PDA

View Full Version : Onto the draft?

I Love P
04-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Picking 15th. I think we should go for a big that can block shots. I like Tristan Thompson fron Texas.

Heisenberg
04-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Package it with Posey's expiring or another redundant position to take on a higher salaried player. That's option A and B for me.

Hoop
04-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Anyone available at 15 that has star potential, even if it's a reach ?

I'm feeling lucky!

LongTimePacerFan
04-27-2011, 01:27 AM
Package it with Posey's expiring or another redundant position to take on a higher salaried player. That's option A and B for me.

Sounds great, but I think you might be overvaluing the 15th pick.

As far as prospects go, I like Kenneth Faried. He plays like a slightly smaller Ben Wallace. In a draft that is short on shot blocking, board crashing, physical low post defenders, he fits that mold perfectly.

Doddage
04-27-2011, 01:44 AM

As far as prospects go, I like Kenneth Faried. He plays like a slightly smaller Ben Wallace. In a draft that is short on shot blocking, board crashing, physical low post defenders, he fits that mold perfectly.
He might rise up the draft board ahead of our pick. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened, anyway.

I Love P
04-27-2011, 01:51 AM
Here's our luck, Charlotte or Milwaukee wins the lottery. Where the last 5 years we've been. That would just be awesome. :eek:

rock747
04-27-2011, 01:52 AM
use the pick as trade bait if we can.

Taterhead
04-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Trade the pick or trade up for Brandon Knight.

I think we'll address our big man needs through a trade or free agency with a young veteran.

Isaac
04-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Here's our luck, Charlotte or Milwaukee wins the lottery. Where the last 5 years we've been. That would just be awesome. :eek:

Who cares? This is a weak draft and we are better for having played in the playoffs. New Jersey winning would be a bigger problem.

ndcoltsnpacers
04-27-2011, 02:44 AM

They can have it, I'll take what we had.

croz24
04-27-2011, 03:48 AM
i'm willing to deal it. but because there's hardly any star power in this draft, i'd go on the safe side with this pick if we keep it. my preferable options are in this order...

1- jimmer
2- johnson
3- faried
4- singleton
5- leonard

each of these players brings a certain quality to an nba team. the rest of their game may have some question marks, but these qualities will translate. since this is such a horrible draft on upside, i'd rather draft the sure thing. do we want 3pt shooting? mid range shooting? post defense? rebounding? perimeter defense? these guys bring that.

Constellations
04-27-2011, 04:02 AM
use the pick as trade bait if we can.

Agreed.

BringJackBack
04-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Trade the pick or take Jimmer.

Kaufman
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
The Jimmer Phenomenon: Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, J.J. Redick, and Adam Morrison all in one.

croz24
04-27-2011, 07:15 AM
The Jimmer Phenomenon: Steve Alford, Damon Bailey, J.J. Redick, and Adam Morrison all in one.

funny how you named only white players when in reality, jimmer is much closer to a steph curry than any of the players you listed...

also for every hyped white shooter that happened to not have a successful nba career, i can name you a mark price or scott skiles or rex chapman or kyle korver

Reginald
04-27-2011, 08:18 AM
jimmer is much closer to a steph curry than any of the players you listed.

I needed to start my day with a laugh after last night's game. Thanks for that.

Obviously, I don't get the Jimmer infatuation. The comparison to Alford is unfair to Alford. Just because you can shoot a half-court pull-up jumper doesn't mean you should. Jimmer's shot selection is horrible, and he pretty much ignores his teammates. The speed and athleticism of the NBA game will negate any of his perceived strengths as a scorer.

D-BONE
04-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Jimmer looked slow as molasses to me. Very dubious as to whether he can make the transition, IMO.

pwee31
04-27-2011, 08:22 AM
The pick will be traded. It was almost traded for Mayo at the deadline. It will be traded before or on draft night

Kamiyohk
04-27-2011, 08:39 AM
2011 NBADRAFT, PACERS SELECT
<TABLE id=yui-dt0-bodytable><TBODY hideFocus tabIndex=0><TR id=yui-dt0-bdrow17 class=yui-dt-odd><TD id=yui-dt0-bdrow17-cell137 headers="yui-dt0-th1 ">[/URL]
</TD><TD id=yui-dt0-bdrow17-cell138 headers="yui-dt0-th2 ">[URL="http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jordan-hamilton"]Jordan Hamilton (http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2011)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ballism
04-27-2011, 08:46 AM
The pick will be traded. It was almost traded for Mayo at the deadline. It will be traded before or on draft night

Are you sure anyone will be very interested this time?
Half of first rounders went back to school. And it was already a weak draft. If you are a GM, do you even want to have a no.15 pick this year? You basically draft a 2nd rounder at that spot, and pay him guaranteed 2-3 mil. Would you even trade a couple of future 2nd round picks for our 15th pick? Unless there's someone like Jimmer or a Euro that you really really like, I think you don't bother trading for that pick.

NapTonius Monk
04-27-2011, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't include Reddick on that list. He actually means something to his team.

croz24
04-27-2011, 09:22 AM

Obviously, I don't get the Jimmer infatuation. The comparison to Alford is unfair to Alford. Just because you can shoot a half-court pull-up jumper doesn't mean you should. Jimmer's shot selection is horrible, and he pretty much ignores his teammates. The speed and athleticism of the NBA game will negate any of his perceived strengths as a scorer.

SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
2006-2007 30.9 21.5 4.6 2.8 2.8 1.00 1.8 .2 2.6 .463 .855 .408 1.40
2007-2008 33.1 25.9 4.6 2.9 2.6 1.12 2.0 .4 2.4 .483 .894 .439 1.42
2008-2009 33.7 28.6 4.4 5.6 3.7 1.50 2.5 .2 2.4 .454 .876 .387 1.42

2007-2008 18.5 7.0 1.1 1.7 1.2 1.49 .8 .1 1.3 .407 .854 .336 1.20
2008-2009 33.0 16.2 3.0 4.1 2.6 1.59 1.5 .1 1.3 .480 .847 .382 1.40
2009-2010 31.1 22.1 3.1 4.7 2.7 1.71 1.2 .1 1.1 .458 .892 .440 1.53
2010-2011 35.8 28.9 3.4 4.3 3.5 1.22 1.3 .0 1.3 .452 .894 .396 1.40

pretty much identical numbers across the board with the slightest of advantages going to player #2 from a pure statistical perspective. player #1 is steph curry. player #2 is jimmer fredette. so while you question his shot selection, jimmer is still a 40% 3pt shooter. while you question is ability to share, he still posts better assists and a/t numbers than curry at davidson. and as for the style of play between the two, they were near identicals in college. curry maybe has a small advantage in athleticism. jimmer an advantage in lift on his jumper and body control. how you can laugh at a comparison between the two is laughable in itself.

you must also understand the lack of help jimmer had at byu being the reason he was forced to take so many shots, again that he hit at a very efficient clip. also realize that byu was a top 10 program the last two years jimmer was there. and why anyone would compare an off-the-ball player in steve alford to byu's primary ball handler i have no idea.

Pingu
04-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes, JJ Redick is better than Alford, Bailey and Morrison combined.

Reginald
04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
he still posts better assists and a/t numbers than curry at davidson

Are we looking at the same numbers? By the time he left Davidson, Curry had evolved into a nearly six assists-per-game player, a progression that has continued into the pros and has never been matched by Jimmer. And on an anecdotal level, when Curry's team is trailing in a game I'm guessing his first inclination isn't to chuck up a 30-footer when none of his teammates are under the basket.

Jimmer has skills and can be a human highlight reel. But in the context of close games when every possession counts, he clamors for the spotlight and makes bad decisions that hurt his team.

owl
04-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I would take jimmerat15

vnzla81
04-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Give me either one of the Morris twins.

pacergod2
04-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Give me either one of the Morris twins.

Absolutely would take either twin over almost any of the players projected in the first round.

Outside of the top 5 picks, I like Biyombo and Nogiuera. They are upside picks, but they are both very intriguing. Thompson and Thompkins are two PFs with legit size, but I am not overly aware of either prospect. JaJuan Johnson has the length and athleticism, but he needs to work on his body to be able to handle an NBA season. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I think we could trade down and still get him.

I am all aboard for Markieff Morris though. He is the bigger of the two, although not by a huge margin. He is more used to playing around the basket and is the better rebounder and defender. Marcus has the outside game that is more refined. He is more suited to running the pick and roll, IMO, which is an area of need for us. Marcus is a good rebounder and defender as well. Same with Markieff, offensively. He can knock down the 15-18 footer, but has always just played more of the inside game to let his brother work the outside game better. I really like both of their games' and it would be tragic for me if they both went before our pick.

I don't like many of the prospects in the 6-15 range. There are too many internationals for my liking. I don't care for the Vesely's and Montiejunas's that are projecting in that area. I just don't think they are a great fit for what we need, moreso than them being bad prospects. I like Faried, but he is strictly a PF, IMO and we really need a guy that can play both big spots. I am fairly confident his rebounding will carry over to the NBA pretty well.

Then there is a huge crop of SF/PFs. I would almost put Faried in that category with Singleton, Leonard, Jones, and Singler (he probably projects a bit lower). This is NOT an area of need for us. We absolutely need a PF/C, unless the plan is to bring back Foster, McRoberts, and Barac. Even then, I would draft a PF/C, possibly two. The SF/PF thing might work if we go with a Center in the second round. They would move ahead of Posey in the rotation at SF, moreso than getting minutes at PF.

I am getting the feeling that we will be making a trade or two this off-season, so that would change everything. The one thing I am sure of, is that we need depth/size added to our front court if we keep either of our draft picks.

MyFavMartin
04-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Marcus is undersized and the other one doesn't have much offensive skills. Markieff doesn't bring much more than Tyler, if anything.

Give me Jordan Williams of Maryland. Wide load with low post moves and size, talent, and plenty of potential to develop.

bphil
04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Ugh. Would we really be required to give someone that we take at 15 a guaranteed contract? If we can't trade that pick, do we *have* to select someone? Or can we just pass?

Stern: "And with the number 15 pick in the 2011 NBA draft, the Indiana Pacers select... nobody."

I don't want some useless rookie clown taking Stanko's roster spot...

Unclebuck
04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
I thought this draft was really bad?

bphil
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I thought this draft was really bad?

It is. Beyond Irving and Williams it's a complete crap shoot, with the emphasis on "crap".

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Stern: "And with the number 15 pick in the 2011 NBA draft, the Indiana Pacers select... nobody."

Ha, that would be funny. I guess if it came down to it, we could just trade it for a second rounder and then cut that guy.

diamonddave00
04-27-2011, 12:01 PM
I don't want Jimmer at all. He's slow and plays no defense, when asked how to beat BYU , Steve Alford said go at Jimmer he can't guard anyone. He can be hot and cold with his shot in the NBA he is strictly a reserve as such if he's not hitting he has no value in fact he becomes a major negitive.

Tristen Thompson of Texas is undersized but has a 7'2 reach and a body which can add weight . Young but great potential

ECKrueger
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Oh and no thank you to Jimmer.

ballism
04-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Ugh. Would we really be required to give someone that we take at 15 a guaranteed contract? If we can't trade that pick, do we *have* to select someone? Or can we just pass?

