PDA

View Full Version : NBA Playoffs are 'Wired' by Bill Simmons with bonus Paul George mention

mattie
05-03-2011, 05:13 PM
I've looked for a link anyone else has posted but I don't see one, so delete if htis is a repeat.

One of the best random Wire exchanges goes to the best random performers of the 2011 playoffs: Paul George (superb defense on Derrick Rose), Thaddeus Young (one of the best energy guys out there), Greivis Vasquez (believe me, I'm as shocked as you), Tyler Hansbrough (who made it clear that he WILL have his day in the sun as a valuable role player on a playoff contender someday),

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part1/110503&sportCat=nba

Part 2:

To the great Chris Paul, who left his knee brace behind, shifted from third to fifth gear and played two of the best games in the history of the point guard position (Game 1 and Game 4) against a superior Lakers team. I tweeted this before, I'll say it again: We should be burning DVDs of those games and making them mandatory viewing for every aspiring point guard at every basketball camp. This is how you play the position: create good shots for other guys, keep them involved, keep them playing hard, keep motivating them, take care of the ball, make the right decision on every fast break, and when things break down, you need to take over and score yourself. He's the evolutionary Isiah Thomas, the best pure point guard who ever played, and if you had to pick ONE special subplot of Round 1, it has to be this: Because of his knee issues, we didn't know if Paul could get to this level anymore. Wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/part2/110503&sportCat=nba

sportfireman
05-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks.... and Tyler was mentioned as well.

CooperManning
05-03-2011, 07:49 PM
The Wire and the NBA...I hate how much Simmons completes me.

DocHolliday
05-03-2011, 08:32 PM
He also threw in an extended pro wrestling analogy by saying he wished it were possible to make a tag team out of the Pacers & Sixers, due to their scrappy play.

Sollozzo
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Simmons had a good tweet about PG when he attended Pacers--Clippers at Staples in January. Something along the lines of "that dude has NBA glide"

Naptown_Seth
05-04-2011, 01:18 AM
Best thing about Bill is that he watches hella games. This is why he and Reusillo are the two most informed bball writers out there IMO.

These are the two guys least likely to be surprised by what George or Price showed in the playoffs. I always hate when the "experts" are blown away by what anyone that watched 10 games of the team would have known was pretty standard. Happens every year.

Average fan, sure. But paid-to-be-NBA-expert dude? Pathetic.

BTW, this was also why Doug Collins was great and IMO one reason why he had success this year. He knows the league inside and out.

mattie
05-04-2011, 03:45 AM
Best thing about Bill is that he watches hella games. This is why he and Reusillo are the two most informed bball writers out there IMO.

These are the two guys least likely to be surprised by what George or Price showed in the playoffs. I always hate when the "experts" are blown away by what anyone that watched 10 games of the team would have known was pretty standard. Happens every year.

BTW, this was also why Doug Collins was great and IMO one reason why he had success this year. He knows the league inside and out.

Most will disagree with me, but its why I love Chris Webber. The dude watches every game. He knows every team... he's a good analyst.

ilive4sports
05-04-2011, 03:50 AM
Most will disagree with me, but its why I love Chris Webber. The dude watches every game. He knows every team... he's a good analyst.

I actually was going to say the same thing.

Simmons is great. Sometimes I strongly disagree with him and he definitely has the green bias. But thats because it is what makes him popular and gets people talking. Simmons can put that all away when he needs to and he does.

AesopRockOn
05-04-2011, 04:26 AM
I can't wait to see what happens with his new site. It feels more like it should be consumed in magazine-tablet form rather than straight up as a site. Maybe I need to research it more.

Unclebuck
05-04-2011, 08:45 AM

That is one thing that makes me mad also. You can tell that Barkley doesn't watch that many games - I doubt he watched too many more than what is on TNT - although he probably watches some Suns games. But he isn't sitting home every night hooked on NBA LP

It is obvious that bill watches a ton of NBA games.

And that is one of my biggest complaints about Bob Kravitz and with him I'm not suggesting that he have any general knowledge about the NBA, but I get the feeling he watched about 10 Pacers games a year.

MTM
05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
The Wire and the NBA...I hate how much Simmons completes me.

If you haven't read his Book of Basketball yet, go out and get it. 700 pages and I can't put it down.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704322004574475602013608632.html

Warning - he is not a huge fan of Reggie Miller's place in history... so prepare to get angry if you are a big Reggie Miller fan.

