PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NBA Playoffs: (1) Chicago vs. (5) Atlanta

Constellations
04-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Yerp. Gonna go with Chicago in 5.

CableKC
04-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Out of sheer principles....I'm gonna root for the Hawks. Let's go HAWKS!!!!

Yeah...screw the Bulls.

CooperManning
04-29-2011, 02:42 AM
I want either Chicago in 4 or Atlanta in 7.

15th parallel
04-29-2011, 04:45 AM
Atlanta in 6.

Their frontcourt can dismantle the Bulls' big men on both sides of the court. If they employ the Pacers' strategy on the Bulls, then I see them winning more in this series.

AesopRockOn
04-29-2011, 04:45 AM
You'd think Bulls easily, I'd say in 5. Then again, if Smith outplays Boozer, they have a shot at stealing a couple of game. Does Korver guard Joe in crunch time, or Crawford? Deng can't guard both. Then again, Hawks have no one in either the PG or DJ mold for Rose. Bulls bench has a big advantage.

Doddage
04-29-2011, 05:16 AM
Bulls in 6. Horford vs. Noah will be a fun matchup.

Unclebuck
04-29-2011, 09:00 AM
You'd think Bulls easily, I'd say in 5. Then again, if Smith outplays Boozer, they have a shot at stealing a couple of game. Does Korver guard Joe in crunch time, or Crawford? Deng can't guard both. Then again, Hawks have no one in either the PG or DJ mold for Rose. Bulls bench has a big advantage.

The best way to defend Boozer is to have a very physical one-on-one defender push him around, but then you also need someone with size to bother his shot. I think you need both of those in that order. Hans - Roy.

If the Hawks put Smith on him, Smith isn't physical enough, and Horford isn't really tall enough to bother Boozer too much. So if Boozer is healthy he'll have a much better series than he did against the pacers.

Also a huge key is how Hinrich is, it appeared he might have suffered a significant knee injury at the end of the game last night and he is the only player the Hawks have who can contend with Rose.

I see the Bulls in 5

BillS
04-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Heart says Atlanta, I'd like to see them get some success and they are the closest thing left to an underdog.

Head says Chicago. I don't think Atlanta has a consistent enough offense to be any better during the final minute defensive lockdown than we were. Too many jump shots.

Major Cold
04-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Bulls in 5...I hate the Bulls.

Unclebuck
04-29-2011, 08:31 PM
Just heard on NBATV that Hinrich is doubtful for the series

shags
04-29-2011, 08:49 PM
Bulls in 5. If Hinrich's out, do you think Atlanta would put Josh Smith on Rose? Teague guards Bogans, Joe Johnson guards Deng.

AesopRockOn
04-29-2011, 09:42 PM
The best way to defend Boozer is to have a very physical one-on-one defender push him around, but then you also need someone with size to bother his shot. I think you need both of those in that order. Hans - Roy.

If the Hawks put Smith on him, Smith isn't physical enough, and Horford isn't really tall enough to bother Boozer too much. So if Boozer is healthy he'll have a much better series than he did against the pacers.

Even more than having a physical defender on him, the worry with Boozer is that the dude just couldn't stay out of foul trouble on rebounds. Both Smith and Horford are active around the basket and will give Boozer problems. Smith certainly won't get into his head like Tyler did. The only reason I mentioned Smith was because if Deng is guarding JJ, then Hawks have to get points some how. The way the starting lineups are now (Rose vs Teague, Deng vs JJ, Bogans vs Williams, Boozer vs Smith, Noah vs Horford), Hawks don't look like they can score 15 points in the first quarters in this series. Crawford is set up to really increase his value this offseason.

Mr_Smith
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Hawks in 6... On a side note i can forsee zaza pachulia getting under boozer or noahs skin as he did with dwight howard

Shade
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
I'll be rooting for Atlanta, but I think Chicago will take care of the Hawks pretty easily. Bulls in 5.

Sollozzo
04-30-2011, 02:54 PM
I don't think this will be an easy series at all for Chicago. Horford and Smith are much better than our front court and will give Noah and Boozer some huge fits. If the Hawks watch film and see how we frustrated Rose and made him play worse in every game from 1-4 then I think they have a chance. Also, they need to have Zaza or someone give Rose a tough foul or two as he goes to the basket like Foster did. Lay the law down on him. Let him know that if he comes into the lane there will be a price to pay. That gets in his head and flusters him a bit.

Make Rose shoot threes to beat you. If he hits him like he did in game 5 against us then that's that. But he's not going to hit them all series.

I'll say Bulls in 7 because I think this will be a back and forth series with the home court prevailing, but I won't be surprised at all if the Hawks win this series. They stomped Orlando and know how to win close games, unlike us.

D-BONE
04-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Bulls in 6, especially if no Hinrich. That's would be a big-time loss for the Hawks. I don't see who you put there at all. Sure, Crawford can play point, but it takes a lot of pop out of your bench, and defensively Rose would have a field day. Although, it will be interesting to see who checks him - Smith? Williams?

