PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Bigs

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Lets for just a minute pretend Larry is back for next season. He said we need a big more specifically a PF. Ive heard a lot of names thrown around some of which in my opinion cant play PF, but regardless I would love to discuss this topic. I've heard names like:

Glen Davis (FA)
Kris Humphries (FA)
Tyson Chandler (FA)
Carl Landry (FA)
Nene (FA PO)
Greg Oden (FA RES)

Anderson Varejao (4 yrs 35 mil)
Josh Smith (2 yrs 25 mil)
Louis Scola ( 4 yrs 40 mil)
Al Jefferson (2 yrs 29 mil)

Stanko Barac (UNSURE)

Taj Gibson (3 yrs 6 mil)
Brandon Bass (2 yrs 8 mil)
Paul Milsap (2 yrs 17 mil)
Jason Thompson (2 yrs 7 mil)

I just listed people I have heard mentioned on here and players I thought we had a chance at actually getting. Theres a few free agents, restricted and unrestricted. Some large contract players, and a few rookie contract players up there. So what are your thoughts. I think almost any player up there gets some consideration. Obviously some more than others (Humphries).

For me out of the free agent list I like Nene the best overall. Chandler is nice but he in my mind is center. Landry lacks too much in rebounds and size for my taste. Davis and Humphries are no better than what we have. Oden has to many ?s to sign.

On the high end contracts that we would have to acquire via trade Josh Smith is my favorite player, but AV would come at a much cheaper price IMO. I know Scola is a popular choice, but Im just not sold on him. Al Jefferson takes me right back to he more of a center.

Now the lower scale or rookie contract players the obvious front runner is Milsap. Gibson is nice, but I dont think Chicago wants to trade him to a division rival. Bass does not interest me one bit. He gets much more credit than he deserves. Thompson would be a decent pickup at a cheap price, but not much better than what we have now. different but not better.

Stanko though I dont think is an answer to anything, I do see him coming over this season. That may be one reason Bird wants to see how much he can spend.

So discuss...

kielbeze
04-30-2011, 12:56 PM
The PF spot just leaves me scratching my head because as you were saying so many options but also so many ? I like Nene also Hump I think IMO I won't even dwell on it this offseason and just remain excited to see what the FO delivers on. This will probably be the most exciting summer in years. I expect to be spending a lot of time in the office scouting lol. I know larry and the gang have taken alot of heat for not pulling the trigger but look where that has put us. We have not used any of our available cap. So IMO The trades that never happened were better off that way. I think that the PF spot is our Go big or go home this summer. If we get a big who can change our post on both ends I think it causes us to become twice the team we already are.
If we could make a blockbuster deal. We don't even have to worry about a wing because PG is the future and I like rushleavy for backup!

Derek2k3
04-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Thompson was huge for the Hawks against Orlando, I don't have the stats right now but it was crazy how much harder it was for Whorelando to score when Thompson was on the floor.

Scola seems almost worn down. I say pass.

Nene, I'm all about that. Hard worker, decent offensive game, reasonably quick.

Landry, I'm 50/50. Just don't see him as much of an improvement, especially since he seems to lean heavily towards offensive.

Glen Davis would be nice, maybe, but I can't get past the fact that its...Glen Davis. He did well when he started this past season, but he loves that jumper too much. Again, pass.

Taj Gibson, pass. No thank you.

Humphries, pass. Let someone else overpay him for 1 good year.

Josh Smith, don't think he fits in. Personally. He would help, but I really wonder "at what cost?"

Varejao, maybe. Is a good defender/rebounder. Would like to see how he recovers from the injury first. I feel like 8.5M per is a bit high.

Milsap is nice. I like that value.

Jefferson, not completely sold on.

Bass, I'm with you. No. Unless its crazy cheap...and it comes with a Dwight Howard. :)

Chandler, all depends on the price. I think Dallas is gonna overpay him like crazy.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Thompson in atlanta? Jason thompson plays for sactown

QuickRelease
04-30-2011, 01:13 PM
Landry, I'm 50/50. Just don't see him as much of an improvement, especially since he seems to lean heavily towards offensive.

Landry is consistent, which is an improvement. Doubt New Orleans would let him go anyway, considering the David West injury.

Anthem
04-30-2011, 02:33 PM
What type of contract is Nene likely to command?

I'd love to get Josh Smith or Scola, but unsure if we have the pieces.

If Stanko comes over, he'll come in as a rookie big man and a backup Center. Don't count on him fixing the PF spot.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 02:36 PM
Landry is consistent, which is an improvement. Doubt New Orleans would let him go anyway, considering the David West injury.

I ddont believe landry is restricted so NO doesn't really have a say, but regardless I'm not interested.

Justin Tyme
04-30-2011, 03:01 PM
People keep talking about Nene as a FA. HE'S NOT. Next season has a player option, and hasn't he already said he wants to stay in Denver, thus not enact his PO? Then he isn't available as a FA.

Here are some bigs as well

Speights
Jordan Hill
D. Arthur
Kaman
Splitter
Hayes(UFA)
Blatche
Pryzibilla(sp?)

imbtyler
04-30-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't want someone nicknamed "Big Baby" to play for the Pacers. I don't think we could get Taj Gibson. Scola, Varejao, Landry and Humphries do nothing for me, and unless they change their own games or attitudes, I don't see how they can contribute as well as others available.

By now, we should all know how I feel about Greg Oden. Bring him back to Indy. I'm willing to take the risk. Not necessarily for the Blazers' scare tactic of $40m/4yrs, but after the CBA gets sorted out and the offseason starts rolling, who knows what can happen. Imagine if Portland manages to get their hands on a center who has more promise (at least injury-free promise) than Oden. However, if they trade him, they're making an equally-high risk of losing a great player they had their hands on vs. the risk of having their own Sam Bowie-Jonathan Bender hybrid. It's impossible to know what's best; that's why it's called a risk.

Nene is a strong veteran with an incredible work ethic (bounced back from cancer!) and is akin to throwing down a jam the best given points. I'd love to bring him around to get some vet leadership, but he's obviously not a longterm solution. If his presence was enough to give the team some presence until Hansbrough develops properly or we picked up a great young PF (Perry Jones :pray:), he'd be great energy to add to the team.

Josh Smith would be a nice addition, but he's not the kind of player we really need for our style of play. He's one of my favorite players, and his around-the-rim play is strong and reliable; dunking, rebounding, and blocking. But I think he might be one of the few players in the league that is too smashmouth for the Pacers. However, he is rather clutch, and would be incredibly valuable on the offensive rebound when Granger misses the shot.

I don't see what anyone else sees in Stanko that we couldn't pick up in this draft or the next. I don't think we need to put our "starting PF" need into the hands of a player who I don't believe could be better than Josh or Tyler, now or ever, just because we have rights to him. With the money we have, I say we go after any of these players before Stanko.

