PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Fire Keith Smart

PacersFan1991
04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6437202

graphic-er
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
THey want an inside presence. We should trade hibbert and Rush for Monta.

CableKC
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Not surprised here. They could certainly do better. The problem is that they still have Larry Riley in the FO.

CableKC
04-27-2011, 04:37 PM
And who'd be our inside presence if we trade Hibbert?

graphic-er
04-27-2011, 04:43 PM

wouldn't be losing much. We have to sign one this offseason anyways.

CableKC
04-27-2011, 04:47 PM
To be clear, we have to sign a backup Center...not a Starting Center.

idioteque
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Not really, we can sign any center we want (that is willing to come to Indy) whether back up or starter.

CableKC
04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Not really, we can sign any center we want (that is willing to come to Indy) whether back up or starter.
Yes, technically that is true. But it would be illogical to sign a Starting Quality Center when we already have one. Unless the Player is a Starting Quality PF that can play some Backup Center minutes ( which is my preference ), then moneywise...it would not make sense to spend $$$ on 2 Starting Centers that can only play so many minutes at that position.

graphic-er
04-27-2011, 05:01 PM

I'm sorry, but I'm not sold that Hibbert is starting quality. 7-2 centers don't blocked at the rim by 6-3 pgs.

HickeyS2000
04-27-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not sold that Hibbert is starting quality. 7-2 centers don't blocked at the rim by 6-3 pgs.

I'm sure Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, etc have all been blocked at the rim by a smaller player at one point in their careers. Rose is a freakish athlete. It happens. I'll say Roy did not show up at all this series, but I'm willing to give him more time.

CableKC
04-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm sure Shaq, Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson, etc have all been blocked at the rim by a smaller player at one point in their careers. Rose is a freakish athlete. It happens. I'll say Roy did not show up at all this series, but I'm willing to give him more time.
Shaq getting blocked by Nate Robinson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7BfIIwcfXQ

Marlin
04-27-2011, 06:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6437202

He had the whole fan base and part of the front office against him for playing Acie Law so much while keeping Curry on the bench way too long or even in crunch time. Burnt a lot of bridges that way, so it was pretty obvious he would be fired.

Doddage
04-27-2011, 06:39 PM
:picard:

d_c
04-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Not surprised here. They could certainly do better. The problem is that they still have Larry Riley in the FO.

The real problem is that (new owner) Joe Lacob shows more similarities to Chris Cohan than he does differences. I give him props for speaking with fans/media and being 100 time more accessible than Cohan ever was (he even answers fan e-mail personally). But that's about it.

I can understand firing Nellie, but I don't understand keeping everyone else when none of those people have been remotely as successful as Nellie in this league. I can't understand the rationale there.

Why is Robert Rowell still involved in the organization? Lacob downplays it and says he's just involved in marketing/sales and is no longer in basketball decisions, but that's no excuse to me. Selling tickets to this fanbase is easy. Rowell gets no credit from me there and the bottom line is that no successful organization would ever keep a moron like Rowell in any capacity. I can't imagine a franchise like the Lakers, Spurs or Celts keeping a guy like Rowell around.

Smart was hired at the last second when Lacob took control. He wasn't his first choice. He more or less had a 1 year audition and he didn't do enough to impress. But the coaching situation is far from the most important situation with the team right now.

I have yet to be convinced this new ownership is that much more committed to winning than the old one. Until they show me differently, it's all just lip service. Seems to me they are still an organization happy to make a profit living in the Lakers' world and always doing good business from an easy to please fanbase.

NapTonius Monk
04-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I'm not sold that Hibbert is starting quality. 7-2 centers don't blocked at the rim by 6-3 pgs.It's Derrick FREAKING Rose! I understand the frustration, but that was more about the greatness of Rose than it was about Hibbert. It's too soon to close the book on Roy. I promise you there will be some pretty willing GM's ready to take him aboard if we make him available.

Ozwalt72
04-27-2011, 07:57 PM

Erm, to be fair...Hibbert hasn't been much of an inside presence.

Okay, okay, defensively he's very solid. I'm still bitter about him going up so soft offensively though.

LA_Confidential
04-27-2011, 09:41 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uoghPts44Ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

graphic-er
04-27-2011, 10:14 PM
I just call em like i see em. I hope he proves me wrong next season. But if the deal came up Monta Ellis for Roy Hibbert and filler I'd do it and never look back.

Constellations
04-28-2011, 12:22 AM
I just call em like i see em. I hope he proves me wrong next season. But if the deal came up Monta Ellis for Roy Hibbert and filler I'd do it and never look back.

Joke?

Jared Sullinger
04-28-2011, 04:56 AM
Is Jerry Sloan The Next Head Coach Of The Golden State Warriors? (http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/is_jerry_sloan_the_next_head_coach_of_the_golden_s tate_warriors/4637297)

With the recent firing of head coach Keith Smart, the Golden State Warriors have a hole to fill and it appears Jerry Sloan is very high on their list.

"I'm hearing the Warriors are interested in prying Jerry Sloan out of retirement," reported Marcus Thompson III (http://twitter.com/gswscribe/status/63306590488510465) of the Contra Costa Times on Twitter.

Sloan, 69, resigned as head coach of the Utah Jazz in February, and has denied reports indicating he would be interested in coaching next season.

According to Sporting News:

Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan is denying a report from over the weekend that said he would consider opportunities to get back into coaching.

"I donít know where that came from," Sloan told the Salt Lake Tribune. "It sounds like somebody threw it out there. Ö But thatís not my game."

Does that mean Sloan is retired for good? You be the judge.