PDA

View Full Version : Update at Post #55: Some news: Pacers contact Spurs' Lindsay about front office job

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_pacers_contact_spurs_lindsey_050111

Despite the Indiana Pacers having a president and general manager in place, a franchise official called the San Antonio Spurs for permission to speak to assistant general manager Dennis Lindsey about a prominent front-office job, Eastern Conference sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Jim Morris, who runs the organization’s business side, reached out to Spurs officials to talk to Lindsey, sources said. The call was received with trepidation, sources said, as Lindsey and the Spurs made clear there would be no conversations as long as Pacers president Larry Bird and GM David Morway still occupied their current jobs.

It is unclear whether the call was made with the blessing of Bird, or made discreetly on behalf of owner Herb Simon.

Pacers president Larry Bird is expected to meet with Simon in the next several days to discuss his future with the franchise. Bird’s contract expires in July, and league sources believe Simon wants Bird to continue at a lower salary.

Bird wants to be sure he still answers directly to Simon, not other business operations and financial people within the Pacers, sources said.

The most likely scenario would be the Pacers recruiting Lindsey to serve as the GM under Bird. Morway has been considered more vulnerable with his contract expiring this year, despite the fact the Pacers have accumulated several promising young players and played the top-seeded Chicago Bulls tough in an opening-round playoff loss. Morway has the GM title, but works under and reports directly to Bird. Most of the Pacers’ front-office staff members, including scouts and coaches, are working under expiring contracts.

Pacers interim coach Frank Vogel is expected to get serious consideration to be promoted to the full-time job, but it’s doubtful the coaching situation will be resolved until there’s clarity in the front office.

Lindsey is a respected executive, and has been considered on the cusp of taking over his own franchise. He turned down the Minnesota Timberwolves’ job in 2009 and pulled out the Phoenix Suns search in 2010. Lindsey spent 11 years with the Houston Rockets before joining the Spurs in 2007.

He's got a nice pedigree as far as I'm concerned. If he can work with Bird than I think that would be good for us. He's working with the right breed with SA and Houston; Build through the draft and don't throw your money away.

My question to you guys; Is this good or bad news? I take this that Morway might not be back. :laugh:

hoosierguy
05-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Morway is definitely gone.

Lindsey would be an upgrade IMO.

rwill784
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
awesome!!!

cdash
05-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Morway is definitely gone.

Lindsey would be an upgrade IMO.

I agree that Morway is probably gone, but why would Lindsey leave his current job if he were just reporting to Bird? He's turned down opportunities to run his own team, so I seriously doubt he would come here to replace Morway and report to Bird. If he came here, it would as the head decision maker.

Trophy
05-01-2011, 03:13 PM
Hopefully we look at Pritchard too.

Lindsey seems like a good choice. He and Bird would be pretty active in getting something done with the cap space.

CableKC
05-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I have no clue as to whether this is good or bad as I have no clue who Dennis Lindsay is?

What has he done other then being associated with the Spurs FO?

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 03:15 PM
I have no clue as to whether this is good or bad as I have no clue who Dennis Lindsay is?

What has he done other then being associated with the Spurs FO?

From the article:

Lindsey is a respected executive, and has been considered on the cusp of taking over his own franchise. He turned down the Minnesota Timberwolves’ job in 2009 and pulled out the Phoenix Suns search in 2010. Lindsey spent 11 years with the Houston Rockets before joining the Spurs in 2007.

This is going to be a very, very exciting summer.. so many things to be done, and potentially be done with great success.

hoosierguy
05-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I agree that Morway is probably gone, but why would Lindsey leave his current job if he were just reporting to Bird? He's turned down opportunities to run his own team, so I seriously doubt he would come here to replace Morway and report to Bird. If he came here, it would as the head decision maker.

More money and the possibility he would take over for Bird in a couple of years?

Eleazar
05-01-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree that Morway is probably gone, but why would Lindsey leave his current job if he were just reporting to Bird?

Why do we assume he would just be doing what Bird tells him? I think there is probably a lot more collaborations between Bird and GM than that, otherwise there is almost no reason to even have the GM position.

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 03:29 PM
More news this time from Wells:

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
There's a possibility Bird will give the GM (whoever it is) more duties if he returns as president, according to source.

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
Source confirms @WojYahooNBA's report of Pacers reaching out to Spurs asst GM for GM job.

cdash
05-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Why do we assume he would just be doing what Bird tells him? I think there is probably a lot more collaborations between Bird and GM than that, otherwise there is almost no reason to even have the GM position.

I'm sure that there is a lot of collaboration between the two. They are working together, after all. But ultimately, the decision is Bird's.

cdash
05-01-2011, 03:32 PM
More money and the possibility he would take over for Bird in a couple of years?

I can't imagine he would get much more money, if any at all. Again, he has turned down chances to run his own team, and the Pacers aren't exactly a glamor organization, so the possibility of taking over for Bird in a couple of years probably isn't a big carrot for him.

vnzla81
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
OK so this is telling me that is almost a sure thing that Morway is not coming back, I rather have Pritchard if you ask me.

Spirit
05-01-2011, 03:42 PM
He wouldn't be replacing Morway. He'd be replacing Bird if he declines a lower salary.

ksuttonjr76
05-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Meh...Morway is just an advisor to Larry Bird. I just googled David Morway, and he doesn't seem that important of an individual to the Pacers.

immortality
05-01-2011, 05:07 PM

Both situations with Wolves and Suns were pretty terrible when he was asked. Wolves were barely winning any games and Suns had to deal with the Amare contract situation. Atleast Pacers are somewhat on the brighter horizon of the basketball spectrum with new cap space, and a solid core of players.

cdash
05-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Both situations with Wolves and Suns were pretty terrible when he was asked. Wolves were barely winning any games and Suns had to deal with the Amare contract situation. Atleast Pacers are somewhat on the brighter horizon of the basketball spectrum with new cap space, and a solid core of players.