Altogether, I'd say Nene would be the best option, since he fills both starting and veteran requirements. It'd be best if Hansbrough stepped up while Nene was here, or if we could secure the selection of Perry Jones (or someone like him), since I can't imagine Nene will here very long. He seemed rather interested in staying in Denver, one way or another.

Kraft
04-30-2011, 03:19 PM
People keep talking about Nene as a FA. HE'S NOT. Next season has a player option, and hasn't he already said he wants to stay in Denver, thus not enact his PO? Then he isn't available as a FA.

Wanting a bigger, longer contract often trumps wanting to stay anywhere. Especially for a chance at what could be his last major payday.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:23 PM
People keep talking about Nene as a FA. HE'S NOT. Next season has a player option
He has a player option for the 2011/2012 season which he has to decide this summer before free agency hits. Many believe he will opt out for a longer contract. Im not sure where your getting the idea its not till next summer.

Espn and hoopshype both show him a player option free agent this summer:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Nene is a strong veteran with an incredible work ethic (bounced back from cancer!) and is akin to throwing down a jam the best given points. I'd love to bring him around to get some vet leadership, but he's obviously not a longterm solution. If his presence was enough to give the team some presence until Hansbrough develops properly or we picked up a great young PF (Perry Jones :pray:), he'd be great energy to add to the team.

I dont know if your referring to his age here or his ability, but interestingly enough he's only 3 years older than Hansbrough and 1 year older than Danny. I dont see any doubt in his ability for him to be a long-term (5years)
solution.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Speights
Jordan Hill
D. Arthur
Kaman
Splitter
Hayes(UFA)
Blatche
Pryzibilla(sp?)
No one on that list is any better than what we have now. Speights is good but the 76ers know that and aren't going to let him go. Jordan Hill has potential, and we need proven established skill. Pryz might retire and should, Hayes is a severely undersized over achiever that does nothing for us. Aurthur will never been much of anything IMO. Kaman is a recently injured center. Splitter is ok, but Spurs have no reason to move him for what we have to offer.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Im not sure but it would have to be enough to walk away from 11.6 million he has coming to him if he doesnt exercise his player option

imbtyler
04-30-2011, 03:40 PM
I dont know if your referring to his age here or his ability, but interestingly enough he's only 3 years older than Hansbrough and 1 year older than Danny. I dont see any doubt in his ability for him to be a long-term (5years)
solution.

I hadn't realized he was that "young", but I think we should keep in mind that if we don't give him some ridiculous contract, he'll be willing to go elsewhere once his contract is up again, all things considered. Like I said, I don't mind pursuing him, but finding a youngster to make up for his eventual absence is more a precaution than anything.

kielbeze
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Is Jackie moon availible? He could be an assistant coach too. 2 birds with one stone. And halftime entertainment think of the money we could save!

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:45 PM
I hadn't realized he was that "young", but I think we should keep in mind that if we don't give him some ridiculous contract, he'll be willing to go elsewhere once his contract is up again, all things considered. Like I said, I don't mind pursuing him, but finding a youngster to make up for his eventual absence is more a precaution than anything.
I half agree. Assuming we got him here to begin with. I have a feeling he will want to stay. Theres just something about Indiana where player who actually play here tend to get attached. Heck even look at brad miller, ron artest and i believe s jackson. they all have homes here. not too mention reggie and rik. we managed to keep danny so theres no reason why I would believe nene would leave. but i agree that you always have to have a steady stream of young talent running through the team. Thats a mistake cleveland made when lebron first came there. they kept pumping in older established vets for a short term fix and by the time they realized the lack of developed youth to run with LBJ it was too late.

HeliumFear
04-30-2011, 03:49 PM
We need a big who rebounds and defends the post. We're an average rebounding team and that just won't cut it. I'm for anyone who will help us on the boards.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Is Jackie moon availible? He could be an assistant coach too. 2 birds with one stone. And halftime entertainment think of the money we could save!
Now see isnt it much better to have a smart *** comment rather than a well thought out one. haha. hes back folks.:-p

In regards to jackie moon. Im pretty sure he dird of a broken heart when he found the pacers made the merger cut instead of the tropics. now hes in heaven with his black slightly overweight mother who sung like an angel.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 03:53 PM
We need a big who rebounds and defends the post. We're an average rebounding team and that just won't cut it. I'm for anyone who will help us on the boards.
Thats the only reason AV interested me at all. Im mean thats what he does. high energy player who crashes the boards and is foster like on defense. his contract stings a bit though, but i think he could be had on the cheap as far as a trade. i hated him as an opposing team much like noah, but you have to admit guys like foster, AV, noah do the dirty work and give you what you need when you need it.

wintermute
04-30-2011, 03:58 PM

I'd guess he'd be looking for the sort of 5 year $60m deals that Horford and Noah recently signed. Obviously changes in the CBA may preclude this.

I think the idea there is that Nene opts out to sign a longer deal with Denver. Could happen. He's had a very good year after all, might as well take advantage.

Anthem
04-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Nene . . . is akin to throwing down a jam the best given points.
I think you mean "apt."

EDIT: And I can't understand how Josh Smith could be "too smashmouth for the Pacers." He sounds like exactly what we need.

kielbeze
04-30-2011, 04:05 PM
We Could always resign Solomon Jones

Derek2k3
04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
I'd guess he'd be looking for the sort of 5 year $60m deals that Horford and Noah recently signed. Obviously changes in the CBA may preclude this..

Yep. I think someone already noted, he has like an $11.6M PO...so, to leave that on the table he'd probably want a 5/$60M or a 3/$40M.

I'd love to get him though.

Oh, and I'm an idiot, I was thinking Jason Collins, not Thompson. Derpa derpa.

kielbeze
04-30-2011, 04:08 PM
On a serious note I do wish we could find a young big with some potential who could learn some tricks of the trade from the feisty one.

Justin Tyme
04-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Wanting a bigger, longer contract often trumps wanting to stay anywhere. Especially for a chance at what could be his last major payday.

With the new CBA coming up, there is no guarantee. He's smarter to pick up his PO and wait until next year to see how things look. If he picks up his PO, he can always ask to be traded, and then Denver can get something for him in return.

I just don't see him as a viable FA option as everyone else does. I'm inclined to bet a doz donuts he doesn't pickup his PO. My feeling is he likes this new Denver team and will to stay his PO year with Denver.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 04:16 PM
With the new CBA coming up, there is no guarantee. He's smarter to pick up his PO and wait until next year to see how things look. If he picks up his PO, he can always ask to be traded, and then Denver can get something for him in return.

