PDA

View Full Version : Pacers 3rd best player is? And what is your 9 man rotation

Unclebuck
10-08-2004, 05:12 PM
I started this post only to discuss the 9 man rotation but that started to bore me, so I thought of something more fun. Who do you expect to be the Pacers 3rd best player. Last year I thought Al was clearly the Pacers 3rd best player despite his faults

Define "Best" anyway you like. I could make a case for Tinsley, Foster or Jackson, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that Bender will be the 3rd best player by Christmas and for the last 2/3 of the season. He will be a matchup nightmare for the opponents and will be unstoppable at times.

Bender finishing a lot of games this season and he more than jackson wil take the scoring pressure off of Artest and J.O.

Now to the rotation breakdown

Here is my prediction.

Tinsley: 32 minutes - He can only hold up for about 16 minutes a half, and we know Carlisle liked AJ.

Reggie Miller: 22 minutes -
Ron Artest: 38 minutes
Jermaine O'Neal: 38 minutes
Jeff Foster: 22 minutes

That leaves 88 minutes for the bench

Jackson: 27 minutes
AJ: 16
Bender: 31

If you assume that is a deent estimate, then that leaves 18 minutes for anyone else who plays. More than likely those 18 minutes will be split between Fred Jones and Croshere.

I don't expect Harison to play much at all. Pollard will only play in games against big centers, like Shaq, Z, TD.

Roy Munson
10-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Estimated Pacers Minutes (Pre-Bender Injury)

Tinsley 30
Reggie Miller 18
Artest 36
O'Neal 36
Foster 18

102 for the bench:

Jackson 30
Bender 24 (prior to his injury)
AJ 18
FJ 18
Croshere/Pollard/Harrison 12

They'd be wise to not over-use ONeal and Artest during regular season games (especially against bad teams) to make sure there is plenty left in the tank for the playoffs. The Pacers depth ought to give Carlisle the luxury of keeping the minutes spread out more than last season.

ChicagoJ
10-08-2004, 05:50 PM
I see this:

C - JO - 40 mpg; AC or Harrison, 8 mpg
PF - Foster - 20mpg; JB 28 mpg
SF - Artest - 38 mpg; SJax - 10 mpg
SG - Uncle - 18 mpg; SJax - 22 mpg; Fred - 8 mpg
PG - Tinley - 35 mpg; AJ - 13 mpg

which means a ten-man rotation of:
JO - 40
Ron - 38
Tins - 35
Sjax - 32
Bender - 28
Foster - 20
Uncle - 18
AJ - 13
Cro - 8
FJ - 8

Total = 240

Come playoff time, say goodbye to Cro and Freddie, and you've got a solid 8-man rotation.

EDIT - third best player?

I'm thinking that Tinsley will be the team's second best player this year, making it even more important for him to be able to last more than 32 mpg. So I guess the thrid-best player will be Ron or JB.

Peck
10-08-2004, 06:28 PM
The easy answer is Jamaal Tinsley.

But in my gut I want to say our third best overall player is going to be Fred Jones. I'm just that high on him. It has nothing to do with his dunking either, although that is nice.

I just think this guy is a monster on the defensive end & his shooting ability jumped by leaps & bounds last year.

Bender is what Bender is. He will have moments that will be breathtaking. But then he will have moments where we will be yelling "do something".

Fred though, IMO, just looks to me like he is really starting to get it.

That is why I wasn't as excited about Jackson coming here. Don't get me wrong, I will give that trade a chance because it made sense. But I just think Freddy was ready to take over from Reggie.

Roy Munson
10-08-2004, 06:38 PM
The easy answer is Jamaal Tinsley.

But in my gut I want to say our third best overall player is going to be Fred Jones. I'm just that high on him. It has nothing to do with his dunking either, although that is nice.

I just think this guy is a monster on the defensive end & his shooting ability jumped by leaps & bounds last year.

Bender is what Bender is. He will have moments that will be breathtaking. But then he will have moments where we will be yelling "do something".

Fred though, IMO, just looks to me like he is really starting to get it.

That is why I wasn't as excited about Jackson coming here. Don't get me wrong, I will give that trade a chance because it made sense. But I just think Freddy was ready to take over from Reggie.

I agree with your Freddy comments. I think that one of the motivations behind the SJax move was that he can play 2 or 3. It gives the Pacers some flexibility to trade Artest should the need arise, because they could slide SJax over to 3. At the time they made the trade, they were probably also considering moving Artest. They might still be, if the deal is right.

