PDA

View Full Version : Eight teams left. Who don't you want to win the NBA championship?

Will Galen
05-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I was going to run a pole to see who most posters want to win the NBA championship, but it occurred to me that some posters won't care at this point.

So I changed it to who don't you want to win the NBA championship? Being you can vote more than once it will also tell us who most posters want to win.

With me it's okay if Memphis, Oklahoma, Dallas, and Chicago win, but I'm really wishy washy on Chicago.

REMEMBER, IT'S WHO YOU DON'T WANT TO WIN!

spreedom
05-03-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't want Miami because of the Douche Triumverate, and I'd rather not Chicago because A.) they knocked us out and B.) I'm growing to strongly dislike Derrick Rose.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't look at it that way. Honestly, my dream is every series goes 7 games, every game goes down to the last minute, several OT games, great intense play, great defense, great offense. if all that happens I won't care who wins.

naptownmenace
05-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I don't look at it that way. Honestly, my dream is every series goes 7 games, every game goes down to the last minute, several OT games, great intense play, great defense, great offense. if all that happens I won't care who wins.

I agree. However, If I have a choice, I don't want the Lakers, Celtics, or Bulls to win the championship. Their franchises have had enough success to last a lifetime. I'd rather see Miami win it all than one of those 3 team. I'm really pulling for a team like Atlanta or Dallas to win it all.

ballism
05-03-2011, 10:16 AM
I want Dallas or Boston.
I don't mind Memphis or Miami.
I don't like LA, Chicago and Atlanta.
I'm mixed on Thunder - I admire Durant, Perkins, Harden, Scott Brooks and their crowds. But I'm starting to dislike Westbrook's personality - a lot like I disliked young Kobe many years ago. Their attitude has so much in common, both in good and bad ways.

DrFife
05-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I won't be cheering for the Lakers, nor for Chicago ... but I voted for (against) Miami. No team should be able to "buy" a championship.

Sparhawk
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
I know who I want to win. OKC.

Who I don't want to win. Anyone that already has a championship this decade.

xtacy
05-03-2011, 10:23 AM
miami(it's obvious), lakers(i can't stand to see artest win again), boston(i hate garnett and their overall cocky attitude) in that order.

i want dallas to win. it's not gonna happen though.

ballism
05-03-2011, 10:24 AM
I won't be cheering for the Lakers, nor for Chicago ... but I voted for (against) Miami. No team should be able to "buy" a championship. Period.

Those guys took a paycut? I realize why people dislike them, but in what universe was it a money thing? :p

Hicks
05-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Reading fail. I voted as if it was about who I wanted to win.

I now would have voted Miami, Chicago, and LA.

Basketball Fan
Bulls
Heat
Celtics
Thunder(the media darling thing is a bit overkill at this point)

pacergod2
What they took in a "paycut" is offset by paying no state income taxes in Florida. The one person who took a real paycut was Dwayne Wade. He makes less than both Bosh and James and he is the best of the three, IMO.

ballism
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
What they took in a "paycut" is offset by paying no state income taxes in Florida. The one person who took a real paycut was Dwayne Wade. He makes less than both Bosh and James and he is the best of the three, IMO.

Let me understand. Are you saying James/Bosh/Wade signed there for the money? Because that was the argument. Look, by far the best salary option for those guys was to resign with their own teams. Or James / Wade could've just said to Miami / Orlando "I want you to give me a max deal with no taxes, make it work".

I just can't see how someone could claim that Miami is buying titles here. You could much easier make that argument with LA or Dallas. LeBron & co signed there to win and maybe to hang around with friends. Not because Miami was the highest bidder. :confused:

15th parallel
05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Weird that nobody voted for Dallas...but anyway, this is the best playoffs since the Jordan era, with all teams competitive and the series unpredictable. So I voted for don't care. While I won't cheer for any team, the one who'll win it all is really deserving given the very tough competition.

imawhat
05-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Troy Murphy, so I voted Boston.

itzryan07
05-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Chicago, Miami, and LA

Kid Minneapolis
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
I've taken an interest in the Grizzlies. I love cinderellas. They play well. I was hoping the Pacers would do what the Grizzlies are doing in this post-season. Plus, ZBo is representing Naptown and tearing it up. I like Conley, too. And baby Gasol.

I'm also interested in the Hawks. They've kept their mouths shut and played some damn good ball in the post-season...

I'm so tired of the Lakers.

