PDA

View Full Version : Potential PF free agent off the boards

Really?
06-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Just read this from ESPN... Sounds like the free agent class is getting a little weaker...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Nene to sign extension soon?
10:15
AM ET
Nene | Nuggets
TopEmailComments

UPDATE No. 2: Teams like Golden State, Houston and Portland may have interest in acquiring Nene, but it sounds like he isn't going anywhere, according to Chris Tomasson via Twitter.

Tomasson reports the Nuggets and Nene's agent, Dan ***en, are hoping to sign a three-year extension by June 30.

Nene is currently in Brazil, but he will back in Denver next week and he could sign the new deal at that time.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE: According to Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post, Denver coach George Karl believes Nene could stay in Denver.

"I have no problem with Nene expressing his opinions on his position. I think me and the organization very much want him here," Karl said, according to the paper. "I think with the situation of this year, maybe he felt like he needed more contact (about the contract). (But) from what I know with my relationship with Nene and his love for Denver, I just think things are going to get worked out, I really do."

---

Earlier, we noted some chatter that Portland could be a possible destination for Denver center Nene, who's expected to opt out of the last year of his contract and enter free agency this summer.

But as far as ESPN's John Hollinger is concerned, the Trail Blazers aren't in the mix:

Ownagedood
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
:vaderno:

Don't do it Nene....Don't do it.....

CableKC
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't get why the Media fails to recognize that the Pacers may have likely interest in Nene....we have the $$$ and the need for an upgrade at that position....yet we often aren't listed as a Team of interest for Nene's services.

Trophy
06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Why isn't our name being thrown into the hat? We have the cap space and quite frankly this is a better team for him to go to than those teams.

Why Golden State? They don't have anything to spend.

pacer4ever
06-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Why isn't our name being thrown into the hat? We have the cap space and quite frankly this is a better team for him to go to than those teams.

Why Golden State? They don't have anything to spend.

they didnt have any money to spend on David Lee either they found a way. A lot of free agents go to GS they tend to overpay.

Gamble1
06-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't get why the Media fails to recognize that the Pacers may have likely interest in Nene....we have the $$$ and the need for an upgrade at that position....yet we often aren't listed as a Team of interest for Nene's services.
Probably becasue only the fans here have interest in Nene and not the front office.

Shade
06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Probably becasue only the fans here have interest in Nene and not the front office.

http://www.unclesgames.com/affiliate_show_banner.php?ref=59&affiliate_pbanner_id=1648

Hicks
06-09-2011, 01:25 PM
:sigh:

Trophy
06-09-2011, 01:28 PM

They don't know if the others teams like Houston, Portland, and GS front offices have interest in him either. They MAY have interest which is why I would think Indiana would be on that list of possible destinations for Nene.

Trophy
06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
they didnt have any money to spend on David Lee either they found a way. A lot of free agents go to GS they tend to overpay.

Another reason why a lockout looms...

David Lee is definitely not worth anywhere near where they paid.

CableKC
06-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Another reason why a lockout looms...

David Lee is definitely not worth anywhere near where they paid.
In terms of length of contract 6 years seems like a lot......I agree....the guy is paid $11 to 16 mil a year...which is somewhat reasonable for a Big Man....but outside of mediocre defense....I'd love to have a Player like David Lee on the Team....the guy is a solid double-double guy that has a solid mid-range game and as far as I know...a good locker room guy.

If we had a solid defensive anchor inside the paint...I'd love to have a Player like David Lee on the roster. If he put up crappy #s and didn't really contribute on either end of the court....I'd agree that he was overpaid....but he has put up very solid #s and has contributed to the Team. IMHO....he's slightly overpaid...but not overpaid to the point where it was a clear mistake to sign him for that much.

pacer4ever
06-09-2011, 01:52 PM
In terms of length of contract 6 years seems like a lot......I agree....the guy is paid $11 to 16 mil a year...which is somewhat reasonable for a Big Man....but outside of mediocre defense....I'd love to have a Player like David Lee on the Team....the guy is a solid double-double guy that has a solid mid-range game and as far as I know...a good locker room guy.

