View Full Version : Simon Responds to Bird's Presser

Swish
04-28-2011, 04:54 PM
This comes from WTHR sports guy Rich Nye via Facebook:

Pacers owner Herb Simon told me he hopes Larry Bird will stay on as
team president. Simon wants to meet with Bird about future as soon as
possible.

Simon says he's "sort of disappointed" that Bird would question
whether the team owner is willing to spend money on free agents this summer. Simon says he has no problem spending up to the luxury tax threshold on player salaries.

Thumbs up on both statements!

naptownmenace
04-28-2011, 05:01 PM
Good to hear. I think Bird will be back. I think Bird will be too intrigued in the possibilities of building this team to walk away now.

He's finally getting some good press and has the Pacers back on the way up. He also has for the first time ever, money to go after free agency and summer trades aggressively.

KingGeorge
04-28-2011, 05:05 PM
This is good news. I will be surprised if Bird decides to leave.

Larry Staverman
04-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Good News!!

Also Kudos to Nye for actually taking the next step and going out and getting the rest of the story. Reporting these days has turned into stenography for most of these guys. He understands what reporting is all about.

Swish
04-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I LOVE Rich Nye. He's my favorite sports guy, local or national. Dude doesn't get enough credit for all he does. He can do any angle from serious to flat goofy and do it well.

Bball
04-28-2011, 06:01 PM
I LOVE Rich Nye. He's my favorite sports guy, local or national. Dude doesn't get enough credit for all he does. He can do any angle from serious to flat goofy and do it well.

I hadn't really thought of that... but now that you mention it... he does do a good job and somehow seems to do it without getting in the way of the story.

owl
04-28-2011, 06:07 PM
His brother Bill does a pretty nice science show ;-)

Wilk39
04-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Great to see both statements, I'm just hoping we don't get too anxious this summer. This team still needs a year or two to grow and oversigning for a player who is not going to turn us into contenders (David West, Carl Landry) would do more harm than good.

BillS
04-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Also Kudos to Nye for actually taking the next step and going out and getting the rest of the story. Reporting these days has turned into stenography for most of these guys. He understands what reporting is all about.

Not just thanking but quoting for emphasis. This is the only way to stop the rampant rabbit of reaction from leaving little jellybeans all over the forum :eek:

BringJackBack
04-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Yes. Great, great news. Both the Bird and, most importantly by far, Simon are committed to winning.

The way that Bird was talking of Simon had me worried that maybe Herb wasn't all that committed to the franchise. Which would have been catastrophic to our rebuilding, to say the least.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 06:34 PM
I really really hope that the new CBA lowers the salary cap significantly

That will give us a lot more pull because teams will suddenly need to shed payroll, and we could provide cap relief while aquiring someone of talent we couldnt get in this years FA class

Right now only Sacramento has more cap room than us, and when I was in the Air Force I was stationed near Sacremento

No offense to anyone from there/living there but

It makes Naptown look like NYC

Sac sucks the sweat off a dead mans balls

meaning with all our money, and especially if they lower the tax, I think I could see players chosing Nap over Sactown

Kegboy
04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
Anybody else feel Bird was using the media to put Simon on the spot, get him on the record in regards to spending money? Bird could be taking a page out of Painter's playbook.

[edit] Oh, and I've always liked Rich Nye.

Tom White
04-28-2011, 06:35 PM
His brother Bill does a pretty nice science show ;-)

His uncle Louie was a good comedian, too!

Probably too old a reference for many of you.

Larry Staverman
04-28-2011, 06:36 PM
The way that Bird was talking of Simon had me worried that maybe Herb wasn't all that committed to the franchise. Which would have been catastrophic to our rebuilding, to say the least.

You have to love the fact that Bird has the balls to call out the owner (who is also his boss) and force him to lay his cards on the table.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 06:39 PM
You have to love the fact that Bird has the balls to call out the owner (who is also his boss) and force him to lay his cards on the table.

I appreciate that, but not to tough to "call out your boss" when your worth millions of dollars

:)

rabid
04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
when I was in the Air Force I was stationed near Sacremento

meaning with all our money, and especially if they lower the tax, I think I could see players chosing Nap over Sactown

How long ago was that? Because last time I was in Sacramento, it was 90 minutes from downtown San Francisco, and 2 hours from Lake Tahoe. Also absolute gorgeous countryside. Yeah the city itself is nothing special, but it's not a dump. Indy has some nice advantages but it's nothing lik you're making it sound.

I lived in and around Indiana for 30+ years, including 10+ years in Indy, and I've lived in the Bay Area now for 5 years, so I think I have a good frame of reference here. And I think it's a wash actually, slight advantage to Sactown.

graphic-er
04-28-2011, 08:57 PM
We have one advantage over Sacto, and thats the uncertainly of whether they will actually be playing in Sacto over the next few season. Franchise relocation is a very long and drawn out process. I'm not surprised to see the Local Mayor come up with a pie in the sky plan to keep the team, but you have to question the ability to get it done.

