PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose MVP Speech

vnzla81
05-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Hate the guy all you want but this guy is a nice person and he deserves what he is getting, amazing speech.
(starts at 2:38)

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TeobgK_RvgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillS
05-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I like Rose as a person, I hope he can stay this way and not let the fame go to his head.

90'sNBARocked
05-04-2011, 02:59 PM
By listening to him , you would never expect to learn he grew up in a neighboorhood on the south side of Chicago, Englewood, that is about as rough as it gets

see you can be from the hood, but you dont have to speak/act like a hood

pacer4ever
05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
By listening to him , you would never expect to learn he grew up in a neighboorhood on the south side of Chicago, Englewood, that is about as rough as it gets

His speech ablity has gotten better though the years I think he has taken classes.

Kstat
05-04-2011, 03:10 PM

Yes, if only all kids from the hood grew up receiving full scholarships and multi million dollar NBA gigs... :rolleyes:

spreedom
05-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Did he thank the guy that helped him with his SAT?

kielbeze
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
I bet Paul Georges speech is way better!

90'sNBARocked
05-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Yes, if only all kids from the hood grew up receiving full scholarships and multi million dollar NBA gigs... :rolleyes:

Debbie Downer

You always have something negative to say

Cant be proud of a guy to make good

I dont know your motive here but you seem to really enjoy making an *** out of yourself

with that old as Detroit picture, mayor of nothing

whatever, PM me if you want

90'sNBARocked
05-04-2011, 05:05 PM
His speech ablity has gotten better though the years I think he has taken classes.

He doesnt carry himself with a sense of entitlement, he is not arrogant or condeseding

Day-V
05-04-2011, 05:13 PM
He doesnt carry himself with a sense of entitlement, he is not arrogant or condeseding

Still can't stand the guy. I know, I know. Irrational.

90'sNBARocked
05-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Still can't stand the guy. I know, I know. Irrational.

as a basketball player, or a human being , or some combination?

QuickRelease
05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Yes, if only all kids from the hood grew up receiving full scholarships and multi million dollar NBA gigs... :rolleyes:You think only non-talented kids flush their lives away with poor choices? There are D-Rose talent-level people out there who never could get out of their own way. He's where he is for a reason.

PacerDude
05-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Maybe Lance should talk to Rose ............... might pick up an idea or 3.

King Tuts Tomb
05-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I like watching Rose play basketball but there there might not be a more boring person in the league. Monotone voice, far-away look in the eyes, cliché-ridden speech.

90'sNBARocked
05-04-2011, 06:06 PM
I like watching Rose play basketball but there there might not be a more boring person in the league. Monotone voice, far-away look in the eyes, cliché-ridden speech.

Hello, grew up watching Jordan

:)

rock747
05-04-2011, 10:12 PM
I was cool with it until it cut to a shot of Noah.

graphic-er
05-04-2011, 10:23 PM
You think only non-talented kids flush their lives away with poor choices? There are D-Rose talent-level people out there who never could get out of their own way. He's where he is for a reason.

Yeah by getting some one to take his SAT's for him so that he could get into Kalipari's program.

JEM
05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Meh.. The media gave him the MVP a long long time ago. Dirk IMO was more deserving.

QuickRelease
05-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Yeah by getting some one to take his SAT's for him so that he could get into Kalipari's program.So he made a mistake. You're going to tether that to him forever?

Mr_Smith
05-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Did he thank the guy that helped him with his SAT?

Not condoning the SAT thing but that had nothing to do with his performance this season.

ECKrueger
05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Still not a fan.

vnzla81
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
This was supposed to be a thread for people to see that Rose is a regular humble person, not only that but it was nice for him to tell all those nice things to his mom, too bad nobody got to see that :rolleyes:

Constellations
05-04-2011, 11:33 PM
So he made a mistake. You're going to tether that to him forever?

Yes.

90'sNBARocked
05-05-2011, 09:40 AM
This was supposed to be a thread for people to see that Rose is a regular humble person, not only that but it was nice for him to tell all those nice things to his mom, too bad nobody got to see that :rolleyes:

I saw it fam

It was a nice video, thanks

pacers101
05-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Hes a good kid. Too bad he plays for the Bulls who are in our division and will probably be our biggest rival over the next 10 years...

DemonHunter1105
05-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I respect Derrick Rose for seeming to be a good person while growing up in an environment where he could have easily got into bad crowds and ruined his future.

But...aren't people supposed to be good? I'm not going over the top crazy because he became a good person from a bad neighborhood. Similar to Danny growing up in a bad part of NO. Yeah, I am glad Danny became a great guy that didn't get into any criminal activity and has his priorities straight but seems kind of silly to give him accolades because he didn't become a bad guy.

If he had a bad upbringing and turned out bad, I could see people using that as part of the reason for him becoming the person he is without too much argument.

The worst scenario in my mind, is someone given every chance to succeed with a good environment and support and then turning down the wrong path.

Just my opinion.

Basketball Fan
05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm not a fan of his but its more because he plays for the Bulls than Derrick Rose himself.

