PDA

View Full Version : Morway on SportsJam

Kegboy
05-02-2011, 10:40 AM
It appears no one has mentioned this yet. I'm saddened to say that there also doesn't appear to be video of this posted anywhere. WTHR doesn't seem to upload them, and the guy who uploaded them to YouTube stopped after the Colts season was over.

Anyway, I was clicking around the Osama coverage last night, and I stumble upon David Morway on WTHR last night. I came in near the end of the first segment, so I missed a great deal of this. Two things I remember:

First, in Morway's view, Lance would have been a top ten pick if it weren't for the character concerns that scared everyone away. But they did their due dilligence, yada yada (we've heard it all before). He just needs to get more mature on and off the court, and all his issues have been just due to immaturity (I don't know if I'd categorize the girlfriend incident as simple immaturity, but of course those charges were eventually dropped.)

Second, and here's the important one, Morway wants to be President of Basketball Operations if Bird doesn't stay. That notion may not be surprising, but I was shocked how openly he was campaigning for the job. He was talking about it when I first turned it on, and brought it up again in the second segment. He's been here 12 years, he's learned from two of the best in Donnie and Larry, etc. I don't remember them getting into any specifics about what he'd do, but he was adamant that he's ready and feels he'd do a good job.

A couple things I took away from it. I wouldn't go as far as to definitively say he feels he deserves the job, but he really wants it. Second, at best he doesn't know if Larry's going to stay, at worst he knows Larry's not staying. No way he goes on local TV and makes that case if he feels Larry is sticking around. I would say he presented himself well enough, certainly much more personable than his rep implies. Just wish I'd known at the time there wouldn't be a video, would have written this up last night when the memory was fresh. :shrug:

QuickRelease
05-02-2011, 10:46 AM
First, in Morway's view, Lance would have been a top ten pick if it weren't for the character concerns that scared everyone away. But they did their due dilligence, yada yada (we've heard it all before). He just needs to get more mature on and off the court, and all his issues have been just due to immaturity (I don't know if I'd categorize the girlfriend incident as simple immaturity, but of course those charges were eventually dropped.)
I have to say, I'm so proud of Zach Randolph for turning it around. The switch really flipped on for him. I hold out the same hope for Lance. I remember when we drafted Al Harrington, and AD took him under his wing (and even into his house IIRC). I wish we had a veteran who could do the same for Lance. Maybe that's Clark Kellogg's job. I just really hope he gets it together. Sad thing is, he could just as easily fall into the Marbury/Sprewell/Rider category.

imbtyler
05-02-2011, 11:50 AM
I have to say, I'm so proud of Zach Randolph for turning it around. The switch really flipped on for him. I hold out the same hope for Lance. I remember when we drafted Al Harrington, and AD took him under his wing (and even into his house IIRC). I wish we had a veteran who could do the same for Lance. Maybe that's Clark Kellogg's job. I just really hope he gets it together. Sad thing is, he could just as easily fall into the Marbury/Sprewell/Rider category.

Not to start an OT Lance discussion (again), but I hope that Lance can get along with any veteran that would try to mentor him, instead of being a hassle. I hope Bird's sit-down with him will turn his attitude around.

As far as Morway goes, I have to agree that it's hard to decide whether I would appreciate him in Larry's role, since we don't know which FO decisions he was responsible for, vs. Bird.

aaronb
05-02-2011, 11:53 AM
As far as Morway goes, I have to agree that it's hard to decide whether I would appreciate him in Larry's role, since we don't know which FO decisions he was responsible for, vs. Bird.

As a general rule....All moves that pan out are credited to Bird. While any move that doesn't is either on Walsh, Morway, Simon or the CIB.

Hicks
05-02-2011, 01:26 PM
As a general rule....All moves that pan out are credited to Bird. While any move that doesn't is either on Walsh, Morway, Simon or the CIB.

:bs: You know better. It's been explained 1,000,001 times. June 2003 - April 2008 = Buck stops with Walsh. May 2008 - June 2011+ = Buck stops with Bird. Name me one person who makes it a point to crow on and on about how it's all about Morway or Simon? I don't think you can.