I just don't see him as a viable FA option as everyone else does. I'm inclined to bet a doz donuts he doesn't pickup his PO. My feeling is he likes this new Denver team and will to stay his PO year with Denver.
Thats very possible. if i were him though i would be a bit cautious of his history with injuries and sign a long-term deal before heading into the last year of his contract and chance getting hurt. players now a days tend to be more apt towards secure long term deals.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
On a serious note I do wish we could find a young big with some potential who could learn some tricks of the trade from the feisty one.
Though I love Jeff, I highly doubt hes ready for another 82+ game season. I would love nothing more than for him to be on the staff working with the players though.

PacerPride33
04-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Nene is the only worth giving a decent sized contract too. Even if he is over-payed, him and Roy would be a great presence down low. Landry is probably the next best guy we can get, but I really don't see much of an improvement between him and Hans. Rather keep the $

kielbeze
04-30-2011, 04:29 PM
Though I love Jeff, I highly doubt hes ready for another 82+ game season. I would love nothing more than for him to be on the staff working with the players though.
Remember Vogel needs a hard nosed assistant!

Justin Tyme
04-30-2011, 04:31 PM
He has a player option for the 2011/2012 season which he has to decide this summer before free agency hits. Many believe he will opt out for a longer contract. Im not sure where your getting the idea its not till next summer.

Espn and hoopshype both show him a player option free agent this summer:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/denver.htm

I am quite aware his PO year is 011-012 season. I have no idea where you feel I thought differently. AGAIN, he's not a FA until he opts out of his PO which he hasn't done. If and only if he picks up his PO to opt out, does he THEN become a FA. So until he opts outs he's NOT a FA, but STILL under contract for 011-012 season with Denver.

D-BONE
04-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes we need a starting-level player, but if we add multiple guys or get stuck only targeting rotational depth bigs, Chuck Hayes would be a very nice addition.

Of the higher-line folks I like Nene, Varejao, and Milsap. Although, the height thing on Milsap is an issue if he's acquired as a starter. Still, the guy is nails...as is Hayes, who is also a great passer and positional defender/steals guy.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Yes we need a starting-level player, but if we add multiple guys or get stuck only targeting rotational depth bigs, Chuck Hayes would be a very nice addition.

Of the higher-line folks I like Nene, Varejao, and Milsap. Although, the height thing on Milsap is an issue if he's acquired as a starter. Still, the guy is nails...as is Hayes, who is also a great passer and positional defender/steals guy.
I would say my top 2 would be Nene and AV. the more I think about Av the more I like. I was looking at nene and AV stats, and nene is clearly the better offensive player averaging 4 more points than AV but AV is averaging 2 more reb a game. blocks are close to the same. If cleveland wants posey exp and a pick I would feel thats fair for AV. 8 mil a year isnt horrible for the numbers he puts up.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 04:42 PM
I am quite aware his PO year is 011-012 season. I have no idea where you feel I thought differently. AGAIN, he's not a FA until he opts out of his PO which he hasn't done. If and only if he picks up his PO to opt out, does he THEN become a FA. So until he opts outs he's NOT a FA, but STILL under contract for 011-012 season with Denver.
Thats why I put (FA PO) beside his name.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Remember Vogel needs a hard nosed assistant!
i know your joking, but i could never see jeff as a coach. part of the staff working with players yes, but never a coach

KingGeorge
04-30-2011, 04:49 PM
I think I found the guy to replace Jeff.

http://www.gerweck.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/undertaker.jpg

ballism
04-30-2011, 05:01 PM
There have also been reports about Erazem Lorbek wanting to make the jump. We still have the rights, correct?
He's a considerably better player than Stanko right now, imo, but I'm not sure where he fits in with us. He's taller than Hansbrough, can shoot jumpers, but he's not very quick, not a great defender, and he does not have Hansbrough craziness. So, he might be redundant for us.

Myself, I was for Z-Bo or D-West for a while, but now that those options are gone... I'd prefer Varejao. I still think we need a major talent upgrade - or huge improvement from Hibbert and PG - but Varejao is at least a great fit.

Justin Tyme
04-30-2011, 05:15 PM
No one on that list is any better than what we have now. Speights is good but the 76ers know that and aren't going to let him go. Jordan Hill has potential, and we need proven established skill. Pryz might retire and should, Hayes is a severely undersized over achiever that does nothing for us. Aurthur will never been much of anything IMO. Kaman is a recently injured center. Splitter is ok, but Spurs have no reason to move him for what we have to offer.

We all have opinions, and I just don't agree with all of yours.

Oh btw, it was stated on Hoopshype in the last few days that Philly was considering letting Speights go. That brought a smile to me, since I wanted to draft him in the 08 draft. He has great size and can play both 4 & 5.

I'm not overly excited about Hayes as he is undersized, but he's a competitor that can play "D" and REBS. He could be Foster's replacement.

Kaman, yes he was injured AND came back to be the starting 5 to finish the season. I'm not concerned about the injury, anymore than I was concerned about Maggette, Livingston, or Tony Allen's injury. Greg Oden injury is another story. One I want nothing to do with.

Splitter is another player who wasn't utilized much in SA that plays "D" and can play the 4 & 5. Maybe the #15 pick, Stephenson, and cap/filler could get him. They need youth to rebuild.

We'll have to disagree about Arthur. I feel he has a good future in the NBA. He started his rookie year, got injured his 2nd year, and then Memphis got Zbo.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
I would be happy to eat crow, but I highly doubt philly just let's speights go. He's played very well for them. He'll never be a star but he will be a good rotation player.

CableKC
04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Davis and Humphries are no better than what we have. Oden has to many ?s to sign.
You are aware that Kris Humphries was the 7th best rebounder for the entire season and the 3rd Best rebounder after the ASB?

He's way better at rebounding...something that we will sorely miss unless Foster is re-signed and can play 20-24mpg next season. I can see us re-signing Foster...but I can't see him playing the necessary # of minutes that we need him to play in order to make a real impact in the Playoffs.

I would easily offer Humphries a $7 mil a year / 3 year Contract to fill Foster's role so that he can do what he did in NJ....focus on rebounding and defense so that the better Offensive minded Player can focus on scoring.

Ozwalt72
04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
I think as a team we have the most room to improve in our big rotation. Humphries would be cool if we dont have to overpay. Same with Hayes. Landry too but he is a bit of redundancy (though better than hansbrough)

ballism
04-30-2011, 08:53 PM
I'd love Humphries if this year wasn't the definition of a career year performance -- coming out of nowhere / spectacular jump from everything he's done in 6 (!!) previous years.

I'd love to have anyone who can average 10-10 in 27 minutes while also being so aggressive on D. His strength, toughness was fun to watch this year. One of the few guys in the league who managed to totally destroy and bum out Blake Griffin.
Then again, this is the definition of a career year. Where was he before? Still, I'd probably take a 20 mil / 3 years risk. Nets would too, probably.

LA_Confidential
04-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Some may disagree but I would be all over a trade for Andray Blatche if he's made available. Dude has the talent, skills and potential to become the best player on our roster.