I understand why he didn't take those jobs, but again why would he leave a first class organization like this Spurs for a largely lateral move?

idioteque
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I understand why he didn't take those jobs, but again why would he leave a first class organization like this Spurs for a largely lateral move?

Because he thinks his overall career prospects would be enhanced by joining a team that is just about the reap the benefits of rebuilding as opposed to one that is going to probably have to begin that painful process with no guarantee that they will ever be in a position as good as we are in right now?

vnzla81
05-01-2011, 05:36 PM

It could be because the Spurs are maybe going to start the rebuilding process probably next year and the Pacers are pretty much done with it.

Tom White
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
From the article:

The article only tells us where he worked, and the jobs he turned down. It does not actually tell us what he has done.

In other words, what transactions might he have had a hand in, and what responsibilities did he have?

idioteque
05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
The article only tells us where he worked, and the jobs he turned down. It does not actually tell us what he has done.

In other words, what transactions might he have had a hand in, and what responsibilities did he have?

Any transactions that the Spurs themselves have executed? I'm sure he has played a role in all of those. I rarely see any detail other than that given to the public. I mean, I don't think we even know what trades Bird and Walsh were specifically responsible during the reign of the two headed monster.

pacer4ever
05-01-2011, 05:51 PM

he is an assit gm now being promoted to GM would be better career wise.

Speed
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Is Morway the guy and the reason that Mel Daniels was let go?

Isn't Morway just the financial understanding arm of Larry's basketball building?

Is Morway a Bird guy or did Larry inherit him from when Donnie was here before?

Sorr,y I really never ever understand why you need a GM and a President, I'm sure there is good reason, but I don't get it.

HeliumFear
05-01-2011, 06:42 PM
The Spurs have one of the best front offices in all of sports. This would be a good hiring if we can get it done.

pacer4ever
05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Is Morway the guy and the reason that Mel Daniels was let go?

Isn't Morway just the financial understanding arm of Larry's basketball building?

Sorr,y I really never ever understand why you need a GM and a President, I'm sure there is good reason, but I don't get it.

Morway has been with the Pacers for 10 years. He was only promoted to gm after Larry took Donnie Walshes spot in 08. There are tons of postions that help Larry Bird put together the team Morway isnt the only guy.

cdash
05-01-2011, 06:57 PM
he is an assit gm now being promoted to GM would be better career wise.

In title only. The assistant GM of the Spurs is like the #2 in line behind the GM (the main decision maker). It would be the same thing here, but with different titles. Yes, he would be the GM, but he would still be the #2 guy behind Bird. So really, nothing would change.

pacer4ever
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
In title only. The assistant GM of the Spurs is like the #2 in line behind the GM (the main decision maker). It would be the same thing here, but with different titles. Yes, he would be the GM, but he would still be the #2 guy behind Bird. So really, nothing would change.

The Spurs are at the end of there run also with their core aging. Maybe he feels like this would be a better siuation. He also knows that Larry will likly retire soon. While the GM in SA has job security i would assume.

Kegboy
05-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Meh...Morway is just an advisor to Larry Bird. I just googled David Morway, and he doesn't seem that important of an individual to the Pacers.

And Vogel was just an advisor to O'Brien.

History has shown that the inner workings of PS&E are not laid bare on the internet. If half of what I've heard about Morway is true, I'd be fine with him gone. Although, at least he knew Terrence Williams couldn't shoot. :-p

Lindsay would probably be a good hire. It should be said he may very well want to bring Budenholzer with him to coach.

wintermute
05-01-2011, 07:54 PM

Yup, Morway was here before Bird.

Let's face it, Bird was hired because of his name, and possibly because of his ability to evaluate players. I doubt very much that Bird has the training to run a front office on his own. Hence the need for a strong GM. Just as in his head coach days, I think Bird needs assistants who can work on the actual details while being a big picture guy.

Does it bother anyone else that the Pacers are contacting potential replacements while both Bird and Morway are still under contract? It certainly seemed to bother Lindsey.

As for Lindsey himself, couldn't seem to find much about him other than what's posted already. Oh, on Spurs Talk, there were some people who blamed him for the Scola trade to the Rockets, since it happened just after he joined the Spurs from the Rockets. I don't think he could have so much influence so soon after joining the Spurs though.

grace
05-01-2011, 08:05 PM
It is unclear whether the call was made with the blessing of Bird, or made discreetly on behalf of owner Herb Simon.

Can't be too discrete if it made the internet.

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Uhh..

MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
The Pacers are taking aggressive approach in doing background checks on possible candidates in case Bird and Simon don't reach an agreement

ChristianDudley
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM
wow, that's interesting^^^

...is that because they don't want to accidentally hire one of O'Brien's henchmen?? lol

Eleazar
05-01-2011, 08:20 PM
This is most likely pretty standard, just usually not so public. No team is going to just go into talks that could take a while without preparing for the worse.

Major Cold
05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells
The Pacers are taking aggressive approach in doing background checks on possible candidates in case Bird and Simon don't reach an agreement

Ok...This is sounding like two different stories.

If Bird has not sit down with Simon yet, why are we interviewing the replacement for Morway? And then why aren't we interviewing coaches as well? This all sounds like Bird wants to return, but the money is not right...but he hopes a meeting with Simon wants to change things?

This is just messed up. Am I missing something?

cdash
05-01-2011, 08:34 PM
The Spurs are at the end of there run also with their core aging. Maybe he feels like this would be a better siuation. He also knows that Larry will likly retire soon. While the GM in SA has job security i would assume.

I guess, but it still doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. This guy could run his own team without having to report to anyone. Plus, I think the demise of the Spurs is greatly exaggerated around here.

imawhat
05-01-2011, 08:42 PM
MikeWellsNBA Mike Wells

Stephenson for President.

