PDA

View Full Version : TJ left with class (More thanks from Pacers)

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
tj_ford TJ Ford
by Born_Ready6
I would like thanks everyone within the Pacers organization from top to bottom. Also the fans & city of Indianapolis

:cry:

Really wish things would have worked out better for you man, but you'll land somewhere

Thanks for evreything you did for the city, community and Pacers

:)

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 10:19 PM
Hoya2aPacer Roy Hibbert
I just wanna thank everyone in Indy for supporting us. U guys r real pacer fans. I esp wanna thank Area55 for what u guy brought this year!27 Apr

More love from Pacer players

idioteque
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I love TJ. I hope he gets a 3 year deal in Miami and is able to lounge on South Beach in between two hot Cuban babes.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 10:28 PM
THANS50 Tyler Hansbrough
Thanks to all the Pacer fans for the support this year looking forward to the future
10 hours ago

More love from Pacer players

Young
04-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I didn't realize until the last year or so just how classy of a person TJ is. He really is one of the good guys of the league. I don't think he fits into the Pacers future but I hope TJ lands in a great situation. He deserves it. The guy is nothing but a class act. His attitude through everything (from what I have seen) has been nothing short of professional.

Thank YOU TJ!

ECKrueger
04-28-2011, 11:40 PM
I agree, I will be rooting for TJ where ever he goes next. Miami might be a good spot for him.

Trader Joe
04-29-2011, 12:03 AM
TJ's just another example of the culture change around here. I appreciate how he carried himself. A lot of young guys could learn from him.

Jared Sullinger
04-29-2011, 12:16 AM
I've always liked T.J. and thought he was a much better player than people around here gave him credit for. I think he's good enough and young enough (just turned 28) to where some team will throw an MLE offer at him and make him their starting point guard.

clownskull
04-29-2011, 12:33 AM
best of luck to tj in finding himself a good situation in which he can succeed. too bad he couldn't make it work here but, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Constellations
04-29-2011, 12:52 AM
This makes me get even more respect for T.J. and I had alot to begin with. He stayed in shape, showed up to practice, and just stayed prepared as a professional during what I believe was a 36 inactive run. Much Love T.J.

P.S. If anybody was at the last home game with Knicks. T.J. checked in and got a huge ovation from the crowd. He really deserved and needed that. Thank you Pacer fans for doing that for him, because he respects that more than we will ever know.

Diamond Dave
04-29-2011, 01:07 AM
Consumate professional. TJ Ford that is. I was never a fan of his basketball play, but I will say that I am a huge fan of how he carries himself as a man. A true class act.

smj887
04-29-2011, 01:31 AM
This makes me get even more respect for T.J. and I had alot to begin with. He stayed in shape, showed up to practice, and just stayed prepared as a professional during what I believe was a 36 inactive run. Much Love T.J.

P.S. If anybody was at the last home game with Knicks. T.J. checked in and got a huge ovation from the crowd. He really deserved and needed that. Thank you Pacer fans for doing that for him, because he respects that more than we will ever know.

I was just about to mention that, he got a really nice applause. He deserved it.

CooperManning
04-29-2011, 02:46 AM
I've always liked T.J. and thought he was a much better player than people around here gave him credit for. I think he's good enough and young enough (just turned 28) to where some team will throw an MLE offer at him and make him their starting point guard.

If anyone gives him the MLE, it'll be the worst move of their summer.

That said, I hope TJ goes to a winning team where he can get good backup minutes.

Haywoode Workman
04-29-2011, 03:16 AM

wow i didn't know that. thats really, really cool. props to pacers fans, i wouldn't expect that to happen.

Constellations
04-29-2011, 03:21 AM
wow i didn't know that. thats really, really cool. props to pacers fans, i wouldn't expect that to happen.

Wish I had better seats that night, but I was just glad to be there. Wish we had a better ending lol. But still happy about the T.J. ovation.

15th parallel
04-29-2011, 04:31 AM
If anyone gives him the MLE, it'll be the worst move of their summer.

That said, I hope TJ goes to a winning team where he can get good backup minutes.

I believe not. Before coming here in Indiana he is a key PG for the Raptors. Also in his 1st season as a Pacer, he was also a decent PG (at least in scoring). I believe he still has the tools, he just needs to be in a system that does not need PGs to be pass-first, or half-court sets that involves slashing inside the paint (think Spurs).

Brinocerous
04-29-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm not a frequent poster, but I will crawl out from under my rock to give props to TJ Ford.

This man has been the poster child for professionalism in one of the most difficult stretches, playing for one of the most frustrating coaches in recent memory. You're a starter. No wait, you're third string. Go take the first open look you can get. No wait, I mean use your speed to drive half of the lane and dish it. No wait, take it to the hole. No, not like that. You're on the pine for the next three months.
How you can remain motivated enough to keep yourself in NBA shape and ready to go on a moments notice is beyond me.

Here's to you TJ Ford. Your picture should be in the dictionary behind the words Professional Basketball Player.

CooperManning
04-29-2011, 10:01 AM
I believe not. Before coming here in Indiana he is a key PG for the Raptors. Also in his 1st season as a Pacer, he was also a decent PG (at least in scoring). I believe he still has the tools, he just needs to be in a system that does not need PGs to be pass-first, or half-court sets that involves slashing inside the paint (think Spurs).

Yeah, but you just don't have to give him the MLE. That's a big chunk.

