PDA

View Full Version : Let's say Vogel comes back...

microwave_oven
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I think Vogel is a more than capable coach. But I also think that he will need some help. As much as I respect the assistant coaches, they are not "proven". In order for Vogel to take this team to the next level, I think he needs a proven assistant coach or two on his staff. A strong defensive mind would be my preference. Who do you think (realistically) would be a great fit on Vogel's bench?

I also caught these quotes from Chris Mannix's twitter account yesterday and didn't see them posted elsewhere:

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1256115787/PACANDME_normal.jpg ChrisMannixSI (http://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisMannixSI) Chris Mannix
Ex-Pacers coach Jim O'Brien told SI he hopes Vogel will get full time gig in Indy. "His knowledge of the game is at a high level," OB said.

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1256115787/PACANDME_normal.jpg ChrisMannixSI (http://twitter.com/#%21/ChrisMannixSI) Chris Mannix
O'Brien says he hasn't watched any basketball since leaving Indy but is "thrilled" the Pacers made the playoffs.

Discuss.

hoopsforlife
04-29-2011, 09:10 AM
I really like FV but if OB endorsed him I am may have to reconsider.

:)

Unclebuck
04-29-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't know. One problem is the Pacers current assistant coaches are primarily the only coaches he's coached with in the NBA. So I don't of any other coaches he has a history with.

The thing to do though is look for a head coach who gets fired and see if there are any coaches on the fired staff we might want. Anyone on Adelman's staff we might want?

On JOB, not sure I believe him that he has not watched any basketball since his firing. I'd guess he's watched some, maybe not intently, maybe not with the same level of concentration that coaches normally do.

microwave_oven
04-29-2011, 10:12 AM
I'll throw out a couple names that immediately came to my mind:

Clifford Ray - He currently runs a camp with Robert Parish I think. He is very good with big men and emphasizes rebounding. Some players that he changed for the better, IMO, are Dwight Howard, Ben Wallace, and Chris Webber.

Terry Porter - I don't think he picked up a job after being fired by the Suns. He was a heady player during his career and an under-appreciated head coach, IMO. He is also a defensive mind, which I would like.

Elston Turner - Don't know too much about him, but is a long-time assistant on Rick Adelman's Sacramento and Houston staffs.

Sam Mitchell - Great defensive player and another under-appreciated head coach. Also used to play for the Pacers, so there is a connection there. I think he is currently an assistant for the Nets.

Mark Jackson - I know he doesn't want to be an assistant coach, but I would love for him to give it a shot.

pwee31
04-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Yeah I was thinking the other day that if Vogel does come in, I would like to add more experienced assistants.

Don't want to put anyone out of a job, and I'm fine keeping a few guys, but I would like more experience from a NBA coaching standpoint, and if they happen to have NBA playing experience, that's icing on the cake

Hicks
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM
No to Mark Jackson. He's an alpha personality who I would expect to undermine Frank sooner or later due to philosophical differences.

CooperManning
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I'd love to have Sam Mitchell as the lead assistant, but I suspect if he's going to leave NJ he'd want a head coaching gig. He was the 2007 Coach of the Year after all.

Kid Minneapolis
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
The role I foresee for Mark Jackson is much like what Patrick Ewing does for the Magic --- tutor a position.

I'd love to see Jackson come in as a PG tutor.

Tom White
04-29-2011, 11:49 AM
No to Mark Jackson. He's an alpha personality who I would expect to undermine Frank sooner or later due to his giant ego

Fixed.

Hicks
04-29-2011, 12:02 PM
The role I foresee for Mark Jackson is much like what Patrick Ewing does for the Magic --- tutor a position.

I'd love to see Jackson come in as a PG tutor.

His ego would never allow it.

Scot Pollard
04-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Bob Hill
Eddie Jordan
Tony Barone

Trophy
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Bob Hill
Eddie Jordan
Tony Barone

I like Eddie Jordan and I'd be happy if Vogel added him to his staff.

Psyren
04-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Why need new assistants?

We already have the brilliant Walter McCarty and Vitaly Potapenko

Constellations
04-29-2011, 05:42 PM
Why need new assistants?

We already have the brilliant Walter McCarty and Vitaly Potapenko

You forgot the mastermind. Jay DeFruscio