PDA

View Full Version : Official: Kings staying in Sacramento for 2011-12 season

Shade
05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6465353

Glad to hear this. The fans deserve it. Now, hopefully, they can hammer out a deal for a new arena and keep the team there long-term.

Constellations
05-03-2011, 01:10 AM
This is the best news I've heard since Osama was killed lol.

Much love to Sacramento, you guys deserve this team. And I just don't wanna see "Kingsgate".

Day-V
05-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Same thing happened to Seattle before they moved, I believe.

But then again, its been awhile since I've seen Sonicsgate.

ilive4sports
05-03-2011, 02:29 AM
Was Seattle ever serious about getting a new arena? I haven't watched Sonicsgate, but I remember that they really weren't keen on getting a new arena done. Sacramento is very motivated to get a new arena up. I would be surprised if there wasn't one set to be built by this time next year. They have already gotten businesses to pledge over $10 million in luxury boxes and tickets at a new arena and the city council finally has their *** in gear thanks to Kevin Johnson, who is a huge reason why the Kings will even be here next year. The man is doing a hell of a job and fighting for what Sacramento wants.

Day-V
05-03-2011, 02:40 AM
Was Seattle ever serious about getting a new arena?

If I recall, They tried to put together an ownership group consisting of dudes from Microsoft and other companies who planned on building a new arena, but something happened involving a court hearing or something to where those guys couldn't buy the team......or something? idk.

I'll have to watch it again. It's definitely a "fun" (for lack of a better term) movie to watch.

mattie
05-03-2011, 03:33 AM
SELL ALREADY.

KingGeorge
05-03-2011, 03:54 AM
If I recall, They tried to put together an ownership group consisting of dudes from Microsoft and other companies who planned on building a new arena, but something happened involving a court hearing or something to where those guys couldn't buy the team......or something? idk.

I'll have to watch it again. It's definitely a "fun" (for lack of a better term) movie to watch.

The Microsoft guys were willing to buy the team and split the cost for the $300 million arena, but Bennett kept telling them the team was not for sale.

It wasn't 100% sure they would get the public funds, but it was the best offer they had.

PacerGuy
05-03-2011, 09:40 AM
This is all about telivision contract $ - Scatown will still lose the Kings, just after next season, not this. I heard this being discussed on the ESPN affiliate twice over the last 2 weeks. Same host, but he said that Fox (or Time Warner, I forget which, but both are involved - 1 loses, 1 gets) loses one of the LA teams TV deals after n/y & this same network has "loaned" Sactown" +/- 30 mil t/y. By the Kings waiting till n/y, they move right in & take the place in the LA market for Fox/Time Warner.
That sad scene will only be repeated. :(

ilive4sports
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
This is all about telivision contract $ - Scatown will still lose the Kings, just after next season, not this. I heard this being discussed on the ESPN affiliate twice over the last 2 weeks. Same host, but he said that Fox (or Time Warner, I forget which, but both are involved - 1 loses, 1 gets) loses one of the LA teams TV deals after n/y & this same network has "loaned" Sactown" +/- 30 mil t/y. By the Kings waiting till n/y, they move right in & take the place in the LA market for Fox/Time Warner.
That sad scene will only be repeated. :(

Its not about television contract money. Its about a new arena and it has been for years. The owner of the Anaheim Ducks was promising the Kings with a good tv deal which was one reason why Anaheim was attractive, but the new arena is what this is all about. The NBA won't allow the Kings to move if a new arena gets built.

Spirit
05-04-2011, 06:14 PM
With a move looming I don't think they will get much fan support, but I hope i'm wrong. I don't like it when teams move.