PDA

View Full Version : Differences in reporting

ECKrueger
04-26-2011, 01:42 PM
Vogel:"we feel like if we win tonight we'll win the series."

Vogel:"If we win tonight we'll win the series."

Coach FV says if IND wins tonight, it's their series. I never play the lottery, but if this transpires I will let FV pick me some #'s.

From Brunner, Wells, and Boyle's twitters respectively. This is why I don't really believe everything on Twitter. First quote is fine. Second one is totally different by leaving out just three words. The last one just interprets it wrong in my opinion.

Don't always believe, read into, or make assumptions based on things you see on Twitter.

90'sNBARocked
04-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Twitter confuses the hell out of me bro

ur not alone

ECKrueger
04-26-2011, 01:59 PM
I just don't like how they leave words out of the quote. The first one is totally different than the second in my opinion.

MagicRat
04-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Wells says it's the same thing.....

MagicRat
04-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Kravitz chimes in with "If we win tonight well win the series...."

MagicRat
04-26-2011, 02:28 PM
According to sources at Pacer Digest, Frank has now said "If we win tonight, we'll win the championship."

ECKrueger
04-26-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't think it is. One makes it sound like that is how they feel and the other makes it sound like they are guaranteeing it. Granted this is a minor difference all in all, but this is the type of editing that is possible on Twitter, and it is why I am usually skeptical of most things on there.

BRushWithDeath
04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't think it is. One makes it sound like that is how they feel and the other makes it sound like they are guaranteeing it. Granted this is a minor difference all in all, but this is the type of editing that is possible on Twitter, and it is why I am usually skeptical of most things on there.

It's possible in all print media.

Twitter, newspaper, blog, magazine, etc.

MagicRat
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM

I don't think it is, either. That's the response I got when I asked him about it, though.....

ilive4sports
04-26-2011, 02:44 PM
I really don't see the difference in the first two. I guess taking the "we feel" part out makes it a little more ballsy, but it still means the exact same thing. And Boyle just interpreted it for what it means in a more ballsy way. None of these guys did anything wrong. They are more of just holding Frank to what he said.

ECKrueger
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
To me, in one he is saying it as if it is their opinion and the other he is stating it as a fact. It's not a huge difference, but it almost makes it sound like a promise or guarantee instead of an opinion.

This particular quote is not really that big of a deal, it just made me think of how much things can be altered on Twitter, or as BRush pointed out, any media.

Will Galen
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM

But it's not. Brunner presents it more as information, Well's reports it as bulletin board material, which is his reporting style.

joeyd
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't think it is, either. That's the response I got when I asked him about it, though.....

I just had to thank you, if only for the "Stare-down" avatar!

Haywoode Workman
04-26-2011, 03:23 PM

any way you can post your av as a bigger jpg? i really wanna make it my facebook pic but i'm computer illiterate so i'm not sure how to get it bigger.

asmithxc
04-26-2011, 04:08 PM
But it's not. Brunner presents it more as information, Well's reports it as bulletin board material, which is his reporting style.

Agreed. One is a glimpse into the mindsight of the team; the other is a prediction.

IndySDExport
04-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Well, It's all over everything now. Real GM and ESPN etc. Interestingly, They all do the same thing as well. Their headline is a la Mike Wells and the actual bodies of the articles have the real quote.

All right Pacers, Time to back up Frank's quote with Indiana Basketball.

Magic P
04-26-2011, 04:29 PM
ESPN, "Vogel: If we win Tuesday we're winning the championship."

ECKrueger
04-26-2011, 06:11 PM
I don't know where you saw that, but all I see is this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=6431907

which has the full quote.

Magic P
04-26-2011, 06:46 PM
I made that up since ESPN likes to exaggerate it's quotes.

bellisimo
05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
just saw this headline on NBA.com today:

"After rolling past the Pacers, will the Bulls get a test from the Hawks? Steve Aschburner examines." :wtf:

Sandman21
05-01-2011, 06:17 PM
just saw this headline on NBA.com today:

"After rolling past the Pacers, will the Bulls get a test from the Hawks? Steve Aschburner examines." :wtf:

Jon Barry wrote the headline. :D