respect of players. Vogel was promoted to interim coach after the firing of head coach Jim O’Brien in February.

Despite a 20-18 finish to the regular season and a competitive first-round playoff loss to the top-seeded Chicago Bulls, there was slippage on issues like punctuality and discipline, league sources said.

To remedy that, Vogel has worked with management to target several strong assistant coaches, including Porter and Bickerstaff. Vogel is the league’s youngest coach at 37, and doesn’t have the stature that might otherwise command easier respect.

The Pacers want vocal, hands-on assistants to work with Vogel, sources said. Longtime assistant Dan Burke is expected to be a holdover to the next coaching staff.

The organization was sympathetic to Vogel’s plight once he took over the team, because he had worked quickly to make substantial X’s and O’s changes on offense and defense. He had inherited O’Brien’s relatively unimposing staff as his own, and it was natural that a byproduct might be some setbacks in the locker room.

Pacerfan
06-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Hmm...he didn't mention Frank Hamblen?

Ozwalt72
06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Hmm...he didn't mention Frank Hamblen?

My guess is Porter and Bickerstaff were mentioned because they are fairly well known, well Bickerstaff's pa is. Also, Hamblen might have just been a throw-in because the report that mentioned him was based out of LA iirc.

PacerHound
06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
If true I could not be more pleased. Great News!

Haywoode Workman
06-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I hope Casey gets at least an interview.

Unclebuck
06-09-2011, 09:41 PM
There is so much to be read between the lines in that article

PR07
06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
There is so much to be read between the lines in that article

Vogel's a softy with the players?

Kid Minneapolis
06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Vogel's a softy with the players?

Vogel had to use JOB's softy assistants.

Heisenberg
06-09-2011, 10:04 PM
So'd JOB and the dude guys always seemed to be in line. Jus'sayin.

CableKC
06-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Or that Vogel himself was a softy....isn't it as much of the Coach's responsibility to police the Players as it is the Assistant's responsibility?

I can understand the need to have a strong assistant Coach to drive the defense.......but what I'd always thought that it should be the Coach that is the one that drives discipline within the locker room....I'd hope that it wouldn't be something that the Head Coach would have to rely on the Assistant Coaches to enforce.

Merz
06-09-2011, 10:37 PM
So'd JOB and the dude guys always seemed to be in line. Jus'sayin.

In line and losing.

RamBo_Lamar
06-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Enough already. Lets keeps things moving in the right direction while things are
starting to look good and not screw it up.

Frank Vogel for the win.

:dance::dance::dance:

Heisenberg
06-09-2011, 10:49 PM
In line and losing.
Clearly. Which isn't the point.

PR07
06-09-2011, 11:02 PM

The head coach is the leader of the staff, if he can't instill discipline, how do you expect his assistants with lesser titles to? That's a cop out.

Kegboy
06-10-2011, 12:10 AM
The head coach is the leader of the staff, if he can't instill discipline, how do you expect his assistants with lesser titles to? That's a cop out.

It's the ebb and flow of player coach, followed by disciplinarian, and back again. Happens with every team in the league.

Kid Minneapolis
06-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Oh come on, he was thrown in interim after his boss got fired, how easy do you expect him to come in and demand respect of a bunch of other assistants that just the day prior were his equal, and most of which are older than him? He's 37, has "interim" in front of his title, has no prior coaching experience --- of course he struggled to come in and be like, "Alright, listen up, noobs, respect my authority!!"

That was not a great situation for Vogel, a very hard position to say "alright guys, I'm the boss now." He got the job done, anyway. You guys are just looking for things to nit-pick.

I have little doubt that Vogel, with a staff of his own, interim tag removed, and a playoff series under his belt, will do just fine in the "commanding respect and instilling discipline" department. And it's great to hear that he's actually targetting assistants to promote that very thing.

Young
06-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Being concerned about his ability to police the locker room. While I have jumped on the Vogel bandwagon this is a concern for me.