Destined4Greatness
10-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Stephen Jackson or Tinsley, probably Jackson, even though I would rather see it be Tinsley.

Bball
10-08-2004, 07:43 PM

Do you think Reggie has improved to change that? Assuming Reggie is on par with last year... or trending downward as he has been... then 'IF' Reggie's minutes are cut back there would still be some room for Freddie (if he is still trending upward).

With the way things are around us (Detroit should be tougher... Miami should be tougher) can we afford to give Reggie many legacy minutes even if we give him legacy starts? The fact is, THIS window of opportunity we find ourselves in might not stay open for us as long as in the past.

As for 3rd best player... Is that the same as 3rd most important player? Thinking of it one way I think Tinsley could rank #2 but by the other criteria 3rd wouldn't be unexpected.

It won't be Bender. Bender at best will be good for some 'moments' and some points off the bench in some games. ...that is until the other team adjusts (which probably means getting physical) and then he fades... maybe even gets injured.

-Bball

Kegboy
10-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I don't know if Tinsley's our 3rd "best" player, but he's easily the 3rd most important. Maybe higher.

beast23
10-08-2004, 11:06 PM
I really don't know who the 3rd best player is.

Freddie was rapidly becoming one of my favorites as well.

But, as far as the 3rd highest scorer on the team this season goes. My money is on Reggie, even if he does play fewer minutes this year than last.

I'm liking what he's saying about being more agressive and getting to the line more. And looking for his shot more in order to provide better support from the perimeter.

MSA2CF
10-08-2004, 11:10 PM
3rd best, most effective? I'm going to be the only person in the world to say Reggie Miller, so here goes: Reggie Miller.

Ultimate Frisbee
10-08-2004, 11:17 PM
Jermaine O'Neal... :devil::devil: hahahhhaha

Bball
10-08-2004, 11:51 PM
3rd best, most effective? I'm going to be the only person in the world to say Reggie Miller, so here goes: Reggie Miller.

Except for the poster above you! :devil:

The things Reggie is saying do sound good but haven't we heard about the same thing ever since his production began to nosedive? The only thing that strikes me as new is his talk about getting to the line.

-Bball

MSA2CF
10-09-2004, 12:03 AM
Okay, okay; so I don't read other people's posts, especially the ones before mine! :laugh:

MSA2CF
10-09-2004, 12:05 AM
I haven't even read Reggie's new comments. I'm going off of what I think will happen. I have no clue what Reggie has said; all I know is Will Galen's thread's subject.

SoupIsGood
10-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Our third best overall player is Bender. He may not play at all next year, but he is a better basketball player than anyone on our team other than Ronnie and JO. This isn't counting injuries or the pressure of thousands of fans watching, just skills.

Tinsley is our third most important.

Bball
10-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Our third best overall player is Bender. He may not play at all next year, but he is a better basketball player than anyone on our team other than Ronnie and JO. This isn't counting injuries or the pressure of thousands of fans watching, just skills.

The more time Bender can spend on the bench or in street clothes... the bigger his legend grows? Hmmm... interesting...

;)
Bball

Arcadian
10-09-2004, 02:14 PM
I'd go with Tinsley being our third best player. As far as playing time I'd agree with Buck's projections except I wouldn't be surprised (though a bit disappointed) if Reggie didn't get more minutes. 22 is on the low end.

How do people feel about the person we traded Al for isn't being projected to be third in talent, points or minutes?

howboutanicebrew_er
10-10-2004, 12:32 AM
C'mon, everyone knows it's James Jones;)

Seriously though, my dad and I went to a game last year where JJ was on the court just shooting around. He hit near 10 straight 3's. Of course, in the game, I think he airballed one or two, but, dang, he looked REAL good in practice. And, in the summer league, he did fairly well, so, maybe he'll have confidence and play more/better.

But, I'm not sure who the third best is. There's JO, Artest, and....I'll have to say Reggie.

Unclebuck
10-10-2004, 10:01 AM
I am surprised more of you aren't saying Jackson is the Pacers third best player.

Can I infer then that many of you think trading Al for Jackson was a mistake. Afterall AL was the 3rd best player last season

SoupIsGood
10-10-2004, 10:17 AM
I don't think trading Al was really a mistake, but I think Al is the better player.

Anthem
10-10-2004, 12:35 PM
I don't think Al would have been 3rd this year... I think he would have been 4th (behind Tinsley). Right now I have Jackson in the same place.