That being said I found the speech to be rather heartfelt.

Kstat
05-05-2011, 01:47 PM
You think only non-talented kids flush their lives away with poor choices? There are D-Rose talent-level people out there who never could get out of their own way. He's where he is for a reason.

The point is that there are plenty of kids even with talent that had their lives flushed away for them. It's silly to look at Derrick Rose and say "if he can do it, anybody from the hood can do it!"

Since86
05-05-2011, 02:00 PM
It's silly to look at Derrick Rose and say "if he can do it, anybody from the hood can do it!"

Really? It's silly?

And here I thought it was just another example of the American Dream. But if you say it's silly.....

90'sNBARocked
05-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Really? It's silly?

And here I thought it was just another example of the American Dream. But if you say it's silly.....

yep lets just strip all motivation we can from them

Its always comical to me how people who have never lived in an enviornment like Rose is from, pass judgement without having a clue what its like to grow up in that enviornment

graphic-er
05-05-2011, 03:13 PM
So he made a mistake. You're going to tether that to him forever?

It shows a lack of character does it not?
He didn't have to go to college and essentially commit fraud to get where he is at, did he? He could have did the Brandon Jennings thing. Thats one more kid who didn't get a scholarship at Memphis that year. Sorry there are people who actually take school seriously and not as just a stepping stone to the NBA.

Kstat
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
yep lets just strip all motivation we can from them

Its always comical to me how people who have never lived in an enviornment like Rose is from, pass judgement without having a clue what its like to grow up in that enviornment

..and yet that's what you just did. I was doing the exact opposite.

Sookie
05-05-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think for a second that Rose set up that SAT thing by himself.

Let's be honest, he's not smart enough to think of that.

graphic-er
05-05-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't think for a second that Rose set up that SAT thing by himself.

Let's be honest, he's not smart enough to think of that.

He was certainly responsible for it, its his test scores. Maybe some sports agent guru presented the opportunity, but it falls on him in the end.

Sookie
05-05-2011, 03:36 PM
He was certainly responsible for it, its his test scores. Maybe some sports agent guru presented the opportunity, but it falls on him in the end.

He's responsible in the end. But it was another example of a 17 year old taking the fall for a greedy (or a few greedy) adult(s)

Kinda makes you wonder about those free throws though.

ilive4sports
05-05-2011, 03:46 PM

Stop acting all self-righteous. This happens all over the country with big recruits. Hell this happens with people just going to college.

Memphis made good money off of Derrick Rose. John Callipari made good money of Derrick Rose. They knew they needed him to come in to their school at all costs. This is college athletics. It's not about education. Top recruits aren't going for class. They are going for sports. Thats all they want to be there for and thats all the school wants them to be there for. It's not pretty. It's not legal. It's wide spread. It has been this way for awhile and I don't see anything changing any time soon. And most of the time, it's not even the players coming up with this.

Since86
05-05-2011, 03:51 PM
Stop acting all self-righteous. This happens all over the country with big recruits. Hell this happens with people just going to college.

Memphis made good money off of Derrick Rose. John Callipari made good money of Derrick Rose. They knew they needed him to come in to their school at all costs. This is college athletics. It's not about education. Top recruits aren't going for class. They are going for sports. Thats all they want to be there for and thats all the school wants them to be there for. It's not pretty. It's not legal. It's wide spread. It has been this way for awhile and I don't see anything changing any time soon. And most of the time, it's not even the players coming up with this.

Murder happens all the time, so does that mean I should go out and kill someone? (Yes, hyperbole)

You want to blame everyone else but the person who ultimately broke the rules. That's kind of backwards.

spreedom
05-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Amazing that people are actually defending Rose and the fact that he cheated on the SAT, like he had no knowledge of it happening.

Since86
05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
He's responsible in the end. But it was another example of a 17 year old taking the fall for a greedy (or a few greedy) adult(s)

Kinda makes you wonder about those free throws though.

And here's the difference.

Graphic is holding Derrick to the same standard as everyone else. Everyone is wrong. Yet you're making excuses for one party, while blaming another.

All of them are wrong, including Derrick Rose. Enough with the excuses about other people doing it, or other people being responsible for it.

Derrick knew it was wrong, he decided to break the rules. He deserves whatever punishment or negative opinions that are thrown his way because of it.

Self-responsibility. A concept that doesn't mean much today.

90'sNBARocked
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Even if he did. I am pretty confident that there is not one of us who has yet to make a mistake in life

I'd rather focus on the present/future then look back at the past

Since enterining the league Rose has been nothing but class, and thats a good thing

Sookie
05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
And here's the difference.

Graphic is holding Derrick to the same standard as everyone else. Everyone is wrong. Yet you're making excuses for one party, while blaming another.

All of them are wrong, including Derrick Rose. Enough with the excuses about other people doing it, or other people being responsible for it.

Derrick knew it was wrong, he decided to break the rules. He deserves whatever punishment or negative opinions that are thrown his way because of it.

Self-responsibility. A concept that doesn't mean much today.