Some may call him a headcase, I just think he needs a change of scenery. Hell, he got shot up and robbed as a rookie, Id live it up too. When I look at him I see prime Jermaine O'neal written all over him. His contract isnt grotesque either.

ballism
04-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Blatche does have that kind of talent, but man does he drive me crazy when I watch them. Besides, Wizards wouldn't just give him away. I wouldn't want to give anything of value for him. He'd be more likely to hurt us than to help us in the close future. I'd say within the next 3 years, there's a bigger chance of Oden getting healthy than Blatche starting to work hard / playing the right way. Maybe there will be a Z-Bo type of change later in his life, but there aren't any signs now - it's getting worse if anything.

LA_Confidential
04-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Blatche does have that kind of talent, but man does he drive me crazy when I watch them. Besides, Wizards wouldn't just give him away. I wouldn't want to give anything of value for him. He'd be more likely to hurt us than to help us in the close future. I'd say within the next 3 years, there's a bigger chance of Oden getting healthy than Blatche starting to work hard / playing the right way. Maybe there will be a Z-Bo type of change later in his life, but there aren't any signs now - it's getting worse if anything.

I agree with not giving away too much value to get him but if you could get him with a "reasonable" trade package I believe you do it. The Wiz have been a terrible franchise for the longest time. There is no leadership in that entire organization. I know, I live here. Antwan Jamison was the last "leader" they had. Nothing against Jamison but he was thrust into the position by default.

History also shows that when the Wizard/Bullets let go of a talented big, their careers blossom after they leave. ie Webber, Rasheed and Ben Wallace.

IndyPacer
04-30-2011, 09:32 PM
We Could always resign Solomon Jones

I'd rather have Stanko than keep Solo.

Shade
04-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Dwight Howard.

P.S. Big Baby is awful.

Pingu
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
If both Stanko and Lorbek were to come over, I'm not sure Danny would be able to put up with the smell in the locker room.

Jose Slaughter
05-01-2011, 01:28 AM
When looking at who might be available I think we need to focus on what teams might be looking at making a salary dump. A lot will depend on the new CBA but team payrolls for 11-12 will be a major key as to what teams might do.

We most likley will be able to take on salary without sending much back.

With all that said, I'll mention a new name for this thread, one that I have mentioned before: Robin Lopez.

He's young strong rebounder & shot blocker who seems to have fallen from the rotation with the Suns.

LetsTalkPacers
05-01-2011, 01:48 AM
Never really thought about lopez. Don't know much about him. Could be interesting. What is his contract like?

ballism
05-01-2011, 04:11 AM
With all that said, I'll mention a new name for this thread, one that I have mentioned before: Robin Lopez.

He's young strong rebounder & shot blocker who seems to have fallen from the rotation with the Suns.

There's a reason why his minutes fell. And it's not just because Gortat is a pretty good center.
Lopez doesn't play with the same athleticism anymore. He looks slow. He doesn't rebound. He can't block shots. He was an energy guy, but now he has no energy. He forgets defensive rotations. He plays all big men as if they were jump shooters - he challenges the jump shot, but allows the drive. If Dwight Howard could play all 82 games against Robin Lopez, he would be the unanimous MVP.

Is there some injury? Maybe, although the Suns said there's none. It's possible he's got mental problems, or maybe he's simply bored of basketball. After all, he (and his twin brother Brook) is a very smart dude outside of basketball, much above NBA's average. If money was the same, he would probably be a doing his PhD research right now.
The weird thing is that the exact same thing is happening to Brook in New Jersey -- but Brook can at least shoot.

Justin Tyme
05-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Some may disagree but I would be all over a trade for Andray Blatche if he's made available. Dude has the talent, skills and potential to become the best player on our roster.

Some may call him a headcase, I just think he needs a change of scenery. Hell, he got shot up and robbed as a rookie, Id live it up too. When I look at him I see prime Jermaine O'neal written all over him. His contract isnt grotesque either.

I've always wanted Blatche. It goes back to when he was a RFA. Unfortunately, the Pacers still had Harrison at the time. Blatche's game has just blossomed the last year or 2. He has SIZE, athleticism, and can play both 4 & 5. He might not be the best match for Hibbert at PF, but he's better than any PF the Pacers currently have.

My choice would be Varejao, b/c he can reb and plays great "D" with energy. He would be a great match for Hibbert at PF. PLUS he can play the 5 as well. With Hans the 1st big off the bench, the Pacers would have a solid big rotation.

Derek2k3
05-01-2011, 10:42 AM
There's a reason why his minutes fell. And it's not just because Gortat is a pretty good center.

I agree, it isn't just that Gortat is a pretty good center. But, a lot of it is due to Gortat being way better than most people realize.

Lopez seems a little clumsy to me...but I'll always remember how freaked out the Lakers were when he got healthy for that series. He really challenged them inside, makes me wonder if he still has that in him.

vnzla81
05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
Lopez doesn't play with the same athleticism anymore. He looks slow. He doesn't rebound. He can't block shots. He was an energy guy, but now he has no energy. He forgets defensive rotations. He plays all big men as if they were jump shooters - he challenges the jump shot, but allows the drive. If Dwight Howard could play all 82 games against Robin Lopez, he would be the unanimous MVP.

Is there some injury? Maybe, although the Suns said there's none. It's possible he's got mental problems, or maybe he's simply bored of basketball. After all, he (and his twin brother Brook) is a very smart dude outside of basketball, much above NBA's average. If money was the same, he would probably be a doing his PhD research right now.
The weird thing is that the exact same thing is happening to Brook in New Jersey -- but Brook can at least shoot.

Now you are talking crazy, Robin Lopez is a really good center, the problem is that him and Gortac can't play together reason why his minutes when down, he was also hurt, I think his back was bothering him all year and also let's not forget that he is a 3rd year center and is still learning how to play just like Roy.

I would really like for the Pacers to try to get him but I doubt that Phoenix would do it.

Jose Slaughter
05-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Theres a couple points I'd like to mention about Lopez.

First, I think that some of isuue with his minutes might be related to a nagging back problem. He was out of the lineup for a time but seemed to be healthy when he returned.

Second is the Suns are in transition following the departure of Amare. I'm not sure they have nearly the defined plan for their future as do the Pacers. Frye appears to be better suited for what they are running now.

Finally, I think Lopez would fit in well with the core that the Pacers currently have in place in addition to the system that Vogel is running.

His contract is around 2.8 for next season with a qualifying offer of just a hair over 4.0 for the following season.

LetsTalkPacers
05-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Im a little surprised at how many people are on board for AV (including myself). What do you think it would take to get him?

ballism
05-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Im a little surprised at how many people are on board for AV (including myself). What do you think it would take to get him?

