PDA

View Full Version : Hunger?

picasso
04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
Darren Collison wrote:

You will see us back in the playoffs next year. But now it's time for me to improve on my skills this off season. Got things to work on!!

Saw this on his Twitter page.

This is what i love to see. Even tho we lost we have that hunger and motivation. They hit another gear and they took their game to another level. Callison played very well in this series. Hopefully with a year under this system and getting to build chemistry with our players he will excel.

I could see him getting 17-17 ppg with 7-8 assist per game.

Is there any other Pacers that have said something similar?

Btw, I'm new and I love PD. Been reading it for over 1-2 now.

ilive4sports
04-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Not sure if I have read any other Pacers saying stuff like that, but I think they all are thinking it. Bird said that he realized after his first trip to the playoffs, he had a lot of work to do to get better. The good thing about our guys is they seem willing to put the work in. Roy is a hard worker. I hope he strengthens his legs and core so he doesn't get pushed off the block. Paul George has a great work ethic. I think we will see him improve a lot too. Collison is a competitor and going into year three, expectations will be high. Hansbrough is a workhorse that never quits. These guys know what they need to do to get better and I think they will do it.

picasso
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Good stuff man. We need that athletic forward tho. We need to add much needed athleticism either to the forward or Center. Bird has been money on draft, and in Him I trust. Hopefully they do play to expectation and don't end up like the bobcats or Warriors.

BringJackBack
04-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Brandon Rush also told DC to take a week off. DC said no.

IamD2C Darren Collison
Worst part now packing, heading back to cali to train no days off...
4 hours ago

IamThaKing25 Brandon Rush
@IamD2C bro take a week off
4 hours ago

IamD2C Darren Collison
@IamThaKing25 2 days that's it..
4 hours ago

IamD2C Darren Collison
At the airport headed to cali. I hope I don't miss this flight.
24 minutes ago

With a bum ankle. Dude has the work ethic. I feel good about him in our future.

PS- Isn't that the story of Brandon's career? I don't want him here anymore at all.

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 06:11 PM
Ya, heaven forbid players take a week off after the season.

BringJackBack
04-27-2011, 06:13 PM
Ya, heaven forbid players take a week off after the season.

Not what I am saying or implying here...i am applauding DC not taking any time off.

Rush won't even be on the team next year so I couldn't care less what he's up to this summer.

QuickRelease
04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Not what I am saying or implying here...i am applauding DC not taking any time off.

Rush won't even be on the team next year so I couldn't care less what he's up to this summer.
Is it a given that Rush won't be here?

BringJackBack
04-27-2011, 07:49 PM
If it's not than something is wrong with the FO. :laugh:

QuickRelease
04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
As a situational player, he's ok. Probably best as 6th-8th man for his role. Wouldn't view him as an answer at the 2. I can understand your point of view though, as they have tried to trade him twice already.

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't get why most every one is so worried about getting rid of Rush. No, he has not lived up to potential really, or been overly impressive. He is a decent guard, and good defender off the bench though. It's not like we are going to get any thing for him any way. I wouldn't complain if we traded him, but I don't see the point is just dumping him.

spazzxb
04-27-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't get why most every one is so worried about getting rid of Rush.

:haterade:,thats why

its not worth it my friend, and its a small minority, especially now.

QuickRelease
04-27-2011, 07:58 PM
But I think it's good for the players to get away a bit and process things. Recharge, and then charge!

Ozwalt72
04-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Good to see by Collison, understandable sentiment by Rush. Rush is looking out for Collison's best interest, but hey, you aren't getting in the way of the kid's work ethic.

Collison's stats might not look much better next year, but I see him being a better player for us.

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 08:06 PM
its not worth it my friend, and its a small minority, especially now.

I suppose not. I personally am quite alright with having him on the bench.

spazzxb
04-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I suppose not. I personally am quite alright with having him on the bench.

Theres no reason to want him off the team he's a good backup. I was just letting you know arguing with BJB was a waste of your time.

BringJackBack
04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Yes, and Jim O'Brien is going to get us to play .500 ball by March.

Rush averaged 2.3 PPG in the Playoffs and played the second worst wing defense (Behind Mike) on the team. That's not decent and he doesn't strive to get better. He's not a good backup

Makes me thankful that we have Paul George, DC, Roy, and Tyler that strive to get better.

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 10:23 PM
You were right Spazz.

imbtyler
04-27-2011, 10:27 PM

Given the league's anti-pot-during-the-season policy, I'd say probably smoking some weed and playing video games.

LA_Confidential
04-27-2011, 10:33 PM
Im more confident in Rush's 3 point shooting than anyone else on the team. Danny included. Dump Dunleavy, sign Stuckey, draft Singleton.

CooperManning
04-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Didn't we pick up Rush's option for next year? I could be wrong...