Geez. You can have your opinions about Bird, but at least get your facts straight about the people who disagree with you. If it's not insulting, it's certainly annoying.

aaronb
05-02-2011, 01:32 PM
:bs: You know better. It's been explained 1,000,001 times. June 2003 - April 2008 = Buck stops with Walsh. May 2008 - June 2011+ = Buck stops with Bird. Name me one person who makes it a point to crow on and on about how it's all about Morway or Simon? I don't think you can.

Geez. You can have your opinions about Bird, but at least get your facts straight about the people who disagree with you. If it's not insulting, it's certainly annoying.

I forgot to add my sarcasm font. Surely sarcasm is allowed?

Hicks
05-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I forgot to add my sarcasm font. Surely sarcasm is allowed?

Given all of your past commentary, I never even considered sarcasm.

MagicRat
05-02-2011, 02:28 PM
I've got it, unfortunately. Had the TiVo set up to record "Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty" and ended up with this......:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRQuzEXjOQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BPump33
05-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Another Stanko mention...

"The best center outside the NBA in the world playing over in Europe."

Wow, that's pretty high praise.

spazzxb
05-02-2011, 02:53 PM

Things that happened post Walsh get directed at bird (good and bad). Haters blame him for the negative crap that happened before he was in charge. It really isn't that complicated.

spazzxb
05-02-2011, 02:55 PM
:bs2:
I forgot to add my sarcasm font. Surely sarcasm is allowed? via your title you obviously have a viewpoint to push. Don't use sarcasm as an excuse for discounting reality. There was no joke there and if there was it was weak.

90'sNBARocked
05-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Can we finally put the Lance is a second round talent, no body has seen anything good

blah, blah, blah

Hate 'em or Love'em, the kid can play ball. We are not artificailly pumping him up to increase his trade value

The kid can play

BringJackBack
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Sounds like Stanko is going to be playing for us down the road.. and apparently he's got some game.

pacergod2
05-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Maybe we can make Stanko and Lance roommates. It would be like Perfect Strangers v.2011. Oh man. Now I'm excited.

90'sNBARocked
05-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Maybe we can make Stanko and Lance roommates. It would be like Perfect Strangers v.2011. Oh man. Now I'm excited.

The S&S Brothers : Stanko and Stephenson

pacer4ever
05-02-2011, 04:43 PM

This is the NBA roommates was a college thing each NBA player gets his own room.

pacer4ever
05-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I've got it, unfortunately. Had the TiVo set up to record "Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty" and ended up with this......:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRQuzEXjOQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

can you post the Eric Gordon interview please.

ballism
05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
Another Stanko mention...

"The best center outside the NBA in the world playing over in Europe."

Wow, that's pretty high praise.

Europe is drained of good NBA level big men compared to previous years. But that was boderline crazy.
How do you call someone who's clearly below a 35 year old Rasho Nesterovic (among others) "best center outside the NBA"?

pacer4ever
05-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Europe is drained of good NBA level big men compared to previous years. But that was boderline crazy.
How do you call someone who's clearly below a 35 year old Rasho Nesterovic (among others) "best center outside the NBA"?

If he is clearly worse than Rasho now no way in hell I want him. Rasho proablly walks up the court now at 35 lol.

ballism
05-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I wonder, maybe he meant Erazem Lorbek? With Lorbek you could sort-of-maybe-almost make that argument based on past achievements. But he wasn't very good this year, and he seems to be more of a Euroleague center than NBA.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Sounds like Stanko is going to be playing for us down the road.. and apparently he's got some game.
Not sure if this has been posted...but here's a quick blurb about Stanko:

http://www.netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/archives/the-nba-in-europe-stanko-barac/

This post was written by Correspondent Rafael Uehara and edited by Carl Berman of NetScouts Basketball. Rafael is the managing figure of 'The Basketball Post'. Rafael, Carl and NetScouts Basketball can be followed on twitter @rafael__uehara, @carlberman and @netscouts. Thanks to the FIBA for the picture.