The Bulls fans really acted so horribly in our series with them that I don't want them to win a championship, and it doesn't hurt my feelings at all that they're already down 0-1 to the Hawks. I don't think arrogant, jerky fans should be rewarded. They probly will down the road... but whatever. It's one thing to have a good team and be supportive of them, but to act the way they did was just idiotic.

I have no personal beef with the Celtics, they have one of my favorite players in Rondo, and who doesn't like Ray Allen. KG is sort of a putz, but whatever. They've won a lot of championships, so a part of me says "they don't need anymore", but they're a pretty good team. A small part of me wants to see JO do well, too...

The Thunder just don't do it for me, as much as everyone else loves them. I respect Durant, but they way that team is built... makes it tough for me to think they're built for playoff success. I wish they were still in Seattle. The whole situation doesn't feel right to me.

I have no vested interest in the Mavs other than I wouldn't mind seeing Carlisle and Nowitzki get a ring, they deserve it. I don't think it's gonna happen, though.

That leaves the Heat... all drama aside, they really kept the drama surprisingly low this season. I said at the beginning of the year, when they were struggling, that I still thought they'd be a top team come playoff-time, and that has proven true. I have a feeling the Heat are gonna get a ring this year. They put it together down the stretch and the star-power is overwhelming.

DaveP63
05-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Big no vote for the LeBraun's...

Pacers#1Fan
05-03-2011, 11:03 AM
As long as it's not Miami I'm happy, though it would be awesome to see OKC win it all.

Basketball Fan
05-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Weird that nobody voted for Dallas...but anyway, this is the best playoffs since the Jordan era, with all teams competitive and the series unpredictable. So I voted for don't care. While I won't cheer for any team, the one who'll win it all is really deserving given the very tough competition.

Dirk has always been one of my favorite players and it always annoyed me that he's labeled a choker (especially since I though the Mavs were screwed in the 2006 Finals) however I also can't see them winning it all either. I like Butler too.

DemonHunter1105
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Miami really doesn't bother me that much. At least I can admit they have enough talent in 3 guys alone (yes, Bosh isn't that bad...he is just weak). If they win multiple titles in the next 5 years I may start singing a different tune.

I still can't stand Boston so much. It is similar to the Spurs where I don't get how they do so good every year with so many really old players or ones that shouldn't be good (Big Baby). At least they should fizzle away pretty soon unless another big trade happens or they get lucky in the draft.

Similar level of dislike for LA, but at least I feel like they are talented enough to win a ring.

Chicago because I feel like they aren't the best team and shouldn't win it.

I wouldn't be thrilled if any of the other teams won but I wouldn't be mad.

dal9
05-03-2011, 11:13 AM
here's an argument against Dallas: Peja (my least favorite "Pacer" ever) is on their team.

That said, I would be happy if Carlisle and Cardinal got a ring

Brad8888
05-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Ultimately, the team that has been built from the ground up primarily through developing youth and going through the growth period where the potential could be seen despite not much winning early has turned into my favorite, like many here.

OKC is the next elite team, and I hope they get the job done and win the championship this year.

That would feel like a victory for what is possible through hard work, perseverence, and pride for what mostly seems like a team of decent, and very talented, human beings.

If I had to pick only one team to NOT win, it would be Bron-bron and the Menopause.

Basketball Fan
05-03-2011, 11:31 AM
here's an argument against Dallas: Peja (my least favorite "Pacer" ever) is on their team.

I forgot he was on the Mavs...

ballism
05-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Following that thought, did you root against Pacers when he was on the team? :p

Will Galen
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Reading fail. I voted as if it was about who I wanted to win.

I now would have voted Miami, Chicago, and LA.

Bad day? It's your site and it says 'change your vote' at the bottom of the poll.

dal9
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Following that thought, did you root against Pacers when he was on the team? :p

well, i had no problem with Peja before he was on the Pacers...it's his sitting out of the playoff games b/c of some minor injury that made me dislike him...also i was an artest fan, so that probably influenced my view of him too...

Gold
05-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Bulls are probably the only team that I absolutely don't want to see win. I don't feel completely one way about the rest of the teams.

OakMoses
05-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Oops. I read the poll wrong. Now I feel like a big dummy head.

GoUEAces
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I want Dallas to win for sure. I always have liked Dirk, Kidd, and Peja.
I voted for the Lakers as the team I don't want to win. I've hated them ever since the 2000 Finals.

Eddie Gill
05-03-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't know how anyone isn't repulsed by the Lakers.

KingGeorge
05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I dislike many of the remaining teams, but I don't care who wins the championship as long as it's not the Lakers.