I don't see any reason to get rid of him now. He has no trade value and at worst he can be a 4th or 5th wing. I doubt we'll have to make room on the roster for him. Assuming TJ, Mike, Josh, and Solo aren't back we can still draft two rookies and have two free spots for free agents. And who knows if we'll cut Lance or if Jeff will retire.

If Rush still hasn't progressed next year he'll get 7 minutes a game or be inactive and we'll cut him loose after the season. If he makes an unexpected leap, great we still have him. I see no downside, other the increasingly nagging realization that we wasted a lottery pick. But getting rid of him a year early isn't going to change that.

Haywoode Workman
04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Given the league's anti-pot-during-the-season policy, I'd say probably smoking some weed and playing video games.

yea, because anyone that ever smokes weed does it nonstop, all day, everyday. i bet that's all he's thought about all season.

i'm sure that's how he made it to the nba: weed, video games, and natural talent

Eleazar
04-27-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't get why most every one is so worried about getting rid of Rush. No, he has not lived up to potential really, or been overly impressive. He is a decent guard, and good defender off the bench though. It's not like we are going to get any thing for him any way. I wouldn't complain if we traded him, but I don't see the point is just dumping him.

I don't either, I thought he really grew towards the end once he finally found his role. He stopped doing what most people complained about him doing standing in the corner and not aggressive. In the playoffs he moved just as much as any wing, and was aggressive, sadly he just doesn't have the ball handling skills to be good at driving towards the basket. Honestly I believe that if he had gotten all of Dunleavy's minutes people would be thinking more highly of him right now.

Rush averaged 2.3 PPG in the Playoffs and played the second worst wing defense (Behind Mike) on the team. That's not decent and he doesn't strive to get better. He's not a good backup

You act like he played bad defense. First off don't act like Granger could have guarded Korver as well as Rush was able to, and I do believe Rush did guard Rose in game 5 and Rose wasn't able to do much against him. If anything that just shows how strong our wing defenders are than it is a knock against Rush. We have 4 really good defenders with George, Rush, Jones, and Granger. We have a good group of wing players. George may not be the SG we want him to be yet but he will get there, everyone knows Granger, and Jones and Rush are both good bench players for 15 to 20 minutes a game.

PS In games the games he played 18 minutes he averaged 7 points on over 60% shooting.

Constellations
04-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Im more confident in Rush's 3 point shooting than anyone else on the team. Danny included. Dump Dunleavy, sign Stuckey, draft Singleton.

Worst joke ever.

ChristianDudley
04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
If it's not than something is wrong with the FO. :laugh:

Much worse was said about T.J. Ford, but hey, he was still in uniform during Game 5 of the Playoff this week lol...You never know what will happen, though.

SMosley21
04-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Here I was thinking this was going to be a thread where I was going to be able to vent about my current hunger pangs.

http://ananaspuu.wippiespace.com/gif/DAMN.gif

DrFife
04-28-2011, 05:47 PM
(WARNING: Sunshine moment)

Imagine if Larry's message translates to:

"Look, I know BRush has been inconsistent, and therefore frustrating & disappointing, but a lot of it had to do with Jimmy not putting up with him and then us wanting to see what we had in Paul George. So I've told him what he needs to do by mid-summer to earn the starting SG spot. I think he can do it ... and if he does, I won't trade him, Paul will become our 6th man, and no matter what else we do, we'll still have one heck of a wing rotation."

Neither Mayo nor Jordan Crawford is a categorical upgrade over what Rush has shown he can be. (Iggy would be, and he has leadership cred, and his recent comments continue to make me wonder about his availability.)

Mackey_Rose
04-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Brandon Rush also told DC to take a week off. DC said no.

IamD2C Darren Collison
Worst part now packing, heading back to cali to train no days off...
4 hours ago

IamThaKing25 Brandon Rush
@IamD2C bro take a week off
4 hours ago

IamD2C Darren Collison
@IamThaKing25 2 days that's it..
4 hours ago

IamD2C Darren Collison
At the airport headed to cali. I hope I don't miss this flight.
24 minutes ago

With a bum ankle. Dude has the work ethic. I feel good about him in our future.

PS- Isn't that the story of Brandon's career? I don't want him here anymore at all.

It blows my mind how seriously people take a player's Twitter account.

Sookie
04-29-2011, 01:01 PM
It blows my mind how seriously people take a player's Twitter account.

Also, DC SHOULD take a week off.

He's played a long season, and he's got a hurt ankle. It's great to have players that love the game, but they need to recognize, that even at a young age, that their body is not invincible, and it will break down if not given a break.

Mackey_Rose
04-29-2011, 01:11 PM

He's played a long season, and he's got a hurt ankle. It's great to have players that love the game, but they need to recognize, that even at a young age, that their body is not invincible, and it will break down if not given a break.

I said that meaning both ways.

You're right DC should take a week off. Hell, he probably is taking a week off, but he knows that he can post something like that and fans will think "this guy has the work ethic, I feel good about our future with him."

