PDA

View Full Version : ESPN vs TNT

Young
06-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I caught some of the Jim Rome show today (I dislike him and Colin but still find myself listening to them almost daily during basketball season) and he had on Jon Barry. I don't know how in the world it got on this subject but Barry started saying how the TNT crew (Barkley) is more for "entertaining" or a "barber shop" style of show while him and the ESPN crew try to educate people on the game.

I can't say that either show blows me away but if I had to pick I would rather listen/watch TNT. Maybe it's because they don't have as much air time but they don't go on and on about the same topics like ESPN.

Which do you prefer to listen/watch?

xBulletproof
06-09-2011, 06:49 PM
TNT, they're awesome.

King Tuts Tomb
06-09-2011, 06:53 PM
TNT is miles ahead of ESPN. I can't think of a sport that ESPN does better than other networks. Sunday Night Football is far better on NBC than MNF on ESPN and I'd much rather watch college basketball on CBS than ESPN.

pacer4ever
06-09-2011, 06:56 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UooitEU6AtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H6JVXBZOQbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
NBA on NBC all day

KingGeorge
06-09-2011, 07:06 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UooitEU6AtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H6JVXBZOQbw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
NBA on NBC all day

That reminded me of this.

http://images.swap.com/images/vg/46/1030746.jpg

One of my favorite games as a kid.

CooperManning
06-09-2011, 07:07 PM
http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/charles-barkley-reggie-miller.jpg?w=400

No one's topping that.

PacerPenguins
06-09-2011, 07:12 PM
NBA on NBC all day

HOLY CRAP! i remember watching that same exact thing (video 2) on TV.... i rly do miss NBA on NBC..... was the best by far

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-09-2011, 07:28 PM
I hope Barry wasn't being serious when he said ESPN does a better job of educating the audience. Hubie Brown is the only one educating me when I tune in to that network. Other than him, everyone else toes the company line and rides the big names with little substance to add. You'll learn as much about the game by playing NBA 2K online where everyone only plays with three teams.

Trophy
06-09-2011, 07:29 PM
In today's NBA broadcasting, hands down TNT.

Those guys are freakin' hilarious and of course Reggie's a part of it.

Trophy
06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
NBA on NBC all day

I loved the intro on NBC alone to prefer it.

Kstat
06-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I demand an NBC and a CBS option.

Lord Helmet
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Jon Barry is terrible. You'd think he played for and was from Chicago during the first round.

Hicks
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
TNT, though I grew tired of the in studio schtick a few years ago. Not that I don't like those guys anymore, but I need them in much shorter doses than previously.

Still, their broadcast looks great, sounds great, has the best commentary, so the choice is easy. I hope one day they get to take over the Finals.

ESPN/ABC is okay, but it still reeks of.... ESPN.

Kstat
06-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Jon Barry is terrible. You'd think he played for and was from Chicago during the first round.

His dad was far worse.

Sandman21
06-09-2011, 08:07 PM
TNT and NBC trump ABC/ESPN. I miss the Sunday Triple Headers and Roundball Rock. :(

And Barry shouldn't be one to talk about ABC/ESPN having the "learning" focus after his drooling over Derrick Rose in game 1.

Sparhawk
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
ESPN has gotten too big or...I don't know, something. I'm really starting to hate ESPN now.

Kstat
06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
NBC had incredible depth in the broadcast booth, and they had an outstanding presentation.

Doddage
06-09-2011, 08:51 PM
TNT by a landslide. Their commentary is a lot more focused on the game itself as opposed to ABC where Van Gundy and Jackson are making fun of each other seemingly every other possession. At least with TNT, the fun and games has its place with the studio show and not during the games.

righteouscool
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I love the TNT crew. Chris Webber is excellent and Charles/Kenny/Ernie are hilarious together. I love how natural they all seem in front of a camera and how light hearted they take basketball. You'd think from ESPN/ABC broadcasts that Basketball is the most important thing in the world. . .

Pacerfan
06-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm really paying attention to Mark's analysis right now and wow he is bad. Hope he's better at analyzing as a coach than as a broadcaster.

Unclebuck
06-09-2011, 09:45 PM
I've had a change of heart over the past few seasons. .

Reggie is so bad, I have a hard time watching TNT. And then TNT's camera work is often unwatchable for me, like in the ECF, the camera angle was too tight, it drove me crazy.

ESPN with JVG and Hubie who are by far the two best analyst, has IMO become much better than TNT.

My favorite thing about TNT now is Ernie Johnson, I think he is very underated. I enjoy Kenny and Charles, for entertainment, but they can get to be too much, especially in the playoffs. They are better once a week in games that are less important like the regular season.

NBC was the best though

NBATV I like a lot. They don't produce their own games, but for studio I like C. Webb, McHale, Steve Smith, and Brent Barry a lot. Brent is better than his brother John.

Kid Minneapolis
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think Reggie is bad at all, but Mark Jackson will be better on the bench than with a set of headphones on.

Eleazar
06-10-2011, 02:20 AM
Wow, it is a landslide in TNT's favor. Of course though if NBC was still doing it it would be a landslide for NBC over both ESPN and TNT.