No, he was definitely wrong. And quite frankly deserves all the jokes that fly his way. I don't know what sort of punishment you get from that, but whatever it is, he earned it.

But I blame the adults that influenced him in that situation more than him. It's like when an agent gives an amateur a fancy sports car. Yes, the 16/17 year old technically knows better...but you seriously just gave a 16/17 year old a sports car...for free. And my point is. Rose took the fall for it completely. We don't have a clue who "helped" him out there (other than maybe Calipari), but we know what Rose did. It's the adults who didn't have to face any accountability. As it always is in the NCAA.

graphic-er
05-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Even if he did. I am pretty confident that there is not one of us who has yet to make a mistake in life

I'd rather focus on the present/future then look back at the past

Since enterining the league Rose has been nothing but class, and thats a good thing

Has he even owned up to making the mistake? I've never read any statement from him on the matter.

Since86
05-05-2011, 04:49 PM
No, he was definitely wrong. And quite frankly deserves all the jokes that fly his way. I don't know what sort of punishment you get from that, but whatever it is, he earned it.

But I blame the adults that influenced him in that situation more than him. It's like when an agent gives an amateur a fancy sports car. Yes, the 16/17 year old technically knows better...but you seriously just gave a 16/17 year old a sports car...for free. And my point is. Rose took the fall for it completely. We don't have a clue who "helped" him out there (other than maybe Calipari), but we know what Rose did. It's the adults who didn't have to face any accountability. As it always is in the NCAA.

None of them face any accountability. The kids or the agents.

The kids need punished, the agents need punished, the school needs punished, the coaches need punished.

All of them. No exceptions, and no "wrist slaps."

I think the very least thing the NCAA ought to do is go back and make the players financially responsible for their schooling. Charge them the same that non-scholarship students paid during their tenure at the school.

I know it wouldn't hurt DRose that much, but guys that don't know if they will make it will sure think twice.

90'sNBARocked
05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Has he even owned up to making the mistake? I've never read any statement from him on the matter.

Not sure

but If I want to be forgiven for my mistakes, then I must forgive others

If thats the worst thing Rose has done, it doesnt make it right, but again I prefer to look at once he came into the league I think his maturity his been ahead of his time

I love how people can dismiss AJ stealing laptops but Rose should be chastized about something thats aledgedly happened when he was 17

90'sNBARocked
05-05-2011, 05:36 PM

The kids need punished, the agents need punished, the school needs punished, the coaches need punished.

I think the very least thing the NCAA ought to do is go back and make the players financially responsible for their schooling. Charge them the same that non-scholarship students paid during their tenure at the school.

I know it wouldn't hurt DRose that much, but guys that don't know if they will make it will sure think twice.

Honestly do you think we could ever stop all the illegal *** that goes on in NCAA recruiting and such?

Doesnt mean try and make it better, but its like the "war on drugs" it will be a war that goes on as long as people are alive

SMosley21
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
When did it become common-place to shower rivals with compliments and what not? Screw Derrick Rose and the Bulls! This isn't ChicagoBullsDigest.com. The whole world knows how good he is, so let them ride his jock. Not gonna see any of that hogwash from me. Fans are becoming just as soft as the play in the NBA.

Kstat
05-05-2011, 06:03 PM
I thought him thanking his mother transcended the fact I'm a pistons fan...

SMosley21
05-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I thought him thanking his mother transcended the fact I'm a pistons fan...

Him thanking momma Rose is all well and good, but for Pacers fans to be in here showing so much love to the guy that just single-handedly eliminated our team from the playoffs should be a strike against fanhood. I respect Rose, but no way am I gonna sit here and defend him as if he's one of our own. I'm still bitter about the playoffs, so what. I never saw anyone applaunding any of the Knicks for their personality away from the basketball court. Leave that crap to the Bulls PR team and their fans.

Let it be known that I'm not 100% serious with these comments. I just don't like a rival player being heaped praise so soon after we just had to sit through his dominating performance and the horrendous Bulls fans that invaded Conseco.

Sookie
05-05-2011, 07:14 PM

Rose has to deal with it publicly, which honestly is a bigger deal than paying back his one year scholarship.

No matter what he does, he'll always have to deal with that. yea, it's not THAT big of a deal. But it's some accountability.

Once again, no one knows who "helped" Rose out. And you better believe some adults did. And that's what is so shady.

Don't get me wrong, Rose isn't a victim, but he's not the only one to blame. And it's just not right that the "kid" had to take the entire fall for it.

immortality
05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
You guys are reading too much into this, he is the most valuable player for the Bulls team, and you should congratulate him on his current achievements. Some of you believe you are entitled to a higher opinion just because he cheated on his SAT, but who gives a **** about the SAT now. Unless you do horribly, the SAT has never had as much effect as the other requirements on an application.

Oliver
05-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Derrick Rose sucks and also he kinda smells bad.

pacer4ever
05-05-2011, 09:00 PM

It really is irrlevant

cdash
05-06-2011, 04:23 AM
I have so many terrible jokes about Derrick Rose, this thread, and the self-righteous people posting in this thread. Evidently, I'm an *******.

