PDA

View Full Version : Oden Looks At Free Agency As 'His Move'

Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi
04-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Oden Looks At Free Agency As 'His Move'

Greg Oden will be a restricted free agent during this offseason and the Blazers are almost certain to extend the qualifying offer.

But there are also reports that the Blazers may make a four-year, $40 million offer.

"The way I look at it," he said, "is that it's not their move. It's my move. Everyone says it's their move. I think it's my move."

There is inherent risk in offering long-term money, but it could prove to be a below market contract if Oden remains healthy.

As one Eastern Conference executive put it on Friday, "If you know Oden is a 1-in-20 shot to come back and be a factor, you have to take it. Because not signing him, you have a 0-in-20 shot of being there if he does.

"Still, $40 mil makes you think."

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213422/Oden_Looks_At_Free_Agency_As_His_Move#ixzz1L0fXUwu B

Anthem
04-30-2011, 09:02 AM
He'd be crazy not to take that money.

mildlysane
04-30-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm confused. Is he talking about retiring? I don't see how he can refuse and still play if he is a restricted FA.

BlueNGold
04-30-2011, 09:37 AM
40M for 4 years. That's an amazingly high offer IMO. That eastern conference executive is wrong. 1 and 20 chance is not likely enough odds to invest 40M. I can see someone doing it though and I think Oden's odds are better than that. I would give him about a 20% chance of returning to the league and being a force for more than a season. The Pacers probably should roll the dice on this one. 10M/yr dead contract is not the end of the world for this franchise and just having Oden on the squad will probably bring more interest back to the team. The upside of course is if he pans out we hit the lottery big time.

Eleazar
04-30-2011, 09:39 AM
I don't get why anyone would be willing to pay him that much.

BlueNGold
04-30-2011, 09:45 AM
I don't get why anyone would be willing to pay him that much.

A small market franchise like the Pacers will not get a big-time free agent any other way. When you combine that with the fact we are unlikely to be cellar dwellers for at least a decade now you have to wonder if this is a risk worth taking. The underlying question is whether a small market team like the Pacers which will always lack talent compared to the Lakers, Celtics, etc. has to take this type of risk to contend. Maybe not but the alternative is probably 50 years of waiting. No kidding.

Edit: BTW, I am not convinced this is a worthy risk. Only that a risk might need to be taken to be able to contend in the league within, say, the George era.

owl
04-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Info put out to scare teams off?? I will believe that when I see it.

vnzla81
04-30-2011, 09:46 AM
10 mil for 4 years? No thank you.

pianoman
04-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I wouldn't sign Oden. As much as I like the guy, it would be a terrible idea to throw money at a guy that hasn't played a full season without an injury. If we DID sign Oden, the pacer fanbase would be pretty excited to see a hometown guy come back and play for the pacers. But if Oden gets hurt five games into the season, every single person that was excited to see him as a pacer, would be bashing bird&co for signing him.

Kegboy
04-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I believe what he's saying is, as an RFA, it's his job to go out and sell himself to other teams, inflate his worth. It's then up to Portland to match or make a counter offer. Same as any other RFA, the player has to make the first move, even though they have zero control of the outcome. And man, that is definitely high on my list of things that I hope they fix in the CBA. Making every single draft pick restricted is absolutely ridiculous, and something I very much hope they replace with some kind of tag system.

As for Oden, if this were last year, I could definitely see him getting that deal. But the economics will change, and hopefully Portland won't be able to use Allen's unlimited purse strings any more.

Lastly, wonder what the insurance would cost on a deal like that. Must be astronomical.

Major Cold
04-30-2011, 10:06 AM
If this was the NBA of 2001 I would not be surprised. But it is not that. And on the brink of a CBA change....this is a scare tactic.

I really want him to turn it around.

Shade
04-30-2011, 10:32 AM
This is the very definition of high-risk, high-reward.

dohman
04-30-2011, 10:44 AM
Trade Roy Tyler and rush for a Josh smith type and sign Oden and pray his porcelain body is over these nick nack injuries.