If we had a solid defensive anchor inside the paint...I'd love to have a Player like David Lee on the roster. If he put up crappy #s and didn't really contribute on either end of the court....I'd agree that he was overpaid....but he has put up very solid #s and has contributed to the Team. IMHO....he's slightly overpaid...but not overpaid to the point where it was a clear mistake to sign him for that much.
you use mediocre lightly the guy is a terrible defender. You need a special type of center just to play next to him if they want to be effective. No doubt he is great offensive re-bounder and offense of player and a good garbage man. But the guys defense is terrible.

Gamble1
06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
They don't know if the others teams like Houston, Portland, and GS front offices have interest in him either. They MAY have interest which is why I would think Indiana would be on that list of possible destinations for Nene.
I think some of those teams have made phone calls that we haven't and thats why you hear unnamed sources confirming that those teams have shown interest.

Whats the interest and how serious it is I have no clue but one things for sure when you have multiple people invovled its hard to keep things under wraps.

For example, there were Collison rumors in June and he got traded in August.

vnzla81
06-09-2011, 02:16 PM

Because they see him as a center not a PF.

PacersPride
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
NeNe will be overpaid. Anyone else here perfectly content waiting until 2012 offseason to upgrade via FA.

Rather explore trade possibilities with the cap space we have available first.

Kid Minneapolis
06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
I have no real interest in Nene.

CRASH
06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
If I am spending the money, I would rather have Tyson Chandler.

pacergod2
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
I would love to get Tyson Chandler. I've said it probably 100 times. He is another USA Basketball caliber player. He could play PF or C. He is an athletic, shot-blocking X-Factor. Imagine our length with him at PF. PG 6'8", DG 6'9", TC 7'0", RH 7'2". Even though we lack some bulk in the starting lineup, you bring in Tyler, Jeff and McRoberts and there is legitimate toughness and athleticism in our front court.

The ability for our lineup to defend would be improved significantly with Chandler, because the length we have would allow our players to play the passing lanes more and block a ton of shots. And any rotations we would have to make defensively wouldn't kill us. Even if PG rotated to PF, he's still 6'8", which is just as tall as many PFs, although he would give up weight. I think Bird is going to go hard after Chandler to be honest. He will be our one move this off-season outside of the players we draft. I say this because Bird mentioned having "another $10M coming off the books next year as well". I think we go after one guy this year and fill the roster cheaply with our draft picks, then go after one of the players in next year's free agent class. Would Deron Williams like to throw lobs in this lineup?

Williams, Collison
George, Stephenson
Granger, DJones
Chandler, Hansborough
Hibbert, McRoberts

Doddage
06-09-2011, 05:24 PM
That damn Dan ***en and his getting an extension for his client...

Justin Tyme
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Williams, Collison
George, Stephenson
Granger, DJones
Chandler, Hansborough
Hibbert, McRoberts

Why do you and others continually put McBob as a center? He has very "little" attributes of a player who plays center. Just b/c he's 6'10" doesn't make him a center anymore than it makes Dun a PF. Sure, he could play center in a pinch if absolutely necessary, but 15-18 minutes a game as b/u center is nothing more than a pipe dream. If you categorize him as a center, you might as well categorize him a PG since he can bring the ball up the court too.

FYI, my small home area newspaper did an interview with McBob and published it today in the paper. McBob said" This summer I will work on shooting from 15-17 feet, those are the areas where I am likely to get shots. That is the main thing, along with getting stronger."

IMO, working on better reb and playing "D" should be primary goals as well.

15-17 foot shots doesn't sound like what a "center" should be working on when they don't have a back to the basket game.

Jose Slaughter
06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
With as much coin as the Pacers will have this summer there should be no reason to limit our list to just free agents. Bird should target whoever he thinks best fits into our system with the core group he wants to move forward with, free agent or not.

Kid Minneapolis
06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
I would love to get Tyson Chandler. I've said it probably 100 times. He is another USA Basketball caliber player. He could play PF or C. He is an athletic, shot-blocking X-Factor. Imagine our length with him at PF. PG 6'8", DG 6'9", TC 7'0", RH 7'2". Even though we lack some bulk in the starting lineup, you bring in Tyler, Jeff and McRoberts and there is legitimate toughness and athleticism in our front court.

The ability for our lineup to defend would be improved significantly with Chandler, because the length we have would allow our players to play the passing lanes more and block a ton of shots. And any rotations we would have to make defensively wouldn't kill us. Even if PG rotated to PF, he's still 6'8", which is just as tall as many PFs, although he would give up weight. I think Bird is going to go hard after Chandler to be honest. He will be our one move this off-season outside of the players we draft. I say this because Bird mentioned having "another $10M coming off the books next year as well". I think we go after one guy this year and fill the roster cheaply with our draft picks, then go after one of the players in next year's free agent class. Would Deron Williams like to throw lobs in this lineup?