I don't want some useless rookie clown taking Stanko's roster spot...

You can always renounce the player you picked in the 1st round. He simply becomes a free agent. Bulls did that before the last lockout.

Kaufman
04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
didn't we do that back in the 1990's with greg minor from louisville? (renounce)

ballism
04-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Personally, I like Jimmer. Will he be the next Stephen Curry? Probably not - Stephen Curry has an All-NBA basketball IQ next to his shooting, and that's why he is who he is. But Jimmer, despite some bad shots, is generally a very smart player. At least, he's an upgrade over Price.

I don't love any bigs where we pick, and with Lorbek and Stanko in Europe, we don't need another long term Euro prospect big (unless Valanciunas falls hard due to buyout).

Look, stop thinking about this as a no.15 pick. Think about it as a 2nd round pick. Basically, that's what it is this year. Do you want Jimmer at 15 in a good draft? Probably not, given the high chance of busting. Is he a fair risk this year? Sure.

Lou Bega
04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
Terrance Jones (if he falls)

Jordan Hamilton
Tompkins
Tobias Harris

I love this draft. Player projected top 5 are not much better than players projected 10 -15. It was not a good season to tank. I am happy we made the playoffs.

Jimmer, I am not going to knock the man. If the Pacers end up taking him @ 15 Bill Simmons will love us. I just think Mc Roberts is gone and one of the above players will take his minutes. Tompkins has very polished offensive game in the post. Harris can play, but Jordan Hamilton and Terrance Jones could be steals in June.

Rogco
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I think there's some potential point guards in this draft who could back up Collison. From either of our picks I would like:

1. Kemba Walker
2. Kenneth Faried
3. Shelvin Mack
4. Darrius Morris
5. Demetri McCamey

Ideally Faried in the first and McCamey in the second (if Morris and Mack are gone). I think that would be a really solid draft and both would likely sign with the team.

Lou Bega
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
I think there's some potential point guards in this draft who could back up Collison. From either of our picks I would like:

1. Kemba Walker
2. Kenneth Faried
3. Shelvin Mack
4. Darrius Morris
5. Demetri McCamey

Ideally Faried in the first and McCamey in the second (if Morris and Mack are gone). I think that would be a really solid draft and both would likely sign with the team.

Faried is not better than Singleton on Florida State. I dont understand the love fest of Faried. Why do like his game for the Pacers soo much?

Really?
04-27-2011, 01:33 PM
No one will have any idea of how strong/weak this draft will be until may 8th, there are so many underclassmen that have declared that have not yet signed a agent.

People say the middle of the draft is strong and the beginning is weak, but if those players head back it will be scary to say the least.

Reginald
04-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Taking a look at close to 50 mock drafts online, the emerging consensus on who the Pacers should pick at 15 seems to be...there is no consensus. I find Faried and Thompson mildly interesting and wouldn't hate the pick, but I'd prefer to trade out of the 1st round.

I guess it's info worth having, however, so here's what people are projecting in order of preference:

1. Marcus Morris, Kansas -- As close to a consensus as there is. Projected to be Pacers' #1 pick by eight mock drafts.

2. Kenneth Faried, Morehead State -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by four websites.

3. Tristan Thompson, Texas -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

3. John Henson, UNC -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

5. Jan Vesely, Czech Republic -- Two websites

5. Brandon Knight, UK -- Two websites

5. Donatas Motiejunas, Benetton Treviso -- Two websites

Beyond that, there's a logjam of players that all get one nod:

Michael Gilchrist, UK
Trey Thompkins, UGA
Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
Nolan Smith, Duke
Bismack Biyombo, Congo
Jimmer Fredette, BYU
Jordan Hamilton, Texas
Alec Burks, Colorado
Nikola Mirotic, Real Madrid
Tyler Honeycutt, UCLA
Chris Joseph, Syracuse

Hicks
04-27-2011, 01:38 PM
Trade the pick.

If you don't, take the best backup SF or best backup C you can get.

Really?
04-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Taking a look at close to 50 mock drafts online, the emerging consensus on who the Pacers should pick at 15 seems to be...there is no consensus. I find Faried and Thompson mildly interesting and wouldn't hate the pick, but I'd prefer to trade out of the 1st round.

I guess it's info worth having, however, so here's what people are projecting in order of preference:

1. Marcus Morris, Kansas -- As close to a consensus as there is. Projected to be Pacers' #1 pick by eight mock drafts.

2. Kenneth Faried, Morehead State -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by four websites.

3. Tristan Thompson, Texas -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

3. John Henson, UNC -- Projected as Pacers' #1 by three websites.

5. Jan Vesely, Czech Republic -- Two websites

5. Brandon Knight, UK -- Two websites

5. Donatas Motiejunas, Benetton Treviso -- Two websites

Beyond that, there's a logjam of players that all get one nod:

Michael Gilchrist, UK
Trey Thompkins, UGA
Lucas Nogueira, Brazil
Nolan Smith, Duke
Bismack Biyombo, Congo
Jimmer Fredette, BYU
Jordan Hamilton, Texas
Alec Burks, Colorado
Nikola Mirotic, Real Madrid
Tyler Honeycutt, UCLA
Chris Joseph, Syracuse

Dude did u check when these Mocks were made, or even for what year, Gilchrist hasn't even went to college yet, Henson didn't declare. I think you should go back and check and then modify this thread.

No offense

Reginald
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Dude did u check when these Mocks were made, or even for what year, Gilchrist hasn't even went to college yet, Henson didn't declare. I think you should go back and check and then modify this thread.

