PDA

View Full Version : Guess The Score - Official Rules

RoboDoug
10-10-2004, 10:51 PM
This thread describes the rules and procedures for the Guess the Score contest. It is not the actual contest, and guesses in this thread will be ignored.

RoboDoug will post a "guess-the-score" thread two days before each game. To make a guess, post your guess in that thread. 15 minutes before the game begins, RoboDoug will read the guesses and post a summary. Once RoboDoug reads the thread, no more guesses are accepted, even if they come between the time RoboDoug reads the thread and the time he posts the summary.

RoboDoug will also post his guess when he posts the summary. RoboDoug is a remorseless guessing machine. He will never make the same guess as somebody else, but he has no problem guessing only one point different from somebody.

Once the game is complete, RoboDoug will post the winner in the guess-the-score thread. If RoboDoug wins, he'll post the runner-up and give them credit for a win as well.

The first two numbers in your post are taken as your score. The text block immediately preceeding the numbers is used to determine which team the number goes with. If the text block contains "Ind" or "Pacers", then the number after it is assumed to be the Pacer's score. Failing that, the parser tends to take the second number as the Pacer score but might not do that every time. Better to be on safe side. Also, formatting such as colors and bold and quotes and smilies and such can throw off RoboDoug. Use at your own risk.

Good examples:

Pacers 88
Knicks 87

Pacers-88,Knicks-87

Indy 103-83

Pacers 103
Bad guys 102

Knicks 87, Pacers 83

Pacers88TheEvilKnicks87

Bad examples:

88-87 Pacers

Good guys 88
bad guys 87

Last time they played it was 88-87, it will be a higher-scoring game this time, so I'll go Pacers 93, Knicks 88.

pacers 83 knicks 81I'll go Pacers 84, knicks 81. :)

Knicks win 90-82.

Pacers lose 90-82

90 Pacers
82 Knicks

You may guess more than once, but only your last guess counts. There are no "continency picks". For example, your guess can't be "If Harrington plays, then the Pacers win 93-80. If he doesn't, Knicks win 90-82." RoboDoug will count the first valid guess he sees. In that example, it's Pacers 93-80.

To determine the winner, difference between your picks for each team and their real score is added together. That is your "off by". The lowest "off-by" wins. For example, you pick Pacers 90, Knicks 80. The real score is Pacers 81, Knicks 95. You are off by 24. (90-81) + (95-80).

But wait! That's not all. There is a second contest as well. RoboDoug also scores your guess on your ability to correctly pick the winner of the game. This is also know as "Will's Game".

Prizes: There are no prizes. Sorry. The recognition of your peers will have to do.

Now and then, RoboDoug will post a list of the winners to date in the Guess The Score game. He will also post the current standings in "Will's Game".

Doug
10-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Happy Anthem? :-)

In other notes, the next time it will say "Bender" instead of "Harrington".

MSA2CF
10-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Good work. :thumbsup:

Anthem
10-11-2004, 12:15 AM
:devil:

Actually I haven't used RoboDoug in forever, and I couldn't remember if I had to go by team or by city.

ChicagoJ
10-11-2004, 11:22 AM
What happens if two people guess the exact same score?

I think I know the answer to this one, but what happens if two people guess the same points, but reverse the winners and losers?

ForEx, I pick Pacers 84; Knicks 82. Rimfire picks Knicks 84; Pacers 82. Total game points = 166

Actual score, Knicks 85, Pacers 81... Total game points = 166.

I think that means that RoboDoug will determine that I'm off by six points, while Rimfire is off by only 2 points.

Doug
10-11-2004, 11:30 AM

They tie.

I think I know the answer to this one, but what happens if two people guess the same points, but reverse the winners and losers?

ForEx, I pick Pacers 84; Knicks 82. Rimfire picks Knicks 84; Pacers 82. Total game points = 166

I think that means that RoboDoug will determine that I'm off by six points, while Rimfire is off by only 2 points.

You are correct. Point total doesn't matter. "Off-by" does:

To determine the winner, difference between your picks for each team and their real score is added together. That is your "off by". The lowest "off-by" wins. For example, you pick Pacers 90, Knicks 80. The real score is Pacers 81, Knicks 95. You are off by 24. (90-81) + (95-80).

ChicagoJ
10-11-2004, 11:41 AM

They tie.

You are correct. Point total doesn't matter. "Off-by" does:

Two more scenarios (I'm trying to make sure I understand the "absolute value" effect here...)

IndyToad, on his gloomiest day, picked Knicks 86, Pacers 80. Total score again 166 (I know, doesn't matter), he's also off by two. Does he tie Rimfire?

If RoboDoug picked Knicks 86, Pacers 82 (total score 188 but still irrelevant), he'd also off by two. Is this a three-way tie with RoboDoug, Rimfire and Toad?

Doug
10-11-2004, 12:00 PM
Yep, 3 way tie.

A more interesting and largely uknown scenario is this:

IndyToad picks Knicks 86 Pacers 80
Rimfire picks Knicks 84 Pacers 82
RoboDoug picks Knicks 85 Pacers 82

Acutal score Knicks 85 Pacers 81

Who wins?

You'd think RoboDoug, right? He's off by 1. Rimfire and IndyToad are both off by 2.

Actually, all three get a "win", because if RoboDoug wins I also give a "win" to the closest human player. I'm certainly willing to change that rule. It complicates things and puts RoboDoug at a disadvantage. But I thought it wouldn't be fair if RoboDoug won all the time. As it turns out, last year was the first year he's actually won the contest for the year - I think he was maybe two wins better than the closest human.

Y'all let me know if you think you can compete on a level playing field with the remorseless guessing machine.