CooperManning
04-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Double post

Kid Minneapolis
04-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I'll go out on a limb at the possible ire of posters as saying that I think the reason TJ Ford was disliked as a player for this team was largely due to Jim O'Brien's system. Ford isn't that bad of a PG if used in the proper way, but that system was just awful for him. I actually think Vogel's system would be a big upgrade for him. I really think we could've seen a different TJ Ford had he fit the system better for the last few years.

And ya... he was a complete trooper about it. Never a negative peep out of him... well... not publically, anyway.

BillS
04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll go out on a limb at the possible ire of posters as saying that I think the reason TJ Ford was disliked as a player for this team was largely due to Jim O'Brien's system. Ford isn't that bad of a PG if used in the proper way, but that system was just awful for him. I actually think Vogel's system would be a big upgrade for him. I really think we could've seen a different TJ Ford had he fit the system better for the last few years.

I don't know why I'm starting this, but I don't think JOB's system was for the point guard to hold the ball, drive into the lane, run into the defender, leap into the air, and turn the ball over.

If holding the ball was JOB's system, why was there so much criticism that DC couldn't flourish in a system where the PG never was allowed to hold the ball?

Can't have both...

Kid Minneapolis
04-29-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't know why I'm starting this, but I don't think JOB's system was for the point guard to hold the ball, drive into the lane, run into the defender, leap into the air, and turn the ball over.

If holding the ball was JOB's system, why was there so much criticism that DC couldn't flourish in a system where the PG never was allowed to hold the ball?

Isn't that proving my point? Collison struggled in JOB's system, too.

JOB's system was not PG-friendly, there's a lot of things that happen in the half-court that can stimy a PG's play if the system is like JOB's, that's why. Of course you notice Ford having little success in a system that doesn't fit his play, that's the only perspective you have. Watching Ford play, it's clear that he needs a more ball-dominant role, with other motions going on with the other players, and set plays, maybe even run for him to open up the paint. He was a square getting jammed into a round hole. When that happens, you see "point guard to hold the ball, drive into the lane, run into the defender, leap into the air, and turn the ball over". The fact that he tried to penetrate (but ultimately failed) is *exactly* what this team needed to do, and JOB's system stimied... JOB's system of trying to free up outside shooters and not clearing any room in the paint didn't get people out of the way or move defenders away from the paint and just clogged things up when Ford drove. The more I look back on JOB's system, the more I shake my head...

Mackey_Rose
04-29-2011, 11:25 AM
No question that TJ Ford is a class guy. He handled himself better than I would have in that situation.

But anybody that thinks he's going to get a full MLE and, especially, a starting job is nucking futs.

DrFife
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
How you can remain motivated enough to keep yourself in NBA shape and ready to go on a moments notice is beyond me.

I can think of 8.5 million reasons.

(But yes, standing ovation to T.J.)

Brinocerous
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I can think of 8.5 million reasons.

Well played, sir.

BillS
04-29-2011, 01:32 PM
Isn't that proving my point? Collison struggled in JOB's system, too.

Collison struggled supposedly because he was told to pass the ball quickly, and he should have been allowed to handle the ball more and do more with it himself.

Ford struggled because he did not pass the ball quickly and tried to initiate everything himself, which he was not skilled enough to do.

I'm not arguing that JOBs system was somehow good for PGs, I'm just saying that if two PGs struggle in opposite ways then you can't blame everything on the system.

TJ has flaws that either HE has to play away from or that other players have to cover for. Even under JOB you would get days of "good" TJ and days of "bad" TJ - did the system change day to day? I think not.

Trader Joe
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
The real stunning thing is that it seemed many just had the realization that TJ was a class individual and a hard worker this season. Go watch some of his rehab...holy cow, talk about hard work and dedication.

BornReady
04-29-2011, 01:41 PM
The real stunning thing is that it seemed many just had the realization that TJ was a class individual and a hard worker this season. Go watch some of his rehab...holy cow, talk about hard work and dedication.

mmm really? I think we all knew that :/ its been said MANY times...

Hicks
04-29-2011, 01:43 PM
TJ and DC are both pick and roll, ball dominant guards. That neither worked well with O'Brien's system is not shocking. The difference between the two is that most of us think more highly of DC's abilities than we do of TJ's.

hoosierguy
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Not to demean TJ's character, but he got paid $8.5 million to do basically nothing this season. The man is set for life financially at the age of 28.

He should be thankful to the Pacers.

MrSparko
04-29-2011, 10:53 PM
What people "should" do doesn't stop human nature. Maybe its just one of those sad tales where when enough behave wrongly people are just grateful when they see someone acting the way they should.

Indra
05-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Not to demean TJ's character, but he got paid $8.5 million to do basically nothing this season. The man is set for life financially at the age of 28.

Money isn't everything to some people. Sure, it makes life a little easier, but it doesn't make being disrespected, humiliated, and emasculated in front of your friends, family, and peers any easier to take. Not for a real man, at least.

TJ Ford took it on the chin for a long time here, and turned the other cheek every time.

I have to give him props for being a complete class act and carrying himself in a way that is a true representation of what a role model should be. He may have lost his role in the rotation, but he can walk out of Indy with his head held high.

Ozwalt72
05-02-2011, 09:36 AM

He should be thankful to the Toronto Raptors regime at the time he signed his extension. The pacers were obligated to pay him. He was going to get it regardless of who it came from.