LetsTalkPacers
04-30-2011, 10:53 AM
^
no

IndyPacer
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
10 mil for 4 years? No thank you.

I'd go for $10 million TOTAL for 4 years, but he can forget $10 per year.

Derek2k3
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Lastly, wonder what the insurance would cost on a deal like that. Must be astronomical.

Un-insurable. The Knicks couldn't insure Amare, and he doesn't have the history of Oden.

Personally, I'd offer no more than $6M per, 2/3 year contract. Maybe put incentives in that if he stays healthy for over half the season it bumps up, and the whole season it goes to 9-10M. But, no way do you commit $10M per to a guy has had multiple injuries, not all the same thing. Remember, the guy was hurt most of his season at Ohio State too, with the thumb/hand/wrist or whatever. Then his knees, then his knee cap...sheesh.

vnzla81
04-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Trade Roy Tyler and rush for a Josh smith type and sign Oden and pray his porcelain body is over these nick nack injuries.

http://www.mdjunction.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/oh_hell_no_cat.jpg

Lou Bega
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Oden is not going to come to Indy for a discount just because he played highschool ball here.

Oden is not worth 4 year 40 million that is a bluff

He has played 82 games in 4 years

ksuttonjr76
04-30-2011, 12:00 PM
Pass? Oden wouldn't have even been a blip on my radar....

PaceBalls
04-30-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.mdjunction.com/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/images/oh_hell_no_cat.jpg

LOL... that poor kitteh.

I would hate to give up on Tyler and though I am ok with trading Roy if there is a great deal to be had, I would like to see what another summer of hard work can do for him.

That said, this is the time to really go for it and swing for the fences. Not saying that deal is the one to do, but a high risk high reward trade is what is going to take to compete against the Bulls and Heat in the future.

I think the Oden gamble is one to seriously think about. Yeah, he might just break a knee or something, but then again, if he is healthy, he is a franchise changer.

Richard_Skull
04-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Was Joe Johnson a RFA with Phoenix?

I don't know if I'd take the risk for 10 per.
7 per for 3 years maybe.

pacers74
04-30-2011, 01:13 PM
I know that has been brought up before, but Oden is looking more and more like an overpriced Bender to me. he is just not worth the risk. Let Portland take the risk not us. If we try to low ball him, then Portland will just match it anyway.
We need to try and get a more proven big. I want us to look to trade with Utah to get Milsap or Jefferson.

ksuttonjr76
04-30-2011, 01:17 PM
LOL... that poor kitteh.

I would hate to give up on Tyler and though I am ok with trading Roy if there is a great deal to be had, I would like to see what another summer of hard work can do for him.

That said, this is the time to really go for it and swing for the fences. Not saying that deal is the one to do, but a high risk high reward trade is what is going to take to compete against the Bulls and Heat in the future.

I think the Oden gamble is one to seriously think about. Yeah, he might just break a knee or something, but then again, if he is healthy, he is a franchise changer.

Is he good enough of franchise changer to win the championship within 1-2 years while playing only 20 games/year, because that's what I'm betting on how long he will stay healthy.

I don't why people are so eager to sign him, but get their panties all in a bunch over Murphy's contract...

Eleazar
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
I would be ok with a 2 or 3 year contract at a max of $3.5 million a year. Anything more and it is just as bad as re-signing Bender. He hasn't been able to stay healthy since high school.

PaceBalls
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Is he good enough of franchise changer to win the championship within 1-2 years while playing only 20 games/year, because that's what I'm betting on how long he will stay healthy.

I don't why people are so eager to sign him, but get their panties all in a bunch over Murphy's contract...

I think a healthy Oden is the biggest franchise changer the team has any chance of getting.

When Murphy was playing I didn't want him on the floor, because he made the team worse. When Oden is playing you really hope he can stay in the game, because he makes the team so much better. That is the difference.