I'm very pessimistic there, tbh. I'd love to have him here, but I don't think we will. He's their best player. Cavs are very patient now, as evidenced by the Baron Davis trade. They will wait for Varejao to heal up and sell high. Clearly, they want youth, as for which positions - we'd have to wait till after the draft. If they win it and get Irving, they'd really need a young center and wings. Hibbert or PG? Maybe DC? Maybe a combination? It wouldn't be cheap.

ballism
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I would really like for the Pacers to try to get him but I doubt that Phoenix would do it.

To me, it wouldn't be surprising at all if he's available, considering the frustration with Lopez in Phoenix.
http://arizonasports.com/category/suns-articles/20110407/Robin-Lopez%27s-fate-uncertain-according-to-Alvin-Gentry/

But what do you guys want him for? Solo's spot? Sure then.
An answer to our rebounding and shot blocking needs? Unlikely to happen.

Even Dudley (on Simmons podcast during the playoffs last year) said that Lopez is a lot about motivation - his big 'jump' last year came after Shaq basically humiliated him in practice and locker room, and set some fire under his butt. It seems that effect is gone now, and he's satissfied with who he is again. I don't love mentally soft centers, one Hibbert is enough.

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 01:52 PM
It actually seems as if Lopez is a guy we could potentially target this summer as a 10-12 guy and who can potentially become our next Foster. Do you think it is a possibility that we could snag him for a second round pick? Very low risk/high reward

ballism
05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
It actually seems as if Lopez is a guy we could potentially target this summer as a 10-12 guy and who can potentially become our next Foster. Do you think it is a possibility that we could snag him for a second round pick? Very low risk/high reward

Imo, that would be lame for Phoenix value wise. You are basically giving away a 1st round pick to save a little bit of cash. I don't love Robin Lopez, I think you are bummed out if you drafted him at no. 15 in 2008 (over Hibbert, Ibaka, Deandre Jordan, Batum, George Hill, McGee, Hickson, Omer Asik, and so on). But still, he's worth more than a future 2nd round pick.

That said, Robert Sarver has done much worse basketball decisions for a bit of cash. So, who knows.

itzryan07
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
since Z-bo is no longer available. Next best is Nene, this is the type of finisher we need.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ubfVGFOpIoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Imo, that would be lame for Phoenix value wise. You are basically giving away a 1st round pick to save a little bit of cash. I don't love Robin Lopez, I think you are bummed out if you drafted him at no. 15 in 2008 (over Hibbert, Ibaka, Deandre Jordan, Batum, George Hill, McGee, Hickson, Omer Asik, and so on). But still, he's worth more than a future 2nd round pick.

That said, Robert Sarver has done much worse basketball decisions for a bit of cash. So, who knows.

Ehh, I'm not sure. He's the 10-12th guy on that team and the coach apparently doesn't like him.

I mean, we have a similar guy who isn't working out in Brandon Rush, and I'd trade him for a second round pick simply because I wouldn't pick up his option next season.

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 02:32 PM
since Z-bo is no longer available. Next best is Nene, this is the type of finisher we need.
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ubfVGFOpIoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This dude is a freaking monster. If he can play the 4 with Roy than we better go after him.

itzryan07
05-01-2011, 02:39 PM
This dude is a freaking monster. If he can play the 4 with Roy than we better go after him.

i think he has been playing out of position for a couple years. I remember him playing the 4, when the nuggets still had Marcus Camby.

PacersRule
05-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Of all the players mentioned in this thread, I like Nene and Josh Smith the most. However, I've yet to see anyone mention this guy...Tyrus Thomas? Assuming we're not able to get Nene or Smith, what do you guys think of Thomas? I remember he was on the rise when he was in Chicago, but I've barely seen him play after he went to the Bobcats. I've also noticed he missed tons of games in recent years don't know what happened. Anyway, just throwing a name out there.

itzryan07
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Of all the players mentioned in this thread, I like Nene and Josh Smith the most. However, I've yet to see anyone mention this guy...Tyrus Thomas? Assuming we're not able to get Nene or Smith, what do you guys think of Thomas? I remember he was on the rise when he was in Chicago, but I've barely seen him play after he went to the Bobcats. I've also noticed he missed tons of games in recent years don't know what happened. Anyway, just throwing a name out there.

he has a lot of potential. But he is not a smart player. He was a headache in Chicago.

ballism
05-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Ehh, I'm not sure. He's the 10-12th guy on that team and the coach apparently doesn't like him.

I mean, we have a similar guy who isn't working out in Brandon Rush, and I'd trade him for a second round pick simply because I wouldn't pick up his option next season.

Well we both agree on his basketball value for the Suns. He's basically a mediocre backup with some promise and big question marks about his passion.

But still, he's 7 ft, he's only 23, he had one promising year, and there's no question marks when it comes to off court. Those are all big advantages over Rush.
Those guys have value. Even a total 7 ft dud like Mozgov (older than Lopez btw) had value in the Denver trade.

BringJackBack
05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Well we both agree on his basketball value for the Suns. He's basically a mediocre backup with some promise and big question marks about his passion.

But still, he's 7 ft, he's only 23, he had one promising year, and there's no question marks when it comes to off court. Those are all big advantages over Rush.
Those guys have value. Even a total 7 ft dud like Mozgov (older than Lopez btw) had value in the Denver trade.

Yeah, you've convinced me that he has better value.. Mozgov was the holdup in the Denver deal and he's not all that at all. And Fost had first rounder value years ago.

What kind of value do you think he has?

ballism
05-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, you've convinced me that he has better value.. Mozgov was the holdup in the Denver deal and he's not all that at all. And Fost had first rounder value years ago.

What kind of value do you think he has?

My guess is a restricted 1st pick. Hard to say what's in Suns future plans. He could be a nice throw-in in any Nash deal. Or if the Suns still try to win with Nash, they could use Lopez like Kings used Hawes to get another above-average veteran starter (Sam Dalembert). Yi Jianlian was also used like that - to get Richard Jefferson when New Jersey blew it up.

But that's a lot of guessing, who knows. I think they'll probably keep him untill they can use him in some bigger trade as a sweetener. And maybe he gets back on track in the meantime.

PacerPride33
05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
get Nene!! he is a beast and would be a perfect 4 for this team. give him a 4 yr 50 mil deal and get Mayo and call it a summer!

LA_Confidential
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Oh My.

KingGeorge
05-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Nene would be perfect for this team. This would give us the dominant big man we need, and would make Collison's job easier.

The Nuggets have a good team and will try their hardest to not let him go. However, he is the type of guy we should be willing to spend money on.

LetsTalkPacers
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I agree nene would be a great fit and pickup for the pacers, but it will be a task getting him here. heres to hoping

MyFavMartin
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Blatche is always out of shape and plays no defense. PASS!

Would you take Brandt for 76ers first rounder?

The Future
05-02-2011, 01:04 PM
We need Nene please!!!!