Young
05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Interesting that David Mowrey likely won't be back. Use to hear great things about him.

After the job Bird has done it's also interesting that Simon doesn't seem set on bringing him back. It seems like he will only pay him so much.

Maybe i'm reading too much into it. I just get the sense that Simon is not happy with teh front office, for whatever reasons, and changes look likely.

owl
05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
So maybe Bird's comments about spending money had nothing to do with cap space but it was about his salary. Why does Bird need to take a pay cut after working through all the salary cap bad years? Seems odd to me. If Bird goes then Vogel very likely will also be gone.

Will Galen
05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
It sounds to me like office politics.

I've always thought something was going on when Bird wanted all the basketball contracts to expire at the same time. I thought it sounded like a way for Bird, if he came back, to get rid of some long time office people by just not rehiring them.

And remember in his press conference Bird said he wanted to ask Simon some questions, and the one he referred to in the press conference, i.e., spending money, I thought was a given, just Bird providing camouflage to his real question. That being, "Do I have a free hand to fire and hire the people I want?" Which would include Morway, and also Vogel who I'm not sure he's made up his mind about. I think if he finds someone he likes better than Vogel he will hire them.)

If he gets the free hand he wants then I don't think a salary cut will bother him. He indicated some time ago (paraphrased) that he was set for life and a pay cut wouldn't bother him.

PR07
05-01-2011, 10:36 PM
At this point, I doubt Bird is doing it for the money. Once a competitor, always a competitor. I don't see him having a problem with a paycut, unless it's just plain insulting compared to the GM average.

As for Morway, it's hard for me to say if a replacement would be good or bad because I don't know all the moves that Morway has been responsible for.

PacersRule
05-02-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2011/05/01/incentive_is_there_to_keep_bird_from_flying_away/?page=4

Just saw this and was wondering, if Bird stays, what are the chances McHale gets an interview since they were former teammates? Hibbert could also benefit from a big man coach. Frankly I don't know anything about McHale as a coach so just throwing this out there.

Former Celtic Kevin McHale wants to coach again and will interview for the Houston job

wintermute
05-02-2011, 05:30 AM
At this point, I doubt Bird is doing it for the money. Once a competitor, always a competitor. I don't see him having a problem with a paycut, unless it's just plain insulting compared to the GM average.

If Vecsey is to be believed, we're talking a very substantial paycut:

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/knicks/knicks_future_will_come_down_to_fBtFgGeBo6cGcoKHA2 dzLO

Iím not saying owner Herb Simon wonít try to re-enlist Bird, though thatís a distinct possibility. Should an offer be extended, however, it definitely wonít be remotely near the $5 million he will have banked for eight straight seasons ó more like $1 million, tops, per year for three or four.

From $5m per year to $1m is a steep haircut - but in fairness $5m is pretty well-paid for a GM. Pritchard for example was getting around $1m in Portland before he was fired.

Will Galen
05-02-2011, 06:30 AM
We need to keep every article with information about the Pacers. I say that because there was an article in the news probably within the last year where Bird was talking about taking a paycut. It didn't seem to be a big deal to him. As I said earlier he indicated that he was set for life and a pay cut wouldn't bother him.

Speed
05-02-2011, 06:52 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2011/05/01/incentive_is_there_to_keep_bird_from_flying_away/?page=4

Just saw this and was wondering, if Bird stays, what are the chances McHale gets an interview since they were former teammates? Hibbert could also benefit from a big man coach. Frankly I don't know anything about McHale as a coach so just throwing this out there.

I think this changes things if Larry stays on.

Tom White
05-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Any transactions that the Spurs themselves have executed? I'm sure he has played a role in all of those. I rarely see any detail other than that given to the public. I mean, I don't think we even know what trades Bird and Walsh were specifically responsible during the reign of the two headed monster.

The word "transactions" was probably a bad choice on my part. I guess the better question is, in what area of the operation does his expertise and duties reside? Is he their cap specialist or is he more of a manager of personnel in the FO? That is what I'm more curious about.

Justin Tyme
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
in fairness $5m is pretty well-paid for a GM. Pritchard for example was getting around $1m in Portland before he was fired.

I have never understood why Bird got a salary of 5 mil when that's more than many other GM's get.

Questions:

How much did Simons pay Walsh?
How much is Dolan paying Walsh in NY?

pacergod2
05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I think Lindsay would get a pay raise. That is enticing. Plus he will have more tradeable assets than he would in SA. There is still a pecking order in any organization and Lindsay won't get a top job anywhere yet. I think Morway is leaving for more money. He was a top candidate for the Phoenix job when Kerr left. I think Morway wants more money and a little more control than what he has had here. I prefer Larry's ability to analyze talent. Morway is a very smart GM. He is the legal side to Bird's basketball side. I think Morway would like a little more say with the basketball side.

Lindsay would be a better hire than Pritchard. I think Pritchard gets a lot more attention because his name was associated with a lot of trades. He gets more credit for his volume than he does for the quality. (I am not disputing he did a good job at all). I think Lindsay would fit the more patient and directed approach by Bird than Pritchard and his free wheeling ways. Just my opinion.

BillS
05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
If Vecsey is to be believed, we're talking a very substantial paycut:

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/sports/knicks/knicks_future_will_come_down_to_fBtFgGeBo6cGcoKHA2 dzLO

From $5m per year to $1m is a steep haircut - but in fairness $5m is pretty well-paid for a GM. Pritchard for example was getting around $1m in Portland before he was fired.

Herb, I'll do it for $500K.

Lou Bega
05-02-2011, 10:19 AM

Kevin Mc Hale had a run in Minnesota. He would make a better big man coach than anything else. I believe if Dennis Johnson was still alive he would have an impact on this organization. Bird once said "DJ was the best player he ever played with."

naptownmenace
05-02-2011, 10:27 AM
So maybe Bird's comments about spending money had nothing to do with cap space but it was about his salary. Why does Bird need to take a pay cut after working through all the salary cap bad years? Seems odd to me. If Bird goes then Vogel very likely will also be gone.