Dece
04-30-2011, 01:31 PM
The most confusing part to all the Oden talk I've seen is... he hasn't even been that impressive in the exceedingly rare moments he was healthy. Franchise changer? Really? Has he even had 1 game in his career that indicated that?

PR07
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
As a small market team, Pacers don't have the luxury of "missing" with that kind of money. 4 years 28 million, maybe, but 40 million? No way, Jose.

TinManJoshua
04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
The most confusing part to all the Oden talk I've seen is... he hasn't even been that impressive in the exceedingly rare moments he was healthy. Franchise changer? Really? Has he even had 1 game in his career that indicated that?

Career per 36:

15 points
12 boards
6.5 fouls

ksuttonjr76
04-30-2011, 02:13 PM
I think a healthy Oden is the biggest franchise changer the team has any chance of getting.

When Murphy was playing I didn't want him on the floor, because he made the team worse. When Oden is playing you really hope he can stay in the game, because he makes the team so much better. That is the difference.

Wrong. The REAL difference is...

82 games played vs. 255 games played over the same period of time.

ksuttonjr76
04-30-2011, 02:17 PM
As a small market team, Pacers don't have the luxury of "missing" with that kind of money. 4 years 28 million, maybe, but 40 million? No way, Jose.

He's not even worth $7/MIL per year. That's $1.5/MIL less than TJ Ford....

ksuttonjr76
04-30-2011, 02:21 PM
Career per 36:

15 points
12 boards
6.5 fouls

He's only allowed 6 fouls.

Sollozzo
04-30-2011, 02:24 PM
4 years 40 million?! Has any player done less in 4 years only to be rewarded with that sort of contract? I know injuries aren't his fault, but still, I can't believe that.

Anthem
04-30-2011, 02:29 PM

This was my wonder as well. I've not watched a ton of Portland games where he played, but even in those I never thought "I'd love to pay 10mil to have that guy on my team right now." Seems like that money is still paying based on potential, which is risky for a guy who looks like he's 40.

gummy
04-30-2011, 02:39 PM
He's only allowed 6 fouls.

Uh, yeah. His per-36 numbers are what they are. I think we can all see that based on those numbers he would foul out in under 36 minutes!

$40 for 4 years? Big, huge NO.

Midcoasted
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
:puke:

So you'd basically be paying this guy 40 million a year? He plays one season every four years.

If anyone gives this guy this type of money then no wonder why the NBA is not as profitable. It inflates the small market contracts. To be honest, Oden isn't worth more than 2.5 million per year, and any more than that is overpaying, and I wouldn't gaurantee the guy more than one year at a time.

If he will take a one year 12 million dollar deal with us, then I'd roll the dice. I'd retire on 12 million and I'm only 27. The greed of the NBA is sickening. All I know is gas is over 4 dollars a gallon, and food and neccesities are skyrocketing along with it. I think I need a break from this million dollar talk lol.

Sollozzo
04-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Yeah if he gets money like that then that's exhibit A as to what's wrong with the NBA.

Seriously, I don't think there's anyone in the history of the league who would have done so little only to get rewarded with a contract for so much.

Natston
04-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah if he gets money like that then that's exhibit A as to what's wrong with the NBA.

Big men always get overpaid though...

ilive4sports
04-30-2011, 03:31 PM
A small market franchise like the Pacers will not get a big-time free agent any other way. When you combine that with the fact we are unlikely to be cellar dwellers for at least a decade now you have to wonder if this is a risk worth taking. The underlying question is whether a small market team like the Pacers which will always lack talent compared to the Lakers, Celtics, etc. has to take this type of risk to contend. Maybe not but the alternative is probably 50 years of waiting. No kidding.

Edit: BTW, I am not convinced this is a worthy risk. Only that a risk might need to be taken to be able to contend in the league within, say, the George era.