Williams, Collison
George, Stephenson
Granger, DJones
Chandler, Hansborough
Hibbert, McRoberts

I love the idea of having Deron Williams in a pacer uni... I honestly hadn't considered that, but man... that's a move that puts us lightyears ahead.

wintermute
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
With as much coin as the Pacers will have this summer there should be no reason to limit our list to just free agents. Bird should target whoever he thinks best fits into our system with the core group he wants to move forward with, free agent or not.

Sure. But the problem with non-free agents is that you have to send back players that the other team wants. It's unlikely that the kind of players that we want would be available for cap space alone.

As an example, if we're targeting say Pau Gasol, Lakers would certainly ask for our best young players in addition to financial relief. Is it worth the sacrifice? Tough questions to answer.

It's a lot easier to just speculate about free agents. At least with those guys, we know we can get them by money alone.

croz24
06-10-2011, 05:09 PM
forget nene. save all the capspace we can for 2012...

pacers74
06-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Once I found out his wife was from close by in Colorado and he loved the city, I gave up on wanting him. He was planning on signing with Denver the whole time.
We need to focus on guys we have a chance to get. All of the Tyson Chandler crap is that just crap. Do you really think Cuban would let Chandler go after what he is doing right now in the finals. No way.
We might be able to make a trade for a PF, but the free agent market place won't be where we get the PF everybody wants. I think Bird and company need to reach out to teams like Utah who have an over abundance of PF's to try to get a quality guy.

Anthem
06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I like the idea of picking up Tyson's Chicken. But McBob as a backup center isn't a stretch... He can defend the position, so what's the problem?

PR07
06-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't see Cuban letting Tyson Chandler walk, especially if they end up winning the Finals. He has too deep of pockets.

pacers74
06-10-2011, 07:32 PM
I like the idea of picking up Tyson's Chicken. But McBob as a backup center isn't a stretch... He can defend the position, so what's the problem?

After all said and done McBob might be the best back PF/C we can sign. I did forget about West earlier, but he will probably stay with the Hornets. I don't think they are going to go into next season with Landry as their starter.
McBob isn't bad, but I think most people are just looking for an upgrade over what we have.

Jose Slaughter
06-10-2011, 08:20 PM
wintermute

With the current financial state of the NBA, many teams will be looking to slice a little payroll in an effort to slow the flow of red ink. Teams hovering around whatever the new luxury tax might be could dump a little salary to save a lot.

You know better than I that the Pacers will be in a better place than most to take advantage of other teams payroll fears.

Swaping draft picks to take on the burden of a players remaining contract is not common but certainly not unheard of.

I could invision the Pacers moving a draft pick for a veteran as well as another pick.

The number of teams with both bloated payrolls & players Bird believes could improve the Pacers might be limited, but I bet they're out there. There just seems too many factors working in the Pacers favor to not get something positive done.

pacer4ever
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM

I beg to differ he has trouble defending 4s let alone 5s. He is a poor defender IMO.

wintermute
06-10-2011, 08:40 PM
wintermute

With the current financial state of the NBA, many teams will be looking to slice a little payroll in an effort to slow the flow of red ink. Teams hovering around whatever the new luxury tax might be could dump a little salary to save a lot.

You know better than I that the Pacers will be in a better place than most to take advantage of other teams payroll fears.

Swaping draft picks to take on the burden of a players remaining contract is not common but certainly not unheard of.

I could invision the Pacers moving a draft pick for a veteran as well as another pick.

The number of teams with both bloated payrolls & players Bird believes could improve the Pacers might be limited, but I bet they're out there. There just seems too many factors working in the Pacers favor to not get something positive done.

Fair enough. I thought what you meant in your original post is that we could trade for a starting PF using our cap space, instead of signing someone like Nene or Chandler. That seems a lot tougher - for example, I don't think we can get guys like Varejao or Okafor for just cap space. Our choices will be more along the lines of Brand (massive contract), Biedrins (fallen off a cliff), or Amir Johnson (mediocre).

But as you say, we'll see if the new rules will change things in the Pacers' favor. The pessimist in me says no, but one can always hope :D