That's exactly what I thought when I read about this. Bird is essentially a free agent and I guess to come back he would like more money.

I also think that Mr. Simon might not be happy about some of the remarks that David Morway made about the failed trade at the NBA trade deadline. IIRC, the Pacers and Grizzlies were fined for talking about the failed trade and throwing the other team/s under the bus.

I definitely think Simon was miffed that Bird basically called him cheap by questioning whether he would be willing 'to spend the money" to pursue free agents.

imbtyler
05-02-2011, 10:29 AM

I don't think Herb'll be vying for the lowest bidder, or that I would want him to.

But I'll do it for $200k. And a 90% discount at Home Court.

Will Galen
05-02-2011, 10:33 AM

I think you would do a good job. You have common sense.

indygeezer
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
I think you would do a good job. You have common sense.

I think you have him mixed up with me.

Eindar
05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
My understanding is the McHale was a very good coach, and a terrible GM. If he'd be willing to coach, I think he'd be an excellent candidate. The guys up in Minnesota were very upset when he didn't get to keep the coaching job.

Hicks
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2011/05/01/the-search-is-on/

So we've done this with Kevin Pritchard as well. It probably doesn't stop with those two, either.

Wells also implies this is being done without Morway's involvement. I think David Morway is done in Indiana.

Will Galen
05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I definitely think Simon was miffed that Bird basically called him cheap by questioning whether he would be willing 'to spend the money" to pursue free agents.

I wouldn't call it miffed, but I agree Herb was questioning why Bird would want to know if he could spend money. It's all ready been in the news that Herb would spend up to the tax line. So I wondered why Bird wanted to know that too. So the question is why would Bird be questioning that?

Remember the Pacers were wanting more money from the city to run the fieldhouse. So the Pacers finance gurus probably give him that thought.

So Bird was simply wanting to know if that was still true.

I think Bird has at least three questions for Herb.

1] The one we talked about above.
2] Can he hire and fire who he wants in the office.
3] Great! I forgot my other question! Age does that to people. My problem is I was about ten when it started doing to to me.

Will Galen
05-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I think you have him mixed up with me.

Could be if your the tall good looking one!

vnzla81
05-02-2011, 10:59 AM

So we've done this with Kevin Pritchard as well. It probably doesn't stop with those two, either.

Wells also implies this is being done without Morway's involvement. I think David Morway is done in Indiana.

I really hope is Pritchard, he knows how to make deals, Bird should give half of his salary to Vogel, he pretty much saved what was going to be a horrible season.

Kegboy
05-02-2011, 11:03 AM
This would certainly inform Morway's decision to go on WTHR last night and make his case for the job.

Shade
05-02-2011, 11:24 AM

Or, Bird is done, and Morway is being promoted to his position.

Gamble1
05-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Today was a good day until you said this..

BillS
05-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I have had some concerns with Morway's ability to get along with people - this might be the best of all worlds to me, keep Bird at the top and get a competent dealmaker who can work with personnel as the GM. Then, when Bird leaves, give the GM all the reins.

indygeezer
05-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Or Morway is at least a candidate for the job. :hmm:

and Will, just keep the sunglasses on...you'll never know that way.

Will Galen
05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Or Morway is at least a candidate for the job. :hmm:

and Will, just keep the sunglasses on...you'll never know that way.

Geezer; I don't have really dark sunglasses. Can't see the girls running around on the beach in those skimpy bikinis that way. Why sometimes I even take them off . . . .

Myself, I want Bird to stay as Prez, and Pritchard to be hired as GM.

JB24
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I have had some concerns with Morway's ability to get along with people - this might be the best of all worlds to me, keep Bird at the top and get a competent dealmaker who can work with personnel as the GM. Then, when Bird leaves, give the GM all the reins.

Isn't Pritchard supposed to be an arrogant egomaniac (if the team is indeed looking closely at him)?

BillS
05-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Isn't Pritchard supposed to be an arrogant egomaniac (if the team is indeed looking closely at him)?

Haven't seen any reports of how he dealt with his staff and other personnel of the Blazers. If you have them, I'd be interested.

Peck
05-02-2011, 01:06 PM
I really hope is Pritchard, he knows how to make deals, Bird should give half of his salary to Vogel, he pretty much saved what was going to be a horrible season.

Never forget though that Morway was the person behind what was at the time the largest trade exemption in the history of the NBA. Peja for a second rounder. He also is the person who did the work on J.O. to Toronto.

Morway is actually quite astute when it comes to player trades. Also if you've ever heard him speak or be around him during a game I can assure you that what some of us complained about over the past 3.5 years was also a lot of what he complained about.

No basektball is not really the problem with him. If it were just that then in all honesty I would be happy to just let him run the show.

However as BillS alluded to, his people skills have been questioned. Let's just say there are no sacred cows in the org.according to him. But in fairness to him I will say this, nobody knows the real truth there and it could be he didn't get along or had a napolian complex or it could be the assistant principle factor coming into play. In other words he was the hatchet man for someone else making the call & it was his job to be the @ss.

Peck
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Haven't seen any reports of how he dealt with his staff and other personnel of the Blazers. If you have them, I'd be interested.

Bill it will take some digging but yes, there were reports coming out that he was fired from Portland simply because of arrogance. There has to be some glimmer of truth there because by all accounts he was very successfull on the court. I read somewhere that he was univerally hated by almost everyone in their front office and that a lot of G.M.'s around the NBA did not like dealing with him.

That would explain a little why a guy who did such a good job of turning around a franchise has sat on the sidelines so long and not been picked up.