I make no claims to their accuracy. Just passing it on as a general barometer. Throw out Gilchrist and Henson for all I care. If anything, it's even more telling that the consensus is not only lacking, it seems to be a lot of flat-out guessing.

judicata
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Trade it. I don't want any of the ball-dominate 2s masquerading as PGs or utility knife combo 3/4 players. I'd rather take a project if we're going to keep it.

On the other hand, next year's draft is going to be amazing.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 01:55 PM
No way do Jan Vesely or Brandon Knight drop outside the top 10.

Really?
04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
No way do Jan Vesely or Brandon Knight drop outside the top 10.

Yeah thats the thing, I think that some of these Mocks haven't been updated in a while, probably some back when the college season was still going on..

RWB
04-27-2011, 02:02 PM
What will be interesting is if Bird will select brother Ben if he is available in the 2nd round?

MyFavMartin
04-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Marshon Brooks or Jimmy Butler in the 2nd, if available.

MyFavMartin
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Others that I like in the 1st but don't see as a need pick for the Pacers: Singleton of FSU, Honeycutt of UCLA, Kemba (won't be available at 15)... and whoever I was with the #1 pick, definitely Derrick Williams, who I see a lot of Danny in... Kyrie is good but I'm not sold on him being a superstar... I think Williams is the much better pick talent-wise.

JB24
04-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Draft Nogueira for his awesome nickname (Bebe).

MyFavMartin
04-27-2011, 02:16 PM
I want to see Jamie Skeen of VCU against some of the top PF/C candidates in predraft camps. Could be someone in the 2nd, if he shows well.

Gamble1
04-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I want to see Jamie Skeen of VCU against some of the top PF/C candidates in predraft camps. Could be someone in the 2nd, if he shows well.
He would be a good second rounder.

Personally I would rather trade our first round pick if it means we get a quality player in return.

Justin Tyme
04-27-2011, 02:21 PM

No need to go for a small PF. We have one in Hans now.

MyFavMartin
04-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Minny has the 2nd pick and Kyrie is available. They offer us the pick for PG and DC. Do you do it?

pacer4ever
04-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Minny has the 2nd pick and Kyrie is available. They offer us the pick for PG and DC. Do you do it?

yes Minney doesnt have the 2nd pick they could have any pick 1-3. I would do that deal in a heartbeat.(and i am really high on George)

Justin Tyme
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
funny how you named only white players when in reality, jimmer is much closer to a steph curry than any of the players you listed...

also for every hyped white shooter that happened to not have a successful nba career, i can name you a mark price or scott skiles or rex chapman or kyle korver

It's people like you that can't keep their race comments to themselves that just frosts my ***! Until you mentioned they were all white, I didn't even realize it. What I saw was players who Jimmer could end up being like.

RWB
04-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Marshon Brooks or Jimmy Butler in the 2nd, if available.

I don't follow college ball but it seems Marshon Brooks is getting some pretty good pub for an off ball guard.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Assuming Indiana keeps their pick, a Morris twin will probably be the selection.

Justin Tyme
04-27-2011, 02:51 PM

You can say that after watching PG's "D" on Rose!!!! Let Khan draft another PG.

Trophy
04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Hopefully we trade the pick.

Bird was actively looking to trade last year's pick, but he was really high on Paul so he took him.

This seems like a pretty weak draft. We can use some veterans so I'd package the pick and hopefully get someone decent.

Derek2k3
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Not at all. No freakin way.

Irving = Question mark. You never know exactly how a player will turn out, and the statistics regarding #2 picks are shocking. They rarely work out. Plus, with him being injured and only getting to see a little of his game, he is a huge risk.

If you keep DC and PG (Remember, 2nd year guy and rookie) you have two probable starters for the next 5-10 years, guys who stepped up big at different moments. Let DC get some polish, he should be excellent.

No way do I let two very young players go for a gamble on a player that we know very little about.

I'd like either an athletic 2 or a big 4/5. Personally.

Really?
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
What will be interesting is if Bird will select brother Ben if he is available in the 2nd round?

What will be interesting is if Bird stays around another year

I was thinking about that yesterday, Guy is long and slim,but Has a unique type of game, Not sure how long it would take him to add strength but he could end up being a future lottery pick if he went to college and gained weight and strength.

Guy is thinner than John Henson, lol

I don't think I would, I like Kyrie's game and I think that he does have some CP3 in him but he is a unproven rookie that only played in half of his college games...

Actually I might, lol I think I am torn right now.... if Kyrie was a little faster it would be a no brainer.... Glad I'm not a GM ;)

croz24
04-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Are we looking at the same numbers?

1.00, 1.12, 1.50 a/t davidson
1.49, 1.59, 1.71, 1.22 a/t at byu

not sure what a/t numbers you are looking at. the point was a cumulative look at these players' college careers. jimmer averaged more assists prior to curry's last year as well.

Derek2k3
04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

not sure what a/t numbers you are looking at. the point was a cumulative look at these players' college careers. jimmer averaged more assists prior to curry's last year as well.

Personally, I don't like Jimmers game.

However, I found the stats you posted very surprising. I wouldn't have thought that at all.

Although I don't like his game, based on his stats you make a good argument for at least considering him.

Don't forget, Curry was forced to play the 1, and he has the advantage of 2 guys that will help rack up the assists in Monta and David Lee.

I just don't think Jimmer fits with our needs. Not a great driver, not a good defender...he would be a perfect role player like Korver. Bring him off the bench 10-18 min a game, let him take 5-10 shots, if he gets hot he wins you a few games. But, I don't know if that kind of player is worth a 15 pick.