Someone make a website to bring Nene in here! :)

xIndyFan
05-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Blatche is always out of shape and plays no defense. PASS!

Would you take Brandt for 76ers first rounder?

jmo, but i would not. brand does not have any hops because of all the knee surgeries. plus he has a contract for $17M and $18M the next couple of years. that seems a lot of money to get a guy that doesn't really fit. plus who will the pacers get at #16 that is going to make the rotation.

pacers would be better off throwing that kind of money at someone who was a really good player instead of someone who used to be a good player.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 01:12 PM

In 2007, the Suns had traded Kurt Thomas and two 1st round Draft picks to the Artist formerly known as the Sonics in order to clear salary to sign Grant Hill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588

So this is not unprecedented when it comes to the Suns and why I LOVE that we are in the position that we are now SalaryCapwise going into an unknown CBA Re-negotiating Offseason.

naptownmenace
05-02-2011, 01:17 PM

I agree 100% and the comparison to Z-Bo is spot on too!

Blatche just plays like one of those guys that is out to get his points and he doesn't really care about playing defense on the other end. I used to say the same thing about Z-Bo though and I've been shocked to see the great defense he's now playing with Memphis.

Blatche is still under contract for the next 5 seasons. I doubt the Pacers want to be locked into a deal that long after just getting out from under a bunch of regrettable contracts.

I really think the Pacers need help at the center spot as much as they need help at PF. That's why I really hope they bring over Stanko Barac. I haven't seen him play much but he looked really solid during the 2008 Olympics and NBA preseason games last year. He was the best big man on the floor when he played against the Spurs even taking it to and scoring through Duncan several times.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 01:17 PM
At the very least, I'd hope that we'd make a very solid run for Nene no matter how little of a chance that we have to sign him ( given the Nuggets' preference to re-sign him ). I'd easily make an offer of $12-13 mil per year / 5 year contract for him. He's turning 28 years old...while entering the prime of his career.

When's the deadline for Players to sign an Extension under the current CBA rules?

I'm assuming that any Player can sign an extension with their current Team up until the current CBA contract expires?

LetsTalkPacers
05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
agreed. i hope we take the Portland/OKC route rather then the Detroit/Milwaukee route. in terms of how we spend our cap space.

Gamble1
05-02-2011, 01:25 PM
At the very least, I'd hope that we'd make a very solid run for Nene no matter how little of a chance that we have to sign him ( given the Nuggets' preference to re-sign him ). I'd easily make an offer of $12-13 mil per year / 5 year contract for him. He's turning 28 years old...while entering the prime of his career.

When's the deadline for Players to sign an Extension under the current CBA rules?

I'm assuming that any Player can sign an extension with their current Team up until the current CBA contract expires?
IMO that won't be enough money to pull him away. I think it has to be around 15 million to sign him or the Nuggets match. Although I wonder if they would do a sign and trade for him if we traded a pick as well.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 01:31 PM
IMO that won't be enough money to pull him away. I think it has to be around 15 million to sign him or the Nuggets match. Although I wonder if they would do a sign and trade for him if we traded a pick as well.
And that's fine....what I want is for the FO at least to try. Also..one thing to consider. My guess is that we can't actually make any formal run at Nene before the new CBA Agreement is in place. If that is the case.....the guaranteed Salaries for Players may go down a little....so we may have to pay a premium...but it may not be has high under the new CBA rules compared to the old ones :shrug:.

ballism
05-02-2011, 01:46 PM
In 2007, the Suns had traded Kurt Thomas and two 1st round Draft picks to the Artist formerly known as the Sonics in order to clear salary to sign Grant Hill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588

So this is not unprecedented when it comes to the Suns and why I LOVE that we are in the position that we are now SalaryCapwise going into an unknown CBA Re-negotiating Offseason.

Well you basically repeated my post, that's exactly what I meant by "Robert Sarver has done much worse basketball decisions for a bit of cash".

My point was, I'm very sceptical when fans rely on other teams' stupidity and ask for lopsided deals. Even though there are stupid basketball deals made almost every year, you can't count on it - that's not planning, that's hoping for a miracle.

Grizzlies gave away Pau Gasol for a fat, slow, old-ish prospect in Europe with a nickname "Big Burrito" (Marc Gasol before he joined the NBA and lost 150 pounds or so) + Kwame Brown + some change. Could we now get Marc Gasol from them for similar package? Say, Stanko, McRoberts and change? I'd guess not.
It's not very wise to over-rely on the past stupidity of other teams.

Justin Tyme
05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=naptownmenace;1228886]

Blatche is still under contract for the next 5 seasons. I doubt the Pacers want to be locked into a deal that long after just getting out from under a bunch of regrettable contracts./QUOTE]

Blatche's contract is for 4 more years, not 5, at around 30 mil with averages out at 7.5 mil a year. I admit I didn't realize he was in his 3rd contract with 4 years to go, but still 7.5 mil a year is reasonable for his production. I don't feel that is too much of a contract to take on, but I doubt Blatche is on Bird's radar as a BIG.

Justin Tyme
05-02-2011, 02:19 PM
My guess is that we can't actually make any formal run at Nene before the new CBA Agreement is in place. If that is the case.....the guaranteed Salaries for Players may go down a little....so we may have to pay a premium...but it may not be has high under the new CBA rules compared to the old ones :shrug:.

Why? He is under contract until he makes a decision to either opt out or play his last year with Denver. His contract hasn't run out like Foster, Dun, etc who can't do anything until July, depending on whether a new CBA has been signed. If he decides to not opt out, he should be able to be traded b4 the CBA runs out. A draft time trade could be done. I'd love to have Nene, but realistically I don't see Nene in a Pacers uni. He would be T-Bird's x-factor the Pacers could use. Sorry, call me a pestimist.

ballism
05-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Why? He is under contract until he makes a decision to either opt out or play his last year with Denver. His contract hasn't run out like Foster, Dun, etc who can't do anything until July, depending on whether a new CBA has been signed. If he decides to not opt out, he should be able to be traded b4 the CBA runs out. A draft time trade could be done. I'd love to have Nene, but realistically I don't see Nene in a Pacers uni. He would be T-Bird's x-factor the Pacers could use. Sorry, call me a pestimist.

To be more specific, it's an ETO (early termination option). Guys with ETO can't be traded before July 1. To do so, he and Denver would have to agree to amend that contract. Which essentially means that he has a no-trade clause and can't be traded unless he wants to.
Doesn't seem very realistic.
I still think the most likely outcome is that he agrees on extension with Denver before July 1.

naptownmenace
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Blatche is still under contract for the next 5 seasons. I doubt the Pacers want to be locked into a deal that long after just getting out from under a bunch of regrettable contracts.

Blatche's contract is for 4 more years, not 5, at around 30 mil with averages out at 7.5 mil a year. I admit I didn't realize he was in his 3rd contract with 4 years to go, but still 7.5 mil a year is reasonable for his production. I don't feel that is too much of a contract to take on, but I doubt Blatche is on Bird's radar as a BIG.