Hicks
05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

I would think that if Morway was getting a promotion, he not only would have been given a heads up about Lindsey and Pritchard, he would have had direct involvement with who to reach out to.

Hicks
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Never forget though that Morway was the person behind what was at the time the largest trade exemption in the history of the NBA. Peja for a second rounder. He also is the person who did the work on J.O. to Toronto.

That's the first I've heard about him being the main player on the JO trade. Where did you get that impression, or where was that written?

JB24
05-02-2011, 01:31 PM

I could only find one (a Woj article on the Darius Miles saga) but as Peck mentions, there have been rumblings for a while, particularly around the time Paul Allen was preparing to fire him.

From the start, Pritchard stumbled into the one rabid NBA market where a general manager can aspire to celebrity. Portland declared Pritchard the Golden Boy, the Gambler, and played songs about him on the radio. Never once did he seem embarrassed. Never did he do much but furiously feed the rush to declare him a genius.

He bragged of draining three cell-phone batteries a day. He bought high-risk stocks, and he never laid up on a par-5. He loves those little details about himself getting into the papers. True? Who knows? It sure made for a fast-rising legend, though. He wanted everyone to believe that he worked harder and longer and smarter. Maybe he thought it all portrayed a confidence, but it mostly masked an insecurity.

He stockpiled draft choices like Reagan did nuclear warheads, buying up millions of dollars worth of picks from cash-strapped teams over the past several seasons. He never has been afraid to rub that advantage into the faces of his peers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-milespritchard011709

Peck
05-02-2011, 01:33 PM
That's the first I've heard about him being the main player on the JO trade. Where did you get that impression, or where was that written?

I don't know if I can find it or not but a lot of the information came from Toronto execs. talking about dealing with Morway for the deal itself but Bird finalized it.

Came from one of the Toronto papers, I'll see if I can dig it up.

BillS
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
I know there was always speculation that GMs hate dealing with Bird because he isn't easy to work with and doesn't negotiate well. I think that is why the Morway work comes into play.

With the Pritchard info, that might be more dangerous than we thought and should pause some of the folks clamoring for him.

Kegboy
05-02-2011, 02:44 PM
In regards to Pritchard, Wojo has been extremely negative about him for years, to the point that he still takes pot shots at him in articles that have nothing to do with Portland. Now, certainly Wojo is a well respected writer, has been for a long time, but I can't help but feel he has a personal axe to grind with the guy. On the flip side, I swear I saw David Aldridge write glowingly about Pritchard within the last few months, maybe when the news came out about him here.

I do think it's a fair criticism that Allen's money made Pritchard's job easier. But he still made very good drafting decisions and made some very astute trades. And as Wells said, the Pacers are asking around about him, they'll learn whatever there is to be known about his ego and personal skills. Of course, this is the same organization that treated Ron like a saint and said Lance wouldn't be a problem, so who the hell knows. :whoknows:

docpaul
05-02-2011, 03:31 PM

I really doubt this.

I've mentioned this a couple of times now:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1201676#post1201676

...but I have a good friend in the organization who said that Morway is almost certainly out the door. This was a conversation a few months ago.

I suspect that Morway feels he has nothing to lose by going public here, but the writing has been on the wall for some time.

Midcoasted
05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
So I'm taking a shot in the dark, but does this indicate that Morway is the fall guy for JOB not being canned long ago? Maybe Bird left the decision up to him and once it was discovered leaving JOB on for all that time as our coach was moronic, then Morway gets the blame?

It was obvious JOB's extension was a huge mistake. It may have cost us a playoff series because who knows what our record could have been with a better coach? Maybe we would have got the 5 seed and upset Atlanta? I think Orlando is finished since SVG's JOB trash talk, and they proved me right in the playoffs. Without Howard, they are a lottery team. He's the only reason they are decent.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 05:46 PM
I think that adding Pritchard to the Pacers FO would give the Franchise a legitimate and well known face to the FO while adding a certain level of swagger.

No one has any clue who Lindsay is...but Pritchard? yeah, everyone has heard of him and the reputation that comes along with him.

Trophy
05-02-2011, 05:47 PM
This is still really up in the air.

In Morway's interview, he still sounded optimistic and talked about wanting to take over for Bird if needed.

Bird still sounds 50/50.

If the team is looking at other GMs, I don't think Morway will be back and Bird is probably going to play a huge role in searching for one.

BBQ
05-02-2011, 06:25 PM
I wonder if Morway is taking the fall for the front office not being able to get the deal done at the trade deadline.

Peck
05-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I wonder if Morway is taking the fall for the front office not being able to get the deal done at the trade deadline.

Ya know, I've never thought about that but I wonder if maybe you aren't on to something there.

BBQ
05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Ya know, I've never thought about that but I wonder if maybe you aren't on to something there.

It was an embarrassment to the team, no matter what version of events you believe. I just figure the other shoe has to drop on someone.

Professor S
05-03-2011, 09:51 AM
"Pacers president Larry Bird won't meet with owner Herb Simon until early next week." per Wells' Twitter. Great. Nothing like indecision to keep the franchise moving forward.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Why don't they meet right now, what else are they doing right now that is more important. If they cannot meet in person get on the phone. Time is a wasting.

pacergod2
05-03-2011, 10:20 AM
I think Bird wants to be able to go out and get a GM, coach, and maybe some new scouts who are all top notch. That is the kind of spending I think Bird is referring to. Not necessarily "how much are you going to pay me". I think Bird will present Simon with a rough plan of what moves he will be looking to make and the kind of money he envisions for his FO personnel. I think that the phone calls to Pritchard and Lindsay are from Bird's directive to see what kind of money they will be looking for to present to Simon. I really think Bird wants to come back, but the franchise loses more by losing him IMO than he loses by not coming back. He wants to make sure his hands aren't tied to bad coaches and personnel that will make the job more complicated than he wants it to be.