Basketball Fan
05-02-2011, 07:33 PM
Because this is funny the Hawks leave game tickets for Jameer Nelson:laugh:

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/05/atlanta-hawks-leave-game-tickets-for-jameer-nelson/

BringJackBack
05-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Carlos Boozer is a joke.

ECKrueger
05-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I am thoroughly enjoying this game so far.

Pingu
05-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Rose lighting it up so far.

BringJackBack
05-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Words can't describe how much I'd like Jamal Crawford to start at SG for the Pacers next year.. I get the feeling that he could average a little bit over 20 PPG for us if he got the green light.

BringJackBack
05-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Good game, but officiating is unbearable.

Pingu
05-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Pacers > Hawks (at defending the Bulls).

Also, Boozer is the most toolish tool that the world of tools has ever known.

owl
05-02-2011, 09:24 PM
He would be a star on Tool Time ]

Mr_Smith
05-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Really tired of Boozer talking...."Gimme that ******!!!" "Get in there!!!" "Block that ******" Shut the **** up!!!!!!!!!!

Day-V
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I hope Atlanta keeps winning, but Jamal Crawford misses every shot he takes.

Nothing against him, just fear if he keeps doing good, we'll sign him to a big contract this offseason.

Mr_Smith
05-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Hawks aren't collapsing.....Pacers take notes!!

BoomBaby31
05-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Like I said: "The Bulls will be lucky to win 2 games"

DrFife
05-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Wow, what a block!!

Rose shows his incredible burst toward the hoop ... which he used to kill us ... but this time Josh Smith shows catlike quickness to spring over for the block.

If we had someone with his athleticism, and someone with Joe Johnson's outside shooting ... SCHWINGGG!!!

vnzla81
05-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Yep the Hawks have more talent than the Pacers is expected for the Bulls to be down.

shags
05-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Nothing against him, just fear if he keeps doing good, we'll sign him to a big contract this offseason.

Crawford is in the perfect role for him. He's an absolute ballhog, an unabashed gunner with horrible shot selection. But he can really create his own shot and score. Plus he's a below average defender.

Those are qualities you want in your sixth man, not in a player you have to rely on night in and night out. There's a reason he went 8 to 9 years without making the playoffs.

Trophy
05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
The Bulls just can't rise up in the playoffs.

The Hawks are playing them hard. They're making their shots. Joe Johnson is having a great game.

Pingu
05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm enjoying this quite a bit.

Pingu
05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Crawford's a balla'

vnzla81
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey Crawford :signit:

Day-V
05-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Crawford is in the perfect role for him. He's an absolute ballhog, an unabashed gunner with horrible shot selection. But he can really create his own shot and score. Plus he's a below average defender.

Those are qualities you want in your sixth man, not in a player you have to rely on night in and night out. There's a reason he went 8 to 9 years without making the playoffs.

That's why I hope we don't sign him. Or else sign him to a huge *** contract.

michealwilliams4
05-02-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm pleased the experts may have been wrong about us matching up well against the Bulls. Maybe they just aren't that good. I know it's weird when you have the MVP (who's shot selection has been as good as his SAT scores) and the Coach of the Year (who's been outcoached all postseason)...

I'm tired of the Bulls. I can't wait for these guys to get eliminated. Sooner the better, so I won't have to hear how good they are when they play like trash for 45 minutes.

vnzla81
05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
That's why I hope we don't sign him. Or else sign him to a huge *** contract.

You got to pay if you want to get a clutch shooter and closer.

kester99
05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
injury added to insult here....

Mr_Smith
05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Rose just hurt his ankle right at the end of the game! wow

Trophy
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Eric Gordon please!

He's a much more skilled SG than Crawford, he's younger and would probably be more willing to come here.

This is honestly the best fit for Crawford. He's not a starter by any means.

vnzla81
oh the little baby is hurt now .............

ndcoltsnpacers
Kharmas a *****.

ECKrueger
05-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Well, atl matched us already....

15th parallel
05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
In recent memory, the regular season MVP award is somewhat cursed.

- KG won his first MVP award on the best Twolves season, but didn't reach the finals
- Phoenix didn't also reach the finals on Nash's back-to-back MVP years
- Mavs were upset by the Warriors on the 1st round when Dirk won the MVP
- Kobe won his first MVP award, then they lost the finals series against the Celtics
- LeBron won 2 back-to-back MVPs, and on both years the Cavs didn't reach the NBA finals

What's up with that? Will DRose continue the curse? We'll see...

Trophy
05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
What's wrong with Rose?

The game was over and he tries to pressure the ball and then he hurts himself.

vnzla81
05-02-2011, 10:37 PM

- KG won his first MVP award on the best Twolves season, but didn't reach the finals
- Kobe won his first MVP award, then they lost the finals series against the Celtics
- LeBron won 2 back-to-back MVPs, and on both years the Cavs didn't reach the NBA finals

It has to do more with players getting a recognition for putting their teams in their back and winning more games than expected.

hoosierguy
05-02-2011, 10:43 PM
It never gets old saying this:

EAT **** CHICAGO!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!:D:D

xBulletproof
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM
You got to pay if you want to get a clutch shooter and closer.