Constellations
05-06-2011, 04:30 AM
I have so many terrible jokes about Derrick Rose, this thread, and the self-righteous people posting in this thread. Evidently, I'm an *******.

I'd like to hear some if nobody minds lol :)

90'sNBARocked
05-06-2011, 08:54 AM

I think we all laugh at jokes cause we realize their just that..jokes

its the over the top pious self righteousness most find really boring

graphic-er
05-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Derrick Rose owes his MVP to the guy who took that test for him. With out that test score he would not have been admitted to Memphis, and would not have had the exposure of John Kalipari to be the number 1 draft pick. He would most likely be playing for some small community college in the Chicago area. Or he would have played a year overseas and came to the NBA. He would not have been the #1 draft pick playing for the Chicago bulls.

I'd feel pretty terrible if all my good fortunes whether i worked hard at them or not was all dependent on having somebody else take a test for me, basically committing fraud.

Just sayin...

immortality
05-06-2011, 11:39 AM
I bet they would have found a way to get him on the team, even if he did get horrible scores.

Just sayinn......

naptownmenace
05-06-2011, 11:48 AM
The point is that there are plenty of kids even with talent that had their lives flushed away for them. It's silly to look at Derrick Rose and say "if he can do it, anybody from the hood can do it!"

Sorry, Kstat but that's way off the mark. Probably one of the most incorrect things you've ever typed.

You can take anyone that grew up in a rough situation and use them as role model when they succeed through hard work and effort. No one is saying it will work for every kid in that situation but even if it works for just 1, that's a positive thing.

pacer4ever
05-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Derrick Rose owes his MVP to the guy who took that test for him. With out that test score he would not have been admitted to Memphis, and would not have had the exposure of John Kalipari to be the number 1 draft pick. He would most likely be playing for some small community college in the Chicago area. Or he would have played a year overseas and came to the NBA. He would not have been the #1 draft pick playing for the Chicago bulls.

I'd feel pretty terrible if all my good fortunes whether i worked hard at them or not was all dependent on having somebody else take a test for me, basically committing fraud.

Just sayin...

give me a break he would be in the NBA reguardless of his SAT could have gone to Euro league or a Junior College and still been the #1 pick He would have been the #1 pick stright out of HS if they would have let him come out. He was the concenus #1 before he stepped on campus at Memphis.

Since86
05-06-2011, 12:42 PM

Uh what?

I think the rest of us are just tired of hearing bull**** excuses for people when the screw up.

Everytime Lance is brought up you say things like "those without sin cast the first stone" and stuff like that. It's not about judging them, it's not about propping myself up at their expense.

It's about them acting like a damn adult and excepting responsibility for their actions. When Mike Wells calls Lance out for being immature, you say Mike hates him.

How about we stop with the excuses as to why everyone is being so hard on Lance and just hold Lance, and Derrick Rose, to the same standard we would hold ourselves?

What a crazy idea.

immortality
05-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Uh what?

I think the rest of us are just tired of hearing bull**** excuses for people when the screw up.

Everytime Lance is brought up you say things like "those without sin cast the first stone" and stuff like that. It's not about judging them, it's not about propping myself up at their expense.

It's about them acting like a damn adult and excepting responsibility for their actions. When Mike Wells calls Lance out for being immature, you say Mike hates him.

How about we stop with the excuses as to why everyone is being so hard on Lance and just hold Lance, and Derrick Rose, to the same standard we would hold ourselves?

What a crazy idea.

Probably because Rose has improved in basketball so much that he can back up his lack of other skills with his amazing affinity for basketball. You never get good at anything by just osmosis, Rose worked hard for it. Lance on the other hand continues to fail at every aspect of life, from the rumors we have heard.

Since86
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I've yet to hear any rumors about Lance's work ethic.

pacer4ever
05-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I've yet to hear any rumors about Lance's work ethic.

I havent ethier he plays around to much but from everything I 've heard and seen he works a lot at basketball.

cdash
05-06-2011, 02:47 PM
I think we all laugh at jokes cause we realize their just that..jokes

Sometimes on the internet it's hard to tell what is a joke and what isn't, etc. That's why I passed :laugh:

90'sNBARocked
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Uh what?

What a crazy idea.

Thats very sweet to think all equals out and everything fits in a nice tight box with black and white

Please also dont misquote me , if you find a post of mine where I said "Mike Wells Hates Lance" then I will not post for a week

I dont think life is so black and white. Do I think it takes greater mental strength to over come growing up in a poverty stricken, crime and drug infested area like Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn or West side Chicago then say somewhere like Carmel , IN or Whillmete, IL ?

Absofreakinlutely!!!