With Morway, I wonder if some of the front office moves have been related to him. Kahn, Perkins, Mel Daniels, I'm wondering if he was behind some of the bad blood we have had in the past few years. Morway is tremendous with the legal/financial aspects of NBA decision making, but who knows what is going on with this guy.

I am all on board with going after Lindsay. While I like Pritchard and think his free-wheeling would be a decent compliment to Bird's patience, I would prefer Lindsay who I think would work better with Bird. Lindsay seems very well respected across the NBA community and seems to be more of a big picture guy like Bird. Lindsay has been involved with one of the best and most consistent front offices in the NBA. I prefer his maturity to Pritchard's ego needs. I don't really want Pritchard to turn over the roster. That will be a problem with an owner who doesn't want to breach the tax threshold.

Justin Tyme
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
Why don't they meet right now, what else are they doing right now that is more important. If they cannot meet in person get on the phone. Time is a wasting.

Since Bird hired Jimmy over the phone, you'd think he wouldn't be adverse to talking to Herb on the phone.

As far as getting nothing done on Monday, I hope Bird did his due diligence and was 1 of the 20 teams in attendance at Joe Craft Center in Lexington watching the workout Calipari had with Knight, Jones, Liggins, and Harrelson. If not, I'll be very disappointed a 4 hour drive wasn't made to see Knight and Jones.

vnzla81
05-03-2011, 10:43 AM

He took his time to fire JOB(2+years) I don't think he is an hurry.

Professor S
05-03-2011, 11:25 AM
https://twitter.com/elpacero/status/65422270092414977

"Found out Bird met w/ Simon last week & cap $ was an issue. Either Wed or Thurs, thinking before media stuff but not sure."

Reading El Pacero's twitter, and his subsequent conversation with me, it appears a prior meeting may have prompted Bird calling out Simon at the press conference. Perhaps we are about to have a lot of cap space that he isn't willing to spend.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
We have to spend enough to reach the minimum each team has to spend

I have a hard time believing that after all these years the Simons are not willing to spend the money - unless they are looking to sell the team.

Professor S
05-03-2011, 11:39 AM
We have to spend enough to reach the minimum each team has to spend

I have a hard time believing that after all these years the Simons are not willing to spend the money - unless they are looking to sell the team.

I realize we have to spend a certain amount. I understand Simon is not worth what he used to be, and I'm okay with not using ALL our cap space this summer and saving some for a better FA class in 2012. But we can't pinch pennies either. We are on the cusp of becoming a contender - I don't want to have to trade for players with spinal cord injuries just to meet minimum salary requirements a la the Kings.

Will Galen
05-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I am all on board with going after Lindsay. While I like Pritchard and think his free-wheeling would be a decent compliment to Bird's patience, I would prefer Lindsay who I think would work better with Bird. Lindsay seems very well respected across the NBA community and seems to be more of a big picture guy like Bird. Lindsay has been involved with one of the best and most consistent front offices in the NBA. I prefer his maturity to Pritchard's ego needs. I don't really want Pritchard to turn over the roster. That will be a problem with an owner who doesn't want to breach the tax threshold.

I was a Pritchard guy, but you, and others, have changed my mind with the points you guys made. Now I prefer Lindsay.

naptownmenace
05-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Since Bird hired Jimmy over the phone, you'd think he wouldn't be adverse to talking to Herb on the phone.

As far as getting nothing done on Monday, I hope Bird did his due diligence and was 1 of the 20 teams in attendance at Joe Craft Center in Lexington watching the workout Calipari had with Knight, Jones, Liggins, and Harrelson. If not, I'll be very disappointed a 4 hour drive wasn't made to see Knight and Jones.

Yes, we know that Bird and Morway will be responsible for the draft so it's not like they can just go on a long vacation. Bird said so in his press conference. There are plenty of deals that can be made during the draft so they could be working on that.

Also, Larry is under contract until the end of July... 2 almost 3 months from now. There really isn't a need to rush right now. If we don't hear something in the by next Monday or Tuesday, then we can start to wonder what's holding them up.

aaronb
05-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, we know that Bird and Morway will be responsible for the draft so it's not like they can just go on a long vacation. Bird said so in his press conference. There are plenty of deals that can be made during the draft so they could be working on that.

Also, Larry is under contract until the end of July... 2 almost 3 months from now. There really isn't a need to rush right now. If we don't hear something in the by next Monday or Tuesday, then we can start to wonder what's holding them up.

Everyone is neglecting to mention the looming lockout? From all accounts players wouldn't be paid, but front office personnel and coaches will be paid.

Why would Simon rush to pay someone for a season that might not be happening?

Why should Simon rush to resign a guy he's been paying for 8 years with overall terrible results?

I trust the guy to do his due diligence, and make a good hire. Be it Morway, Larry, Pritchard, Walsh or Lindsey?

cdash
05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
For the record (these things bug me; pet peeve), it's Lindsey, not Lindsay. Sorry. Don't mean to be that guy.

Peck
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Everyone is neglecting to mention the looming lockout? From all accounts players wouldn't be paid, but front office personnel and coaches will be paid.

Why should Simon rush to resign a guy he's been paying for 8 years with overall terrible results?

I trust the guy to do his due diligence, and make a good hire. Be it Morway, Larry, Pritchard, Walsh or Lindsey?

I was going to thank your post because you make a good point. However I could not in good conscious just blindly thank it without pointing out my disagreement with the bolded section.

I understand you have a bias against Bird & I'm cool with that (it would be hypocritical of me to dog someone for going after a g.m. of our team considering what I thought of Walsh over the years). I just don't happen to agree with you.

I'm with you on his O'Brien stance, that was a God awful decision. But I think Walsh was still the man until he wasn't (which was when he left).

However everything else you said in this post is 100% correct IMO.

aaronb
05-03-2011, 01:46 PM
I was going to thank your post because you make a good point. However I could not in good conscious just blindly thank it without pointing out my disagreement with the bolded section.