Ask Detroit how much paying up for Ben Gordon is working out for them.

Jamal Crawford struggles to make 40% of his shots in most seasons, and in some hasn't even cracked 40%. I'm nowhere near interested in a guy with shot selection that bad.

15th parallel
05-02-2011, 10:47 PM
It has to do more with players getting a recognition for putting their teams in their back and winning more games than expected.

I agree, but I just think about the older seasons where the MVP winner also had experience winning a championship the same year. Tim Duncan, Shaq, Jordan, Magic, Bird, Hakeem and others have at least won one of their season MVPs the same year as their championship years.

Ransom
05-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I missed most of the fourth. Did anyone notice anything particular about how the Hawks closed the game out? Did Rose simply not shoot as well, the Bulls didn't play better, or did the Hawks execute better down the stretch than the Pacers did?

Psyren
05-02-2011, 10:50 PM
I missed most of the fourth. Did anyone notice anything particular about how the Hawks closed the game out? Did Rose simply not shoot as well, the Bulls didn't play better, or did the Hawks execute better down the stretch than the Pacers did?

The Hawks executed far better than the Pacers. When the Bulls scored a bucket, the Hawks didn't start panicking.

On a side note, is it just me or is Carlos Boozer just not very good?

CT Pacer
05-02-2011, 10:50 PM
The box score says Rose shot ZERO free throws....ZERO?!?!?!?!

vnzla81
05-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Ask Detroit how much paying up for Ben Gordon is working out for them.

Jamal Crawford struggles to make 40% of his shots in most seasons, and in some hasn't even cracked 40%. I'm nowhere near interested in a guy with shot selection that bad.

He is a bench player, I want him as our 6th man to replace Dunleavy, nobody is asking for him to be the savior, he is just going to be another piece of the puzzle.

King Tuts Tomb
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM

He only drove a few times. The Hawks did a good job closing lanes and making him pass the ball. They also have an elite shot blocker in Josh Smith who caught him a couple times at the rim.

McKeyFan
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM

Did we watch the same game?

xIndyFan
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM
The Hawks executed far better than the Pacers. When the Bulls scored a bucket, the Hawks didn't start panicking.

helps that the hawks have twice as much talent as the pacers.:hmm:
maybe more overall talent than the bulls. just seems to be a team that ends up less than the sum of its parts.

boozer is good against bad players and bad against good player. his effectiveness just drops off against someone big and athletic enough. his drop in effectiveness says more about the difference between tyler and josh smith than anything else.

McKeyFan
05-02-2011, 11:40 PM
I don't have a big grudge against the Bulls or anything. Still, part of me would love to see those whiners get swept.

Trader Joe
05-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Anyone still want to stick by the Bulls as a legit number 1 seed? They lack everything a true playoff contender really needs except a big time scorer and even then Rose is shooting like 34% in the playoffs.

Day-V
05-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Did we watch the same game?

I was saying I hope he misses every shot he takes, not that he WAS missing every shot he took.

DemonHunter1105
05-02-2011, 11:50 PM
Anyone still want to stick by the Bulls as a legit number 1 seed? They lack everything a true playoff contender really needs except a big time scorer and even then Rose is shooting like 34% in the playoffs.

Yeah, I never really took the claim seriously that they are the best team in basketball even if they had the best regular season record. I just wonder who/how they will add in the near future to make them better offensively.

Rose just can't keep jacking up shots all over the place when he is not that good of an outside shooter.

Trader Joe
05-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Bottom line:

1.) Chicago feasted on a weak division (The dirty little secret NO ONE brought up heading into the playoffs)

2.) Rose is one of those guys who has a huge impact in the regular season, but can be mitigated in a 7 game series.

3.) Boozer is not a legitimate second fiddle. On a really good playoff team, he's the 3rd option tops.

4.) Their bench is utterly terrible and doesn't have one complete player out of the entire bunch. Gibson is as close as they get. Watson, Korver, Brewer all have major flaws that make them extremely situational.

5.) Thibs got way too much credit.

itzryan07
05-03-2011, 12:05 AM
i don't like Jamaal Crawford. He is streaky. But anyway, Go Hawks and screw the bulls

Hicks
05-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm fine with my backup 2 being streaky when being hot means he can drop 40 on your opponent.

I don't want him to start, we have Paul George for that. I want him for firepower off the bench. I want him because he can create his own offense (to a fault, but still).

If you can get a pretty good to really good power forward to start next to Roy and also add a guy like Crawford, we're in business.

Psyren
05-03-2011, 12:20 AM
helps that the hawks have twice as much talent as the pacers.:hmm:
maybe more overall talent than the bulls. just seems to be a team that ends up less than the sum of its parts.

boozer is good against bad players and bad against good player. his effectiveness just drops off against someone big and athletic enough. his drop in effectiveness says more about the difference between tyler and josh smith than anything else.