Greg Oden is not a big-time free agent. Unless you are talking about his physical size.

vnzla81
04-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Career per 36:

15 points
12 boards
6.5 fouls

:laugh: per 36min, like he is ever going to be able to play for 36 straight minutes, he would either get hurt or foul out.

ilive4sports
04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
For those who want his actual numbers:

08/09: 8.9ppg, 7.0rpg, 1.1bpg, 56% shooting, 3.9 fouls in 21.5mpg in 61 games
09/10: 11.1ppg, 8.5rpg, 2.3bpg, 60% shooting, 4.0 fouls in 23.9mpg in 21 games.

While his numbers are nice, he has played a total of 1 full season in 4 seasons. He hasn't shown he can be healthy. Way too big of a risk at $10 mil a year...

Sollozzo
04-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Big men always get overpaid though...

Big men who have at least played, though......

mattie
04-30-2011, 04:22 PM
The terrible part is that GM arguing why you sign Oden. lol It's no wonder there are so many teams with so many overpayed players. It really doesn't have to be this way- Stop signing average players to fat contracts.

Imagine if Atlanta had never signed JJ? what would have happened? They'd probably end up even being a better team then they are now.

I don't know why but GM's just love to spend that money as quickly as possible.. .It's like the majority of NBA teams are run by Al Davis clones...

D-BONE
04-30-2011, 04:32 PM
40 mil for 4 years?

HELL NO!

His injury issues have been a crying shame, but under the circumstances, he should feel lucky to be offered the league minimum. In any real world sense, which, of course, doesn't apply to the majority high tier professional athletes.

Jared Sullinger
04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Oden was a dominant rebounder and defender when he was healthy while also having a lot of offensive potential. Anyone who isn't intrigued by that, injuries or not, probably thinks basketball is all about ESPN highlights. I do agree that 4/$40 is too risky, though. I'd do 2/$20M or 3/$30M with a team option. I'd say that's a reasonable risk/reward balance for a potential defensive anchor and franchise center.

Hoop
04-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Not even counting the injury problems, that's a lot of money for someone that's, what? 42 years old.

idioteque
04-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Big men who have at least played, though......

The only contract I could think of that's even in the same stratosphere is the Jerome James 5/30 deal. But even then, he had two good playoff series.

Hicks
04-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Anyone who isn't intrigued by that, injuries or not, probably thinks basketball is all about ESPN highlights.

Other than being 100% wrong, that is absolutely correct.

TinManJoshua
04-30-2011, 06:23 PM
I pointed out those per 36 numbers for two reasons:

1. It pretty obvious from the inflation he's never really been able to give 30 minutes, be it because of conditioning or his inability to stay out of foul trouble. So even if he's healthy enough to play, he's wasting your money sitting on the bench over half the game.

2. I thought the 6.5 fouls was really funny. Not hilarious, but good for a little chuckle.

Shade
04-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Career per 36:

15 points
12 boards
6.5 fouls

:laugh:

Jared Sullinger
04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Roy Hibbert averaged 7.7 fouls per-36 minutes as a rookie and is over 5 per-36 for his career.

BlueNGold
04-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Greg Oden is not a big-time free agent. Unless you are talking about his physical size.

We can talk semantics if you like but the fact he's done nothing in the league doesn't mean he's not a big-time free agent. 10M/year is already big and when you consider it's been heavily discounted he's that much bigger.

Anyway, if he's healthy and good for the entire contract, he is literally a steal. Just on his presence, ability to dominate the paint defensively and score at a high FG%...a healthy Greg Oden, even with him being somewhat limited on offense, is still worth at least 15M/yr.

The only question here is if he's going to be healthy. Can the Pacers take this risk? I actually would not do it. Not for 4/40. I would definitely roll the dice for 2/20. That's all this is really. A gamble. But 2/20 will not be offered IMO. Far more risk will need to be taken on to get him signed.