Being able to "police" your employees is a must for any type of manager and lets face it...that's what a coach is...like a manager. This is so important over the entire season. It's a long season.

On the other hand...how much does the locker room need to be "policed" outside of maybe Lance? Are there major issues in there that we don't know about?

imawhat
06-10-2011, 01:01 AM
I think a lot of stuff is getting blown out of proportion.

Anyone who's had a big promotion at one company can probably attest to this. No matter how much respect you have, it's very difficult to go from a position of assisting to a position of power. You have employees who've been interacting with you for 2-3 years that now have to listen to your orders.

It's very difficult for the coach AND the players to adjust to a change like that. I really don't understand what people were expecting out of Vogel after three months on the new job.

It (respect from players) appears to be enough of an issue to be a sticking point for his hire. But from all accounts it sounded like he was making the adjustment by the end of the season. And if the playoffs are any indication, the players were listening and playing for Vogel more than at any point in Indiana since 2005.

Eleazar
06-10-2011, 01:56 AM
There are two ways a leader can instill discipline, by himself or through an assistant. The head coach may not be very skilled in the discipline area, but if he has an assistant that is but is still clearly below the head it can be just as if not more effective. To me the only thing to read between the lines is that Vogel is a humble guy who is aware of his weaknesses and short comings, and is willing to go out and find assistants who are capable of making up for those weaknesses. Taking into affect the playoffs, the only thing to read between the lines here is that Vogel is a very good leader.

In the work place who do you do your best work for? The egotistical, totalitarian boss who is always on you for doing something wrong or just not being more efficient, or the humble, respectful boss who pushes you but respects you and realizes he needs your help? I am willing to bet that 95% of people will go with the humble, respectful boss.

SycamoreKen
06-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Have TPTB helped him at all by letting this drag out? If they doubted he could do the job then get someone else. If he is your guy then get behind him quick and show the team you have his back no matter what. They are not sending the message they trust him in my eyes.

D squared fan
06-10-2011, 02:29 AM
The real question is does Bird really trust Vogel and is he.just praised cause the players hated JOB so much? And he was just a breath of fresh air? They want veteran coaches around Vogel n is Talkn only.giving him a one year deal. Sounds like no faith.to me. Will they.fire him midseason. If team sucks? N replace him wth one of the.new veteran assistants? Casey.is.knowned for Defense and good X and O. And he.looks like a disciplinary type coach that a young talented team needs!! Just adding my 2 cents!!

Indra
06-10-2011, 02:47 AM
The real question is does Bird really trust Vogel and is he.just praised cause the players hated JOB so much? And he was just a breath of fresh air? They want veteran coaches around Vogel n is Talkn only.giving him a one year deal. Sounds like no faith.to me. Will they.fire him midseason. If team sucks? N replace him wth one of the.new veteran assistants? Casey.is.knowned for Defense and good X and O. And he.looks like a disciplinary type coach that a young talented team needs!! Just adding my 2 cents!!

Was this post a transmission from the moon?

Midcoasted
06-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Hire him already! All this talk about experience isn't needed. Proven coaches fail more times than not. You hire Vogel because he proven he can take us to the playoffs and compete. No proven coach has show they can do that with this team, so it's a risk you gotta take to hire the unproven guy. Who can prove to me that a guy in Vogel's position will fail more times than not? I don't think it's happened enough to get a fair equation once you factor in all the variables.

Vogel has already shown he can get our young guys to compete and they believe in him. If Lance Stephenson supports him, that speaks volumes. I'm sure half this board wants to see Lance fry, but it's obvious Vogel has gained his respect. Maybe Lance needs a guy like Vogel. To me Lance Stephenson has all the tools and talent to become one of the most feared combo guards in the league. He proved during our losing streak he is the best passer on the team. It will just take another summer, a lot of hard work and no blips on the radar and Vogel will find a way to incorporate him and win.

He also matches up very well defending other point guards. My thought when people call him "too slow" is when half the board was calling Paul George "too slow" to guard shooting guards. And he defended the MVP POINT GUARD better than he had been defended all year in a one on one match-up.