Yes, it does. And the halfway sarcastic comment was needed why? The poster I quoted simply asked if the Hawks closed better than the Pacers. Yes, they did. Obviously it's because they're better. But I answered what he asked. They did not panic. Simple as that.

And the 2nd part. So, basically Boozer is an average player. If you suck against good players, and are good against bad players, that makes him mediocre.

Constellations
05-03-2011, 01:18 AM
Go Atlana lol!

Isaac
05-03-2011, 01:45 AM

Boozer has had by far his worst season since he went to Utah this year. Most of it was blamed on injuries, but he looks healthy and just isn't playing like the same guy. When he was in Utah he was really a fantastic low post scorer. Him and Al Jefferson were the two best pure big men scorers in the game for a couple years. If he gets it going in these playoffs, watch out, but he has looked bad so far.

Really though the key for the Bulls this series is for Rose to play like the MVP (obviously). He didn't tonight.

Isaac
05-03-2011, 01:46 AM

They just didn't collapse. The Pacers took bad shots, missed them, and then played bad defense. The Hawks didn't do that. They won this game like most basketball games are won.

ilive4sports
05-03-2011, 02:25 AM
I didn't see much of tonights game, but I can't say that I am really surprised. TJ hit on most of the points. Although on a team with a legit second option, Rose wouldn't be handled so easily.

They are the Cleveland Cavaliers under LeBron James right now. They don't have a legit second option. They rely on one player way too much. They play great defense all season long and beat up on that same weak division the Bulls did this year.

Not one man in the NBA can win it all on his own. This is why they struggled against the Pacers too. Derrick Rose is a great player and will be no matter who he plays with. But like I have said before, even Jordan had Pippen. Rose has Boozer and Deng... Thats not going to cut it. If they get by Atlanta, Boston or Miami will stop them. And probably with ease.

King Tuts Tomb
05-03-2011, 02:51 AM
Boozer has had by far his worst season since he went to Utah this year. Most of it was blamed on injuries, but he looks healthy and just isn't playing like the same guy. When he was in Utah he was really a fantastic low post scorer. Him and Al Jefferson were the two best pure big men scorers in the game for a couple years. If he gets it going in these playoffs, watch out, but he has looked bad so far.

Really though the key for the Bulls this series is for Rose to play like the MVP (obviously). He didn't tonight.

Boozer's been maybe a little overrated in Utah. He played there 6 years, two of which he played less than forty games and another he played fifty.

He also played with a pass-first point guard in Deron Williams. Rose is good but he's a scoring guard and he doesn't get the ball to Boozer in spots where he can really do damage.

CableKC
05-03-2011, 02:59 AM
Yeah....that's just wierd. The guy averages 7-8 FTA over the course of the season and got his mail delivered to the FT Line cuz he practically lived at there against us.....the Refs must have been distracted or paid off or something.

Basketball Fan
05-03-2011, 07:34 AM

The last MVP to win it all was Tim Duncan in 2003

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Bottom line:

1.) Chicago feasted on a weak division (The dirty little secret NO ONE brought up heading into the playoffs)

2.) Rose is one of those guys who has a huge impact in the regular season, but can be mitigated in a 7 game series.

3.) Boozer is not a legitimate second fiddle. On a really good playoff team, he's the 3rd option tops.

4.) Their bench is utterly terrible and doesn't have one complete player out of the entire bunch. Gibson is as close as they get. Watson, Korver, Brewer all have major flaws that make them extremely situational.

5.) Thibs got way too much credit.

Bulls won 62 games so they are a legitimate #1 eastern conference team. You do not win 62 games by accident, and your claim that they feasted on a weak division is absurd, they play 66 games outside their division that is 81% of their games.

Also you make a decent point more or less saying their talent is not as high as their record would indicate, but then you undermine that point by suggesting that Thibs gets too much credit, I think he maybe doesn't get enough.

I am going to steal a point that was made last week by JVG, the regular season is about a teams basketball character, the playoffs are about a teams basketball talent.

put another way, in the regular season playing hard, which all teams don't do, will get a team a lot of wins, but in the playoffs every team generally plays equally hard, so talent is more vital in the playoffs.

Trader Joe
05-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Thibs doesn't get enough?

Has he made one adjustment yet this entire playoffs? Even as his team struggled to dispatch a round 1 opponent that won 37 games or as they got stomped by Atlanta?

He looks like Mike Brown Jr. right now.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Thibs doesn't get enough?

Has he made one adjustment yet this entire playoffs? Even as his team struggled to dispatch a round 1 opponent that won 37 games or as they got stomped by Atlanta?

He looks like Mike Brown Jr. right now.

Counting the number of adjustments a coach makes is nearly impossible. Sure you can count if a coach changes the starting lineup, but do we ever count how many minor adjustements a coach makes in lets say guarding a side pick and roll. My point is coaches make dozens of adjustments in every game, and from game to game - they might be too subtle to notice, but they are there

BillS
05-03-2011, 09:55 AM
The key was that the Hawks have the kind of players who can counter the Bulls' defensive intensity and continue scoring. The Pacers simply could not get the ball in the basket when the pressure turned up.