RWB
What will be interesting is if Bird stays around another year

The way he was chewing on that thumb makes me think he's sticking around. Bird actually showed some real nervous passion and I think he would miss that.

croz24
It's people like you that can't keep their race comments to themselves that just frosts my ***! Until you mentioned they were all white, I didn't even realize it. What I saw was players who Jimmer could end up being like.

people like me huh? the fact that you didn't realize a player being compared to 4 others for the sole purpose of pointing out previous great white college players who could shoot that failed in the nba is probably an inclination that you have become numb to stereotypes regarding basketball players.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Kyrie reminds me a lot of Isiah Thomas. He has a lot of different gears, and knows how and when to use them. He's not quite as fast as wall or quite as athletic as Rose, but he's got a higher basketball IQ than both of them combined. I'd take him #1 in a heartbeat over Williams.

Derek2k3
04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Can we maybe keep the "race" discussion out of this thread? Not useful.

C'mon, guys.

ballism
04-27-2011, 03:21 PM
How come it's ok to stereotype white Euros, yet it's terrible to stereotype white Americans? :p

Kstat
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Nobody sterotypes Euros. They stereotype European basketball. It isn't a race thing, it's American basketball vs. European basketball. Few people here trust the European system of developing players, big men especially.

Foreign players who come here to play college ball on their way to the NBA generally don't get the soft label.

Really?
04-27-2011, 03:25 PM

Personally, I don't like Jimmers game.

However, I found the stats you posted very surprising. I wouldn't have thought that at all.

Although I don't like his game, based on his stats you make a good argument for at least considering him.

Don't forget, Curry was forced to play the 1, and he has the advantage of 2 guys that will help rack up the assists in Monta and David Lee.

I just don't think Jimmer fits with our needs. Not a great driver, not a good defender...he would be a perfect role player like Korver. Bring him off the bench 10-18 min a game, let him take 5-10 shots, if he gets hot he wins you a few games. But, I don't know if that kind of player is worth a 15 pick.

Easy not to have as many turnovers when you just dribble to half court and then shoot it, lol j/p. He had alot of drives to the hoop too...

ballism
04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
So, Serge Ibaka or Biyombo have also been stereotyped as softies who shoot too much? Since they also come from Euroball. :p

Anyway, don't want to start a serious discussion on this. We aren't bothered by it as much as you guys on the other size of the ocean. We can stand racial or ethnic jokes, as long as there are no more genocides every 20 years in Europe.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Biyombo has played in Europe for what, 10 minutes?

DemonHunter1105
04-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Assuming Indiana keeps their pick, a Morris twin will probably be the selection.

I never even thought of that before, which is kind of mind-blowing because I have followed Kansas to an extent ever since Rush went there. I feel like you are going to end up being right, I would just prefer someone bigger although I guess they are listed at 6'10ish which isn't bad.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
well, they're both big, they just don't play very big, which is why they aren't locks to be lottery picks.

It also hurts that they're both twins in the same draft, which generally drops players a little lower than they should be.

Talent-wise, Marcus of Markiff would be good value at #15. Marcus would be a little better fit for how Indiana wants to play. They badly need another frontcourt scorer to come off the bench.

ballism
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Biyombo has played in Europe for what, 10 minutes?

Since he was 16, I believe.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 03:40 PM
ok, so 15 minutes.

wintermute
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM

Regarding Faried, I'm a big fan too. At 6'8'' he's probably a little undersized, but his length and athleticism helps make up for it. Certainly he plays bigger than his listed height. And he might actually be taller than Big Ben, who by some accounts is just 6'6'' and certainly no more than 6'8''.

Also like what I've seen of Tristan Thompson.

Not sure how accurate this is, but this link (found via DX) claims that Marcus Morris measured out at 6'9'' with a 6'7'' wingspan.

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/06/28/nike_skills_academies_complete_high_school,_colleg e_rosters

For comparison's sake, that's the same wingspan that 6'2'' Shelvin Mack has! Really concerning if you're expecting Marcus Morris to be your starting PF. To be fair, it's not an official NBA measurement. And there have been successful players with relatively short arms (say Blake Griffin and Kevin Love, both 6'10'' with 6'11'' wingspans). 6'7'' for a 6'9'' guy is really T-rex arms territory though.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Indiana has a starting PF. They need a backup PF that can score.

Marcus Morris is a shooter, not really a pure post up player, so wingspan is not much of an issue there.

Faried resembles Reggie Evans to me. He's not a great man to man defender. Awesome rebounder, though.

MyFavMartin
04-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Marv Alberts will still call him Granger. :laugh:

imbtyler
04-27-2011, 04:18 PM
2011 NBADRAFT, PACERS SELECT
<TABLE id=yui-dt0-bodytable><TBODY hideFocus tabIndex=0><TR id=yui-dt0-bdrow17 class=yui-dt-odd><TD id=yui-dt0-bdrow17-cell137 headers="yui-dt0-th1 ">[/URL]
</TD><TD id=yui-dt0-bdrow17-cell138 headers="yui-dt0-th2 ">[URL="http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jordan-hamilton"]Jordan Hamilton (http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_trades/2011)
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I really don't think we need another mid-sized wing to fill our 2/3 spots. If we keep half of our wings, we're still overstocked at the position. Also, DX says (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jordan-Hamilton-1321/) this about him:

Never really finding his groove coming off the bench on a team featuring three players picked in the 2010 draft, Hamilton was incredibly inconsistent from game to game last year, showing significant issues with his shot-selection, defense and in turn his body language when faced with adversity.

I don't think we need another inconsistent player with shot selection issues, struggling defense, and an attitude problem. I used to think highly of him, but now, PASS.

We need a taller point guard with court vision, a banger power forward and a strong center, all to backup our current starters. That, of course, is pending any other moves we make this offseason. I can't think of anyone else in this draft whom we could take advantage of, or be able to reach, so I suggest we trade the pick for a potential lotto pick next year, and try picking up other assets through trades and signings.

ballism
04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Foreign players who come here to play college ball on their way to the NBA generally don't get the soft label.

ok, so 15 minutes.