Anyways hire Vogel! Pray for Lance!

Unclebuck
06-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Oh come on, he was thrown in interim after his boss got fired, how easy do you expect him to come in and demand respect of a bunch of other assistants that just the day prior were his equal, and most of which are older than him? He's 37, has "interim" in front of his title, has no prior coaching experience --- of course he struggled to come in and be like, "Alright, listen up, noobs, respect my authority!!"

That was not a great situation for Vogel, a very hard position to say "alright guys, I'm the boss now." He got the job done, anyway. You guys are just looking for things to nit-pick.

I have little doubt that Vogel, with a staff of his own, interim tag removed, and a playoff series under his belt, will do just fine in the "commanding respect and instilling discipline" department. And it's great to hear that he's actually targetting assistants to promote that very thing.

OK, those are good points, but they have to be balanced against the fact that the players were sick of JOB and were going to give the next coach whoever he was a fair chance. I don't think it was that hard of a position to come into. A number of assistant coaches became the head coach (of the same team) in the middle of the season and had good success - see JVG and Lawrence Frank.

Bottomline: I was not too impressed with Vogel during the regular season, if that were the only barometer, no way I would want him back. The playoffs impressed me and that is why I am OK with him coming back

Larry Staverman
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
When Carlisle was here it was said that Mike Brown was the assistant coach who handled the players which makes sense because after he went to Cleveland all hell broke loose.

Hicks
06-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Bottom line to me is if they didn't think he was up to it, they would never hire him.

I think they're going to hire him.

PR07
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM

I don't really consider it nit-picking. It's a very real problem. Yes, we'll get a better idea when Vogel actually has higher quality assistants, but some of you act like Vogel is a young Clark Kent and simply can do no wrong.

He's a young coach with charisma (which I think all of us like), but outside of an entertaining first round playoff exit, what has he proven? That he can out-coach Jim O'Brien? That he can bring players together (many of whom probably despised O'Brien's rotations and schemes)? These were two important things, but I think there are a lot of coaches who could've come in and very well have done the same thing.

D-BONE
06-10-2011, 09:03 AM
From what we're hearing, I'm assuming it's just a question of when for Vogel. The fact that it's dragged out to this point, though, still plants a seed of doubt named Dwayne Casey, which I'm not sure I'd be disappointed in. Kind of ambivalent about Frank, mainly for reasons PRO7 brings up above.

Tom White
06-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Talkn only.giving him a one year deal. Sounds like no faith.to me.

The article says they are talking (as opposed to talkn) about a multi-year deal.

Also, concerning the discipline angle, perhaps he did not get any support from the assistants in keeping players in line. After all, JOB had brought in two very inexperienced assistants who may have felt loyalty to JOB, or just may not have done well at having Vogel's back in some of these situations. Like anything else, discipline is a team effort

Speed
06-10-2011, 09:08 AM
To me, his enthusiasm, positive vibe, belief in the players (especially the youth), extensive background in breakdown Xs and Os on tape, work ethic...... all outweigh the question of rather he can be a disciplinarian.

Ya, I'm glad they are aware of the issue and are addressing it.

However, bottom line, I want the young players to play and develop and have their minds right, Frank can and will do that.

Kid Minneapolis
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
I think you all will, in time, realize your worries were unfounded after we get into this season (if it happens) and give Vogel full reigns and his own coaching staff. I recognize some very strong qualities in Vogel. I'm personally not concerned about any of his traits. Honestly. There's nothing about him that makes me worry. I don't even worry about discipline. The circumstances he faced, including an abrupt role change, a disheartened group of players, a losing culture, a group of assistants that he inherited who also probly wanted the job, an interim tag, young players who are still gaining their professionalism, and being young himself --- all factored in to that more than anything. As time goes on, he will establish the respect and discipline that you all believe he lacks. I don't see a guy that will let people walk all over him when I observe that man. He gets the job done.