The NBA in Europe: Stanko Barac

Selected with 39th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Miami Heat, very few people know that the Indiana Pacers own the NBA rights of Croatian big-man Stanko Barac. The 7-foot-1 post presence is having a breakout season in Europe replacing the departed Tiago Splitter on Caja Laboral Baskonia. After being drafted, the now 24 year-old chose to sign a five-year contract with the team to remain in Europe in order to gain some experience and skills before, possibly playing in the NBA. If the Pacers are doing their scouting right, that call should happen soon.

Replacing Tiago Splitter, the best low post presence in Europe in the last few years, is not easy but after his first half-a-season nothing indicates Barac isn’t up for the challenge. Caja Laboral is the top-ranked offense in the ACB and in the EuroLeague. Barac is the second leading-scorer in their EuroLeague campaign, averaging 14.1 points-per-game, and the third leading-scorer in their ACB league at 12.6 points-per-game. He leads the team in rebounding in both competitions.

With a higher amount of touches, in an expanded role, Barac has managed to improve his player-efficiency-rating and maintain his shooting percentages. His field-goal-attempts-per-game increased from an average of 4.9 last year to an average of 9.2 this year. His PER improved from 23.45 in a combined 42 games of EuroLeague play and ACB play last year to 25.25 in 23 games this year. His effective field-goal percentage remains at the same 58.5% from last year and the same is true for his true-shooting percentage which remained at 62%.

Barac is a big-man with legit size for the NBA, good lower-body strength and shot-blocking ability to fight the athletes that attack the rim in North America. He has good shooting ability to hit long-twos in pick-and-pop sets and good passing skills of the post. The Pacers are finally taking a step forward after getting stuck in limbo for so long but the sense of urgency for visible improvement remains the same in Indiana. Roy Hibbert has progressed but the Pacers still lack other reliable bodies to crowd the paint. Barac could serve that purpose. The fact that he’s very close to reaching his ceiling shouldn’t scare Larry Bird but actually encourage him to take a chance on him right now.
I don't know when this was written, but my guess is that it is less then a year old.

ballism
05-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Not sure if this has been posted...but here's a quick blurb about Stanko:

http://www.netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/archives/the-nba-in-europe-stanko-barac/

I don't know when this was written, but my guess is that it is less then a year old.

This seems to be from 10 Euroleague games mark this season. End of December.

His next 10 games were pretty brutal. From 14-7 to 8-4 against tougher competition.
That said, we only need a replacement for Solo, not a game changer.

MagicRat
05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
can you post the Eric Gordon interview please.

Recording cut off at commercial break after Polian interview. If Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty would've been an hour long I would've gotten it.....

Naptown_Seth
05-04-2011, 01:30 AM
Can we finally put the Lance is a second round talent, no body has seen anything good

blah, blah, blah

Hate 'em or Love'em, the kid can play ball. We are not artificailly pumping him up to increase his trade value

The kid can play
I don't agree, not one bit.

I think he often dribbles too high. I think he shows ball control issues often due to trying to make a move more difficult than necessary, but also from what appears to be concentration lapses. I think he shows a couple of moves over and over but hasn't come anywhere close to showing a true variety of moves that will allow him to escape traps and pressure or to handle being forced to go away from his stronger moves.

And worst of all he's nowhere near the caliber of Paul George when it comes to making spontaneous athletic plays on the fly. Paul is reading the game at the NBA level, Lance to me has a very obvious playground game and sees the game at that level.

I think it's those 2-3 shiny playground moves that gets everyone excited, but if you run him for 25 minutes that stuff runs thin in a hurry. And the NBA is full of other guys just like this that barely made a dent despite looking flashy and full of "potential".

A lot of this is his immaturity as it plays out on the court. It's not like you check your personality and process at the sideline when you enter the game.

Mackey_Rose
05-04-2011, 08:10 AM

Zach Randolph might be the best example of a bad guy who turned it around. Great for him, and yet I'd still be hesitant that something might still happen with him. You just don't know with these kind of guys. Anything can happen.

Let's say he has turned the corner. This is the guy that we hope Lance can emulate. It took him 4 teams to figure it out.

Maybe Lance makes a similar turn around. I think the odds are exceedingly low that he does. They are even lower that he makes the turn around with the Pacers.