Edit: I think I would dial down my last couple sentences. Call me excited about having the hometown boy back home and dominating the paint. After a little more objective thought I would probably chop about half of that off.

beast23
04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
We can talk semantics if you like but the fact he's done nothing in the league doesn't mean he's not a big-time free agent. 10M/year is already big and when you consider it's been heavily discounted he's that much bigger.

Anyway, if he's healthy and good for the entire contract, he is literally a steal. Just on his presence, ability to dominate the paint defensively and score at a high FG%...a healthy Greg Oden, even with him being somewhat limited on offense, is still worth at least 15M/yr.

The only question here is if he's going to be healthy. Can the Pacers take this risk? I actually would not do it. Not for 4/40. I would definitely roll the dice for 2/20. That's all this is really. A gamble. But 2/20 will not be offered IMO. Far more risk will need to be taken on to get him signed.I wouldn't even offer 2/20M. Most folks in the know in Lawrence township are aware that Oden was experiencing symptoms with his knees even during his last couple of years of high school.

His health is just way too big of a risk. I don't see any team out there holding up their dealings in the FA market, just waiting to see where Oden lands. That would pretty much indicate that he's just not a real big fish in the FA market to me.

From my perspective, no one will offer anything long term for Oden. So why not just wait and see if he is going to show any signs of good health and if he is able to do that then go after him in a year or two when his contract is up.

BlueNGold
05-01-2011, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't even offer 2/20M. Most folks in the know in Lawrence township are aware that Oden was experiencing symptoms with his knees even during his last couple of years of high school.

His health is just way too big of a risk. I don't see any team out there holding up their dealings in the FA market, just waiting to see where Oden lands. That would pretty much indicate that he's just not a real big fish in the FA market to me.

From my perspective, no one will offer anything long term for Oden. So why not just wait and see if he is going to show any signs of good health and if he is able to do that then go after him in a year or two when his contract is up.

That's another option, but that would actually increase the risk because the investment would skyrocket. Every franchise including the Pacers would be standing in line in a bidding war. It's actually a far greater risk because you would have to sign a JO size contract with potentially a Jon Bender type player. If there were a time to strike with Oden it's before his stock rises...not after it does. I would hate to invest 80M over 4 years and find the dude's knee blows out again.

BTW, it goes without saying that there is good reason to doubt he will ever be productive in the NBA. All signs point to another Jon Bender type career. I get every bit of that. I also see 2 years at 10M to be a drop in the bucket compared to the last decade.

The bottom line? I don't think that failing on this risk will have any impact at all on whether the Pacers contend for a championship during the Paul George era. I think succeeding on it would.

eldubious
05-01-2011, 01:18 PM
Taking a risk is the only way the Pacers will contend for a title, period. They probably will never have the luxury of building through the lottery like the Thunder. They will never sign a top notch free agent. They are going to have to take the Atlanta Hawk route by hitting on draft picks, trading for young stars, and signing affordable free agents. The presence of Oden will raise this franchise incredibly in sales and TV ratings, and that's not even considering if he reaches his potential. This is definitely a risk worth taking based on the fact that continuing to do nothing will result in nothing. The Pacers could probably do a 2 or 3 year deal for about 12-15 a year with incentives rather than a long contract.

BlueNGold
05-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Taking a risk is the only way the Pacers will contend for a title, period. They probably will never have the luxury of building through the lottery like the Thunder. They will never sign a top notch free agent. They are going to have to take the Atlanta Hawk route by hitting on draft picks, trading for young stars, and signing affordable free agents. The presence of Oden will raise this franchise incredibly in sales and TV ratings, and that's not even considering if he reaches his potential. This is definitely a risk worth taking based on the fact that continuing to do nothing will result in nothing. The Pacers could probably do a 2 or 3 year deal for about 12-15 a year with incentives rather than a long contract.