It might be 100% true everything they post. It also might be a PR move. Either way, while Twitter is incredibly entertaining, I am always puzzled why so many people take it as gospel.

Now, for some hyperbole for effect:

"This guy (think Magnum Rolle) tweets all the time! He's awesome! He loves this city, this team, this job! Sign him long term, he'll grow."

"This guy tweets (think B. Rush) about video games and shoes. He's a bum. He's just stealing money. Find someone who wants to be here and let him go smoke pot and murk fools in Call of Duty."

Hicks
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
I said that meaning both ways.

You're right DC should take a week off. Hell, he probably is taking a week off, but he knows that he can post something like that and fans will think "this guy has the work ethic, I feel good about our future with him."

It might be 100% true everything they post. It also might be a PR move. Either way, while Twitter is incredibly entertaining, I am always puzzled why so many people take it as gospel.

Do you believe that's how everyone thinks and acts? Like a politician?

Trader Joe
04-29-2011, 01:29 PM

I'd be pretty impressed if that was the case.

EDIT: Impressed is probably the wrong word here.

Mackey_Rose
04-29-2011, 01:56 PM

People in the public eye, like professional athletes? Yes, for the most part. Especially when it can have a positive and/or negative impact on their earning power.

If they aren't (like B. Rush) they would be smart to start heading more in that direction. Public perception is a very powerful tool in contract negotiations.

bphil
04-29-2011, 02:27 PM
yea, because anyone that ever smokes weed does it nonstop, all day, everyday. i bet that's all he's thought about all season.

i'm sure that's how he made it to the nba: weed, video games, and natural talent

C'mon now, you have to work awfully damn hard to get suspended for smoking weed in the NBA. There are estimates that around 60% of the players in the league get high, and I personally can't recall anyone else getting suspended other than Rush this season. The regulations are actually very lax (3 failed tests are required before you get your first 5-game suspension), so either the kid smokes a ton or else is just incredibly stupid...

Eleazar
04-30-2011, 04:34 PM

I agree. He needs to give his body a break, and if he wants to feel like he is doing something productive he should study game tape. Figure out what he needs to work on most, and it would help him to see and read situations better.

Shade
04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
I want to keep our starters. Practically our entire bench needs to be revamped, though.

Ideally, we'll upgrade the 4 and 2 and be able to bring Tyler and Paul off the bench to help there.

LA_Confidential
04-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Worst joke ever.

http://buzzedition.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/FAIL-Cats-We-shall-decide.jpg

Anthem
05-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Not sure if I have read any other Pacers saying stuff like that, but I think they all are thinking it. Bird said that he realized after his first trip to the playoffs, he had a lot of work to do to get better. The good thing about our guys is they seem willing to put the work in. Roy is a hard worker. I hope he strengthens his legs and core so he doesn't get pushed off the block. Paul George has a great work ethic. I think we will see him improve a lot too. Collison is a competitor and going into year three, expectations will be high. Hansbrough is a workhorse that never quits. These guys know what they need to do to get better and I think they will do it.
I think Granger's gonna have the hunger this offseason, as well. He's gotten the first taste of the playoffs, and by all indications he want more.

Will Galen
05-01-2011, 09:46 AM
I think Granger's gonna have the hunger this offseason, as well. He's gotten the first taste of the playoffs, and by all indications he want more.

This was Grangers 2nd playoffs.

Will Galen
05-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I want to keep our starters. Practically our entire bench needs to be revamped, though.

Ideally, we'll upgrade the 4 and 2 and be able to bring Tyler and Paul off the bench to help there.

Disagree! Ideally both Tyler and Paul turn into stars.

ksuttonjr76
05-01-2011, 11:44 AM

He was rookie that year. His mentality should be different this offseason, since he had a overall solid performance during the series. You never know. He might improve his game during the offseason, so he can become a better closer in late game situations.

McKeyFan
05-01-2011, 01:52 PM
sounds about right.

Anthem
05-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Not in this role.

xIndyFan
05-01-2011, 11:24 PM

basically i agree with shade. but it appears paul will start and the pacers will be looking for a combo type third wing. the money will be spent on a new PF. i think he is looking at Nene myself, but a real player. tyler has shown he can play, but is not long enough to be a starter.

Frostwolf
05-02-2011, 08:28 AM

ideally yes, but you wouldn't disagree we need an upgrade at those two positions the most at this point in time and in their development.

Will Galen
05-02-2011, 09:16 AM
ideally yes, but you wouldn't disagree we need an upgrade at those two positions the most at this point in time and in their development.

No I wouldn't disagree.

As Bird said in his press conference, we need someone that can defend the post and rebound. And we need someone better than Danny at getting his own shot.

Paul might develop into the scorer we need, and even Hans could develop as a scorer, but Hans isn't the post defender we need and never will be.

and someone that can get their own shot