So I do not think you can have an answer without taking other factors into consideration. If you compair two kids one who grew up in a middle class suburb with both mom and dad present, with a nice combined income, in a safe and protected neighboorhood vs a kid who grew up in a single parent home, in a violent gang and crime ridden area, and whose family was under the poverty line. It is a totally different compairson

I dont think it is unreasonable to expect to have different expectations growing up

I am not advocating making excuses for having a more difficult road to travel, but to look blindly at the situation and not consider those factors would be nieve

for the most part though I do enjoy reading your posts. straight up

90'sNBARocked
05-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Sometimes on the internet it's hard to tell what is a joke and what isn't, etc. That's why I passed :laugh:

LOL

I know bro, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Since86
05-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Rules are in place for all levels of society, not just the middle class. You're giving people built in excuses for when they break them.

ilive4sports
05-06-2011, 05:14 PM
If Derrick Rose were drafted by the Pacers and won this MVP, none of you would be saying a thing about his SAT.

SkipperZ
05-06-2011, 07:44 PM
scoring well on the SAT has absolutely no bearing on his basketball career. To say his career wouldve turned out so differently if he didn't cheat on the SAT is ludicrous.

the only reason he had to cheat on the SAT is because the NBA has a rule (which I think is silly) forcing him to play one year in college when he wouldve been a top 5 pick coming out of high school. Going to memphis didn't make him a good basketball player or instill in him work ethic or any of the other things that made him as good as he is now.

and quite honestly cheating on the SAT doesnt make him a bad person either. If someone told me I had to take the MCAT to go to medical school in order to become a mechanic, and I already knew everything there was to know about cars, I'd probably pay someone to take the MCAT for me too. and so would any of you

hoosierguy
05-06-2011, 08:12 PM
and quite honestly cheating on the SAT doesnt make him a bad person either.

Complete garbage. His selfishness cost the University of Memphis men's basketball program 37 wins and a Final Four appearance.

Eric Gordon didn't cheat on his SATs. Neither did Greg Oden or Mike Conley.

ilive4sports
05-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Complete garbage. His selfishness cost the University of Memphis men's basketball program 37 wins and a Final Four appearance.

Eric Gordon didn't cheat on his SATs. Neither did Greg Oden or Mike Conley.

Sure technically it cost them all that in the record books, but really who cares? Just because they take it outta the history books doesn't mean they didn't do it.

And it was his selfishness? Ummm what about Calipari who probably arranged the whole damn thing? You think Rose is the one who did it and came up with the idea? I hope your not that naive. This was done by Calipari and others who wanted him at Memphis.

And those guys didn't cheat on their SAT's that you know of. But I'm pretty sure they got a lot of help in their classes like every other major college athlete.

hoosierguy
05-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Sure technically it cost them all that in the record books, but really who cares? Just because they take it outta the history books doesn't mean they didn't do it.

No, Memphis vacated those wins. Therefore, they never happened.

ilive4sports
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
No, Memphis vacated those wins. Therefore, they never happened.

On paper. But I watched them win those games and go to the final four. Nothing the NCAA says will change that.

shags
05-06-2011, 08:37 PM
scoring well on the SAT has absolutely no bearing on his basketball career. To say his career wouldve turned out so differently if he didn't cheat on the SAT is ludicrous.

This is the most important point anyone has made in this thread. Thank you.

graphic-er
05-07-2011, 01:09 AM

the only reason he had to cheat on the SAT is because the NBA has a rule (which I think is silly) forcing him to play one year in college when he wouldve been a top 5 pick coming out of high school. Going to memphis didn't make him a good basketball player or instill in him work ethic or any of the other things that made him as good as he is now.

and quite honestly cheating on the SAT doesnt make him a bad person either. If someone told me I had to take the MCAT to go to medical school in order to become a mechanic, and I already knew everything there was to know about cars, I'd probably pay someone to take the MCAT for me too. and so would any of you

Actually the silly rule does not force the player to go to college for one year. It just says they must wait one year before entering their name in the NBA draft. So he had another option that did require the completion of any standardized testing, and that would have been playing overseas or heck even playing in the ABA if he were so inclined.

If Derrick Rose had to spend a season playing Italy, who is to say where he would end up. Pretty sure Beasley would have easily locked up that #1 pick from that stand point, thus Rose would not be playing for Chicago.

SO your entire post is completely irrelevant. Cheating on the SAT does make him a very selfish person. There is some other player out there that did take a legit SAT and scored well enough to get to Memphis and might have been recruited by Kalipari if Derrick Rose did not cheat to get that spot. What about all the teams who had to play Derrick Rose and Memphis that year. What about the teams who had to play Memphis in the NCAA tournament? Lets not be so naive as to think that cheating on a test to achieve something besides a good test score doesn't have a massive ripple effect on others. Such unethical behavior shouldn't be so easily accepted by the masses.

SkipperZ
05-07-2011, 01:32 AM
Actually the silly rule does not force the player to go to college for one year. It just says they must wait one year before entering their name in the NBA draft. So he had another option that did require the completion of any standardized testing, and that would have been playing overseas or heck even playing in the ABA if he were so inclined.

If Derrick Rose had to spend a season playing Italy, who is to say where he would end up. Pretty sure Beasley would have easily locked up that #1 pick from that stand point, thus Rose would not be playing for Chicago.