This is generally how I view things in the era of the Heat, Lakers, Celtics and Thunder getting all the talent...whether through the draft or by the player's choice. The Pacers will be picking in the mid teens possibly for years and don't expect a great veteran to arrive here to be that last piece for a championship. Those guys head to the coasts.

As for 12-15/yr, I would not take that much risk for a chance that Oden may rebound physically. I think everyone has a number though...

ksuttonjr76
05-01-2011, 01:50 PM

So now we want to pay him more than Dunleavy :eek:? The only reason why this is even a conversation is mainly because he's from Indiana. You mean to tell me that we CAN'T secure a HEALTHY FA at 12-15 million a year? I find that hard to believe.

Peck
05-01-2011, 05:28 PM

I'm not sure how? IMO he is a non factor in the NBA right now. He never developed at all in Portland so I just don't see him having any name recognition at all around the country.

BlueNGold
05-01-2011, 06:28 PM
For those who don't believe Oden is worth 2 years @10M/yr, what is your number? Would you waste a roster spot on him?

Anthem
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Taking a risk is the only way the Pacers will contend for a title, period.
You don't spend your money on a lottery ticket when you're trying to get out of debt. You pay down your debts, build up some assets, and use those assets to bootstrap the next phase of your plan.

Spending crazy money on Bender 2.0 is an easy way to destroy the rebuild.

ksuttonjr76
05-01-2011, 07:48 PM
For those who don't believe Oden is worth 2 years @10M/yr, what is your number? Would you waste a roster spot on him?

Zero and no.

xIndyFan
05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
money can be spent on a player like oden by including team options/non-guaranteed money at the back end. if oden is worth $10M/yr, then offer a 3yr/$30M contract with the last 2 yrs team option. or based on games played, the option is automatically picked up. dealing with an injury issue is easy. unless the player wants all his money guaranteed.

oden is worth about $5M/yr imo. a nice backup with the chance to become a good player. but right now, he is the same as thabeet or dalembert in his value to the pacers. a backup with some size to rebound or defend.

Eleazar
05-01-2011, 08:16 PM

The highest I would go if I was the GM is $3.5 mil, and as a fan I would be willing to accept up to $5 mil. In both cases no more than 2 years guaranteed, and the rest being team options.

Right now Oden has absolutely zero power to bargain. He is going to have to take what a team is willing to give him because no one will give him more than $5 million.

BlueNGold
05-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Zero and no.

Every single franchise in the NBA would at least give him vet minimum for two years without blinking an eye.

I believe he will probably get at least 5M/yr for two years unless there is medical proof that he is done. Everything will depend on that...not whatever someone heard back in Lawrence 5 years ago.

I think the idea of a team option as the previous poster mentioned probably makes the most sense regardless of the amount. Something like a 5-5-10 (with 3rd year option) might be about right.

BlueNGold
05-01-2011, 08:24 PM
The highest I would go if I was the GM is $3.5 mil, and as a fan I would be willing to accept up to $5 mil. In both cases no more than 2 years guaranteed, and the rest being team options.

Right now Oden has absolutely zero power to bargain. He is going to have to take what a team is willing to give him because no one will give him more than $5 million.

I think this is about right. I'd probably go a little higher than 3.5M as a GM but I bet a lot of them have this opinion.

xtacy
05-02-2011, 06:50 AM
4 year 40 mil. for oden.

that's what i call idiotic.

Kid Minneapolis
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd take a chance on him for the right price. $40mil isn't the right price. 2 years/$10mil, sure.

Gamble1
05-02-2011, 10:45 AM
I really don't understand how the Blazers can afford to offer him anything.

They have 74 million on the books next year and they have Brandon Roy who is signed long term with injuries as well.

I mean they have other issues on their team like who will be their PG for next year.

I would sign him to a one year deal with a second year team option but that would be about it.

Hicks
05-02-2011, 10:55 AM
The most I would want to offer Oden right now is about $4 million a year.