ECKrueger
05-03-2011, 02:33 PM
NO lakers, NO bulls, NO celtics. Like thers have said, they've had theirs.

I would love to see OKC or Dallas from the west and Miami and Atl from the east.

I want OKC or Dallas to win it all, but I wouldn't be disappointed if Miami did either. I think the amount of unwarranted hate they get makes me root for them.

pacers74
05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
I hope Miami and Atlanta play in the eastern conf. finals and OKC and Dallas play in the western conf. finals.
If OKC makes it out of the west, then I will root for them, otherwise I will root for who ever makes it out of the east.

Trophy
05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm rooting for the Grizzlies, but realistically, the Thunder will probably win the series. Both are likable teams so I'm happy for whoever wins.

DrFife
05-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I just can't see how someone could claim that Miami is buying titles here. You could much easier make that argument with LA or Dallas. LeBron & co signed there to win and maybe to hang around with friends. Not because Miami was the highest bidder. :confused:

I don't like the fact that LA & Dallas have such bloated salaries, but I suppose the $1-for-$1 tax tries to address that issue.

However, my argument about Miami is more holistic: I fundamentally recoil at their overall strategy to wipe the slate clean, salary-wise, and then go out and buy an entire team of free agents all at once. Teams like Miami and New York can do that because of location (marketing opportunities, climate, nightlife, etc.). Indiana and most other teams do not have that option ... and I would gag (out of we-drafted-him loyalty principles) even if we could.

Hoop
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Not a chance of happening, but I want Memphis and Atlanta in the finals.

Basketball Fan
05-03-2011, 10:07 PM
I don't know how anyone isn't repulsed by the Lakers.

I never had an issue with the Lakers(well except in 2000 of course) they have always been an interesting team to watch through the years and well namely despite my disdain for Phil(who doesn't bother me now as much as he did on the Bulls) and Artest(you really shouldn't have to ask why) I still have no issue with rooting for the Lakers.

Kobe is also one of my favorite players and I'm all for him getting more rings than Jordan if possible.

Spirit
05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
Celtics
Heat
Bulls
Lakers

In that order.

idioteque
05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
No Boston or Jokelahoma City. Other than that I'm good.

Constellations
05-03-2011, 11:31 PM
No Boston or Jokelahoma City. Other than that I'm good.

Jokelahoma City? Really?

ilive4sports
05-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I find all the Miami hate hilarious. Honestly they are the team I am rooting for now. OKC is a close second though.

Constellations
05-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I find all the Miami hate hilarious. Honestly they are the team I am rooting for now. OKC is a close second though.

Yes, the Miami hate is quite annoying.

ECKrueger
05-03-2011, 11:52 PM

I agree mostly, but I still like OKC better.

Constellations
05-04-2011, 12:29 AM
I agree mostly, but I still like OKC better.

Agreed.

Kemo
05-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I don't want Miami because of the Douche Triumverate, and I'd rather not Chicago because A.) they knocked us out and B.) I'm growing to strongly dislike Derrick Rose.

I like D. Rose as a person and as a player , but I absolutely DETEST him as competition.. He is absolutely tough, can put a team on his back if need be, and has a killer instinct in crunchtime.. I guess in that aspect, I hate/like him exactly like I did Michael Jordan.. (NOTE: I'm not comparing him to MJ basketball-wise)

The only good thing that would come out of ChI winning it all, is knowing that they were the ones that knocked us out, but that we absolutely took it to them and made them EARN IT.. Other than that I can understand the feeling of not wanting them to win.. Me, I am indifferent to it either way..

I don't want Miami , Lakers nor Boston to win it all.. If Boston won , I'd just be glad it wasnt Lakers or Miami .. lol .. the lesser of the 3 evils ..if you will.. lmao

There are however a few teams that are still in the playoffs, whom I'd like to see win the championship..

Dallas .. I'd like to see Dirk FINALLY get a ring, I think he deserves it..

OKC .. I like Durant , and this team has been fun to watch over last few years. IT would be nice to see this young team do well..

Memphis .. The underdogs , this team has been dangerous in the playoffs thus far.. plus this is the 1st time that Memphis has made it out of the 1st round ...... EVER! ..Gotta love Z-Bo averaging like 26 and 12, or close to.. while playing like a superstar..

DemonHunter1105
05-04-2011, 07:07 AM

I want to see them get to the Finals because it will be very entertaining to see them play whoever comes out of the West.

If it becomes LA-MIA, I can just see the story lines already:
"Kobe takes down the King of South Beach and his royal friends to cement his place in history"
or
"The King stomps down the Black Mamba on way to first ring"

If it became OKC-MIA, then the story lines would definitely be about how the two teams are both great but built completely differently.