DocHolliday
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
If you haven't read his Book of Basketball yet, go out and get it. 700 pages and I can't put it down.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704322004574475602013608632.html

Warning - he is not a huge fan of Reggie Miller's place in history... so prepare to get angry if you are a big Reggie Miller fan.

Exactly--he takes every chance in his column to push his opinion that a comparison between Ray Allen and Reggie Miller is no contest. Allen blows him away in every aspect.

Sure, it's easy to say Allen's had a better career now that he's gone ring chasing and got a title or two to enhance his personal stats. It wouldn't be so clear cut had he stayed in Milwaukee his whole career.

travmil
05-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Exactly--he takes every chance in his column to push his opinion that a comparison between Ray Allen and Reggie Miller is no contest. Allen blows him away in every aspect.

Sure, it's easy to say Allen's had a better career now that he's gone ring chasing and got a title or two to enhance his personal stats. It wouldn't be so clear cut had he stayed in Milwaukee his whole career.

Actually on sheer numbers alone it would at least be a wash. The only thing that would have separated them would have been playoff heroics but Allen has that now too. I was one who thought for sure that Allen would break down before he got to Reggie's record, but he didn't and now he has it. Doesn't make me any less proud of what Reggie accomplished while he was here.

QuickRelease
05-04-2011, 11:11 AM
That is one thing that makes me mad also. You can tell that Barkley doesn't watch that many games - I doubt he watched too many more than what is on TNT - although he probably watches some Suns games. But he isn't sitting home every night hooked on NBA LP

It is obvious that bill watches a ton of NBA games.

And that is one of my biggest complaints about Bob Kravitz and with him I'm not suggesting that he have any general knowledge about the NBA, but I get the feeling he watched about 10 Pacers games a year.Kravitz isn't usually at home games? I only get to attend a handful due to my schedule, but he seems to always be there when I go.

QuickRelease
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Sure, it's easy to say Allen's had a better career now that he's gone ring chasing and got a title or two to enhance his personal stats.This is not accurate. Ray Allen was traded to Boston. He hasn't gone bouncing around teams trying to latch onto a contender. And the guy is clutch as hell. Love Ray Allen.

MyFavMartin
05-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm glad to see no reference to Foster, as I'd expect to see his firstname as Greg... Maybe that's why he's so fiesty? Eleven damn years in the league and they still can't get his name right.

Hicks
05-04-2011, 01:35 PM

Why do you think that most will disagree?

Unclebuck
05-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Kravitz isn't usually at home games? I only get to attend a handful due to my schedule, but he seems to always be there when I go.

Rarely, and never at any road games except for playoffs. I would guess he doesn't go to more than 12 games a season not counting the playoffs.

He goes to every Colts game, then he does IU, Purdue, Butler, Fever..... and some other sports.

I would say he goes to about 12 Pacers games per year.

cdash
05-04-2011, 02:12 PM

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Chris Webber is the best analyst out there in my opinion. I loved hearing his insights when he was commentating that one Pacers-Bulls game. I wish we could hear more out of him on TNT but Chuck and Kenny are too busy playing grab *** with each other to let anyone else speak.

King Tuts Tomb
05-04-2011, 05:58 PM
CWebb became my favorite studio guy after this:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C5AodJFb29o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

shags
05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
This is not accurate. Ray Allen was traded to Boston. He hasn't gone bouncing around teams trying to latch onto a contender. And the guy is clutch as hell. Love Ray Allen.

Thank you. Gary Payton went ring-chasing. Mitch Richmond went ring-chasing. (And for the record, Payton had a better career, and at their absolute peaks Richmond was better than Reggie).

But to say Ray Allen went ring-chasing is ridiculous and ill-informed. As you stated, he was traded to Boston before Garnett. And they don't have that type of success without Ray Allen. He was fantastic in the 08 NBA Finals, turned back the clock in the 09 first round classic against the Bulls, and was an all-star this year.

Sorry Pacer fans, but Simmons is right. Ray Allen has had a better career than Reggie Miller. Although the Celtics still win that title, IMO, with a 32 year old Reggie Miller replacing Allen at shooting guard.

mattie
05-06-2011, 06:47 AM

When he was scheduled to announce one of the Pacers playoff games half the board complained. It was a shock to me then, and from that point I've had the idea that many people do not appreciate him.