DrFife
05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Assuming Portland would be interested ... how 'bout us trading Posey ($7.6m) and our #1 for Oden - signed for his qualifying offer ($8.8m)?

Clearly, Posey is no longer in our plans. Thus, we essentially would be using our pick (and some "pocket change") for a one-year tryout and the inside track to retaining him should he demonstrate sustainable health next season. Keep in mind that a pick at #15 this year equates to a player who either has demonstrated decent college production mild pro potential, or holds the allure of high potential mixed with significant risk.

Gamble1
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Assuming Portland would be interested ... how 'bout us trading Posey ($7.6m) and our #1 for Oden - signed for his qualifying offer ($8.8m)?

Clearly, Posey is no longer in our plans. Thus, we essentially would be using our pick (and some "pocket change") for a one-year tryout and the inside track to retaining him should he demonstrate sustainable health next season. Keep in mind that a pick at #15 this year equates to a player who either has demonstrated decent college production mild pro potential, or holds the allure of high potential mixed with significant risk.
I am not sure that is legal but I would do it for just our first round pick and keep Posey expiring.

naptownmenace
05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
The Pacers should just go sign Stanko Barac. He's 7'2", blocks shots, has good moves in the post, he's healthy, and the Pacers already own his draft rights.

I'd love for Oden to be able to stay healthy and be a productive All-Star player but I just don't see it happening. Amare Stoudamire is the exception to the rule when it comes to micro-fracture surgery success. I think if he can get healthy, he'll be lucky to have an Antonio McDyess-like career.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 01:27 PM
The most I would want to offer Oden right now is about $4 million a year.
I agree....maybe $4-5 mil a year AT THE MOST with a 2 year guaranteed Salary and the 3rd year Team Option ( or a 3 year guaranteed contract with a super huge Insurance Policy in place ).

The reality is that Oden ( DESPITE whatever potential he will have...which greatly depends on his health ) will be the Backup Center in our lineup. I don't care how much of a risk/reward a Player is, there is a certain amount of $$$ that you pay a Backup Center....at the very least, you do your best to not overpay any Player given the role that he will likely have on the Team.

CableKC
05-02-2011, 01:28 PM
The Pacers should just go sign Stanko Barac. He's 7'2", blocks shots, has good moves in the post, he's healthy, and the Pacers already own his draft rights.

I'd love for Oden to be able to stay healthy and be a productive All-Star player but I just don't see it happening. Amare Stoudamire is the exception to the rule when it comes to micro-fracture surgery success. I think if he can get healthy, he'll be lucky to have an Antonio McDyess-like career.
I agree on bringing Stanko over to fill out the Frontcourt. If he works out...we can move him into the backup Center role that Foster fills right now.

Gamble1
05-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I agree on bringing Stanko over to fill out the Frontcourt. If he works out...we can move him into the backup Center role that Foster fills right now.
I think if we bring Stanko over it would be in the role of Solo this coming year then maybe a Fosters role the year after.

Personally I think we need leave Stanko over there for 2 more year (he is signed anyway) and go after a big time backup center/pf. If its Nene fine or if its Dalembert I am ok with that as well.

Eleazar
05-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I think if we bring Stanko over it would be in the role of Solo this coming year then maybe a Fosters role the year after.

Personally I think we need leave Stanko over there for 2 more year (he is signed anyway) and go after a big time backup center/pf. If its Nene fine or if its Dalembert I am ok with that as well.

Stanko isn't getting any younger. For him it is now or never. If you wait too long he will be nothing but another Jasikevicius.

Gamble1
05-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Stanko isn't getting any younger. For him it is now or never. If you wait too long he will be nothing but another Jasikevicius.
Cabbage had other issues like bringing the ball up the court.

I look at Scola and he wasn't brought over until he was 26. Stanko is 24 right now so in my mind there is no rush to bring him over. He probably won't get playing time his first year anyway and I don't want the guy getting DNP's when he could be developing more.

Plus no one knows what his buy out would be anyways.