PDA

View Full Version : Tressel finally bails out on OSU

PacerDude
05-30-2011, 09:20 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6606999

Looks like his house of cards finally crashed down on him.

What's Urban Meyer up to these days ???????????

Psyren
05-30-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm not an Ohio State fan, but it was definitely time.

The guy was clearly running some sketchy things behind the scenes.

Kegboy
05-30-2011, 10:07 AM
From (the other) Jim O'Brien to Tressel to even Matta recruiting some sketchy kids, the NCAA just needs to open a field office in Columbus.

WoodyHayes78
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
He brought this on himself and he got what he deserved.

ilive4sports
05-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh man nice work!

Sandman21
05-30-2011, 04:38 PM
He shouldn't have been allowed to resign. His keister should have been fired when it came out that he was aware of the issues and did nothing.

PacerDude
05-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Legal issues with the firing / resigning. If they canned him, they would have owed him $$ from his contract. His quitting eliminated that.

dal9
05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
supposedly the story that precipitated the resignation will be up on SI.com soon

http://twitter.com/#!/georgedohrmann

hoosierguy
05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
supposedly the story that precipitated the resignation will be up on SI.com soon

http://twitter.com/#!/georgedohrmann

Oh my, it is MUCH worse than initially reported.

O$U can kiss the postseason goodbye for the next few seasons.

dal9
05-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Pryor shows up to the player meeting tonight in a Nissan 350z with dealer plates...bought six days ago...tints, rims...registered to his mom...no joke...

people are often too quick to call athletes dumb, but wow....

Sandman21
05-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Pryor shows up to the player meeting tonight in a Nissan 350z with dealer plates...bought six days ago...tints, rims...registered to his mom...no joke...

I think this is 100% justified:
:picard:

ilive4sports
05-31-2011, 03:27 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html

There's the direct link to the SI story.

I met Tressel back in the beginning of 2008. I went out to Columbus with the Big 33, an organization that holds a high school all star game between Pennsylvania (where Big 33 is located) and Ohio. We had a press conference right inside of the horseshoe. Tressel spoke at it to the players selected to the Ohio roster, many were soon to be buckeyes. The whole time I was there I could just sense this arrogance from the people involved at OSU. Some were great people, like the manager of the stadium. He was a great guy. But overall there was just this feeling that they thought they were better than you.

I definitely can see this "ignorance" that SI talks about when it comes to Tressel. I truly believe he thought he was above it all. He most certainly knew what was going on, but I don't think he ever expected it to blow up like this.

Also, this certainly explains why Pryor chose OSU over PSU haha.

Trader Joe
05-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Basketball program is next...Ohio State is gonna be in trouble. Because if the football program is dirty, I can only imagine what the laundry behind the bball team looks like.

Trader Joe
05-31-2011, 09:08 AM

How did you know this?

Sandman21
05-31-2011, 11:25 AM
How did you know this?

Saw it on Twitter last night. ESPN is confirming:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/27313/focus-now-turns-to-terrelle-pryor-and-cars

Trader Joe
05-31-2011, 11:56 AM
It's going to be fun to chart the temperature as Rome burns :devil:

dal9
05-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Basketball program is next...Ohio State is gonna be in trouble. Because if the football program is dirty, I can only imagine what the laundry behind the bball team looks like.

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the Colombian that is in thine own eye?

Trader Joe
05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the Colombian that is in thine own eye?

Because IU has...

A.) Done nothing wrong.

B.) His coach his legal guardian.

C.) NCAA has already been involved in phone calls regarding Parea's "benefits" and has approved them.

ECKrueger
05-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Pryor's car:

http://twitter.com/#!/mg_indy/status/75577024474906624

Man, star QB at a huge college, probably most popular kid at that school, new cars, tattoos, and money I am sure. How nice was Pryor's life before this week?

Trader Joe
05-31-2011, 01:35 PM
To be fair, that is a used 350Z, and I dunno Pryor's income level, but you can get a used 2007 350Z at a pretty reasonable price. Is it probably dirty? Yeah, but he could have at least aimed a little higher.

ECKrueger
05-31-2011, 01:44 PM
To be fair, that is a used 350Z, and I dunno Pryor's income level, but you can get a used 2007 350Z at a pretty reasonable price. Is it probably dirty? Yeah, but he could have at least aimed a little higher.

Like stated earlier though, it also has rims, tint, and probably a sound system of some sort. They are still about 20k, although hypothetically it is fairly reasonable if you are going to college free.

Still, just not a smart move.

Sandman21
05-31-2011, 05:20 PM

6 (7 now?) different cars since he's been there though?

dal9
05-31-2011, 06:04 PM

update: think i just heard on the radio (was half listening) that pryor was driving...wait for it.......
wait for it
on a suspended license last night as well.

edit: guy on the radio just had a good take, saying that Pryor is just over it, and doing this on purpose to say "peace out"

idioteque
05-31-2011, 08:22 PM
OSU's arrogance made Notre Dame fans look humble, I can't say I'm too upset. And you know that guy in high school that peaked at 18 as a football player and you never heard from him again? Terrell Pryor is the college version of that.

ECKrueger
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
on a suspended license last night as well.