Oh yeah and after today's presser, I absolutely love Larry Bird.

ilive4sports
04-28-2011, 09:01 PM

That will give us a lot more pull because teams will suddenly need to shed payroll, and we could provide cap relief while aquiring someone of talent we couldnt get in this years FA class

Right now only Sacramento has more cap room than us, and when I was in the Air Force I was stationed near Sacremento

How long ago was that? Sacramento isn't a big bustling city with a huge night life, but there is a nice downtown scene and its close to San Fran and Tahoe. I live just north of Sac and it is a great area. Everything you could want or need is close.

Plus the weather is way better than Indy.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
How long ago was that? Because last time I was in Sacramento, it was 90 minutes from downtown San Francisco, and 2 hours from Lake Tahoe. Also absolute gorgeous countryside. Yeah the city itself is nothing special, but it's not a dump. Indy has some nice advantages but it's nothing lik you're making it sound.

I lived in and around Indiana for 30+ years, including 10+ years in Indy, and I've lived in the Bay Area now for 5 years, so I think I have a good frame of reference here. And I think it's a wash actually, slight advantage to Sactown.

LOL,

Ok Bro Im aging myself but 1990

:blush:

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
How long ago was that? Sacramento isn't a big bustling city with a huge night life, but there is a nice downtown scene and its close to San Fran and Tahoe. I live just north of Sac and it is a great area. Everything you could want or need is close.

Plus the weather is way better than Indy.

Why do they call it CowTown ?

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

Oh I loved San Fran/Oakland and I agree but thats not Sac

Swish
04-28-2011, 10:09 PM
They have anything like this:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/271/20090128indianapolissno.jpg

in Sacramento? No? Then advantage Cowtown.

ilive4sports
04-28-2011, 10:30 PM

No idea, I don't see any cows here... Honestly I haven't heard anyone call it that. And 1990 was a long time ago man. Certainly things have changed quite a bit since then.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 10:31 PM
They have anything like this:

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/271/20090128indianapolissno.jpg

in Sacramento? No? Then advantage Cowtown.

Some people enjoy the winter and change of seasons

If you like snowmobiling, skiing, other winter sports

advantage Naptown!

Our downtown's better too
:cool:

Swish
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
LOL. There is no snowmobiling or skiing here in Indy. And if they're into that, there are actual mountains just a short drive away from Sacramento. :)

MyFavMartin
04-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I wonder what potential FAs think of Vogel and whether that might come into consideration as to whether to remove the interim label or go after a veteran coach.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
No idea, I don't see any cows here... Honestly I haven't heard anyone call it that. And 1990 was a long time ago man. Certainly things have changed quite a bit since then.

LOL

I know, it was my first station in the Air Force, I was 18

I still had fun while I was there, we used to get an extra military ID , then we would use a razor to cut the last number of our year so it made us 21.

We would hit the clubs, sometime we got in sometime we didnt, but I did have fun. I think what I didnt like at the time was Sac was the west coast style of cities were they are spread out and not congested like be east and mid west

TinManJoshua
04-28-2011, 10:43 PM

Chris Webber.

rabid
04-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh I loved San Fran/Oakland and I agree but thats not Sac

I guess the point I was really trying to make is that there is not going to be an enormous difference between Indy and Sacramento in terms of free agents wanting to go there, based on the quality of city. They are both small markets with some good things to offer. Pros and cons to either place.

You made it sound like people would run screaming to Indy to avoid having to go to Sacramento, which is just not an accurate assessment IMO..

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
I guess the point I was really trying to make is that there is not going to be an enormous difference between Indy and Sacramento in terms of free agents wanting to go there, based on the quality of city. They are both small markets with some good things to offer. Pros and cons to either place.

You made it sound like people would run screaming to Indy to avoid having to go to Sacramento, which is just not an accurate assessment IMO..

No doubt

Im sure if you took a pool of NBA players and asked would they rather live in Sac or Nap it would be fairly close

Trader Joe
04-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Here's what Bird's conversation with Simon should be like about this summer and our impending cap space

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mBS0OWGUidc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Constellations
04-29-2011, 12:31 AM

That's pretty rough really.

IndyPacer
04-29-2011, 04:18 AM

I lived in Davis, CA, next door to Sacramento for awhile, and you're claims seem pretty questionable to me. I was pretty happy with my time in that area with the available small, medium, and large city experiences (Davis, Sac, and SF, respectively), especially with trips to the Bay area on the weekends. The Bay area shames Indy in a wide variety of ways. I live just outside of Indianapolis now and am not saying it's a bad city, but it's certainly not San Francisco. I was particularly fond of the universities and employment opportunities in that region, especially Cal, Stanford, UCSF, and UC-Davis and strongly considered staying long-term. I still think about it occasionally. Great hospitals and clinics. It's a good place to be for my field of interest and a great place in general.

