PDA

View Full Version : Should parents force their children to root for their teams?

pollardfreek
10-07-2004, 07:21 PM
This was the poll question on the Dan Patrick Show today. Just wondering what you guys think.

sweabs
10-07-2004, 07:26 PM
:laugh:
That is a great question...

But yes - when they are born you get them a min-Reggie jersey, a little Manning jersey, and a little Domi jersey.

LouisvilleLip
10-07-2004, 07:47 PM
Tough question. I guess if I ended up cheering for my parents teams then I would end up liking hockey and being a maple leafs fan along with a raptors fan.

Thank god I have a mind of my own and can choose my own teams :)

I dont think my parents ever tried to even push hockey on me because I left them know right away how crappy it was. I've pretty much converted my mom to a Pacers fan and a Miller fan but my Dad switches sides. In his heart he goes for the pacers but he usually goes for the opposite team or the raptors just to **** me off.

Ps Carey: Hockey Sucks :)

Kstat
10-07-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to get your kid to like your own sport/team.

But any parent that FORCES his kid to follow it is a scumbag, in my opinion. They're your kids, they aren't required to live your life too. Kids should be allowed to be their own person.

ChicagoJ
10-07-2004, 10:07 PM
I dunno.

I "chose" my Dad's teams (in particular the Pacers) so we'd have something to talk about and do together.

Living out of Indy, Jay's_Daughter@Section204 certainly recognizes the Bulls logo on billboards, the sides of buses, etc.

I'm not real thrilled with that development. :rolleyes:

Doug in CO
10-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Look at my avatar - what do you think my opinion is? Jack roots for the Pacers and the Colts - I let him pick the baseball team because I do not care. He picked the Yankees - I can't do it.

SoupIsGood
10-07-2004, 10:56 PM
I don't think Parents should force them to like the teams. The main reason I became a Pacers-Colts fan was because my Dad was always watching the games and rooting for them. It just seemed like the thing to do.

howboutanicebrew_er
10-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't force it on my kid, and my dad didn't force it on me--but, because he was watching it, I watched it, and came to like it because he did. He worked all day, so, night was when I got to hang with him, and hanging consisted of the couch and sports.

Stryder
10-07-2004, 11:46 PM
I'll try to get my kids (when that time comes) to like the University of Michigan, Detroit Red Wings, Indiana Pacers, and Colts, but he/she'll be able to pick who they want to follow.

TheSauceMaster
10-08-2004, 12:33 AM
No you should never force your kids to root for your favorite teams , or should you ever pressure you kids to play sports ..my sister does that and it burns me up.

Will Galen
10-08-2004, 05:10 AM
Look at my avatar - what do you think my opinion is? Jack roots for the Pacers and the Colts - I let him pick the baseball team because I do not care. He picked the Yankees - I can't do it.

Very smart Child! Those are the teams I root for.

Usually people become fans of their local teams because that's who gets the air time. My two sons are both Pacer fans because I took them to Pacer games when they were children. Neither is the sports fan I am though.

ABADays
10-08-2004, 06:53 AM
No - they shouldn't be forced. But then again, they don't have to eat either.

Doug in CO
10-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Jack will be a Pacer fan because the alternative (Knicks) is just too horriblee to think about. He is 7 and has already been to some big event games and has Al Harrington's headband on his wall (I have not broken the news to him yet - I know, wuss).

At the end of the day, sons usually either pick the team that their Dad roots for - or that team's rival.

able
10-08-2004, 09:18 AM
kids who support other teams should be sheckled, wipped and left without sunday allowances.
Their study fund should be used to buy a suite for the year in conseco, with thanks to the kid.

:D

efx
10-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Heeelll no. It's sport. It's just a simple form of entertainment. It'd be like forcing kids to listen to the same music you do.

Ragnar
10-08-2004, 12:00 PM
I dont think you should force them to.

That being said my son has a little mini Reggie jersey and a bunch of toy F-1 cars. I dont think that when they are young you can help but rub off on them some what.

That is uless my son tries to become an IRL fan then I will lock him in the basement.

MSA2CF
10-08-2004, 05:00 PM
:laugh:

RimBender
10-08-2004, 05:09 PM
NO!

I love a rivalry, and whats better than beating dad's favorite team?!

MagicRat
10-08-2004, 11:35 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/VOICE080.mp3

Hicks
10-08-2004, 11:40 PM

:laugh: I like that!

MSA2CF
10-09-2004, 12:11 AM

Cute. :cool:

Shade