Heard that. What an idiot.

thewholefnshow31
06-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Meh, all these big name schools are dirty. Some might just differ on how dirty they are and how brazen they are about being dirty.

I have given up on being outraged by academic fraud, money given to students, and so on.

There is to much money in college football and basketball for these schools not to do everything possible to get these big name recruits.

vapacersfan
06-01-2011, 04:13 PM
OSU is dirty and as a Notre Dame fan I enjoy seeing them fall, but I think we would all e lying if we did not say the system is broken.

Not sure how to fix it, but the NCAA right now is a joke

Trader Joe
06-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Talked to a guy who played safety at Purdue while Rod Woodson was there...has been a trainer to college athletes since and I knew him while he took care of my grandfather who suffered from dementia.

Asked him if he thought athletes should be paid a fixed amount beyond scholarship, and he says no. They are already compensated plenty he says within the rules of the NCAA, I.E. he says trainers table (or how they fed the athletes) is within the rules and is basically like eating at the best restaurants in town for free for every meal. Plus he said all the help they get within the classroom. Plus the cheating stuff, which he says rampant and that I probably don't even want to know how bad it is in all programs.

He started using some examples from his time at Purdue (free cars, free food, etc.) and said it has only gotten worse. He said athletes don't deserve an extra penny. I asked him if thought paying the players a certain approved amount would make it go away and he says no, he thinks it would just make it worse as people would take it as an invitation to cheat even more.

vapacersfan
06-01-2011, 04:29 PM
I was at a D3 school, and even there some shady things happened (though on a much smaller scale. I still remember being in business management 101 and the basketball coach walking by and looking to make sure all his players were in class :laugh:)

Like I said I really think it is a broken system, and whether they are paid or not is a small part of the problem

Trader Joe
06-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I just thought his take was interesting as a D-1 athlete at a pretty major school, which most people consider to be "clean" and by his own admission is not. Everyone always paints these players as innocent victims. They are either cogs in a machine that doesn't pay them back or naive student athletes who are just doing what anyone else would do if you ask the media, but he made it seem (and I agree with him) like they know how to work the system. He said Purdue's trainer's table alone to feed athletes is probably worth another scholarship to each player each year.

Since86
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I used to hang out with many athletes at Ball State, whether it was basketball (both men and women), golf, volleyball, baseball, whatever.

None of them are hurting.

One friend on the golf team used to get a check every semester. He was eligible for financial aid, and he already had half a schollie for golf, so between the two he got like 130% of his schooling paid for. Instead of the financial aid just stopping at 100%, they just cut him a check for the unused money. It was his, just like his mom deposited in his bank account.

Not only that, but free golf shoes, golf balls, bags, daily stipend when they went on their trips (they were given cash so if they didn't use it, it was theirs)

Scholarships aren't just for tuition. They cover housing expenses and they get meal cards etc.

So you can get your schooling and rent paid in full. If you're from a low income family, with good enough grades, you're eligible for financial aid. You'd get the same deal as the golfer.

Plus, you can always take out a student loan.

Scholarship athletes are not hurting, not one bit. If they want to ***** and moan about how poor they are, then how about they drop their sport and spend a semester like the rest of us. You know, actually paying tuition/rent/food costs either through working or student loans or both.

I'll tell that to every freaking one of them whenever they complain about being broke. They have no concept of what it's really like. Tuition is the biggest cost of school. I paid more in tuition for a semester than I did rent for the full year. And Ball State has the cheapest tuition in all of the MAC.

Stryder
06-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I really hate it when people reference how 'everome is doing ot' or 'every school is dirty'. What other schools are doing is not relevant to the situation at hand.

dal9
06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
edit: guy on the radio just had a good take, saying that Pryor is just over it, and doing this on purpose to say "peace out"

yup, radio guy called it...
also per ESPN, Pryor got $40 K to sign for a memolibiria (how the hell do you spell that) dealer...I guess that's a bit skeezy, but not as scummy as the dealer who then probably marked up the autographs like crazy...(though he better get rid of it all before Pryor busts in the N(/C)FL)

Stryder
06-08-2011, 07:32 PM
yup, radio guy called it...
also per ESPN, Pryor got $40 K to sign for a memolibiria (how the hell do you spell that) dealer...I guess that's a bit skeezy, but not as scummy as the dealer who then probably marked up the autographs like crazy...(though he better get rid of it all before Pryor busts in the N(/C)FL)

memorabilia

Trader Joe
06-09-2011, 09:52 AM
It really shows you how dumb these guys are. Pryor could have made a couple million even if he just played 1 or 2 seasons in the NFL and then invested it correctly.

ilive4sports
06-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Saw this on ESPN today, there have only been 17 schools that have never had any major NCAA violations. Only 4 of them play in major conferences. Three of them (Boston College, Northwestern, and Stanford) are private and have an advantage as they don't have to comply with the Freedom of Information Act. The lone public school? Penn State. Only one thing can explain this and thats Joe Paterno. Success with honor is a serious motto for all of Penn State and I'm proud to see this report.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/28337/northwestern-psu-in-exclusive-company

Sandman21
06-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks a lot Greenspan and Cell Phone.......

Sandman21
07-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Well, its official: OSU did not play football last year:

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1238412