College lasts what, 7 minutes on average? :)
Look man, you are trying to overthink a simple thing here. Which leads to bad logic. There's no magic period you need to spend in Europe or college to get stereotyped. People who know how long a player spent in one league, generally know enough about that player not to stereotype him.
People who stereotype - they mostly aren't that sophisticated on the subject.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 04:53 PM
College lasts what, 7 minutes on average? :)
Look man, you are trying to overthink a simple thing here. Which leads to bad logic. There's no magic period you need to spend in Europe or college to get stereotyped. People who know how long a player spent in one league, generally know enough about that player not to stereotype him.
People who stereotype - they mostly aren't that sophisticated on the subject.

...and yet you're here stereotyping Americans as stereotyping Europeans :laugh:

TheDon
04-27-2011, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Biyombo we might as well swing for the fences. Didn't this guy get or was close to getting a triple double in the worlds game with rebounds blocks and points?

Also if this draft is so awful outside of williams and irving. Is there any team in the league that has a higher pick that would possible consider trading their pick away for just some salary relief and give us a chance to move up if we so choose?

Kstat
04-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I don't see Biyombo escaping the top 10, either.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 05:28 PM
Also if this draft is so awful outside of williams and irving. Is there any team in the league that has a higher pick that would possible consider trading their pick away for just some salary relief and give us a chance to move up if we so choose?

No team would do that simply for the PR nightmare. I could see someone trading their pick for a future 1st, though.

wintermute
04-27-2011, 06:01 PM
No team would do that simply for the PR nightmare. I could see someone trading their pick for a future 1st, though.

Clippers traded away their pick (#8 overall) to unload Baron Davis' contract.

pacer4ever
04-27-2011, 06:02 PM

They said they did it because the draft was really that weak.

Kstat
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM

I'm saying you don't do it on draft day. If fans are looking forward to a new player and you hand them cap space, it's a tough pill to swallow.

ballism
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
...and yet you're here stereotyping Americans as stereotyping Europeans :laugh:

I think you are stereotyping me as stereotyping Americans as stereotyping Euros :laugh:
Otherwise you'd have noticed that (in the post you just quoted) I said that the stereotype isn't used by everyone.

Or maybe you mean, there's no 'soft Euro shooter' stereotype at all? :p There was a thread here not long ago about Valanciunas. One of the first posts - something along the lines of 'no thanks, don't want Euro shooters who are lazy to defend'. That's an extreme example, since that particular player is 100% energy right now, and next to 0 shooting skills, kind of a young Splitter. But man, that Dirk/Bargnani stereotype keeps coming up in all the wrong spots. :)

Kstat
04-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I think you are stereotyping me as stereotyping Americans as stereotyping Euros :laugh:
Otherwise you'd have noticed that (in the post you just quoted) I said that the stereotype isn't used by everyone.

Or maybe you mean, there's no 'soft Euro shooter' stereotype at all? :p There was a thread here not long ago about Valanciunas. One of the first posts - something along the lines of 'no thanks, don't want Euro shooters who are lazy to defend'. That's an extreme example, since that particular player is 100% energy right now, and next to 0 shooting skills, kind of a young Splitter. But man, that Dirk/Bargnani stereotype keeps coming up in all the wrong spots. :)

Nobody stereotyped Jonas Jerebko as soft. Nobody with half a brain calls Valanciunas soft. Nobody calls Enis Kanter soft. Jan Vesely is rail-thin, and I haven't even heard the soft labl attached to him. Other than king ADD Donatas Motiejunas and maybe Mirotic, I see no "soft" Euros in this draft.

There are soft euro shooters, just like there are soft American shooters. JJ Reddick went from the ACC's all time leading scorer to having to prove he even belonged in the NBA.

Reginald
04-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Some are VERY outdated. So much in fact they actually have the Pacers picking at 12th.

ballism
04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Nobody stereotyped Jonas Jerebko as soft. Nobody with half a brain calls Valanciunas soft. Nobody calls Enis Kanter soft. Jan Vesely is rail-thin, and I haven't even heard the soft labl attached to him. Other than king ADD Donatas Motiejunas and maybe Mirotic, I see no "soft" Euros in this draft.

There are soft euro shooters, just like there are soft American shooters. JJ Reddick went from the ACC's all time leading scorer to having to prove he even belonged in the NBA.

Exactly, people with half a brain (and some knowledge) avoid stereotypes.

Banta
04-27-2011, 08:28 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Kawhi Leonard. Maybe locals didn't get to see much of him because he was on the west coast. Seems like a good selection at 15.

judicata
04-27-2011, 08:43 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Kawhi Leonard. Maybe locals didn't get to see much of him because he was on the west coast. Seems like a good selection at 15.

At the position we're selecting, I'd rather take a shot on an upside guy that does something that is not duplicative, like a slashing wing, a long defensive big, or a big PG. Plus guys like Jimmer and Kawhi need to work out and measure well. They only play against guys that will be in the NBA a couple of times a year in their respective leagues. Obviously that isn't a deal breaker, but I am not confident in measuring their potential against inferior competition alone.

cdash
04-27-2011, 08:52 PM
I want Ivan Renko. 6'8 230 pound Yugoslav big man. I think he's going to be the real deal.

BringJackBack
04-27-2011, 09:07 PM
:laugh: I love that cdash. I don't want to give it away, but all I am going to say is Bob Knight.

Read the book a long time ago.