SO your entire post is completely irrelevant. Cheating on the SAT does make him a very selfish person. There is some other player out there that did take a legit SAT and scored well enough to get to Memphis and might have been recruited by Kalipari if Derrick Rose did not cheat to get that spot. What about all the teams who had to play Derrick Rose and Memphis that year. What about the teams who had to play Memphis in the NCAA tournament? Lets not be so naive as to think that cheating on a test to achieve something besides a good test score doesn't have a massive ripple effect on others.

playing in europe was not and is still not a widespread option. if some 17/18 year old doesnt want to go off to some foreign country by himself for a year, a decision i would completely understand, he needs to go play college ball to stay in teh spotlight and maintain his draft status. In fact you even say if Rose went to play in Italy, Beasley would have locked up the #1 spot. You're probably right, and if that's the case, why wouldn't Rose rather find a way to play in Memphis rather than go play in Italy.

and selfish? his options were to go play in europe, which wouldve been a huge unknown considering brandon jennings hadnt done it yet, or sit around home for a year, or cheat on this test to go play basketball for a year in college and keep his game out there for scouts to watch. whether you call it selfish or not, it doesnt change the fact that he had to take a test that was absolutely meaningless as to (1) what he knew he would end up doing as a career, and (2) what memphis wanted him to do for them (i guarantee you if the NCAA didnt put in a minimum score for athletes Memphis wouldve recruited Rose if he left the entire test blank)

i know 2 things. 1, if the NBA didn't force players to do something for a year after HS before entering the draft, none of those people you say were affected by Rose's "selfishness" would have been affected the way you say. and 2, whether or not Derrick Rose played in Chicago, he'd still be a fantastic player.

And Eric Gordon, Mike Conley and Greg Oden didn't cheat on their SATs. But I guarantee you, if they couldn't pass it on their own, they wouldve, and I'd be saying the same thing about them. Its a completely arbitrary test for people who are clearly going to "school" to play basketball, and the schools they go to want them ONLY because they can play basketball and make money for them.

Yes, someone else theoretically could've taken Rose's spot on Memphis who hit the SAT requirement. Is it fair that a spot on a basketball team, from a school that only cares about how good the player is to fill that spot, goes to someone who is a worse basketball player but scored better on a test that has nothing to do with basketball? If you were up for a spot as a souz chef, and it was your dream to become a head chef, and you were the best damn chef in the country, but you lost the position because someone else, who was a worse chef than you, could run the 40 faster than you, would you think that were fair? woudl you think you were selfish if you had someone else run the 40 in your place?

ilive4sports
05-07-2011, 01:36 AM

SO your entire post is completely irrelevant. Cheating on the SAT does make him a very selfish person. There is some other player out there that did take a legit SAT and scored well enough to get to Memphis and might have been recruited by Kalipari if Derrick Rose did not cheat to get that spot. What about all the teams who had to play Derrick Rose and Memphis that year. What about the teams who had to play Memphis in the NCAA tournament? Lets not be so naive as to think that cheating on a test to achieve something besides a good test score doesn't have a massive ripple effect on others. Such unethical behavior shouldn't be so easily accepted by the masses.

Wait, do you really think Kalipari had nothing to do with Rose cheating on his SAT? You do know who John Kalipari is right? Hell it could be why Rose chose Memphis over Indiana and Illinois. Did Rose even take the SAT before he committed to Memphis?

graphic-er
05-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Wait, do you really think Kalipari had nothing to do with Rose cheating on his SAT? You do know who John Kalipari is right? Hell it could be why Rose chose Memphis over Indiana and Illinois. Did Rose even take the SAT before he committed to Memphis?

I don't see what it matters who helped him. Its not their SAT, its Rose's SAT, ultimate decision was made by him. My gosh you make it sound like Kalipari pulled up outside the testing center and offered Rose some candy and a bag of money while his doppelganger ran in and took the test for him.

graphic-er
05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
playing in europe was not and is still not a widespread option. if some 17/18 year old doesnt want to go off to some foreign country by himself for a year, a decision i would completely understand, he needs to go play college ball to stay in teh spotlight and maintain his draft status. In fact you even say if Rose went to play in Italy, Beasley would have locked up the #1 spot. You're probably right, and if that's the case, why wouldn't Rose rather find a way to play in Memphis rather than go play in Italy.

and selfish? his options were to go play in europe, which wouldve been a huge unknown considering brandon jennings hadnt done it yet, or sit around home for a year, or cheat on this test to go play basketball for a year in college and keep his game out there for scouts to watch. whether you call it selfish or not, it doesnt change the fact that he had to take a test that was absolutely meaningless as to (1) what he knew he would end up doing as a career, and (2) what memphis wanted him to do for them (i guarantee you if the NCAA didnt put in a minimum score for athletes Memphis wouldve recruited Rose if he left the entire test blank)

i know 2 things. 1, if the NBA didn't force players to do something for a year after HS before entering the draft, none of those people you say were affected by Rose's "selfishness" would have been affected the way you say. and 2, whether or not Derrick Rose played in Chicago, he'd still be a fantastic player.

