PDA

View Full Version : Danny Granger: What this playoff series did for his status in my mind

SMosley21
04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
I've always had somewhat of a love/hate thing for Granger's game. I was even up for trading him to New Jersey on draft night last season. He'll have nights where he's absolutely terrible, chucking shots left and right, turning the ball over 5-8 times in a game, and just downright sucking it up. Then he'll have those nights where he carries our team, shows aggression in getting to the basket or to the foul line, takes smart shots and rebounds his rear end off (for a SF).

What this playoff series did for me is make me realize that Danny Granger IS still that All-Star player that we saw a couple of seasons ago and that he isn't backing down from anything. Danny's play against the Bulls really won me over and has me thinking that he's truly a franchise guy. Yes he needs some help. Who doesn't? But we can become a very successful team with Danny as our best player, and I'm now convinced of that.

How many people are looking at Danny in a different light now? Surely, I'm not the only one.

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 11:28 AM
He looked real good, but we clearly need another player near his level at least.

yoadknux
04-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Danny isn't the "he can do it all" Lebron/MJ type, but I think he played really well (like the all-star MIP Granger) in the series.
A lot of people doubted Granger both on offense and defense - I think this series showed he can play at a very high level on both. He avged 21.6 points, with high FG% (48%), against the #1 defensive team and probably one of the best defenders (deng), while overall shutting him down on the other end.
He also leads the playoffs in Field Goals Made so far :laugh:
Still, even though I don't think he's the "ultimate explosive superstar" you want as a franchise player, we should be very happy he's with us, because he's a great player.
And we need to get him help, especially on offense, if we want to get wins.

Trader Joe
04-27-2011, 11:37 AM
He needs some help. And Roy ain't it.

ksuttonjr76
04-27-2011, 11:38 AM
He has help...Paul George.

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Deng averaged 18.6 pts, 6.2 boards, and 3.6 assists while shooting about 41% from the field and from 3. I would not say Danny played great D. It was alright, but he did not impress me a lot.

ThA HoyA
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Defensively?

SMosley21
04-27-2011, 11:41 AM

Once PG's offensive game develops that might be enough, but right now it's not close to being enough help.

Gamble1
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
I haven't waivered on Granger. He has seemed like a player who knew we were going to suck for awhile before we got better.

Now I think you will see him more motivated because there will be something to play for next season.

mb221
04-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Just a FYI for you... Granger only had more than 4 turnovers in 4 games this season. On the other hand he had 0 or 1 turnover in 29 games.

Lou Bega
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
He had a very good series. I want to mix him with another year of Tyler and Paul George, throw in Big Roy/DC and see what this roster is capable of. It is not time to blow the roof off the fieldhouse. I would like to see these guys play for 1 more whole season is all with Frank Vogel as their head coach.

Heisenberg
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
He was outstanding. He renewed my faith. Extremely encouraged he seems to have that "next playoff gear."

But that faith ain't gonna last if a month into next year he's back to chucking up offense killing transition 3s and playing same ole same ole. Seeing Danny with a fire in his belly absolutely reminded me that the kid can play ball. Just hope he keeps it burning.

Unclebuck
04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Remember Danny Granger's first season? At that time his defense was better than his offense, I wasn't sure he'd ever be capable of scoring near 20 pts per game. Well his offense really improved each and every year. I see no reason at all that George's offense cannot improve as much as Danny's has, and hopefully Paul will always keep his defensive mentality. So there is no reason to suggest that Paul won't be better than Danny in three seasons

DemonHunter1105
04-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Remember Danny Granger's first season? At that time his defense was better than his offense, I wasn't sure he'd ever be capable of scoring near 20 pts per game. Well his offense really improved each and every year. I see no reason at all that George's offense cannot improve as much as Danny's has, and hopefully Paul will always keep his defensive mentality. So there is no reason to suggest that Paul won't be better than Danny in three seasons

Well Danny's rapid progression is the exception not the rule. I am confident Paul will figure it out on offense but I am not too sure he can score 20ppg in this league. I could easily see him being better than Danny, but to say "there is no reason" he won't be better seems like a stretch to me.

Anthem
04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Just a FYI for you... Granger only had more than 4 turnovers in 4 games this season. On the other hand he had 0 or 1 turnover in 29 games.
Thanks for that... I was going to go look it up myself.

I've said several times that if we put the right pieces around him, I think Danny could be a better player and have a better career than Reggie Miller. Reggie couldn't carry a team all by himself (a la LaBron) but he could be successful as the best player on a very successful team.

This team needs another player at Danny's level. I hope we go get that guy this summer.

Anthem
04-27-2011, 02:26 PM
But that faith ain't gonna last if a month into next year he's back to chucking up offense killing transition 3s and playing same ole same ole. Seeing Danny with a fire in his belly absolutely reminded me that the kid can play ball. Just hope he keeps it burning.
I want to see what he does with a year under a coach that's not O'Brien.

Unclebuck
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Well Danny's rapid progression is the exception not the rule. I am confident Paul will figure it out on offense but I am not too sure he can score 20ppg in this league. I could easily see him being better than Danny, but to say "there is no reason" he won't be better seems like a stretch to me.

My only point is that a lot of the same things that are being said about George were the exact same things that were being said about Granger after his first season

Trader Joe
04-27-2011, 02:38 PM
My only point is that a lot of the same things that are being said about George were the exact same things that were being said about Granger after his first season

Their rookie years are incredibly similar, even down to the pretty solid (stellar in George's case) playoff debut.

graphic-er
04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Deng averaged 18.6 pts, 6.2 boards, and 3.6 assists while shooting about 41% from the field and from 3. I would not say Danny played great D. It was alright, but he did not impress me a lot.

Alot of Deng's points came against Dunleavy as well though.

Dr. Hibbert
04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Danny came to play no doubt. I just hope like hell that he gets more talent around him and he unlearns that terrible shot selection he picked up in the JOB offense.