Banta
04-27-2011, 09:16 PM
At the position we're selecting, I'd rather take a shot on an upside guy that does something that is not duplicative, like a slashing wing, a long defensive big, or a big PG. Plus guys like Jimmer and Kawhi need to work out and measure well. They only play against guys that will be in the NBA a couple of times a year in their respective leagues. Obviously that isn't a deal breaker, but I am not confident in measuring their potential against inferior competition alone.

Honestly, I think Leonard meets all your criteria.

Its official: we're taking Leonard. :happydanc

owl
04-27-2011, 09:21 PM
No need to go for a small PF. We have one in Hans now.

Tyler never led the nation in rebounding. Faried is a different kind of player.

Justin Tyme
04-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Tyler never led the nation in rebounding. Fareid is a different kind of player.

Yes, and at Moorehead he wasn't playing against the greatest competition either. Sorry, the Pacers don't need another undersized PF, they need size up front. Preferably one that can play the 4/5, play "D", help Hibbert in the paint. How is he playing the P&R? I don't see Faried doing any of these things.

owl
04-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I won't deny the Pacers need another big. I am the king of "get another bigman land",I would prefer to get an experienced big now instead of developing one. Nene comes to mind. So if that can be done then use that pick on someone with a singularly unique talent. That is why I like Faried, plus he rebounds relentlessly. Or pick possibly a Jimmer for another unique talent, long range shooting. Or trade down and get Johnson and a Nolan Smith/Travis Leslie/Darius Morris type player.

ballism
04-27-2011, 10:01 PM
I want Ivan Renko. 6'8 230 pound Yugoslav big man. I think he's going to be the real deal.

I saw a couple games with him, very athletic, huge energy on D but most importantly - incredible IQ. Might be the next Tony Kukoc. However, there's been some questions about his age - I heard he once outplayed Sabonis in the 90s.

Dr. Awesome
04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
2006-2007 30.9 21.5 4.6 2.8 2.8 1.00 1.8 .2 2.6 .463 .855 .408 1.40
2007-2008 33.1 25.9 4.6 2.9 2.6 1.12 2.0 .4 2.4 .483 .894 .439 1.42

2007-2008 18.5 7.0 1.1 1.7 1.2 1.49 .8 .1 1.3 .407 .854 .336 1.20
2008-2009 33.0 16.2 3.0 4.1 2.6 1.59 1.5 .1 1.3 .480 .847 .382 1.40
2010-2011 35.8 28.9 3.4 4.3 3.5 1.22 1.3 .0 1.3 .452 .894 .396 1.40

pretty much identical numbers across the board with the slightest of advantages going to player #2 from a pure statistical perspective. player #1 is steph curry. player #2 is jimmer fredette. so while you question his shot selection, jimmer is still a 40% 3pt shooter. while you question is ability to share, he still posts better assists and a/t numbers than curry at davidson. and as for the style of play between the two, they were near identicals in college. curry maybe has a small advantage in athleticism. jimmer an advantage in lift on his jumper and body control. how you can laugh at a comparison between the two is laughable in itself.

you must also understand the lack of help jimmer had at byu being the reason he was forced to take so many shots, again that he hit at a very efficient clip. also realize that byu was a top 10 program the last two years jimmer was there. and why anyone would compare an off-the-ball player in steve alford to byu's primary ball handler i have no idea.

Okay, I've kept my mouth shut on this subject for a while but this post did me in.

To start, your comparing Fredette's number as a senior to Curry's as a junior. Every year they were at the same level Curry obliterated his stats and if you were to throw the Senior version of Curry he would have torn the NCAA a new one. He is at the NBA level getting better every year.

Curry also played against MUCH better competition year round. Davidson was scheduled against Duke, Carolina, UCLA, or whatever a lot. Then in the NCAA tourny absolutely destroyed top teams in the Nation - including the Hibbert lead Hoyas.

I can see Fredette being a nice spark off the bench for short periods of time in the NBA. He will not be able to defend anyone in the NBA though.

The comparison between the two starts and ends at two good college players taking a smaller school to the big stage. Fredette won't make anything close to the same impact Curry has made in the NBA.

croz24
04-28-2011, 12:20 AM
ok then compare each's junior stats...

still fairly equal when you consider jimmer was the more efficient shooter as evidenced by the higher fg, ft, 3pt%s and the much higher pps. you also want to talk about competition? understand that the mountain west was ranked as the 4th toughest conference in college basketball this year whereas in curry's junior year at davidson, southern ranked 20th out of 31 conferences. mountain west ranked 7th that year btw. also, all it takes is watching these players play in college to see the similarities in their games. so you can try bashing my post all you'd like, but it's an educated post.

IndyPacer
04-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Jimmer is the most frightening aspect of this draft to me. I would be relieved if he is taken before #15. He was an awesome college player, but I don't see how he would be able to guard anyone at the NBA level.

I certainly wouldn't be upset if Tristan Thompson was our pick, but I don't think he'll be available at #15.

trailrunner
04-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Kyrie reminds me a lot of Isiah Thomas. He has a lot of different gears, and knows how and when to use them. He's not quite as fast as wall or quite as athletic as Rose, but he's got a higher basketball IQ than both of them combined. I'd take him #1 in a heartbeat over Williams.