I understand you have a bias against Bird & I'm cool with that (it would be hypocritical of me to dog someone for going after a g.m. of our team considering what I thought of Walsh over the years). I just don't happen to agree with you.

I'm with you on his O'Brien stance, that was a God awful decision. But I think Walsh was still the man until he wasn't (which was when he left).

However everything else you said in this post is 100% correct IMO.

Fair enough, we all have and are completely entitled to our own opinions.

My point is that Simon doesn't really need to RUSH to do anything right now. I'm sure he knows what he has in Bird in Morway? I'd think he was being neglectful of the franchise if he didn't AT LEAST kick the tires on what alternatives are out there?

Bottom line is that its a vital time for this franchise to choose the road its going to follow. Not something that should be done haphazardly.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 02:05 PM

I've pointed this out several times when a similar point is brought up. last time in 1999, the lockout was settled on January 6th but not ratified until January 20th. The season started on February 5th. That is not nearly enough time to hire a GM, coach, figure out what is in the new CBA, determine how to get ready for the season.

No, you must have your GM, coach and veryone in place ready to go at a moments notice. Doing anything else would be stupid and a disaster.

I think time is a huge issue right now. Other teams are interviewing coaches, if the pacers do not intend to bring Vogel back they must start interviewing and of course they need to figure who the GM is first.

If anything the lockout looming makes it more important to get it done quickly

Kegboy
05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
With Morway, I wonder if some of the front office moves have been related to him. Kahn, Perkins, Mel Daniels, I'm wondering if he was behind some of the bad blood we have had in the past few years. Morway is tremendous with the legal/financial aspects of NBA decision making, but who knows what is going on with this guy.

You may be right, and if Morway is such a troublemaker in the front office I certainly wouldn't want him to take over. However, I would caution that even if Morway were behind such things, it's not like he could have made those moves without Larry's blessing. For all the talk that Larry is blameless for everything before 2008 because he wasn't "in charge", I'd hate for the reverse to happen now.

Peck
05-03-2011, 02:08 PM
I've pointed this out several times when a similar point is brought up. last time in 1999, the lockout was settled on January 6th but not ratified until January 20th. The season started on February 5th. That is not nearly enough time to hire a GM, coach, figure out what is in the new CBA, determine how to get ready for the season.

No, you must have your GM, coach and veryone in place ready to go at a moments notice. Doing anything else would be stupid and a disaster

While I agree with you I have to wonder if Simon maybe doesn't know that this will be a looooooooooooooooooong drawn out process? Not a six month thing but a season ending thing.

CableKC
05-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I was a Pritchard guy, but you, and others, have changed my mind with the points you guys made. Now I prefer Lindsay.

I can understand why you may want to back off of KP, but do you prefer Lindsay because of what he has done?

Or

Do you prefer Lindsay because there are no other options on the table that we are aware of?

For now, I am still on the fence about Lindsay. I simply don't have any information on him other than the fact that he's in the Spurs FO. There are other top notch FO out there that have Asst that we can raid, what makes him so special? I'm not saying that he may not be the guy, I'm just saying that I do not have enough info on the guy to make an informed decision on him.

Will Galen
05-03-2011, 02:22 PM
While I agree with you I have to wonder if Simon maybe doesn't know that this will be a looooooooooooooooooong drawn out process? Not a six month thing but a season ending thing.

I agree with both you and Buck somewhat. The thing is even if you know there's going to be a lockout (and Herbs in the position to know that) it wouldn't be to smart to let everyone hang. They could get other offers and leave and then the lockout could end suddenly and the Pacers could be scrambling to find good personal.

What I think will be the likeliest scenario. Herb will just rehire Larry and let Larry hire who he wants and not worry about it.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 02:24 PM

I still think you need to get everyone in hired, fired and in place right away, the sooner the better.

Will Galen
05-03-2011, 02:31 PM
I can understand why you may want to back off of KP, but do you prefer Lindsay because of what he has done?

Or

Do you prefer Lindsay because there are no other options on the table that we are aware of?

For now, I am still on the fence about Lindsay. I simply don't have any information on him other than the fact that he's in the Spurs FO. There are other top notch FO out there that have Asst that we can raid, what makes him so special? I'm not saying that he may not be the guy, I'm just saying that I do not have enough info on the guy to make an informed decision on him.

I don't think we are ever going to have enough information to make an informed decision. We're not in the position to get that type information. Personally I just go basically by what guys with better sources that myself are saying.

What I think is you could mix up all the office personal in the NBA and who would win would have more to do with how those ping pong balls bounce in the draft than who runs or works in the front office.

PS. Along with the ping pong balls, throw in being a big market too.

aaronb
05-03-2011, 02:55 PM
What I think will be the likeliest scenario. Herb will just rehire Larry and let Larry hire who he wants and not worry about it.

I think the fact he let Larry be a Free Agent points to exactly the opposite. Larry has been on the payroll and making more than 5 million dollars for 8 years now. Surely there has been a point in time where Simon could have extended his contract?

Larry likely wouldn't be making public statements about commitments if he felt secure in keeping his job either?

What we might be witnessing is Simon trying to separate his franchise from a local legend. While not causing any public outcry?

Will Galen
05-03-2011, 03:02 PM
I think the fact he let Larry be a Free Agent points to exactly the opposite. ?

It's been all over the news that Herb wants Larry back.

pacergod2
05-03-2011, 03:09 PM
You may be right, and if Morway is such a troublemaker in the front office I certainly wouldn't want him to take over. However, I would caution that even if Morway were behind such things, it's not like he could have made those moves without Larry's blessing. For all the talk that Larry is blameless for everything before 2008 because he wasn't "in charge", I'd hate for the reverse to happen now.