Good catch. I thought he got a 5 year extension but he got a 3 year extension added to his remaining (at the time) 2 seasons. So actually, after next season he will be paid 35 million in 3 seasons. He might be worth it but I'm not so sure. Also, what would the Pacers have to give up to get him? I'd pass unless you could get him for Brandon Rush and a couple of future 2nd round picks.

MyFavMartin
05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
jmo, but i would not. brand does not have any hops because of all the knee surgeries. plus he has a contract for $17M and $18M the next couple of years. that seems a lot of money to get a guy that doesn't really fit. plus who will the pacers get at #16 that is going to make the rotation.

pacers would be better off throwing that kind of money at someone who was a really good player instead of someone who used to be a good player.

Brand averaged 16 and 8 against the Heat in the playoffs and held his own against Bosh. He's still good when he's healthy.

As for #16: I like Jordan Williams of Maryland, Chris Singleton of FSU, Thompkins of Georgia and Thompson of Texas, Honeycutt of UCLA and Nolan Smith of Duke. Biyombo is mocked all over the draft and would definitely be interested in him, but I think he'll go in the lottery.

Justin Tyme
05-02-2011, 04:30 PM
To be more specific, it's an ETO (early termination option). Guys with ETO can't be traded before July 1. To do so, he and Denver would have to agree to amend that contract. Which essentially means that he has a no-trade clause and can't be traded unless he wants to.
I still think the most likely outcome is that he agrees on extension with Denver before July 1.

That's interesting info that I need to store in the ole memory box. That makes it pretty unrealistic that the Pacers have any chance to get him.

pacersgroningen
05-02-2011, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=naptownmenace;1228886]

Blatche is still under contract for the next 5 seasons. I doubt the Pacers want to be locked into a deal that long after just getting out from under a bunch of regrettable contracts./QUOTE]

I have been following Blatche a long time, since he was very often on my fantasy teams. The guy puts up stats when it doesn't matter anymore. He doesn't get you wins. He is not a winner, nor do I think he will ever be one. He has a lot of (physical) talent, but he'll never put it together for a winning team.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I have been following Blatche a long time, since he was very often on my fantasy teams. The guy puts up stats when it doesn't matter anymore. He doesn't get you wins. He is not a winner, nor do I think he will ever be one. He has a lot of (physical) talent, but he'll never put it together for a winning team. .
Because of this, Blatche's asking price will be too high. He's paid a really cheap salary between $6 mil to 8.5 mil per season over the next 4 seasons. Despite being a headcase, he did REALLY well after the Arenas trade. He put up huge Starter #s for that pricetag.

In Fantasy Sports, he'd be a great Player to have...but his asking price and the on/off court concerns is probably too much to pay.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 05:57 PM
That's my thought as well. But if he doesn't and decides to test the FA waters...I really hope that we make a serious run for him.

pacer4ever
05-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Because of this, Blatche's asking price will be too high. He's paid a really cheap salary between $6 mil to 8.5 mil per season over the next 4 seasons. Despite being a headcase, he did REALLY well after the Arenas trade. He put up huge Starter #s for that pricetag.

In Fantasy Sports, he'd be a great Player to have...but his asking price and the on/off court concerns is probably too much to pay.

if he is the 5th option not the 1st he doesnt look very good. He and Nick Young and Jordan Crawford are so inefficent. He doesnt do the little things that good role players do he tries to be a star. If he is your star bottom line you dont have a very good team.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 07:52 PM
I posted this in the thread about Morway...but thought that it would be more relevant here:

http://www.netscoutsbasketball.com/blog/archives/the-nba-in-europe-stanko-barac/

This post was written by Correspondent Rafael Uehara and edited by Carl Berman of NetScouts Basketball. Rafael is the managing figure of 'The Basketball Post'. Rafael, Carl and NetScouts Basketball can be followed on twitter @rafael__uehara, @carlberman and @netscouts. Thanks to the FIBA for the picture.

The NBA in Europe: Stanko Barac

Selected with 39th overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft by the Miami Heat, very few people know that the Indiana Pacers own the NBA rights of Croatian big-man Stanko Barac. The 7-foot-1 post presence is having a breakout season in Europe replacing the departed Tiago Splitter on Caja Laboral Baskonia. After being drafted, the now 24 year-old chose to sign a five-year contract with the team to remain in Europe in order to gain some experience and skills before, possibly playing in the NBA. If the Pacers are doing their scouting right, that call should happen soon.

Replacing Tiago Splitter, the best low post presence in Europe in the last few years, is not easy but after his first half-a-season nothing indicates Barac isn’t up for the challenge. Caja Laboral is the top-ranked offense in the ACB and in the EuroLeague. Barac is the second leading-scorer in their EuroLeague campaign, averaging 14.1 points-per-game, and the third leading-scorer in their ACB league at 12.6 points-per-game. He leads the team in rebounding in both competitions.

With a higher amount of touches, in an expanded role, Barac has managed to improve his player-efficiency-rating and maintain his shooting percentages. His field-goal-attempts-per-game increased from an average of 4.9 last year to an average of 9.2 this year. His PER improved from 23.45 in a combined 42 games of EuroLeague play and ACB play last year to 25.25 in 23 games this year. His effective field-goal percentage remains at the same 58.5% from last year and the same is true for his true-shooting percentage which remained at 62%.

Barac is a big-man with legit size for the NBA, good lower-body strength and shot-blocking ability to fight the athletes that attack the rim in North America. He has good shooting ability to hit long-twos in pick-and-pop sets and good passing skills of the post. The Pacers are finally taking a step forward after getting stuck in limbo for so long but the sense of urgency for visible improvement remains the same in Indiana. Roy Hibbert has progressed but the Pacers still lack other reliable bodies to crowd the paint. Barac could serve that purpose. The fact that he’s very close to reaching his ceiling shouldn’t scare Larry Bird but actually encourage him to take a chance on him right now.
I don't know when this was written, but my guess is that it is less then a year old.

ECKrueger
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM
I've always wondered if either of out Euro big men would ever even come over, let alone be worth any thing.

wintermute
05-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Since, we're all interested in Nene news, here's an article that says he's considering opting out:

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_17978868

Nene may opt out with Nuggets
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MDT

On the table in front of Nene are two choices: Take the last year of his contract, which would keep him with the Nuggets, or opt out of his contract, which could make him a former member of the Nuggets.

While no final decision has been made, Nene said Monday he is strongly considering opting out of the final season of his six-year, $60 million contract, which would pay him $12 million, and testing the free-agent market.

After nine seasons in the NBA, Nene has full control of his future and it could take hard work for the Nuggets to make him happy enough to return.