He makes good game-to-game and in-game adjustments, he puts together good gameplans, he instills confidence in his players, the players like him, he believes he can beat any team out there, his system is perfect for Indiana basketball fans, he interacts well with the media, represents the team in a positive light, and spins basketballs on his toothbrush every morning with Brad Stevens and Chuck Norris.

He's the total package. :) Honestly, I really feel we found a diamond-in-the-rough and he's going to be a great coach in this league and for this team. It was like drafting the Reggie Miller of coaches. Doubters at first, but much love in the end. It was like... destiny... like a.... Convergence in The Force. I sense good times in the future.

grace
06-10-2011, 11:51 AM
It's the ebb and flow of player coach, followed by disciplinarian, and back again. Happens with every team in the league.

Happens in football too.

PacerGuy
06-10-2011, 12:02 PM
M.Wells just said on 1070 that it is up to Vogel to hire his assistants & get the list to L.Bird to approve & take to Herb for approval. I was kinda surprised that L.Bird is not more involve in getting Frank some help. Per Wells, Vogel is the one holding this up a bit by not locking in his assistants. If that's the case, Frank needs to get off the pot & get going, or D.Casey will get this job.

BillS
06-10-2011, 12:35 PM
M.Wells just said on 1070 that it is up to Vogel to hire his assistants & get the list to L.Bird to approve & take to Herb for approval. I was kinda surprised that L.Bird is not more involve in getting Frank some help. Per Wells, Vogel is the one holding this up a bit by not locking in his assistants. If that's the case, Frank needs to get off the pot & get going, or D.Casey will get this job.

That may be Bird's point - if Frank can bring in the assistants on his own, that speaks to his abilities to manage a strong staff. If he can't, well, that says something, too.

Sookie
06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
That may be Bird's point - if Frank can bring in the assistants on his own, that speaks to his abilities to manage a strong staff. If he can't, well, that says something, too.

It says he's a first year head coach, who won't be coaching a contending team in a luxurious area?

I think Frank is charismatic..but I don't know if he's so charismatic that he can convince some experienced "great" assistant coaches to come coach the developing Pacers without help from someone like Bird.

Since86
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
OK, those are good points, but they have to be balanced against the fact that the players were sick of JOB and were going to give the next coach whoever he was a fair chance. I don't think it was that hard of a position to come into. A number of assistant coaches became the head coach (of the same team) in the middle of the season and had good success - see JVG and Lawrence Frank.

Bottomline: I was not too impressed with Vogel during the regular season, if that were the only barometer, no way I would want him back. The playoffs impressed me and that is why I am OK with him coming back

It's always a hard position to walk into. People always test limits and boundaries whenever they have a new person in power that they are under.

You gotta remember that athletes are a bunch of prima-donna, alpha dog, egocentric, narassistic guys. Commanding respect from a guy who is getting paid 10times more than you is hard to come by.

You either have to have a resume, or an iron fist.

BillS
06-10-2011, 01:33 PM
It says he's a first year head coach, who won't be coaching a contending team in a luxurious area?

I think Frank is charismatic..but I don't know if he's so charismatic that he can convince some experienced "great" assistant coaches to come coach the developing Pacers without help from someone like Bird.

Point taken, but I would respond by saying if there's another candidate out there who either has the experience or can assemble the appropriate team, wouldn't that be a reason to hire that guy no matter what the reason Vogel had trouble recruiting?

I mean, suppose Bird helps get the assistants together for a multi-year contract and then leaves after this next season. If Vogel isn't the one holding them together, who is and where are we?

This is at a certain level the same as eliminating a Top Chef contestant because there was more out-of-place sauce on the plate than anyone else. At some point, the decision comes down to things that might seem nitpicky but are indeed differences that can matter.

I like Frank, but at the end of the day I want a coach and staff that will be the best for this team now, not to take a chance and perhaps stall further improvement of the team while we wait for the coach to catch up in experience. If he can get the staff together, it's his job to lose. I think that's fair enough.

graphic-er
06-10-2011, 02:10 PM
The idea that Larry Bird is not helping Vogel find assistants is very disappointing to me. I mean thats just borderline unacceptable not to help your possible first year coach with something like this.