ESPN has gotten too big or...I don't know, something. I'm really starting to hate ESPN now.

I think it might have something to do with Disney owning them. Every year they are owned by Disney a little more of the Disney suckage just creeps over into ESPN. It is now getting to the point of it just being pure crap.

Midcoasted
06-10-2011, 03:31 AM
Wow, it is a landslide in TNT's favor. Of course though if NBC was still doing it it would be a landslide for NBC over both ESPN and TNT.

I think it might have something to do with Disney owning them. Every year they are owned by Disney a little more of the Disney suckage just creeps over into ESPN. It is now getting to the point of it just being pure crap.

NBA on NBC trumps all.

Sparhawk
06-10-2011, 07:00 AM

I've got it. It's all the slurping of the Yanks and Sox and every other big market team. I don't recall back when ESPN first launched that they ever did that. It's just been the past few years or so and it's so *****ing annoying.

Shade
06-10-2011, 08:00 AM
NBC > TNT > ABC > ESPN

The Sleeze
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
NBC > TNT > ABC > ESPN

This

NBC was awesome. They did a great job of bringing in the crowd noise during the games. They made you feel like you were there instead of just watching the game. I was watching the 30 for 30 on Reggie the other day and all of the NBC games just had an atmosphere to them.

PR07
06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
TNT's better just because of the half-time crew and Reggie.

However, nothing could touch NBC back in the day. It made the NBA feel like March Madness almost, now everything feels too corporate.

Spirit
06-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I've had a change of heart over the past few seasons. .

Reggie is so bad, I have a hard time watching TNT. And then TNT's camera work is often unwatchable for me, like in the ECF, the camera angle was too tight, it drove me crazy.

ESPN with JVG and Hubie who are by far the two best analyst, has IMO become much better than TNT.

My favorite thing about TNT now is Ernie Johnson, I think he is very underated. I enjoy Kenny and Charles, for entertainment, but they can get to be too much, especially in the playoffs. They are better once a week in games that are less important like the regular season.

NBC was the best though

NBATV I like a lot. They don't produce their own games, but for studio I like C. Webb, McHale, Steve Smith, and Brent Barry a lot. Brent is better than his brother John.
Agreed. TNT plays around too much and they are hard to take seriously.

Spirit
06-10-2011, 09:49 AM
NBC > TNT > ABC > ESPN
I've never seen NBC, so ABC > ESPN > TNT.

Ownagedood
06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
NBC was amazing.. I was really young when the games where on that but i still remember it pretty well. NBC also had Jordan and Reggie at their best though so maybe its unfair, because the entertainment was really high at the time too... Not to say its not high now, but Jordan was the best ever and Reggie is the man, here.

With that all said TNT blows ESPN out of the water in my book. Love TNT, and i dont really like ESPN that much.

EDIT: I feel like ESPN roots for teams like the Lakers and Celtics; Not sure if im just hatin' but I feel like they root for the bigger cities that normally have better teams, and talk down upon some of the under dogs. (Pacers)

Kstat
06-10-2011, 12:01 PM
This really needs to be mentioned, because not enough people are bringing up CBS, which was the NBA's first true national showcase network. Bill Musburger and Dick Stockton were two of the all-time best play by play guys.

Musberger's "you are looking live" intro is every bit as memorable as Marv's "A capacity crowd..."

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z90bJfQdWOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sandman21
06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

As far as I'm concerned, NBATV is a extension of the TNT production, especially Turner manages the network for the NBA.:D

EDIT: I feel like ESPN roots for teams like the Lakers and Celtics; Not sure if im just hatin' but I feel like they root for the bigger cities that normally have better teams, and talk down upon some of the under dogs. (Pacers)
Remember how they covered the Pacers beating the Lakers in LA this past season? Kobe highlights the ENTIRE time, and then they show the Roy basket at the end and say the Pacers won.:mad: Fortunately, NBATV's coverage was much more reasonable.

ilive4sports
06-10-2011, 05:39 PM
This really needs to be mentioned, because not enough people are bringing up CBS, which was the NBA's first true national showcase network. Bill Musburger and Dick Stockton were two of the all-time best play by play guys.

Musberger's "you are looking live" intro is every bit as memorable as Marv's "A capacity crowd..."

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z90bJfQdWOc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Musburger may be my favorite play by play guy of all time. He spoke at Penn State when he was in town for a football game a few years ago and the things he has commentated throughout his career, you can't help but be jealous of him. Great guy and he is great at what he does.

TNT is much better than ESPN these days. Quite frankly the guys calling the game on radio for ESPN should be the guys on tv, Tirico, Brown and Dr. Jack. I can't stand the Breen, Jackson, Van Gundy combo. I've heard hands down man down too many times. I just find them annoying. I don't find Reggie to be great or anything, but I prefer him way more than those two. Magic Johnson is the only thing saving ESPN's studio work too.

itzryan07
06-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Lol I remember on TN, Kenny did a comparison of each of their crews. And they were dogging on ESPN.I wish I could find the video.