PDA

View Full Version : Refs ordered to call more fouls to boost offense (no, seriously)

Hicks
10-11-2004, 09:21 AM
Link (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-041010bullsbits,1,5143156.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines)

Tighter foul-calling on tap
By Sam Smith
Tribune pro basketball reporter

October 10, 2004, 10:40 PM CDT

Someone suggested the NBA might be planning new uniforms with skirts instead of shorts. That was one response to the annual preseason briefing from NBA officials on rules changes and what referees will be looking for this season.

Veteran NBA official Dan Crawford briefed the Bulls after practice Sunday and outlined what the referees would be watching more closely. Though there are no major rules changes this season, the league is clearly concerned about the continued scoring downturn.

So referees have been ordered to make more foul calls in certain situations that, theoretically, will create more freedom for offensive players.

The key places are from midcourt to the free-throw line extended, where any contact will be called a foul, and in the areas along the baseline toward the basket, where use of the forearm will be restricted. Also, there will be limitations on use of forearms to hold off an offensive player and fewer charges called.

Bulls players and coaches said the changes will result in many more fouls. The league clearly is pushing for more foul calls early in the season so players become accustomed to the changes. The feeling is teams will play more zone defense to keep players out of foul trouble, increasing the need for perimeter shooting.

NBA referees will be graded more closely this season, much like baseball's QuesTec system for umpires, to insure they make the new foul calls.

Shade
10-11-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't know yet if this is good or bad. It doesn't really seem fair that the league continues to penalize the defense, though.

Fool
10-11-2004, 09:35 AM
It appears that all players should play defense like Dirk Nowitski.

First no hand check. Now no forearm check. In two years defenders will be obligated to move their bodies out of the way of an on coming player.

DisplacedKnick
10-11-2004, 10:38 AM
I agree with no body contact in theory - but I've been very disappointed with allowing offensive players to initiate contact and either get no-calls or have a foul called on the defense.

The two real issues are the bail-out calls where a player throws his body at a defender and heaves up a goofy shot, looking for the foul - Iverson uses this more than anyone in the league IMO.

The second is post position and smashing a player in deeper with the shoulder. Shaq's the biggest offender but pretty much every post player uses this.

Pretty sad. My guess is we're going to see a LOT of fouls called on the perimeter where the offensive player gets the defender on his hip, then starts leaning into him - sort of a reverse "riding the player".

ChicagoJ
10-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Why can't they just call fouls and traveling in the way the rules are written, instead of dream up goofy scenarios in which a foul, by rule, either is or isn't a foul based on where the player is on the court?

I'm one of those fans that didn't complain the last time the league tried to crack down on fouling by calling all the fouls - yes I know the early games that season had no rhythym, but it takes patience and the players and coaches *will* learn to adjust to the officials if the league proves it has the uh, gumption, to stick with it.

The 'booing' that you'll hear might not be directed at the officials stopping the game frequently, it might be directed at the arrogant players who think the officials must adjust to thier style of play.

The problem now is that nobody believes the league will have enough, uh, discipline to stick with it.

Anthem
10-11-2004, 11:59 AM
"insure" -> "ensure"

What a hack. Get that man an editor.

TheSauceMaster
10-11-2004, 01:12 PM
No Blood , No Foul :devil:

GEL
10-11-2004, 01:19 PM
This concerns me a great deal. We are the forearm kings! And those are habits that die hard. Most of these players have been playing defense that way their entire careers.

I hope that the refs really look for who initiates the contact and call it as such........or are the offensive players going to be allowed to lean into the defender, thus causing a foul to be called on the defender??

:confused:

Kegboy
10-11-2004, 04:30 PM
My first reaction when I saw this on HoopsHype was "***** this!"

However, the more I think about it, it doesn't matter. Refs have been calling forearm checks on us for years.

*******s.

clownskull
10-13-2004, 11:53 AM
wow, it sounds like everyone will be getting the jordan protection rule this year. this sounds pretty lame to me. ultimately, this is just another one of david stern's retarded efforts to make up for the fact so few guys can really shoot anymore.

Lord Helmet
10-13-2004, 09:28 PM
No Blood , No Foul :devil:
Hey thats a qoute from the Pacer Guy's sign. :laugh: I have seen him carrying it around Conseco.

Fool
10-13-2004, 11:39 PM
100 free throws were shot in the opening Piston preseason game.

100 freaking free throws.