PDA

View Full Version : What Tony Allen-like leader can we pick up?

McKeyFan
05-03-2011, 06:58 PM
We need a leader. Everybody, including Bird who said it publicly, realizes it.

The team's leader doesn't have to be the best player. Take Tony Allen in Memphis. He was a Celtic sub. Now he is in Memphis and is a key reason the culture has changed there to a mega-strong defensive team.

We need a guy like this. Dahntay was close, but he isn't quite good enough. He's turned out to be a 10th/11th man, while Tony Allen is a 5th/6th man.

Who is out there, like a Tony Allen, who doesn't cost a fortune but could bring us a fortune's worth of leadership?

KingGeorge
05-03-2011, 07:08 PM
I have always felt Shane Battier was that way too. He is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

I'm not sure what his status is with the Grizzlies, or how much money he will want, but I could see him helping this team out.

pacer4ever
05-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Dantay Jones :D

Tony Allen and leader dont go hand and hand he is a defensive role player who plays with energy he isnt a leader.

NapTonius Monk
05-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Caron Butler?

sportfireman
05-03-2011, 07:27 PM
I too feel D. Jones can be that type of guy for us. He also is better than a 10/11 th man.... imo. He should on this team be the first SG off the bench.

ballism
05-03-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm not sure I'd call Tony Allen their leader. He has a strong, thuggish personality, but that doesn't mean leadership. If you mean the emotional KG-type leader, that probably starts with Gasol in Memphis.
They also have Battier, who's just a great veteran locker room glue guy.
And it all started with Conley getting really confident and aggressive on D this year. He set the tone before Tony Allen even got consistent minutes.

So, I'm not sure what kind of leadership Tony Allen does, other than beating the crap out of Mayo when he talks too much on the plane? Leadership by example maybe? Anyone with high motor can do that, including Hansbrough.

OakMoses
05-03-2011, 08:04 PM
It's kind of funny that Allen was considered a big character risk guy in Boston.

ballism
05-03-2011, 08:08 PM
It's kind of funny that Allen was considered a big character risk guy in Boston.

It's not like he's not though. If you tend to beat up your teammates, you are a risk. :) Pacers would have him banned by December.

Young
05-03-2011, 08:17 PM
While the Pacers might need a leader what they really need is toughness. That is the first thing I think of when I think of Tony Allen...toughness.

vnzla81
05-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Michael Red

ballism
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
While the Pacers might need a leader what they really need is toughness. That is the first thing I think of when I think of Tony Allen...toughness.

I think Ron Artest might be available for an expiring...

OakMoses
05-03-2011, 08:41 PM

I think what the Pacers need is top-shelf talent. A team where Danny Granger is clearly the best player is never going to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

pathil275
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Funny thing is that Allen was offered to the Pacers for Daniels back then.

Justin Tyme
05-03-2011, 09:30 PM
It's not like he's not though. If you tend to beat up your teammates, you are a risk. :) Pacers would have him banned by December.

Your "teammates" is pural, so what other teammate besides Mayo has Allen beat up? I'm unaware of any other fight he has ever had with a teammate. Since you said "teammates", you must know of another incident or 2.

I have no knowledge if Tony Allen is a leader or not, but my understanding Mayo couldn't keep his mouth shut. He pushed the wrong player, hence the fight. Interesting that Mayo was the only one to get a team punishment. Memphis even tried to trade Mayo b4 the deadline NOT Allen.

I wonder how long b4 Mayo has stirred up controversy among the Pacers players if he's traded for by Bird?

Trader Joe
05-03-2011, 09:44 PM
This thread title is hilarious.

pacer4ever
05-03-2011, 09:46 PM
King24George Paul George
I played 1-on-1 with the future me, I lost by one hundred!

Here is the future leader I love this tweet pretty funny

Trophy
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
James Posey... :rolleyes:

He was looked at as a fan favorite in Memphis back when he was young and full of energy and before he become dirty and would body slam guys to the floor.

ballism
05-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Your "teammates" is pural, so what other teammate besides Mayo has Allen beat up? I'm unaware of any other fight he has ever had with a teammate. Since you said "teammates", you must know of another incident or 2.

A figure of speech. And a :) at the end. Take it easy ;)

sportfireman
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
I think what the Pacers need is top-shelf talent. A team where Danny Granger is clearly the best player is never going to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

I dont think we have to have top shelf talent.... but we do need more talent. Look at Memphis, they dont have top shelf talent. And their most talented player... Gay isnt even there. And Gay and Granger are close in talent. imo..... what we lack is expierence

pacer4ever
05-03-2011, 10:05 PM
I dont think we have to have top shelf talent.... but we do need more talent. Look at Memphis, they dont have top shelf talent. And their most talented player... Gay isnt even there. And Gay and Granger are close in talent. imo..... what we lack is expierence

Zach Randolph is playing at a MVP level right now. He is a better player than Gay also. Gay is their 2nd best player and Gay is equall to Danny Granger in my opinion.

BringJackBack
05-03-2011, 10:08 PM
I think that next year Paul will probably have a similar role to Tony Allen's in Memphis right now, except with more playmaking and offense.

Then after next year it's history.

cdash
05-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Dahntay Jones fills that role for us. Tony Allen is a better version of Jones, but he is not a leader.

If you want a tough perimeter defender who can also be a leader, Shane Battier is your guy. He would fit in beautifully with the culture we are trying to cultivate here and be huge off the bench for us. I'd love to add him for the right price.

mikeyism
05-03-2011, 10:53 PM
If you mean "leadership" as in a proven veteran in the locker room, a guy we could realistically get is Grant Hill.

Kemo
05-03-2011, 11:51 PM
If you mean "leadership" as in a proven veteran in the locker room, a guy we could realistically get is Grant Hill.

Good player.. but to be honest, having to watch him and the ever-constant bugging of his eyes would drive me batchit crazy..

Taterhead
05-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Dantay Jones :D

Tony Allen and leader dont go hand and hand he is a defensive role player who plays with energy he isnt a leader.

Maybe not in a conventional sense. But there are many ways to lead. Leading by example is the most important. I don't think anybody views Allen as a Kobe Bryant type presence, or even a descent human being. But during the games when it matters, he is actually a natural born leader. The dude absolutely plays his butt off. And his team mates definitely feed off his energy.

You need more than 1 leader on a basketball team. Jeff Foster is a prime example. He is probably the 15th most talented guy on the team, but ask the young guys on the Pacers who the leaders are and I guarantee you his name comes up every single time. Jeff isn't overly vocal or in your face. He just comes to play. That is why they call him a leader.

imawhat
05-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Here is the future leader I love this tweet pretty funny

He played one on one to 100? I usually stop at 24 (win by 4).

mattie
05-04-2011, 04:15 AM
He played one on one to 100? I usually stop at 24 (win by 4).

he was playing by 1s and 2s btw, and he thats the crazy part, he was playing to 12, and still lost by a 100!