The Bulls did exactly what they did to us, but the Hawks' offense did not collapse in response.

I think we're a player (and playoff experience, let's not forget that) away from being able to hold on at the end. Still not elite, but that specific problem is definitely fixable.

Unclebuck
05-03-2011, 11:07 AM
What surprised me is how ineffective the Bulls defense was at controling the hawks. SVG after the hawks beat his magic said that the hawks are a very good team when playing with a lead, but noyt so good if you get a lead on them.

here is a good article about the Bulls,
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/5150614-419/time-for-bulls-to-find-the-next-gear.html

Trader Joe
05-03-2011, 11:20 AM
SVG should probably keep his yapper shut.

McKeyFan
05-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Joe Johnson is the dude.

Crawford ain't bad either.

We don't have a player like either of them.

Hicks
05-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Yep. If we can get Nene and Crawford, I'm very happy. Hopefully they're not too overpaid, but they likely will be to a certain extent. Cost of being good, I think.

Collison/Price
George/Crawford
Granger/George
Nene/Hansbrough
Hibbert/Nene

I'd be pretty damned interested to see how that group developed. That would also be a tight, quality, 8-man playoff rotation, too. Pepper in guys 9-12 during the regular season to rest their legs.

Sollozzo
05-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I think you have to start Crawford over George.

That would be a fun team to watch.

Sollozzo
05-03-2011, 01:40 PM
I continue to not be very impressed by Derrick Rose.

He's shooting 37% from the field and 22% from beyond the arc. When he's not getting to the line, like last night, he is just a big chucker. If you can close the lanes off like Atlanta did last night then he isn't that big of a threat out there. When he can't drive like a wild man and draw fouls then he's nothing special at all.

Let him shoot all he wants because he's not that good of a shooter. Sometimes, like in game 5 against us, he can get hot and make a few threes in a row. But as these playoffs has shown, those moments are few and far between.

We lost game 5 primarily because Rose and Ketih Bogans couldn't miss for that stretch in the third quarter. Make them beat you doing that, because odds are that most games they aren't going to be able to hit like that.

The Bulls are so easily beatable for the elite playoff teams in this league. If the birds don't get them then Boston or Miami will handle with ease.

Rose deserve the MVP but he is not the best player in the league.

naptownmenace
05-03-2011, 03:00 PM
The key was that the Hawks have the kind of players who can counter the Bulls' defensive intensity and continue scoring. The Pacers simply could not get the ball in the basket when the pressure turned up.

The Bulls did exactly what they did to us, but the Hawks' offense did not collapse in response.

I think we're a player (and playoff experience, let's not forget that) away from being able to hold on at the end. Still not elite, but that specific problem is definitely fixable.

The one thing the Hawks did a great job of is not rushing their shots once they got to the last 3 minutes of the game. They let the clock run down below 10 seconds before even trying to run a play. The Pacers often rushed and tossed up the first shot that became available and when they missed, it played right into the hands of the Bulls.

Hawks did a much better job of hitting tough shots as well but they at least ate up a lot of clock before taking any shots.

Hicks
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
I think you have to start Crawford over George.

That would be a fun team to watch.

I expect George to grow into a better player than Crawford within the next two seasons. Barring setbacks, I'd prefer to let him continue his role as a starter because he can already bring some very good defense to that role, which is obviously important, and I expect his offense to keep improving.

Besides, I'd rather have someone as streaky as Crawford being the 6th man, not a starter.

On another note, what's fun is down the stretch of games, we can really make it tough on opponents by playing Jamal at the 1 and seeing if their point guard can stop him at all. I wouldn't do that all the time, but it's a nice option to keep in the back pocket.

Sollozzo
05-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I expect George to grow into a better player than Crawford within the next two seasons. Barring setbacks, I'd prefer to let him continue his role as a starter because he can already bring some very good defense to that role, which is obviously important, and I expect his offense to keep improving.

Besides, I'd rather have someone as streaky as Crawford being the 6th man, not a starter.

On another note, what's fun is down the stretch of games, we can really make it tough on opponents by playing Jamal at the 1 and seeing if their point guard can stop him at all. I wouldn't do that all the time, but it's a nice option to keep in the back pocket.

True. George is a great defender and does so much that doesn't show up in the box score.

A second unit anchored by Hansbrough and Crawford would be incredible. Talk about offensive fire power.

ECKrueger
05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Ugh I hope the Hawks win in 4 just so I don't have to watch the bulls any more.

vnzla81
05-04-2011, 10:27 PM
This Hawks really play stupid basketball. :shakehead

Kstat
05-04-2011, 11:17 PM
They play great defense, but they just don't have enough creators on offense. JJ and Crawford are pretty much it.

Hicks
05-04-2011, 11:32 PM
I haven't been able to watch, but can't Horford score in the post?