And Eric Gordon, Mike Conley and Greg Oden didn't cheat on their SATs. But I guarantee you, if they couldn't pass it on their own, they wouldve, and I'd be saying the same thing about them. Its a completely arbitrary test for people who are clearly going to "school" to play basketball, and the schools they go to want them ONLY because they can play basketball and make money for them.

Yes, someone else theoretically could've taken Rose's spot on Memphis who hit the SAT requirement. Is it fair that a spot on a basketball team, from a school that only cares about how good the player is to fill that spot, goes to someone who is a worse basketball player but scored better on a test that has nothing to do with basketball? If you were up for a spot as a souz chef, and it was your dream to become a head chef, and you were the best damn chef in the country, but you lost the position because someone else, who was a worse chef than you, could run the 40 faster than you, would you think that were fair? woudl you think you were selfish if you had someone else run the 40 in your place?

I can't believe you can even make this argument.

EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO GET INTO COLLEGE FOR WHAT EVER REASON HAS TO TAKE AN SAT. Rose did not take an SAT.

Just because the alternative options are not the best does not mean they are not viable options. Again he could have played in Europe, he could have played in the ABA the CBA.

I went to art school, SATs were pointless to me as well, but I took them serious because I wanted to go to art school and learn art and design. So its no excuse to not take the SAT seriously just cause you want to play college basketball and eventually the NBA. There are ways around it without having to cheat. Ethics are not hard to understand.

And as for the the NCAA forcing things on people while the make money off them. No body forces anyone to do anything. Its pretty clear cut and dry. You want to play for College A and you want a full ride scholarship. Then you have to meet requirements ABC, etc... Its not an unjust and unfair system. Everyone has a choice.

Heck using your argument NBA teams shouldn't be able to make their players go out and do charitable events and such because it really has nothing to do with basketball.

cgehlhausen4
05-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Noah looking like a class act as always with his hoody on.....Dudes garbage. Congrats Drose. Pacers shoulda had them tho!

ilive4sports
05-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't see what it matters who helped him. Its not their SAT, its Rose's SAT, ultimate decision was made by him. My gosh you make it sound like Kalipari pulled up outside the testing center and offered Rose some candy and a bag of money while his doppelganger ran in and took the test for him.

No, I make it sound like Calipari told Rose not to worry about the SAT's, focus on basketball because thats your future. Don't worry about class, I take care of that. If you don't think Calipari uses this as a recruiting tool, then you just need to wake up.

You know why? Because Calipari has had more recruiting violations than any other major coach. Seriously, do you know who John Calipari is? Why do you think Bob Knight said what he said about Kentucky players not going to class during the season? Because John Calipari. He is one of the shadiest coaches I have ever seen in college basketball.

Stop being so naive when it comes to college athletics and major programs. Cheating happens all the time. It happens everywhere. Most of it doesn't get caught. Some schools are cleaner than others. I went to Penn State, a school that is pretty tough on players with their classes. But do I think the players don't receive some extra help? Hell no. I know they do.

College athletics has absolutely nothing to do with college as in higher education. They are a money making machine and thats all they care about. Some coaches do care about their players education. But winning does come first.

NCAA sports and athletes aren't as innocent as you like to think they are. And if you think the system isn't unfair to players, well I just don't know what to say. They make so much money off these kids its not even funny. Way more than any education would ever get them.

SycamoreKen
05-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Good for Rose. I hope he keeps his head on straight and doesn't self distruct like many others have.

pacer4ever
05-07-2011, 10:39 PM

knowing Calipari's track record that wouldnt surprise me at all. Calipari will do anything he can do to get the best recruits reguardless of rules.

KnicksRGarbage
05-08-2011, 02:17 AM
I skipped to the last page hoping this stupid argument was over, but alas...

Who :censored: cares? I'm not a D Rose fan in the least but seriously, who :censored: cares? If he's this good he would have made it in the league anyway. If you really think that bending of the rules, which is breaking of the rules before being caught, doesn't happen to set things in motion, then i wish I had that sunny of an outlook on life.
There are some colleges that dont REQUIRE SAT to attend and have sports teams. Not D1 I'm sure, but it could be used as an entry to transfer, so that argument is irrelevant. Even if he didnt get help with the scores and did terrible I'm sure the school would just give him the full ride anyhow. as pointed out, memphis didnt want rose for his academic prowess, they wanted his a** out on the court.
For one year, lawl.
But really, who :censored: cares?

SkipperZ
05-08-2011, 04:59 AM
I can't believe you can even make this argument.

EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO GET INTO COLLEGE FOR WHAT EVER REASON HAS TO TAKE AN SAT. Rose did not take an SAT.

Just because the alternative options are not the best does not mean they are not viable options. Again he could have played in Europe, he could have played in the ABA the CBA.

I went to art school, SATs were pointless to me as well, but I took them serious because I wanted to go to art school and learn art and design. So its no excuse to not take the SAT seriously just cause you want to play college basketball and eventually the NBA. There are ways around it without having to cheat. Ethics are not hard to understand.