"I've been here for nine years," said Nene, 28. "If that doesn't work how you want it, you need to sit down and evaluate everything and see what you can do."

The overarching issues in this situation are his level of happiness with the Nuggets and, ultimately, his value on the open market.

Players similar to him — Utah's Al Jefferson, Chicago's Carlos Boozer and Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge — will make $11 million to $14 million next season. The NBA's new collective bargaining agreement will have the final say about what the market can offer Nene, but he stands to command big dollars.

Nuggets executives Masai Ujiri and Josh Kroenke have said they want Nene back, but will have to ask themselves how high they want to go.

But it's not all about the next contract for Nene. There is a large component of appreciation that Nene says is missing, and that's proving to be equally as important as the dollars.

"If I play happy, if I enjoy the game, my game improves," Nene said. "I did my best for the team, for the city. I tried to do my best for the fans. But the (Nuggets) need to understand you need to see the return on the other side, or you need to look for it. You need to look for it sometimes.

"They don't realize all of the sacrifices I made. When you don't feel appreciated, it's hard."

During his career in Denver, Nene has had to battle back from major injuries and ailments: a torn ACL in his right knee in the 2005-06 season opener, a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left thumb in November 2007 and a bout with testicular cancer in January 2008.

Nene made it through and has been a durable player the past three seasons, playing no fewer than 75 games.

This season, Nene set a career high in field-goal percentage (.615). The 6-foot-11 center from Brazil was near career highs in points (averaging 14.5), free-throw percentage (.711) and rebounds (averaging 7.6).

"I'm very professional. I do my best and I want the team to do their best too — look good, have the best players they can have, be smart," Nene said.

And he intends to continue operating in that fashion whether it's with the Nuggets or another team.

"Nine years you give your best to represent the Denver Nuggets name," Nene said. "There's not many players that take that seriously, that name. I did because I want to be here. I want to retire here. But God says you know your present, but your future is in his hands."

Chris Dempsey: 303-954-1279 or cdempsey@denverpost.com

After reading this, I'm starting to think that Nene returning to Denver isn't as near a lock as I've assumed previously. Negotiating ploy to get Denver to pay up?

vnzla81
05-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Pacers should offer him an starting salary of 12mil, maybe like 60mil/4years, him and Roy could do wonders for us, and if we could do a sign and trade and also ad Felton, then we are in business :cool:

ballism
05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Since, we're all interested in Nene news, here's an article that says he's considering opting out:

After reading this, I'm starting to think that Nene returning to Denver isn't as near a lock as I've assumed previously. Negotiating ploy to get Denver to pay up?

So much self-entitlement in those quotes. I don't know much about his personality, but he does sound like an elitist jerk here.

PacerGuy
05-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Pacers should offer him an starting salary of 12mil, maybe like 60mil/4years, him and Roy could do wonders for us, and if we could do a sign and trade and also ad Felton, then we are in business :cool:

I like him, as well a T.Chandler, but do they "replace" Roy as a starter?
Can either play WITH Roy?
IMO, earlier in both their careers the answer was "YES", but I'm not to sure either can now, not on a consistent basis at least. While both are better then Roy now, I am concerned about stunting Roy's development. I'm not saying not to go after either of these guys, but it is a concern I have.

Pacerized
05-03-2011, 10:01 AM
I think going after a big man should be the first thing we spend our cap space on this off season. I want a big who's more of a 4/5 then a small big man who's more of a 3/4.
Nene
Gasol
Kaman

Are 3 centers who could all start beside Roy with Tyler and Jeff coming in to finish our big man rotation. Nene would be my first choice because he's a little more versatile. However, Jeff can play the 4 as easily as the 5 so I don't have an issue with starting 2 true centers. We would dominate the paint and still be able to put a conventional 4/5 front court on the floor anytime we wanted to. I'd have no issue offering Nene 5 years starting at 12-14 mil. If the CBA tightens then we should still be able to offer a near max contract.

wintermute
05-03-2011, 10:28 AM

4 years $60m is pretty steep, but honestly I think that's the sort of money that it would take to get Nene. Reminds me of the huge contract Bulls offered Ben Wallace a few years back when they thought they were on the cusp (that was pre-Rose). Huge gamble here.

So much self-entitlement in those quotes. I don't know much about his personality, but he does sound like an elitist jerk here.

Hard to say without knowing more context. I suppose playing for years next to prima donna teammates like Melo and JR and even Iverson at one time could make one feel underappreciated.

Gamble1
05-03-2011, 10:38 AM
4 years $60m is pretty steep, but honestly I think that's the sort of money that it would take to get Nene. Reminds me of the huge contract Bulls offered Ben Wallace a few years back when they thought they were on the cusp (that was pre-Rose). Huge gamble here.
Not exactly the same. If I remember right Ben was much older (low 30's) when he got that contract. Nene is 28 but he has had some injury's in the past so the gamble tag is warranted.

Personally I think he would be a good fit but in my mind a cheaper route would be also on the table. This would defiantly hurt us from signing a guy like EJ in the future.

vnzla81
05-03-2011, 10:40 AM
By the way I would like to know what has Roy done to deserve the starting position? If I was the Pacers I would look at starting centers and no worry if the guy fits with him, it could be a plus if they fit together but if they don't, then Roy should be the back up.

Having a Center that doesn't go up and down should help the Pacers win close to 50 games next year.

Justin Tyme
05-03-2011, 10:47 AM

I read that earlier this morning and like you felt Nene isn't near the lock with Denver as I had previously thought. It will be quite interesting to see how this plays out.

ballism
05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
By the way I would like to know what has Roy done to deserve the starting position? If I was the Pacers I would look at starting centers and no worry if the guy fits with him, it could be a plus if they fit together but if they don't, then Roy should be the back up.

Having a Center that doesn't go up and down should help the Pacers win close to 50 games next year.

I agree, and if we can get a star then the last thing we need to think about is fit with Roy. Roy has looked very expendable so far.

That said, I wouldn't give Nene anything close to a max (and 4 / 60 would be close). He can be great when he wants to, but (a) his effort is way too inconsistent defensively. Sometimes he shuts people down, other times he coasts.
Second, if I'm paying anything near max, I want a full package star guy or someone with very considerable upside. Nene doesn't rebound much and doesn't block a lot of shots - a lot of it comes from inconsistent effort, again.
And finally, past injuries. Some of them are freak injuries, and he's been quite healthy last 3 years, but the share volume of injuries (and esp the knee) worries me. If we extend a 60 mil offer to someone, I'd hope Bird goes over him Presti-style and cancels the deal in case of a slightest of doubts, even if it's a bad toe.

ballism
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Hard to say without knowing more context. I suppose playing for years next to prima donna teammates like Melo and JR and even Iverson at one time could make one feel underappreciated.

I just hope that 'prima donna' thing was not contagious, because in that article he does sound a lot like Melo / JR / Kenyon Martin.