Unclebuck
05-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I read just a few minutes ago that there are some ticket still avaiable for tonight and Sunday, but that it will likely sell out by gametime. Wow - that is Atlanta for you

Mr_Smith
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing how may Bulls fan turnout in the highlight factory

Cactus Jax
05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't get why so many people want Josh Smith, he's got to be the dumbest player around, his main skill is athleticism and his weakness is jump shooting yet all he does is chuck it up from the outside, plus he doesn't have the size to play the 4.

Mr_Smith
05-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't get why so many people want Josh Smith, he's got to be the dumbest player around, his main skill is athleticism and his weakness is jump shooting yet all he does is chuck it up from the outside, plus he doesn't have the size to play the 4.

The Hawks fans boo'ed the hell outta Josh Smith when he shot that mid-range jumper lol

pacer4ever
05-06-2011, 07:37 PM

He is bigger than Tyler just saying

hoosierguy
05-06-2011, 08:08 PM
The sooner Chicago is eliminated the better.

So much arrogance and showboating (from the players and fans alike) with nothing to back it up except a regular season record.

hoosierguy
05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Anyone still want Crawford?

Ugh.

Psyren
05-06-2011, 08:59 PM

He's the same height as Hansbrough and only 10 pounds lighter. Not to mention he's far more athletic.

I do agree that some people, including myself at times, have an been overly infatuated with Smith at times. But he most certainly can play the 4. If he can't play it, I suppose Hansbrough can't either.

You're right though that he's not a smart basketball player. At times he's even lazy and just takes plays off.

rock747
05-06-2011, 09:04 PM
People complain about Chicago, but the better they do, the better it reflects on the Pacer's first round performance. Atl won the first game, but the Pacers played Chicago harder than Atlanta thus far.

pwee31
05-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Well of course people are going to hate Bulls, they eliminated the Pacers.

I'm sure most still respect their team, maybe not their fans.

I agree the Bulls playing well looks really good on the Pacers b/c we really played them tough 4 out of 5 games.

pwee31
05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
I think the Hawks rely too much on playground basketball. They're athletic and have really good one on one players, that alone will get you wins in the NBA, and will likely keep them in the playoffs, but they won't be anymore then a 1st-2nd round team with their roster.

They always try to go one on one off the dribble, mostly to create for themselves, which is good playground ball, and nice if they have it going, but otherwise not winning ball.

It is nice to have one of those type of players late game situations though

pacer4ever
05-06-2011, 11:53 PM
I think the Hawks rely too much on playground basketball. They're athletic and have really good one on one players, that alone will get you wins in the NBA, and will likely keep them in the playoffs, but they won't be anymore then a 1st-2nd round team with their roster.

They always try to go one on one off the dribble, mostly to create for themselves, which is good playground ball, and nice if they have it going, but otherwise not winning ball.
It is nice to have one of those type of players late game situations though

Miami can win that way just basic PnR play ground ball with mostly Isos

pwee31
05-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Miami can win that way just basic PnR play ground ball with mostly Isos

Miami also has 2 of the best players in the world on their team, who also get generous whistles.

Guess that's the 1 team that can win that way

Shade
05-09-2011, 07:12 AM
Is anyone watching this series? I couldn't stay up to catch the game last night, but I see the Hawks won.

McKeyFan
05-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Hawks look pretty good.

They've got more horses than the Pacers, and the Bulls just don't have much beyond Rose. I think the Hawks have a chance to win game 5.

Plus, the Hawks have two gamers: Joe Johnson and Crawford.

Trader Joe
05-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Outside of one freak game where Rose shot 60% from the field and game 1 of our series, he's been a terribly inefficient player.

Lou Bega
05-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Pacers > Hawks (at defending the Bulls).

Also, Boozer is the most toolish tool that the world of tools has ever known.

You made a ridiculous post here. The Hawks have 3 players with more talent than Danny Granger. They are a good team. Yes, the Pacers played well in in the series vs Chicago. They do not have the amount of talent the Hawks do.

Unclebuck
05-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Outside of one freak game where Rose shot 60% from the field and game 1 of our series, he's been a terribly inefficient player.

By what standard? I mean as an alltime great? Sure. As a league MVP? Not so sure. As one of the best players in the NBA? not at all.

Everything the Bulls do is set up by Rose. And I think your use of the term "freak game" is absurd. Have you seen him play in person? He is unbelievable

Trader Joe
05-09-2011, 10:41 AM
I saw Rose play in person 3 times this season (does this prove anything? I guess it's just e-peen wagglin')...

He hasn't been very efficient in the playoffs...that 60% shooting night was a freak game, even by his regular season standards where he was a 44% shooter. If you take out that game he's 72/191 for the playoffs from the field or 37.6%. He's shooting 5 more times a game and only making 1 more FG a game when compared to his regular season numbers. He's shooting 2 more threes per game with no increase in the amount of makes (his percentage from behind the arc is down by 8%).

He has not been an efficient player in the playoffs. If the Bulls wanna thank anyone for their playoff run so far, it should be Joakim Noah IMO. If Rose reigned in his shooting even just a little bit, and took those 5 extra shots he's taking and used them to help set up teammates, the Bulls would have been a much better offensive team thus far in the playoffs. It's not like he's taking 5 more shots a game and making even 3 of them. He's taking 5 more shots a game and he's only making one. And what's even worse, two of those 5 shots per game are typically 3 pointers.