DrFife
05-04-2011, 08:22 AM
There are however a few teams that are still in the playoffs, whom I'd like to see win the championship..

Honest question: Does Dirk have another gear? It seems as though Dirk is ol'-Mr.-Reliable in terms of consistent plug-away excellence. He's proven durable and remarkably consistent. But does he have another gear? In the white-hot intensity of crunch time in the playoffs, does Dirk have the ability to "go nuclear"?

BigRik
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM
I don't want Miami , Lakers nor Boston to win it all.. If Boston won , I'd just be glad it wasnt Lakers or Miami .. lol .. the lesser of the 3 evils ..if you will.. lmao

OKC .. I like Durant , and this team has been fun to watch over last few years. IT would be nice to see this young team do well..

Memphis .. The underdogs , this team has been dangerous in the playoffs thus far.. plus this is the 1st time that Memphis has made it out of the 1st round ...... EVER! ..Gotta love Z-Bo averaging like 26 and 12, or close to.. while playing like a superstar..

This sums up my opinion. I would just add that I also would like to see Dallas win for Mark Cuban. Love him or hate him, he is an interesting owner and I think the league is better for having him.

spreedom
05-05-2011, 04:05 PM
Honest question: Does Dirk have another gear? It seems as though Dirk is ol'-Mr.-Reliable in terms of consistent plug-away excellence. He's proven durable and remarkably consistent. But does he have another gear? In the white-hot intensity of crunch time in the playoffs, does Dirk have the ability to "go nuclear"?

Dirk's been the best player so far during the playoffs. He's been absolutely killing teams in the 4th quarter. Isn't that another gear?

Trophy
05-05-2011, 04:10 PM
At this point, I'm kind of sold on a Thunder/Heat finals.

ballism
05-05-2011, 04:12 PM
At this point, I'm kind of sold on a Thunder/Heat finals.

Same here. Dallas / Heat would look like the 2nd most likely scenario.
But man would I love Dallas / Celts instead.

pacer4ever
05-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I am actually now rooting for the Heat to win. Think about it if the Heat win the title after the first year of joining up in Miami. The owners would be more pissed and get a better deal for small market teams and try everything they can do to avoid stars teamming up. This would really help us.

shags
05-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I voted for Miami.

But if I had to pick one team that's most likely to win right now, it'd be the Heat. They play great defense and have the best two players.

DrFife
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM
I am actually now rooting for the Heat to win. Think about it if the Heat win the title after the first year of joining up in Miami. The owners would be more pissed and get a better deal for small market teams and try everything they can do to avoid stars teamming up. This would really help us.

Ick. Now you're sounding like Senator Palpatine. :evil:

ballism
05-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Yay so Miami will have a title, 3 stars for the next decade, and noone else can team up! Good for us!

pacer4ever
05-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Yay so Miami will have a title, 3 stars for the next decade, and noone else can team up! Good for us!

They are gonna have 3 stars reguardless unless a hard cap is put in place which could happen if the heat win the first year after teamming up.

ballism
05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
They are gonna have 3 stars reguardless unless a hard cap is put in place which could happen if the heat win the first year after teamming up.

Yeah I'm not arguing that. Just thought it's hysterical that we can make a case of rooting for the Heat as Pacers fans. Where is the world going? :) That said, you could make a similar case with Dallas or LA - hey look, the super rich teams won again, give hard cap and revenue sharing.

cramerica
05-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Miami, Chi, LA and Boston.

I should probably put OKC on there too. The whole Seattle thing is dirty and while the players and OKC fans had nothing to do with it, just the way it all went down is very unsettling. I do like the team itself, but not the circumstances in how they got to OKC.

As far as my other picks:
Miami - Can't stand Lebron and want nothing but bad things to happen to him on the court (not get injured - just bad play)
Boston - See Lebron and that's how I feel about KG.
Chi - Game 4 at Conseco was an embarrassment for Indy, but also an embarrassment for the Chi fans. Plus I don't like Noah or Boozer (and yes, it would be different if they were on the Pacers)
LA - I have nothing against Kobe or any of the other players (except Artest), but I just like to get someone new in there.

pacer4ever
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah I'm not arguing that. Just thought it's hysterical that we can make a case of rooting for the Heat as Pacers fans. Where is the world going? :) That said, you could make a similar case with Dallas or LA - hey look, the super rich teams won again, give hard cap and revenue sharing.