Yeah. I am definitely not convicting Morway of anything, but it seems a little odd that Morway isn't even in the conversation until he puts himself out there for Bird's job. Is this the way he has handled himself in other matters? Is it Bird that is the real problem and Morway is tired of being a puppet? Who really knows. I just think there must be something behind the rumors of guys who would fill a GM position, moreso than guys who would fill a President of Basketball Operations position.

There has been some issues in our front office over the last several years and someone is still here while others are gone. I also think it might point more towards Morway, because Bird was the one that said:

"Mel was a great basketball player who helped make the Pacers a well-known franchise. We wish him well. The Pacers are working with Mel, and we are hopeful we will be able to make a joint statement in the near future." http://www.wthr.com/story/11372401/pacers-fire-mel-daniels?redirected=true

I know it is PC, but I think from a management perspective, you wouldn't issue a statement like this from the person on the other side of the fight. It would probably be coming from a person not directly involved in the issues. JMO though.

As for Lindsey (thanks cdash), he was the replacement for Sam Presti as SA GM. he took over beginning in the 2007-08 season beginning with the 2007 draft. A lot of what was done was under Presti. He still had very good drafts, IMO.

2007 - Tiago Splitter #28, Marcus Williams #33, Giorgos Printezis #58
2008 - George Hill #26, Goran Dragic #45, James Gist #57 (Dragic was traded to Phoenix for the pick that they took Blair with plus cash)
2009 - DeJuan Blair #37, Jack McClinton #51, Nando de Colo #53
2010 - James Anderson #20, Ryan Richards #49

I think those draft picks have been terrific. Nice balance between upside, foreign, and guys who fit a need. A lot of those players have found playing time within their first three years. They did trade away Luis Scola to the Rockets for another international in Vassilis Spanoulis and a 2nd rounder. That was one of the first moves when he got there so he may not have been involved too much with the Scola trade in 2007.

Here is a great website that shows where Dennis Lindsey was hired and every transaction under RC Buford afterward.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=&Team=spurs&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginDate=2002-7-1&submit=Search&start=175

aaronb
05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
It's been all over the news that Herb wants Larry back.

Words and actions are separate things. Why would they secretly reach out to Lindsey if things were already foregone?

pacergod2
05-03-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the fact he let Larry be a Free Agent points to exactly the opposite. Larry has been on the payroll and making more than 5 million dollars for 8 years now. Surely there has been a point in time where Simon could have extended his contract?

Larry likely wouldn't be making public statements about commitments if he felt secure in keeping his job either?

What we might be witnessing is Simon trying to separate his franchise from a local legend. While not causing any public outcry?

While you could very well be right, I think this is wishful thinking.

pacergod2
05-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Words and actions are separate things. Why would they secretly reach out to Lindsey if things were already foregone?

I'd be very surprised if they brought in an Assistant GM to make the jump to President of Basketball Operations. He was Vice President of Basketball Operations in Houston, but was a hopeful GM and served more in a capacity of Assistant GM.

aaronb
05-03-2011, 03:19 PM
I'd be very surprised if they brought in an Assistant GM to make the jump to President of Basketball Operations. That's like me going from Senior Accountant to CFO.

Front offices are so jumbled it's really hard to tell where one guy ends and another guy begins?

I just think that if Bird was getting retained then why doesn't he have a contract? Why was it Jim Morris instead of Bird who reached out to Lindsey? Why was it done in a clandestine fashion? Why did Lindsey say he wouldn't talk about the job while BOTH BIRD AND MORWAY were under contract?

Doesn't sound like the search for the next guy to report to Larry?

CableKC
05-03-2011, 03:31 PM
As someone else had mentioned.....to proverbially "kick the tires" to see what other options are out there. My impression of whether Bird would stay or go throughout the last season was more of a non-commital "We'll see at the end of the season" type of response. So, I don't see any problem with that. To me, the Simons looking at other options is just that...seeing what other options are available out there.

Hicks
05-03-2011, 03:31 PM

Morway is going to be replaced, I think.

aaronb
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Morway is going to be replaced, I think.

Absolutely probably going to happen. However if the guy is reporting to Bird, then why isn't Larry the one calling him?

Hicks
05-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Absolutely probably going to happen. However if the guy is reporting to Bird, then why isn't Larry the one calling him?

Because it's not 100% that Larry's coming back, either.

Roaming Gnome
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Front offices are so jumbled it's really hard to tell where one guy ends and another guy begins?

I just think that if Bird was getting retained then why doesn't he have a contract? Why was it Jim Morris instead of Bird who reached out to Lindsey? Why was it done in a clandestine fashion? Why did Lindsey say he wouldn't talk about the job while BOTH BIRD AND MORWAY were under contract?

Doesn't sound like the search for the next guy to report to Larry?

As much as I think a lot of your logic is "One trick pony" rhetoric... This line of thinking really does make me lean to the possibility that Simon & Bird may not come to an agreement. Simon may be trying to get his ducks in a row in the event that he doesn't have someone calling the shots.

Ok, I'll let you go back to misrepresenting facts to push your agenda!

aaronb
05-03-2011, 04:01 PM
As much as I think a lot of your logic is "One trick pony" rhetoric... This line of thinking really does make me lean to the possibility that Simon & Bird may not come to an agreement. Simon may be trying to get his ducks in a row in the event that he doesn't have someone calling the shots.

Ok, I'll let you go back to misrepresenting facts to push your agenda!

My only agenda is hoping the Pacers return to past glory.

Roaming Gnome
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
My only agenda is hoping the Pacers return to past glory.

...whatever! :unimpress

imbtyler
05-04-2011, 01:35 AM

Probably working on other incredibly necessary items relating to the franchise. It's their job, I would expect them to be, say, interviewing GMs and coaches and getting scouting ready for the draft and other responsibilities.

We're going to get pretty stir crazy waiting for events to occur. I'm looking forward to every aspect of offseason. We just have to be patient.