PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest wins NBA J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award

PacersFan1991
04-26-2011, 03:14 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/NBAonESPN/status/62955010274770944

Ron Artest is the 2010-11 recipient of the NBA J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award for outstanding service and dedication to the community.

MrSparko
04-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Didn't Miller win this one year? Congrats to Artest he's always had a big heart.

Gamble1
04-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Does it count if his community service was court ordered?

BRushWithDeath
04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Of all the players I've gotten to know over the years, not one was as genuinely nice a guy as Ron Artest.

It's a shame he's bat**** crazy.

Shade
04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
In other news, I just won the Sports Fan Optimist of the Year Award.

MyFavMartin
04-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Good for Ron.

docpaul
04-26-2011, 05:16 PM
This message board rocks.

pacerwaala
04-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Does it count if his community service was court ordered?

Post of the year.

rock747
04-27-2011, 12:22 AM
They always somehow become wonderful humanitarians once they become a Laker.

pacerwaala
04-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Ron gets the award before the Lakers game, takes the trophy and runs over to Reggie and hugs him. In the game broadcast, Reggie genuinely says nice things about Ron. "I am not going to revisit what Ron did back in Indiana, we should just look forward, This is a kid who donated a lot to create mental health awareness, etc, etc."

Bless Reggie's heart for swallowing all the bad that Ron did which affected his chances of a championship and saying some nice things about Ron Ron.

Hoop
04-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Ron Artest is dead to me, I'll never forgive him. Not just for the brawl, for bailing after the fact and blowing up this franchise.

In other news, Charles Manson got inmate of the year.

Ransom
04-27-2011, 12:59 AM
I think it's good that he's applied himself to work off the court with the Lakers.

My problem is less the brawl, and asking to be traded, than his record of violence against women. People can change and do good things, but I feel like some things "disqualify" you from certain honors.

IndyPacer
04-27-2011, 01:36 AM
I'm actually not all that surprised. He had some genuine mental health problems a few years ago. Now he has most of that under control. Having severe problems with mood instability isn't the same thing as being a bad person. I'll admit that it really sucked that it wasn't addressed while he was here and his explosions led to the meltdown of the team.

Tom White
04-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Ron gets the award before the Lakers game, takes the trophy and runs over to Reggie and hugs him. In the game broadcast, Reggie genuinely says nice things about Ron. "I am not going to revisit what Ron did back in Indiana, we should just look forward, This is a kid who donated a lot to create mental health awareness, etc, etc."

Bless Reggie's heart for swallowing all the bad that Ron did which affected his chances of a championship and saying some nice things about Ron Ron.

I'll just make a reminder that after Reggie retired and joined TNT, the studio guys tried to get him to talk about the problems the Pacers had. Part of his answer was the Pacers had a lot more and bigger problems than Ron Artest. Seems Reggie always knew Ron wasn't the worst apple in the box.

PacersFan1991
05-05-2011, 01:14 AM
That elbow tonight makes me wish they would take the award away from him.

Hoop
05-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Yep, good :censored: call NBA, I bet you're real proud. :rolleyes:

Kstat
05-05-2011, 01:31 AM
Keep in mind, citizenship and sportsmanship are two different things.

Hoop
05-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Keep in mind, citizenship and sportsmanship are two different things.
Yes, but Ron is still a time bomb for something stupid to happen. Anyone should see that by now. He should NOT have won that award period.

I don't think he will ever function very good on any other team, the Lakers are probably one of his last stops. Some other team might give him a chance and they'll be sorry, if he can't stay in line on the Lakers, he won't anywhere else.

The dude will be out of the league and dead broke in a few years.

Kstat
05-05-2011, 01:39 AM
The guy is mentally challenged. I don't think he's stupid.

Constellations
05-05-2011, 04:43 AM
The guy is mentally challenged. I don't think he's stupid.

It's not safe to have a mentally challenged guy like Ron in the NBA, just ask Detroit.

BillS
05-05-2011, 10:46 AM
It's not safe to have a mentally challenged guy like Ron in the NBA, just ask Detroit.

Dunno why you'd ask Detroit, one could argue they benefited quite a bit from Ron.

Kid Minneapolis
05-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I'll just make a reminder that after Reggie retired and joined TNT, the studio guys tried to get him to talk about the problems the Pacers had. Part of his answer was the Pacers had a lot more and bigger problems than Ron Artest. Seems Reggie always knew Ron wasn't the worst apple in the box.

Hold the phone! You can speculate all you want about what went on behind the scenes back in those days, but at the end of the day, the isolated event of just the reaction of Artest to John Green and the subsequent events which entailed due to that reaction (this is completely disregarding the *other* incidents of Artest that could easily label him as the worst apple in the box) hurt this franchise more than any management issues we may have had (which every organization has... every one), or behind-the-scenes drama, or any player. As "good of a guy" as Artest is, his lapse in judgement on that night in Detriot *crippled* this franchise for years. That by far labels him as the worst apple in the box. He might have also been the most enticing apple in the box, but ultimately he was also the worst. He was a risk... a high-risk, high-reward situation, and we took the risk and got smoked for it. Sometimes you win... and (more often than not) you lose when you gamble. That was loss. He has even gone on record since as saying that he wishes he could do this all over again. I believe him in that regard! I really do believe he has a very good side to him... but he has another side to him that isn't ideal, and he has to make a concerted effort to control it, and sometimes.... he loses control. Bad things happen then. His "moment" last night shows that he still has this side to him, and that sometimes... he loses control of it.

Larry Staverman
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Watching the end of the Lakers game last night was like a journey down memory lane.