Sookie
06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
Point taken, but I would respond by saying if there's another candidate out there who either has the experience or can assemble the appropriate team, wouldn't that be a reason to hire that guy no matter what the reason Vogel had trouble recruiting?

I mean, suppose Bird helps get the assistants together for a multi-year contract and then leaves after this next season. If Vogel isn't the one holding them together, who is and where are we?

This is at a certain level the same as eliminating a Top Chef contestant because there was more out-of-place sauce on the plate than anyone else. At some point, the decision comes down to things that might seem nitpicky but are indeed differences that can matter.

I like Frank, but at the end of the day I want a coach and staff that will be the best for this team now, not to take a chance and perhaps stall further improvement of the team while we wait for the coach to catch up in experience. If he can get the staff together, it's his job to lose. I think that's fair enough.

Okay, first of all..I want to say..I find it ironic that the posters who were Obie supporters seem to be the most against hiring Frank. Just something kind of funny. :D

Second of all, I think Frank is the best choice for this team. They play extremely hard for him. He's excited and energetic. He got this team to overachieve in the playoffs. He seems to be exactly the type of guy these young guys need...someone who is positive..but can be tough when needed. And we've had reports that Frank did settle into that role.

Third, I think any new coach...who hasn't been officially named head coach (don't forget that) would struggle to get a great team of assistant coaches. Yes, we have a good developing team. But if an assistant coach is really that good, he'll have other options..better options. (That's why I actually suggested someone like Westhead.)

A coach has to get it's start somewhere. There are a lot of indications that Frank will be a really really good coach, better than any of our other options IMO. The players want him back. He is clearly truly excited about and his his heart in this team. He's a quick learner.

So he was a bit too nice in the beginning. He HAD to be. The players needed that. It's not a bad thing that he could tell what these players needed at that time. And when they needed him to be stricter..he did that too.

I mean, it could blow up in our face. I doubt it though. Even if he's clueless and he's hidden it well, there's still the fact that the players like him and will play hard for him.

pacer4ever
06-10-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.1070thefan.com/gradyandjoe/podcast.aspx
6/10/11

Wells says the job is his as long as he can find good assistant coaches

PR07
06-10-2011, 02:36 PM
I don't really have a problem with Bird not helping Vogel. Vogel's going to be the one that will be working with these guys on a regular basis, so they need to be "his people". People that he is comfortable working with. It would be like your parents picking your best friends growing up.

Hicks
06-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Are you guys assuming Larry isn't helping him find assistant, or did someone confirm it?

From the first article posted:

Bird and Vogel have met several times in recent weeks, and have targeted several assistant coaches – including Terry Porter and J.B. Bickerstaff – that the Pacers would like to surround Vogel.

Bird and Vogel. Have, not has.

I think people are reading too much into something here.

Sookie
06-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Are you guys assuming Larry isn't helping him find assistant, or did someone confirm it?

From the first article posted:

Bird and Vogel. Have, not has.

I think people are reading too much into something here.

I saw it written somewhere, I haven't listened to the Wells interview but I'd assume that's where the assumption came from. :laugh:

pacer4ever
06-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I saw it written somewhere, I haven't listened to the Wells interview but I'd assume that's where the assumption came from. :laugh:

what Wells says makes it sound like Vogel finds them than has to have Larry's approval. It doesn't sound like Larry is helping but i would hope he is.

Kid Minneapolis
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Uhhhhh I'd say that's actually standard protocol in almost every industry.

BillS
06-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Okay, first of all..I want to say..I find it ironic that the posters who were Obie supporters seem to be the most against hiring Frank. Just something kind of funny. :D

Second of all, I think Frank is the best choice for this team. They play extremely hard for him. He's excited and energetic. He got this team to overachieve in the playoffs. He seems to be exactly the type of guy these young guys need...someone who is positive..but can be tough when needed. And we've had reports that Frank did settle into that role.

