PDA

View Full Version : Paul George first pick in this years draft?

NewEra
06-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Im bored and wonderingif PG would go first in this years draft class. What you guys think?

GrangerRanger
06-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Wtf?

BornReady
06-09-2011, 03:05 PM
maybe (I don't think so tbh,) but does this really merit its own topic?

Kstat
06-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Not even close. He might go top-5, but not #1.

MyFavMartin
06-09-2011, 03:07 PM
He'd atleast be top 4 in my book with Kyrie Irving, Derrick Williams, and Enes Kanter. He'd definitely be the top SG prospect.

KingGeorge
06-09-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't think he would go first this year, but I believe he will have a better career than Williams and Irving.

ECKrueger
06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Depends if you mean PG of last year (like the draft prospect) or PG of this year (NBA rookie).

Prospect PG goes between 5 and 10, current PG goes about 5.

ballism
06-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Based on what we know now? Maybe. Cleveland drafts 1 and 4, and I think for Cleveland, George + Brandon Knight might be more intriguing than Irving + Kanter.
Either way, I think he'd be a favorite for no.3.

Based on his last year's resume? No way. He probably wouldn't even be the first wing drafted, imo. For start, Vesely seems to have a similar upside and similar body, and his CV is mor impressive. Leonard is also a beast.

McKeyFan
06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
maybe (I don't think so tbh,) but does this really merit its own topic?
Hey, the board is slow. Let's not flame sincere attempts around here.

Justin Tyme
06-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey, the board is slow. Let's not flame sincere attempts around here.

If you think it's slow now, just wait until the lockout. Hot topics will be what players favorite foods are, what type vehicles they like, music they like, what movie they saw last, etc.

ballism
06-09-2011, 06:18 PM
If you think it's slow now, just wait until the lockout. Hot topics will be what players favorite foods are, what type vehicles they like, music they like, what movie they saw last, etc.

Hot topic where I am will be EuroCup and the strongest Euroleague ever! :devil:

King Tuts Tomb
06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Semi on-topic, who was the last shooting guard taken first in the draft? Iverson? He's more of a combo guard than anything. I can't even think of a pure two recently who's been taken first.

xBulletproof
06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Semi on-topic, who was the last shooting guard taken first in the draft? Iverson? He's more of a combo guard than anything. I can't even think of a pure two recently who's been taken first.

Uh WTF. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just went through the list. I think it was Doug Collins in 1973. That can't be right, right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_first_overall_NBA_draft_picks

Kstat
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
I would say David Thompson in 1975.

The highest shooting guard taken since then would be Otis Birdong (#2 in 1977)

pacer4ever
06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
I would say David Thompson in 1975.

The highest shooting guard taken since then would be Otis Birdong (#2 in 1977)

wasn't Turner considered a SG coming out last year?

BornReady
06-09-2011, 08:43 PM
wasn't Turner considered a SG coming out last year?

yes

MillerTime
06-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Im bored and wonderingif PG would go first in this years draft class. What you guys think?

man you must be really board...

probably not though...Irving is a special talent

Shade
06-10-2011, 08:04 AM
I think he'd probably go #3 or #4.

Irving would still go #1, as quality points are always at a premium, which is why you often see them at the top of the draft charts.

travmil
06-10-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't think so. Even if GM's KNEW then what they know now about Paul George, GM's make the often bad mistake of falling in love with the unknown. Potential (or upside as we call it around here for some reason) will come off the board before actual verified basketball skill almost every time. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you draft Michael Olowakandi. Sometimes you trade a plyer another team loves and turn Tractor Traylor and Pat Garrity into Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash. Sometimes you leave good players like Brad Miller undrafted. In case anyone thinks I cherry picked these, all of these happened in ONE draft. It's like this every year. The system isn't perfect, but it's the one we've got.

ballism
06-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I don't think so. Even if GM's KNEW then what they know now about Paul George, GM's make the often bad mistake of falling in love with the unknown. Potential (or upside as we call it around here for some reason) will come off the board before actual verified basketball skill almost every time. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you draft Michael Olowakandi. Sometimes you trade a plyer another team loves and turn Tractor Traylor and Pat Garrity into Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash. Sometimes you leave good players like Brad Miller undrafted. In case anyone thinks I cherry picked these, all of these happened in ONE draft. It's like this every year. The system isn't perfect, but it's the one we've got.

So George wouldn't be picked for upside today?
To me this is still clearly an upside pick.
He doesn't have that much "verified skill", nor has he been verified much for most of this season.
The main things we learned about PG this year: (1) he still got lots to learn, but he's no Gerald Green, (2) he won't break down or pout because O'Brien gives him chain DNPs, (3) he won't back down to anyone, even if it's MVP in the playoffs.
To me, an obvious upside pick.

Potential (or upside as we call it around here for some reason) will come off the board before actual verified basketball skill almost every time.

PS: Potential = how high is your ceiling, how good you can be. Upside = how far away you are from that ceiling atm.
E.g.: Blake Griffin and John Wall have similar MVP potential (lets say so), but Wall has more upside because he's further away right now, he has the bigger jump to make.
That's the way I understand those words, correct me if I'm wrong.
So in the context you say "potential" I say "upside".
Anyway, as long as we all understand each other, specific words don't matter. :)

Speed
06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
He'd go 3, I'd guess. Thats saying you didn't know what he looked like this past year in the NBA. He would still be a risk, since it was Fresno State, didn't show his full abilities defensively.

Now, if you had this year under his belt in the NBA I believe he COULD go #1. I think the league realizes he has the potential to be top 10 in steals, lock down wing defender and could someday score 20 a game. Not many guys in the league can do that.

You look at PG and think, what can't he do, potentially? Thats a pretty high ceiling.

More directly, PG has Allstar type capabilities/potential. Not many guys in THIS draft you can even say that about.

Of course potential is just that and means nothing if a player doesn't develop for some reason. Happens often. But the potential applies to all of the 18-20 years olds at the top of this draft anyway.

Its such a weak draft at the top too, Kanter should go top 4 and no one even knows if he can play in the NBA, long term.