I am not sure I would take him over Williams but I do feel he will be a star.

judicata
04-28-2011, 01:00 AM
MWC was hugely overrated on account of SDSU and BYU's records. The bottom line is that Jimmer didn't play NBA talent until the tourney.

croz24
04-28-2011, 01:37 AM
sdsu, byu, utah, unlv, air force, and new mexico have all been ranked or tournament teams in the last 3 years... and also you severely overrate "playing against nba talent". when you look at the actual numbers, mid-major teams like butler, air force, sdsu, utah state consistently rank among the best defensive teams in the country because unlike the "major" schools, the mids play defense as a team. butler didn't make back to back finals because of their offense afterall... if you want the perfect example, go watch steph curry's game against butler in the bracketbuster a few years back.

just because chris kramer, dane fife, ronald nored, jarvis varnado, willie veasley aren't or weren't nba players, doesn't make them bad defenders

CooperManning
04-28-2011, 01:43 AM
Yes, and at Moorehead he wasn't playing against the greatest competition either. Sorry, the Pacers don't need another undersized PF, they need size up front. Preferably one that can play the 4/5, play "D", help Hibbert in the paint. How is he playing the P&R? I don't see Faried doing any of these things.

But who's going to be there at 15 that fits that bill? Seemingly no one. That's the problem.

Kraft
04-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Faried had double-doubles against Louisville (12-17), Ohio State (15-12) and Florida (20-18). Yes, the rest of his competition was watered down. Was he supposed to play 1-on-5 against the big boys on his off days?

I saw enough to think his motor and rebounding tenacity can translate into a solid bench PF. You aren't looking for any more than that at No. 15.

judicata
04-28-2011, 03:06 AM
sdsu, byu, utah, unlv, air force, and new mexico have all been ranked or tournament teams in the last 3 years... and also you severely overrate "playing against nba talent". when you look at the actual numbers, mid-major teams like butler, air force, sdsu, utah state consistently rank among the best defensive teams in the country because unlike the "major" schools, the mids play defense as a team. butler didn't make back to back finals because of their offense afterall... if you want the perfect example, go watch steph curry's game against butler in the bracketbuster a few years back.

just because chris kramer, dane fife, ronald nored, jarvis varnado, willie veasley aren't or weren't nba players, doesn't make them bad defenders

How many teams did the BE put in the tourney this year alone? 2 years ago the ACC put in 9 teams. I'm not impressed that the MWC put 6 teams in the tourney over 3 years.

There is no doubt that major schools have more talented players, on average, than the MWC. They put more players in the league.

Butler is a great team with a fantastic coach that played exceptionally well. I don't see how that makes Jimmer play anyone of note during the regular season.

Reginald
04-28-2011, 09:25 AM
After reading everyone's comments, listening to Wells on the Dan Dakich Show and waking up this morning to the Kravitz one-on-one with Bird, my total and complete hunch is Bird gets his scorer via trade/free agency and his big via the draft. The Pacers' love affair with Mayo is seemingly still going strong, and I think if Faried and/or Thompson drop to 15 they pull the trigger.

I like that Faried has four years under his belt and some eye-popping stats in categories where the Pacers are hurting. His 13.3 rpg led the nation, and even more surprisingly he led his conference in steals at 2.3 per game. That's a very active big man right there. Still, I think his ceiling is lower than Thompson's. Not that it matters, as I'm pretty sure the decision will be out of our hands come 15 and Thompson will already be gone.

owl
04-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Faried had double-doubles against Louisville (12-17), Ohio State (15-12) and Florida (20-18). Yes, the rest of his competition was watered down. Was he supposed to play 1-on-5 against the big boys on his off days?

I saw enough to think his motor and rebounding tenacity can translate into a solid bench PF. You aren't looking for any more than that at No. 15.

Took the words right out of my mouth. I was going to post those numbers but was too lazy.
Faried will help the team. Heck, would you take an upgrade of Tyler on your team?
He is a better rebounder and shot blocker. I don't think Faried has any less drive than Tyler.
Offensively Tyler is better. I think the Pacers could do much worse at 15.

Sandman21
04-28-2011, 08:08 PM

I could live with getting one of the two.

ReginaldWayne
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM

These are the exact same things some people were saying about Stephen Curry.

90'sNBARocked
04-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I really, really hope our draft pick is included as part of a trade

15th in what looks to be a real crappy draft

Dr. Awesome
04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
ok then compare each's junior stats...

still fairly equal when you consider jimmer was the more efficient shooter as evidenced by the higher fg, ft, 3pt%s and the much higher pps. you also want to talk about competition? understand that the mountain west was ranked as the 4th toughest conference in college basketball this year whereas in curry's junior year at davidson, southern ranked 20th out of 31 conferences. mountain west ranked 7th that year btw. also, all it takes is watching these players play in college to see the similarities in their games. so you can try bashing my post all you'd like, but it's an educated post.
I didn't say anything about Curry's conference, I said competition. Davidson played a lot of top schools. Did BYU play anyone in top 25 other than SDSU? They might have, I wasn't paying attention, but I know Curry was playing UNC, Duke, UCLA, Georgetown, ect.

IndyPacer
04-29-2011, 12:02 AM
...The Pacers' love affair with Mayo is seemingly still going strong, and I think if Faried and/or Thompson drop to 15 they pull the trigger.

I like that Faried has four years under his belt and some eye-popping stats in categories where the Pacers are hurting. His 13.3 rpg led the nation, and even more surprisingly he led his conference in steals at 2.3 per game. That's a very active big man right there. Still, I think his ceiling is lower than Thompson's. Not that it matters, as I'm pretty sure the decision will be out of our hands come 15 and Thompson will already be gone.

I think that's how it will play out. I'd take Thompson if both were available, but I do not expect him to be there. I'd be just fine with Faried. He's the type of player I like, and I think being a inch short in height tends to be overblown in draft talk. Faried has long arms and is very athletic. He's also fairly quick compared to most PFs. I think he'd be a steady contributor at the pro level. I think my strategy after picking him would be making sure he's as strong as he can get for his frame and really drilling a few moves inside, a spot near the basket he can learn to hit consistently, and getting that FT percentage up. I'd love to see him learn the tricks of the trade under a vet like Jeff Foster, too.