Unclebuck
05-09-2011, 11:18 AM
OK, how did they get into the second round of the playoff then. How did they win 62 games then. That doesn't happen by accident. You say that Noah should be credited for the - playoff run - I agree he is excellent IMO their second most valuable player.

We can argue about how good Rose is. I do know that stopping, slowing Rose is pretty much the only thing defenses are concerned about. Most of the offensive rebounds the Bulls get are because of Rose. Bulls second best player is no where near as good as the lakers second best player, or the Heat, or the Celtics, or the Thunder.

I would suggest that there might be 4 or 5 other players in the NBA could have replaced Rose and have gotten this team to 62 wins and a 2-2 in the second round.

Certainly I give their coach a ton of credit - he's done a great job, but Rose is really good.

Major Cold
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
"On TNT, NBA analyst Charles Barkley said Rose's 32 shots against the Atlanta Hawks in Game 4 of their East semifinal series were too gluttonous, even for him..."

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?w=1am6h&storyId=6510730&i=TOP&topslot=1

http://www.charlesbarkley.com/video/?c=cb-insidethenba&pid=502947&sid=5083745&iid=939775

I think Barkley is correct on this. A PG needs to get others involved. But do the Bulls have the makeup to do this? Are they capable of producing outside of Rose scoring? When the bench played well in the regular season they had that tool. But when the playoff intensity grew their execution shrank.

If the Point Guard is your best player, should he get the most shots? Should he be expected to get others involved more at the detriment to his role as a scorer? Can there be balance? Is Chris Paul this balanced Point Guard? Then why haven't the Hornets faired better?

If this is a Point Guard league, then why are scoring Point Guard teams struggling to do what they did in the regular season, in the playoffs?

Unclebuck
05-09-2011, 11:33 AM
"On TNT, NBA analyst Charles Barkley said Rose's 32 shots against the Atlanta Hawks in Game 4 of their East semifinal series were too gluttonous, even for him..."

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?w=1am6h&storyId=6510730&i=TOP&topslot=1

http://www.charlesbarkley.com/video/?c=cb-insidethenba&pid=502947&sid=5083745&iid=939775

I think Barkley is correct on this. A PG needs to get others involved. But do the Bulls have the makeup to do this? Are they capable of producing outside of Rose scoring? When the bench played well in the regular season they had that tool. But when the playoff intensity grew their execution shrank.

If the Point Guard is your best player, should he get the most shots? Should he be expected to get others involved more at the detriment to his role as a scorer? Can there be balance? Is Chris Paul this balanced Point Guard? Then why haven't the Hornets faired better?

If this is a Point Guard league, then why are scoring Point Guard teams struggling to do what they did in the regular season, in the playoffs?

If Rose has Durant on his team like Westbrook does then Rose is taking way, way too many shots, but the Bulls are offensively challenged they need Rose to do a lot as much or more than any other player in the NBA.

Dece
05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The Hornets didn't fair better because their second best player was out a lot of the season, and that roster overall is weak.

I do think Rose is shooting too much in these playoffs, but there can't be any doubt that he's incredible. He's still very young and I think he'll find a better balance between shooting and distributing in coming seasons.

Major Cold
05-09-2011, 11:40 AM
If Rose has Durant on his team like Westbrook does then Rose is taking way, way too many shots, but the Bulls are offensively challenged they need Rose to do a lot as much or more than any other player in the NBA.

And that is why a PG who takes most of your shots is fundamentally flawed and will not make it far.

This team is young but I would shop around to get another scorer. I understand why Rose is taking the shots. But the point is: Is building a team around a scoring PG going to get you a ring?

Trader Joe
05-09-2011, 11:44 AM
I think it's pretty obvious that this isn't, has never been, and will never be a point guard's league. You just need an average to good PG to win a championship, which is part of the reason I haven't been freaking out about DC.

DemonHunter1105
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Rose is amazing, but he has been taking way too many outside jumpers. That is not his game. If he continues to do this, I don't see them winning this series or at least winning the next one.

Great players are supposed to make his teammates look really good (i.e. Lebron making everyone on Cleveland seem like a threat, CP3 making backup 4/5s seem like legit players, etc.). I just don't feel that way about Rose right now. He's very very good but he is trying to do way too much by himself.

Major Cold
05-09-2011, 12:14 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that this isn't, has never been, and will never be a point guard's league. You just need an average to good PG to win a championship, which is part of the reason I haven't been freaking out about DC.

I don't think it is obvious, but unproven. All it will take is more legislation to open the lane and limit post scoring. The NBA can make this a PG league by a few rule changes.