I dont dis like the heat like some. But i do dislike the fake Heat fans they are really bad fans who dont know b ball. I mean at least Boston fans(from boston i mean) know basketball. The heat fans dont know **** about b ball they are posers.

lilojmayo
05-06-2011, 07:17 PM
grizz

ballism
05-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I dont dis like the heat like some. But i do dislike the fake Heat fans they are really bad fans who dont know b ball. I mean at least Boston fans(from boston i mean) know basketball. The heat fans dont know **** about b ball they are posers.

You will dislike them after they kill us in the playoffs for the next decade :)
and we might not even have a theoretical chance to add multiple free agents under the new CBA. After a while, we may get so sick we'll beg for multiple stars in Chicago, Boston or NY, just to beat the Heat.

pacer4ever
05-07-2011, 02:24 PM
and we might not even have a theoretical chance to add multiple free agents under the new CBA. After a while, we may get so sick we'll beg for multiple stars in Chicago, Boston or NY, just to beat the Heat.
I wont beg for anything except maybe a Cubs world series victory

That wont make me dislike them. Thats the leagues fault for allowing it to happen will just make me hate the NBA more.

DrFife
05-24-2011, 08:15 AM

Thank you, Dirk. You just answered my question (last night).

“A lot of people compare him to Larry Bird,” Mavs center Brendan Haywood said. “This is why.” - Yahoo Sports

Pacerized
05-24-2011, 09:38 AM

I think the hard cap is proposed to go into effect for the 12/13 season.
The Heat have over 71 mil tied up in just 6 players with 57 mil tied up in the big 3 for that season. Even if player salary rollbacks happen and the hard cap moves up from the proposed 45 mil, I don't see how the heat can keep the big 3 together. I'm hopeful for the lowest possible hard cap that will force Miami's hand to break up the big 3. Maybe we'll only have to live with them for 1 more year.

ballism
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
I think the hard cap is proposed to go into effect for the 12/13 season.
The Heat have over 71 mil tied up in just 6 players with 57 mil tied up in the big 3 for that season. Even if player salary rollbacks happen and the hard cap moves up from the proposed 45 mil, I don't see how the heat can keep the big 3 together. I'm hopeful for the lowest possible hard cap that will force Miami's hand to break up the big 3. Maybe we'll only have to live with them for 1 more year.

That won't happen. Owners have to approve it, and that kind of system affects a lot of teams, not just Miami.
Miami doesn't even have the highest payed "big 3" for 12-13 season. Lakers do. In fact, Memphis 'big 3' will probably be payed more than Miami guys - once they resign Marc Gasol. Or Orlando - if they extend Dwight. Or New York - that's what they'll push for, at least.

The system you are hoping for would kill a lot of teams. And give a crazy boost to a lot of others. Owners would eat Stern alive before they agree on this.

There are plenty of ways to install lower cap without murdering the NBA, and surely owners and players will agree on one of them.

Pacerized
05-24-2011, 09:39 PM
That won't happen. Owners have to approve it, and that kind of system affects a lot of teams, not just Miami.
Miami doesn't even have the highest payed "big 3" for 12-13 season. Lakers do. In fact, Memphis 'big 3' will probably be payed more than Miami guys - once they resign Marc Gasol. Or Orlando - if they extend Dwight. Or New York - that's what they'll push for, at least.
The system you are hoping for would kill a lot of teams. And give a crazy boost to a lot of others. Owners would eat Stern alive before they agree on this.
There are plenty of ways to install lower cap without murdering the NBA, and surely owners and players will agree on one of them.
Chicago 41.7 mil on 3 players
Dallas 41.1 mil on 3 players
Lakers 61.5 mil on 4 players
Memphis 45.8 mil on 3 players
Miami 71 mil on 6 players
NY 43 mil on 2 players
Orlando 41 mil on 4
As you can see only 3 teams would be over the current hard cap as proposed but the remainder would not be under it enough to field a complete team. If any of them choose to use the amnesty clause on one of their players that would put most of these teams in a position to still field a team. Player salary rollbacks would help even more. The real problem would only lie with Miami and L.A. Of course Miami can choose to loose one of the big 3 and they might still make it. I think it's very possible that it plays out that way since the other 28 teams won't have an issue with seeing Miami and L.A. have to deal with loosing players for once.
If a true hard cap is in place then sooner or later teams will make mistakes and not be able to keep one of their own players because they won't be able to sign him to market value and still be under the cap. I think the first team to experience this will most likely be Memphis with Gasol. They simply won't be allowed to offer him a contract that puts them over the cap.