Regarding NBA players specifically, that's going to vary somewhat by personal preference, but regardless Sacramento isn't that bad of a place to be.

HickeyS2000
04-29-2011, 09:28 AM
I live just north of Sac and it is a great area. Everything you could want or need is close.

:wave: I just bought some land in the foothills of Oroville CA.

And to everyone that questions, there is a reason I'm moving to the Sacramento area from Indianapolis. Sacramento area >>>> Indy area.

Swish
04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
k, bye

Justin Tyme
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Great to see both statements, I'm just hoping we don't get too anxious this summer. This team still needs a year or two to grow and oversigning for a player who is not going to turn us into contenders (David West, Carl Landry) would do more harm than good.

Landry isn't going to command the type salary West will. He "might" get Foster type salary of 6 mil, maybe less. That sure isn't going to be oversigning, and I don't see getting Landry as more harm than good.

Is Landry the answer to the PF position, maybe not, but signing him wouldn't be the ruination of the Pacers anymore than Bird giving Foster 12.6 mil for the last 2 years.

hoosierguy
04-29-2011, 10:57 PM
The Pacers play in a nicer arena and are a much better team than the Kings.

That alone makes Indiana far more attractive than Sacramento.

This is the jet age- NBA players can hop on a plane and be in the mountains or on a beach in a couple of hours no matter what team they play for.

vnzla81
04-29-2011, 11:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6450849

Bird is in the final year of his contract and owner Herb Simon said Friday that they will meet in the next 10 days to discuss Bird's status. Either they will agree on an extension, or the franchise will part ways with one of the state's greatest hoops heroes.

Whiskeyjim
04-30-2011, 04:38 PM
You have to love the fact that Bird has the balls to call out the owner (who is also his boss) and force him to lay his cards on the table.I don't get this statement. I believe it either signals internal confusion and argument within the Pacer management, or Bird already knew the owner's position and just publically stumbled. You take your pick.

This statement, along with O'Brien's continued disparaging comments over an extended period of time, which I would view as an executive as totally unacceptable, tell me that the Pacer management team could do with some basic management and communication mentoring.

Good teams speak with one supportive voice, not because they don't disagree, but because they have done the hard work necessary to get aligned.

Bird's statement, especially in light of the owner's response, was mickey-mouse and childish. It didn't take any balls to say it because it took no thought at all.

UPDATE: No evidence of internal disagreement. Just Bird being an amateur (http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2011/04/28/simon-is-under-the-bus-and-bird-is-driving-it/) and unnecessarily throwing his owner under the bus.

Larry Staverman
04-30-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't get this statement. I believe it either signals internal confusion and argument within the Pacer management, or Bird already knew the owner's position and just publically stumbled. You take your pick.

This statement, along with O'Brien's continued disparaging comments over an extended period of time, which I would view as an executive as totally unacceptable, tell me that the Pacer management team could do with some basic management and communication mentoring.

Good teams speak with one supportive voice, not because they don't disagree, but because they have done the hard work necessary to get aligned.

Bird's statement, especially in light of the owner's response, was mickey-mouse and childish. It didn't take any balls to say it because it took no thought at all.

UPDATE: No evidence of internal disagreement. Just Bird being an amateur (http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/2011/04/28/simon-is-under-the-bus-and-bird-is-driving-it/) and unnecessarily throwing his owner under the bus.

I took Bird's statements at the presser to mean he had spoken to Simon and that he wasn't sure what the owner wanted to do and they would get together in a couple weeks to discuss.

In the mean time Vogel, the team, the fans and Bird are left hanging. Bird says he wants to come back and be able interview coaches and hire one, prepare for the draft, start exploring trades and know that he can spend money to improve the team.

Simon wanted to do it on his time frame but Bird was saying let cut to the chase NOW so I can get on with things. If you want me as GM you gotta spend the money to let me build the team!

Simon seemed to come around quickly based on his comments later that day to Rich Nye. Whether you agree with the way Bird handled it or not it did take balls to throw your billionaire boss under the bus before you have a new deal.

LA_Confidential
04-30-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't get this statement. I believe it either signals internal confusion and argument within the Pacer management, or Bird already knew the owner's position and just publically stumbled. You take your pick.

What I took from Bird's presser was something like "Ok boss, our future is upon us. Are we gonna be mediocre or are we gonna do what we have to do to be great? I know what we need and I know who I want."

I agree 100% with Larry. We've got resources now. We need to make the most out of them.

croz24
05-01-2011, 08:59 PM
god i hope we don't spend money up to the luxury tax on free agents THIS summer. huge mistake that would be. nobody worth the money this year.

speakout4
05-01-2011, 09:06 PM
:wave: I just bought some land in the foothills of Oroville CA.

And to everyone that questions, there is a reason I'm moving to the Sacramento area from Indianapolis. Sacramento area >>>> Indy area.
Especially in Jan., Feb. and March. Summer just the opposite.