Third, I think any new coach...who hasn't been officially named head coach (don't forget that) would struggle to get a great team of assistant coaches. Yes, we have a good developing team. But if an assistant coach is really that good, he'll have other options..better options. (That's why I actually suggested someone like Westhead.)

A coach has to get it's start somewhere. There are a lot of indications that Frank will be a really really good coach, better than any of our other options IMO. The players want him back. He is clearly truly excited about and his his heart in this team. He's a quick learner.

So he was a bit too nice in the beginning. He HAD to be. The players needed that. It's not a bad thing that he could tell what these players needed at that time. And when they needed him to be stricter..he did that too.

I mean, it could blow up in our face. I doubt it though. Even if he's clueless and he's hidden it well, there's still the fact that the players like him and will play hard for him.

Funny how any discussion of whether or not there are better options out there seems to be interpreted as being against Vogel. I like Frank, I won't be upset if he's hired, I just think there may be better out there and I seem to be one of the few who has concerns about a young coach combined with a young team. I certainly seem to be one of the few who isn't going :onozomg: because the hiring isn't complete yet.

I firmly believe that SOMEONE has to have experience in their position in order to lead a team. That could be a veteran starter or 6th man (as you go deeper into the bench the effect of the veteran drops, if nothing else because he isn't getting on the floor). That could be a veteran coach with a team of rookies or guys with 4 years or less. It is more difficult for it to be a veteran assistant, but if the coach is able to manage the assistants and properly work with them it can be the difference. When Bird coached, he had three assets - a veteran team AND very good assistants AND knew exactly how to balance who did what. He gets little credit for this from a lot of people, but that kind of skill isn't something you find on the floor under the change machine.

I believe that having a pretty new head coach combined with no veteran leadership on the floor is going to lead to lots of missed opportunities. Sure, they'll learn from them, but why do they have to learn from their own mistakes on my dime? Why can't we get some experienced people in here and let the team learn from mistakes other people have already made?

In regards to Bird "not helping" Vogel hire - what kind of help are we looking for? Bird assuring assistants Vogel will be hired? Bird making the initial contacts on Frank's behalf? Bird doing the hiring himself? At a certain level, each of these undermines Vogel's authority because every one of those moves implies BIRD is in charge of the coaches, NOT Frank. By Bird making Vogel do it himself, he makes certain the coaches are coming to work for Frank, NOT for Larry, and also makes sure that Vogel has complete control of how he works with his assistants - which is absolutely vital if you are trying to make sure he can balance their input properly.

I can't help but interpret that as Bird saying, in effect, "OK, Frank, we'll give it to you but you have to show me what you can do with a staff and that you can get the right people" - and I don't find that a problem in the least.

Hicks
06-10-2011, 03:39 PM
what Wells says makes it sound like Vogel finds them than has to have Larry's approval. It doesn't sound like Larry is helping but i would hope he is.

Wouldn't it make more sense that they work together to see who is out there, might be a good fit, is available, and is potentially interested, and then from there Bird can say it's up to Frank to pick who he wants, to get them to commit, and then have Bird and Herb sign off on his selections?

Bball
06-11-2011, 12:20 AM

There was this:

Originally Posted by PacerGuy

Hicks
06-11-2011, 12:37 AM
But the "surprised Bird isn't more involved" line is PacerGuy's comment, not something Wells was explicitly reporting.

Day-V
06-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Vogel could pick a ventriloquist and a half-eaten cheese sandwich as his assistants and I'd still welcome him back with open arms.

PacerGuy
06-11-2011, 07:26 AM
But the "surprised Bird isn't more involved" line is PacerGuy's comment, not something Wells was explicitly reporting.

Correct.
Wells stated Bird was waiting on Vogel to bring him the names. Now, I guess there may have been a list given to/ made with Frank, & Frank is responsible for making the final call, but it did not come accross that way.