Basketball Fan
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0509-bulls-brite--20110508,0,3025998.story

Referee Salvatore admits he blew call late in Bulls' loss
His inadvertent whistle, incorrect call, costs Rose 3 free throws
Share97(21)

Derrick Rose was whistled on this play by accident with Atlanta's Jamal Crawford during the second half. (Nuccio DiNuzzo, Chicago Tribune / May 8, 2011)

11:04 p.m. CDT, May 8, 2011
ct-spt-0509-bulls-brite--20110508
ATLANTA -- Official Bennett Salvatore admitted through a pool reporter late Sunday night that his inadvertent whistle on Derrick Rose's 3-point attempt with 2 minutes, 27 seconds left should've been a foul on Jamal Crawford.

The Bulls trailed 90-84 when Rose elevated for a 3-point attempt and appeared to draw contact from Crawford. Salvatore blew his whistle, then announced that it was inadvertent, which automatically calls for a jump ball. Josh Smith beat Joakim Noah on the ensuing jump ball, and Al Horford dunked at the other end for an eight-point lead.

"An inadvertent whistle is when a ref blows his whistle and didn't mean to," Salvatore said to the pool reporter. "That's exactly what happened. I blew my whistle and didn't mean to. I didn't think it was a foul. Having watched the replay after the game, it was a foul and I should've called it. I made a mistake.

"I blew my whistle and was positive it was not a foul. I blew my whistle by accident. That's why I disallowed it. Having watched replay, it was a foul. I made a mistake. I was wrong."

Speaking before Salvatore, coach Tom Thibodeau also said he thought Rose should've been awarded three free throws.

"At that time of the game, I've never seen that," Thibodeau said. "Bennett's a good official. He said he made a mistake. He's human. (Rose) got (Crawford) in the air, he came down on him, I thought it was a foul. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't."

Rose got credited for a turnover on the play and Crawford a steal.

"That's basketball," Rose said. "Hopefully next time they will call it. It was a tough game. No excuses. I put this game on me. Two turnovers at the end. It was a tough game. It's a series now."

Unclebuck
05-11-2011, 08:22 AM
The Bulls fourth quarter defense last night was the best defense I have seen in these playoffs. It was a clinic. If I were a coach of another team (Pacers) I would start training camp by showing my players that whole fourth quarter and disecting the Bulls defense, because from a technical aspect it was perfect. It was textbook and it is the type of defense any team can play if all five guys trust each other and play hard. I would tell my guys, we will work every day to strive to reach this level of defense.

Maybe Ive seen better defense overall tyhrough the years, but that is probably because of a great shot blocker or a great inbdividual defender, but as far as textbook defense last night was as good as I've ever seen. Every rotation, every help and recover, every close out was perfectly done

Major Cold
05-11-2011, 12:01 PM
No doubt. If you play defense like that then your PG can shoot 32 times. Teague was cut out of the lane. He was not allowed to turn the corner and shoot without contention. Deng played Johnson tightly. He shut him down for the most part. Horford had the bunnies. Taj was everywhere. He and Noah seem to be a better defensive unit. Boozer might get there with time and trust. But Taj seemed to really push the Hawks back on both ends.

Unclebuck
05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I would love to have Gibson on the Pacers.

vnzla81
05-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Looks like Teague got hurt the same way Rondo did, that looked bad.

BlueNGold
05-12-2011, 09:36 PM
I had thought for awhile that Derrick Rose was overrated. Always thought DWade was the better player. I don't think that anymore. The Chicago-Miami series is going to be interesting.

vnzla81
05-12-2011, 09:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/ksmith_fishin12_450_080513.jpg

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/gonefishing.2010/images/gonefishing_hawks_550x550.jpg

DrFife
05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Atlanta's totally limp ending (for the second year in a row) is both disturbing and disheartening. I'd be surprised if they don't start wheeling & dealing.

15th parallel
05-12-2011, 10:59 PM
That team really looked so bad, in front of their home crowd. Maybe they just got exhausted after exerting all of their effort beating Dwight and the Magic, and keeping up with Chicago up to this point. But they certainly need to address their inconsistent offense.

imawhat
05-12-2011, 11:50 PM
The Pacers are looking better by the day. Atlanta dismantled Orlando before the Bulls spanked them. I wouldn't be shocked, however, if Miami swept Chicago. The series could go either way.

BillS
05-13-2011, 11:43 AM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/gonefishing.2010/images/gonefishing_hawks_550x550.jpg

Oh, man, a Sweetwater T-Shirt sighting. I miss me some Sweetwater.

Don't miss anything else about Atlanta (well, except my kids and grandkids), but I wish I could get Sweetwater 420 up here.

imawhat
05-15-2011, 08:42 PM
I would love to have Gibson on the Pacers.

I'm curious about this, since you're a defensive guy. Why do you want Gibson on the Pacers?

Cactus Jax
05-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I guess it would be best to talk about Atlanta's postseason here, but even though it kind of needed to be done, I think they'll really regret trading Jordan Crawford as he could've essentially replaced Jamal Crawford, now they'll have to pay big money to resign him or let him go and really be down another scorer.

There's no doubt imo that Josh Smith is gone regardless, I don't know where but he needs a change of scenary and there are pleanty of teams that will give him that change and he's their most tradeable asset, noone wants Joe Johnson and they're trying to keep Horford.