And as for the the NCAA forcing things on people while the make money off them. No body forces anyone to do anything. Its pretty clear cut and dry. You want to play for College A and you want a full ride scholarship. Then you have to meet requirements ABC, etc... Its not an unjust and unfair system. Everyone has a choice.

Heck using your argument NBA teams shouldn't be able to make their players go out and do charitable events and such because it really has nothing to do with basketball.

if you went to art school, which im guessing you applied and got accepted to, they accepted you because they thought you were qualified to add some enrichment and diversity and etc. to their student body in a field of academia. Art or science or math or literature, they wanted you for your mind and whatever other things about you added to the environment they tried to create in their school.

If you went to art school, you took classes in art history which included a lot of reading and engaged in intellectual critique of artwork of your classmates, and wrote papers and the like. As in, they care about things the SAT is supposed to at least matter in. They care whether you know how to analyze a piece of writing or that 2+ 2 = 4.

say what you want about how well the SAT tests your intellectual abilities, or how relevant the SAT is to how well you do in art design (im sure its not) but the SAT is absolutely relevant to a school thats trying to pick students at least somewhat based on their intellectual abilities.

Memphis did not care one bit about whether Derrick Rose could add 2 + 2 or whether he can get 2 questions right on the reading comprehension section or put 2 sentences together.

Also, I have ZERO problem with the NCAA putting in a minimum score requirement. I actually think its great that they try to make college for athletes about more than sports and try to have schools put academics into the equation. These are schools. My point is that Memphis doesnt care how smart Derrick Rose is because Derrick Rose makes Memphis money, and Derrick Rose doesn't care about how well he does on the SAT and frankly, he shouldn't. Hes a great basketball player and at least from the looks of it, hes a great young man, and him being forced into finding some way to pass a test he shouldn't have to take due to a ridiculous rule made up by the NBA (which I'm actually surprised hasn't been attacked as an anti-trust violation yet since the reasons that it makes sense in the NFL don't exist here) in my opinion doesnt make him a bad person. that's all im saying

and everyone else who wants to go to college isnt forced into going to college, unless its by their parents, and at least theoretically the college wants them on their merits which include at least in part some intellectual ability which is tested on the SAT. This does not apply to Derrick Rose. I'll repeat again, you said yourself, if Derrick Rose went to Italy he probably woudln't have been the first pick, as in giving up significant up front money in a structured contract system, potentially millions more in endorsements, and would have been 18 years old, by himself, in a foreign country, where he does not speak the language, for an entire year. You can say he had options, and I'll say youre right, he had that option. But ALL I'm saying is, is he really a bad person for not wanting to take that option and instead cheating on a test (that we both know Memphis handed to him on a platter) and taking a spot on a BASKETBALL team that he absolutely deserved considering the only thing that team cared about was how good of a player he was an not how well he could score on some exam?

graphic-er
05-08-2011, 02:45 PM
SO basically in the end. The rules only matter for certain people, and people who are so awesomely wonderful at what they do should be exempted from the same rules everyone else abides by. Yeah, this pretty much sums up the the current culture in America.

NO I don't think Rose is a bad person because he cheated on a test. But it shows a lack of character, a lack of integrity.

I don't know if he deserved a spot on that basketball team or not. Part of the requirements of being an NCAA athlete, even for a year. Is to actually meet the requirements of being a college student. They are student athletes, not amateur athletes. You can say all you want that the requirement shouldn't matter, but the requirement is there. You take an SAT and score well enough to be admitted to the college you want to go to. So if he couldn't do that, then perhaps he hasn't earned his spot on that that team.

Just because other options are not the best options for him personally or financially does not mean that he should cheat his way to the best option. Apparently the best option should have never been an option in the first place because he did not take the test that is part of the requirements.

It does not matter to me what Memphis wanted or what Rose wanted. There are standards that every student athlete completing in college athletics are supposed to meet. In order for competition to be just and fair, then everyone involved should have met the same minimum requirements. Its that simple. To side step the requirements makes a mockery of all those who took it seriously.

If Rose did not want to full fill those minimum requirements then he should have played overseas or in the ABA or CBA.

ilive4sports
05-08-2011, 02:57 PM
SO basically in the end. The rules only matter for certain people, and people who are so awesomely wonderful at what they do should be exempted from the same rules everyone else abides by. Yeah, this pretty much sums up the the current culture in America.

Glad you finally realized how things work in the real world.

Isaac
05-08-2011, 04:54 PM
EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO GET INTO COLLEGE FOR WHAT EVER REASON HAS TO TAKE AN SAT. Rose did not take an SAT. .

Incorrect. I went to college and never took an SAT (GED).

Little Derrick Rose story: When we were growing up my team with Evan Turner was playing Derrick's squad. I blocked Rose's layup and the ball hit him in the eye pretty hard. He acted like I had just fouled the hell out of him and called me quite a few unpleasant names. The next play he crossed me over so bad I fell over and unfortunately for me and the team, that anger lead to him taking over the game and we got blown out.

TinManJoshua
05-10-2011, 11:18 AM
I've never had a problem with Derrick.

Noah and Boozer are the reasons I can't stand Chicago.